Huge games when one team was completely outclassed

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Both Champions League finals against Barcelona.
Revisionism at it's finest. We were outclassed in the 2011 final but the 2009 final was quite an even affair where we had loads of chances and periods where we pushed Barca back. They were deserved winners but we weren't outclassed by any means.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
That United City game at the Etihad, basically gave the winner all the impetus to win the league. We only lost 1-0 but it was such a cowardly performance. He didn't do it often, but Fergie got that absolutely wrong! Don't think we had a shot on target, which was really bad under Fergie.

Zen

I'd guess I'd go with the Bayern-Barca 2013 Semi's..... I was kinda stunned at how much such a stacked team did actually rely on Messi.

Zen

Revisionism at it's finest. We were outclassed in the 2011 final but the 2009 final was quite an even affair where we had loads of chances and periods where we pushed Barca back. They were deserved winners but we weren't outclassed by any means.
Nah - they were a little nervy, but United were clearly put in their place, but I agree, it's the not place for either game in this thread. For me, they went the way they should of really, the second Barca pummelled Madrid 6-2 a few weeks earlier, I knew they were special - regardless of Chelsea doing what they did, Utd under SAF were never built to play like Chelsea, so was always gonna be a struggle.

Chief123

Taking from the thread “trophies the losing side should of won” I was thinking of matches that were huge or massively important where one team was totally outclassed.
As a United fan the final against Barca in 2011 stands out
Brazil getting trashed by Germany 7-1 in the WC.
I can think of some matches but not many were a team was totally outclassed any opinions ?
Unpopular opinion, but I’d have to throw our 2-3 win away to Brighton this season.

Still can’t believe we won that game. Brighton hitting the woodwork 5 times and having huge chance after chance!

Not so much “outclassed” but we were definitely not the better team.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Nah, we lost 3 goals chasing the game after Fletcher scored. Had we not scored that goal we would have lost by 3 nil. And if im not mistaken we lost the title on GD that seaon. Think of that ....thats either gd of 10 or 6 goals.
A lot of posts are just naming big scores rather than “outclassings”.

If anything, I’d say the game at the Etihad towards the end of that season was more appropriate for this thread. It was probably the biggest Manchester derby of all time and City looked comfortably superior.

PoTMS

Nope. We played well for the first ten minutes then they scored and proceeded to give us a footballing lesson.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nope. We played well for the first ten minutes then they scored and proceeded to give us a footballing lesson.
Nah. They were the better team but there's a big difference between being better and outclassing the other team. Being outclassed means literally having no hope of winning during the course of the game and that is not how the 2009 final panned out.

G-MUFC

Has no one mentioned the United vs Arsenal FA cup final where we battered them for 120 minutes and they won on penalties?
THIS! To this day I have no idea how we lost that FA Cup final. It was 2005 and Ronaldo absolutely destroyed Lauren. Ruud missed chance after chance.
We were class that day and although we lost it was an indication of where we were heading with that squad. What a team that turned into!!

stubie

Milan 4-0 Barcelona
Real M 2-6 Barcelona
United 6-1 Arsenal

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The CL final 2012 :mad:
I was on a weekend trip with a friend in Liège and we watched it in a bar.
The one time I wanted Bayern to win a game they bottle it. Iirc Chelsea had almost half their team out or suspended and they weren’t that good anymore in Europe anyway (they were much better between 2004 and 2009) and Bayern were playing at home. But Bayern couldn’t finish their dinner that night!
Chelsea didn’t “deserve” to win the cup that year however on balance at least their senior players probably deserved to win the CL. They were the closest / most unfortunate side not to win it when they were actually good (that “goal” in 2005 Liverpool scored, THAT game in 2009 against Barca with all those referee decisions and of course they were a Terry slip away from winning it in 2008).
So it was probably written in the stars that they win it in 2012. But it was still very annoying. Barca after easily winning the final against us one year earlier, couldn’t beat a 10-men Chelsea plus missed a penalty, and then Bayern decided to replicate Barca’s performance in the final.

jem

I'm surprised there's little mention of Bayern-Barca 8-2.

That second half was painful to watch even as a neutral. Barca weren't just outplayed.
They were pushed so far into the dirt, that they just started digging the rest of the ditch themselves.

By goal 5, I don't think Bayern were even in second gear.
I think the issue with that game is that it almost felt like Barca had given up by the end (which is pretty shameful in its own right.) Some of the defending was just comical. United, on the other hand, gave its all against Barca in 2011, but was just thoroughly destroyed. So that game sticks out more for me than capitulations like Bayern-Barca or Germany-Brazil do.

Cloud7

Barcelona vs Bayern the year that the final was Bayern vs Dortmund (think it was 2013). Bayern looked head and shoulders above Barca over both legs, not unlike the way they did last season.

The Urban Goose

Let's be honest, we were completely outclassed in the 1999 CL final. Yes there were mitigating circumstances (Keane, Scholes), but still...

Bole Top

Deportivo vs Leeds, CL quarterfinals 2001, despite Leeds somehow losing only 2-0. I couldn't believe they actually managed to survive there with a rather narrow loss, as that was literally a slaughter.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Let's be honest, we were completely outclassed in the 1999 CL final. Yes there were mitigating circumstances (Keane, Scholes), but still...
You should watch the final (again) if you think that. They slightly dominated that game which is no surprise when they took the lead already in the 6th minute. We played them 3 times in the CL that season and there was nothing between us. Indeed they actually got lucky in one of the draws against us when they scored an offside goal (they were actually offside twice in the build up of that goal iirc). In the final without our midfield duo which was the base of our build up play and chasing the game that early, Bayern were always going to be in more control, still the game was more or less even in reality and also backed up by stats.

simplyared

Taking from the thread “trophies the losing side should of won” I was thinking of matches that were huge or massively important where one team was totally outclassed.
As a United fan the final against Barca in 2011 stands out
Brazil getting trashed by Germany 7-1 in the WC.
I can think of some matches but not many were a team was totally outclassed any opinions ?
That would be my choice. So humiliating I wanted the game finished asap. Felt for the Brazilian team and all its supporters!

Amir

You should watch the final (again) if you think that. They slightly dominated that game which is no surprise when they took the lead already in the 6th minute. We played them 3 times in the CL that season and there was nothing between us. Indeed they actually got lucky in one of the draws against us when they scored an offside goal (they were actually offside twice in the build up of that goal iirc). In the final without our midfield duo which was the base of our build up play and chasing the game that early, Bayern were always going to be in more control, still the game was more or less even in reality and also backed up by stats.
The chances Bayern had late in that match, when we were going all out attack, make it look like they dominated throughout. They didn't. We weren't good, but they weren't great either.

Haddock

Red Star Belgrade 0 (did the outclassing but didn't score) vs Man Utd 1 - 1991 Super Cup.

Irwin99

I'm not sure completely outclassed would be right but the infamous 4-2 United win against Arsenal in 2005 was one of those games where it must have been absolutely crushing for the oppo team and fans. They tried to outfight and outplay us and failed pretty miserably.

Giggsy13

Brazil vs Germany 2014 WC. I left work early to watch what I thought would be a classic. It was a classic for the wrong reasons though!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Barca vs Bayern last season. It was like watching a once great king on his knees getting beheaded by his replacement. Just complete and total domination and I came away feeling the 6 goal gap flattered Barca.

R77

Barca 5-0 over Real Madrid. They absolutely ruined them that night.
Barcelona 5 Real 0 in 10/11?
Barcelona 5 Real Madrid on the 29th of November 2010 is an easy one to mention but Barcelona's 4-0 win at the Bernabeu on the 21st of November 2015 deserves a mention so too the 6-2 on May the 2nd of 2009 also at the Bernabeu.
Always the first answer for me, largely because of the context. A still revered Mourinho and some very expensive shiny new toys, vs the new pretender. An intriguing match up on paper, but after the first 30mins or so it ended up being the most utterly dominant pasting I'd seen. A very good Madrid side were helplessly chasing shadows like amateurs. Peak Guardiola ball.

dove

The one not mentioned yet is United vs Bilbao. We were absolutely outplayed, scoreline flattered us a lot.

G-MUFC

The one not mentioned yet is United vs Bilbao. We were absolutely outplayed, scoreline flattered us a lot.
That tie was embarrassing considering how much they outplayed us. Was the last but one year of Fergie. That tie should have been a wake up call as it showed how our squad was getting very stale and left behind.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
2012 also, Spain won by a huge margin, but the game was not one-sided at all until Italy conceded the second and fell apart.
Yeah, Thiago Motta went out injured around the 60th minute mark just minutes after coming on, when Italy had just used all their subs (partly due to injury). With 0-2 down, a man down and a Thiago Motta shaped hole in midfield, Italy fell apart. Before that, the game was fairly even. Spain dominated the opening minutes and took the lead, afterwards it was back and forth with maybe even a slide edge for Italy, but Spain scored on the counter. It was only after Motta's injury that the game became one-sided.

JSArsenal

This might sound weird but losing by a big scoreline doesn't necessarily equate with being outclassed. Arsenal beat Chelsea 3-0 on Boxing Day, from the scoreline anyone would think we battered them, but we didn't.

Two games spring to mind for me. The 3-1 loss against United in the Champions League and the 3-1 defeat in the league the following season where Park scored on the counter.

We were completely outclassed that day.

My top pick, is the 2-2 draw against Barcelona at the Emirates. They made us look like a League One side, literally. We didn't even play badly, they were just streets ahead. It was like watching what Wenger football could have been if he was given the resources and players to build a team.

Nickelodeon

Quite a confusing thread title this one.

I wished the OP had properly defined "Huge Games" or "Outclassed". United 8-2 Arsenal was (imo) not a huge game and United 1-6 City was not being outclassed as were in the game till 80 odd mins.

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
Ye
Bayern Dortmund 2-5 in the 2012 DFB cup final.
I remember that one.

But I think it wasn't that one sited, when Ribery scored the second I was worried a bit.
An even better call could be the second league game that season. Bayern got destroyed but Neuer turned into a superhuman. Dortmund still won by one goal in the end,

abundance

Supports
Inter
I don't think Liverpool outclassed Barcelona comfortably compared to others, there are plenty of games like this.
mmm I think they did instead.
Especially because it was the second leg of a semi, as opposed to other games that are finals.

A final starts from 0-0 and you have to try and win it, so when you're 3 o 4 down and outclassed, all hope is lost.
Barca started that match 3-0 up, and even when they were 4 down all they needed was one single goal to end the night with a triumph, and they never looked like they had the tiniest slice of confidence that they could pull that off.

abundance

Supports
Inter
That would be my choice. So humiliating I wanted the game finished asap. Felt for the Brazilian team and all its supporters!
I remember going to go watch that game with my mates on the big screen of a riverside park in Florence, all like "yo gonna be such a match"
Five minutes or so into the game, my housemate called me on the phone, he had closed himself out of the apt leaving the keys inside.
So I reluctantly left to go open the door, took around twenty minutes to go and come back.
When I got back, I found all my mates with a pint at the bar at the entrance of the park, you couldn't even see the screen from there.
"Hey but the game?"
"Forget about it mate, it's already over and painful to watch".
"Ah, ok."

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
mmm I think they did instead.
Especially because it was the second leg of a semi, as opposed to other games that are finals.

A final starts from 0-0 and you have to try and win it, so when you're 3 o 4 down and outclassed, all hope is lost.
Barca started that match 3-0 up, and even when they were 4 down all they needed was one single goal to end the night with a triumph, and they never looked like they had the tiniest slice of confidence that they could pull that off.
Weirdly, the first leg of that tie was fairly evenly matched as well. The only difference was that Barca finished (most of) their chances and Messi did what he does best. We certainly didn't deserve a 3-0 loss but that miss deep in stoppage time from them left the door slightly ajar.