g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Hypocrisy - Pep and ignorance

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Many pilots, and other people earn a substantial amount. Why are the City players not called hypocrites? I get they are owned by disgusting people but a lot of big companies are, it’s the way of the world sadly and us the public are too busy watching TV to care.
Okay so which city players came out to voice their opinions like Pep? Either shut up and do your job or follow what you believe and do the right thing.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Okay so which city players came out to voice their opinions like Pep? Either shut up and do your job or follow what you believe and do the right thing.
I still don’t know what Pep has done wrong? He doing the job he is employed to do. It’s the club owners that should be targeted not Pep, I’m pretty sure if he stated he wanted to manage United tomorrow this thread would drop like a heavy shite.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I still don’t know what Pep has done wrong? He doing the job he is employed to do. It’s the club owners that should be targeted not Pep, I’m pretty sure if he stated he wanted to manage United tomorrow this thread would drop like a heavy shite.
Are you even in sync with the thread? We are talking about him being a total hypocrite. United has nothing to do with it.

He voices his opinion about something, but manages the team of those who shatters his opinion to pieces. Its not about being right or wrong, its about the hypocrisy.

How much?

Hello, happy to say straight away I am a city fan. Have no issues whatsoever with discussions with utd fans (all my family is apart from me) also more than expect to get some grief from time to time.

Could I ask a couple of questions. How many people in the history of the UAE have been tried and sentenced to death for homosexuality or homosexual acts?

And how many have actually been executed?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Are you even in sync with the thread? We are talking about him being a total hypocrite. United has nothing to do with it.

He voices his opinion about something, but manages the team of those who shatters his opinion to pieces. Its not about being right or wrong, its about the hypocrisy.
I am in sync, he is doing a job, he doesn’t have to have the same beliefs as his employers, I don’t see why Pep is getting singled out again I don’t really like him but I don’t see why anyone cares. He was probably asked how he felt and he gave an answer, big deal?

Varun

Staff
Hello, happy to say straight away I am a city fan. Have no issues whatsoever with discussions with utd fans (all my family is apart from me) also more than expect to get some grief from time to time.

Could I ask a couple of questions. How many people in the history of the UAE have been tried and sentenced to death for homosexuality or homosexual acts?

And how many have actually been executed?
Are all your posts going to be a string of How muchs and How manys, How Much?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I’ve never heard so much crap in all my life. The UAE mixed politics and sport, simply by buying City to promote their regime! You seriously think that they have spent 2 billion at least, because they love football and City?
Huh? They bought City because its a freaking brilliant business deal that can't promote THEIR country as a tourist destination and businesses partner. DUH! Not their government.

Also, at what point have they used it to export their internal politics to the planet? Which is EXACTLY what promoting a regime would LOOK Like?

Lastly, at what point did I infect your mind with the idiotic notion that I would EVER believe they took over City 'because they love football and City"?

You are the one literally talking the dumbest crap you yourself has come across in your life. All alone!

The authority you ask for, is basic human decency to your fellow human.
ohh puhlease:rolleyes:

Where is your 'common decency' when you move in a vehicle the burns fuel from a nation of regimes as questionable as that of UAE for example? Or work for a multinational still benefitting to this day from the evils of colonialism for example? This is just a classic case of placing oneself in the judgement seat over other humans like you are all 'spick and span' in your own lives.

United Junkie

Aren't the biggest companies in the world owned by shitty peple? So why are all of you jumping at F.C. Shitty?

I frequently go to the UAE. I never heard of gays being executed for being gays.

You English believe everything what the BBC tell's you on tv.

stevoc

You know what 'if' means, right?
I think so mate yeah, right so you're just posting a load of hypothetical waffle you don't actually believe. Good that you're not naive enough to actually believe that City's owners didn't know and approve of obvious PR bullshit like this.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Wish threads like this were made in good faith...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We all hate City but come on, how on earth does this make Pep a hypocrite? He is allowed to have his own view and opinions regardless of who he manages. Just because City have owners from the UAE, doesn't mean that their players or manager are suddenly homophobic and awful people and hypocrites. Just like if United was bought out by UAE next week it wouldn't make everyone involved with our club hypocrites unless they decided to quit on the spot.

I know it's hard for some to be reasonable with opinions about rival clubs, but this is ridiculous :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Aren't the biggest companies in the world owned by shitty peple? So why are all of you jumping at F.C. Shitty?

I frequently go to the UAE. I never heard of gays being executed for being gays.

You English believe everything what the BBC tell's you on tv.
Ummmm you might got executed but you would certaininly be arrested and detained and trialed for it. I’m sure in more of the more backwater towns homosexuals might just *dissapear*.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We all hate City but come on, how on earth does this make Pep a hypocrite? He is allowed to have his own view and opinions regardless of who he manages. Just because City have owners from the UAE, doesn't mean that their players or manager are suddenly homophobic and awful people and hypocrites. Just like if United was bought out by UAE next week it wouldn't make everyone involved with our club hypocrites unless they decided to quit on the spot.

I know it's hard for some to be reasonable with opinions about rival clubs, but this is ridiculous :lol:
Pretty much everything I have been saying, most of the G8 had their tongue in the Prince’s ass, Man City is the least of world problems as I genuinely believe we are getting to a very dangerous place as an entire world civilisation.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Does your boss kill people? If he did, would you still take his money? And remember, pep doesnt need the money or the job. Hes already rich and can get paid the same amount anywhere else and get the same love. He can say whatever he wants, but hes taking money from people that kill people because they disagree with how they live their lives. They dont just bitch about "the gays" in hushed voices around the office. They line them up in front of a firing squad. chemically castrate them, lock them up, fine them, or boot them out the country.

If hes happy to take their money then he should be happy to say he doesnt really give a shit, just like you said you dont give a shit that your boss is racist. Im sure if he was acting on it, you would change that stance. Well, the owners of city are acting on it. And yet, he still takes the money.

As for the club and manager statement, this is PR. Thats what city is, thats what its being used for. Propaganda to change the world view of horrible people that do horrible things. If it was untied, I would have walked away years ago. And if that BSM saudi guy buys us as has been rumoured, I absolutely will walk away. Can not and will not support that. Ever.
You aren't supporting the owner when you support a football club. Why can't people seem to separate politics/business and the football itself? Literally every single United fan has hated out owners for the past 15 years almost. Does that mean they hate the club? Of course not. I'll always be a United supporter regardless of what goes on behind the scenes. You support the brand, the football club, the shirt, the players. I couldn't give 2 fecks about what the owners do, where they are from, what they do outside of the football club.

In the same way there's loads of musicians who are awful people but make good music. If I like a song, am I going to stop listening to it because the artist is a piece of shit? Am I going to stop watching a good tv show because one of the actors is fecked up? You gotta separate the people behind the scenes with what you're actually interested in. We watch football, for football. We don't follow the sport to know what political views the owners of the club have. I don't care about that in the slightest.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Ummmm you might got executed but you would certaininly be arrested and detained and trialed for it. I’m sure in more of the more backwater towns homosexuals might just *dissapear*.
..and if Arlene Foster was in power..

How much?

In most of the states you will not be arrested if the act of sodomy is between consenting adults (homo/hetro). The law regarding sodomy basically states that if the act is committed under coercion then an arrest can be made.

We could all speculate about what does or does not happen in villages out in the sticks but it doesn't add much.

My own take on pep and his quote is that you don't shit on the hand that feeds you, even if it is attached to the body of someone who has a different opinion to you on certain subjects.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
In most of the states you will not be arrested if the act of sodomy is between consenting adults (homo/hetro). The law regarding sodomy basically states that if the act is committed under coercion then an arrest can be made.

We could all speculate about what does or does not happen in villages out in the sticks but it doesn't add much.

My own take on pep and his quote is that you don't shit on the hand that feeds you, even if it is attached to the body of someone who has a different opinion to you on certain subjects.
Can I ask what, after signing up seven years ago, has sparked you into suddenly starting to post on the subject of sodomy?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Maybe others won’t, but I will. Doesn’t mean I’ll leave the cafe, but my days of following and supporting the club will be over.

As for what pep should say, I did answer that in my post. I think if he’s going to take the money, then he should own it. Say what we all know to be true, he doesn’t care. If he did, he wouldn’t work there to be part of the pr campaign to change the view of that place. And if united do get taken over by BSM that’s all united will be at that point. Another piece of nonsense to distract from the fact that that guy isn’t the great Saudi hope he presents himself as.

Sorry you feel like a victim, wasn’t my intention for you to feel attacked.
So you think Pep should come out and say "I don't support rainbow laces because I don't care"? You really think any manager in world football would do that and not be crucified. I can bet even homophobic ones wouldn't say that. Pep can also have very different beliefs to his bosses. It's nothing new. I don't know if he cares or not to be honest.

Fair play on your stance with United, you're a more principled man then I. I'll give you that. If the deal goes ahead, I'll be the first to quote your post and praise you, where you denounce the club and tell everyone your done with United.

But why have you not hit out at United's deal with Saudi Telecom, or your deal with the commercial bank of Qatar. You've been in bed with these people for many years. I believe Saudi Telecom were you longest standing International Partner. You've not called out you own club for taking money from said organisations (at least that I've seen, if you have I apologise). If you visit Gulf Oil MiddleEast website, United are plastered across the top banner. The top banner of their website is literally a photo of United players.

I don't mean to be a prick or to call you out for hypocrisy, but surely its hypocritical to have such hate for City while not saying a thing about your club being in bed with the Saudis and Qatar?

Exactly. Its grotesque hypocrisy.
Yes but its grotesque hypocrisy on the part of the owners not the club or Pep, no? They are the ones who are not acknowledging their beliefs in this situation. They are the ones who are fine with the club they own promoting these things whilst they completely believe the opposite. At the end of the day, its a compromise they are happy to make as they are indeed happy to see City whitewashing their image.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Just to be clear I have no problem with what Pep said, I even could admire saying what he said considering his circumstances. On UAE, you stature in society and equally the money you can pay goes a long way with what you can get away with. L

How much?

Can I ask what, after signing up seven years ago, has sparked you into suddenly starting to post on the subject of sodomy?
I did think it might appear a bit strange. I originally signed up but then didn't think I would be posting enough in the newbie forum to be promoted and didn't just want to make up any old bollocks in order to try to do so.

My comments were sparked mainly because the reporting of people being put to death for gay sex is in law correct but in practice completely untrue. Seeing it was the basis for the comparison in the OC I couldn't help myself.

Reactions: Jippy

Vitro

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I did think it might appear a bit strange. I originally signed up but then didn't think I would be posting enough in the newbie forum to be promoted and didn't just want to make up any old bollocks in order to try to do so.

My comments were sparked mainly because the reporting of people being put to death for gay sex is in law correct but in practice completely untrue. Seeing it was the basis for the comparison in the OC I couldn't help myself.
That's fair enough, glad you finally started posting and fire away!

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I'm coming at this thread as a City fan, and having lived in the UAE from 2011-2016 (and still travel there frequently). This thread is conflating valid criticism of the domestic policies of the UAE with standard operations/running of Manchester City. I get that there's a connection, because City are majority owned by a member of the UAE's ruling family, but surely that doesn't mean that policies and decision-making within Manchester City have to 100% mirror the domestic policies of the UAE? Likewise, are employees of the club (like Guardiola) always hypocrites if they choose to work for City even if they disagree with some/all of the domestic policies of the UAE?

In this case, homosexuality is illegal in the UAE, but Manchester City proudly supports the rainbow laces campaign and has a prominent LGBT supporters club (Canal Street Blues). Or women's rights in the UAE are in many cases legally subservient to men's rights, but Manchester City has very prominently launched and established a successful Manchester City Women's team. Or worker's rights and conditions (particularly foreign workers in construction/services) in the UAE are unacceptable, but Manchester City made a big deal about recruiting and training a significant proportion of construction workers from the Greater Manchester area during the expansion of the South Stand. Etc.

I don't see this, as some have said, as some broader propaganda conspiracy, but simply that Manchester City is able to hold different values and policies to the domestic policies of the UAE. Many of these values and policies are surely borne from the fact that Manchester City is a football club in the UK whose values and policies adhere more closely to those in the UK than those in the UAE. The fact that we're now majority owned by a member of the UAE's ruling family doesn't automatically change those values.

If City and Guardiola are hypocrites for supporting something (e.g. rainbow laces) that would not be acceptable in the UAE, then ok fine. To escape this hypocrisy would require boycotting the UAE. So City should have refused the takeover, and Guardiola should have refused the job. Likewise City fans should have abandoned supporting the club, and more broadly none of us (City fans and non-City fans alike) should fill our cars with UAE petrol as part of a principled stand against (what most of us probably agree are) certain unacceptable domestic policies within the UAE. But none of that has happened. Maybe we're all hypocrites, but maybe also the world is just not black and white enough for these principles to be realistic.

Reactions: Jippy

HJ12

Unfair to label Pep a hypocrite for having views that differ to those of the City owners. I may work for an employer with a completely different viewpoint to my own, doesn't mean I need to agree with them on issues that aren't directly related to my employment.

SER19

Guardiola was the one who decided to bring his personal political stance into the game despite rules against it and gave us all a preachy sermon. Its only fair that he be judged as a result for deeming one issue significant enough to bring to the light but ignore atrocities being committed by the men who pay him and more than that, peddle their pr vehicle.

Josep Dowling

I dunno, if you take it far enough then you’d find stuff like that all over the place. If you spent all day assessing whether or not every choice you made in life was 100% moral you’d drive yourself crazy. I guess it’s a bit different in Pep’s case - he’d have no shortage of suitors who aren’t owned by homophobes, but he can’t really be responsible for what his bosses think. It’s hypocritical of the club, sure.

Also, and I’m not defending their owners here, but to play devils advocate: are we sure the people who own the club are against homosexuality? Just because it happens to be the law in UAE doesn’t necessarily mean the people who run Manchester City endorse it. They might do, I genuinely don’t know. But it’s a bit like assuming all Muslims are homophobic.
The owners of Manchester City are the Royal family in the UAE. They make the laws, they rule the land. They are responsible for a law stating homosexuality in their country will be punishable by death. They could change the law but don’t. How is that not endorsing it?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The owners of Manchester City are the Royal family in the UAE. They make the laws, they rule the land. They are responsible for a law stating homosexuality in their country will be punishable by death. They could change the law but don’t. How is that not endorsing it?
Read my last post in this thread

arthurka

You mean "Catholic".
More importantly what on earth has this got to do with anything?
Catholic or protestant .. Its the same shit, its like Coke or diet Coke.

The Pope and UAE regime live in the same dark ages.

Bearded One

I am surprised this thread has reached page 3. Is anyone surprised that Pep is a hypocrite or is anyone arguing against the notion? I'd like to engage anyone who has this view personlly. I cannot even be arsed checking the whole thread to see who said what.

Bearded One

Guardiola was the one who decided to bring his personal political stance into the game despite rules against it and gave us all a preachy sermon. Its only fair that he be judged as a result for deeming one issue significant enough to bring to the light but ignore atrocities being committed by the men who pay him and more than that, peddle their pr vehicle.
Absolutely. Anyone who has a different view is surely blinkered.

Denis79

I dunno, if you take it far enough then you’d find stuff like that all over the place. If you spent all day assessing whether or not every choice you made in life was 100% moral you’d drive yourself crazy. I guess it’s a bit different in Pep’s case - he’d have no shortage of suitors who aren’t owned by homophobes, but he can’t really be responsible for what his bosses think. It’s hypocritical of the club, sure.

Also, and I’m not defending their owners here, but to play devils advocate: are we sure the people who own the club are against homosexuality? Just because it happens to be the law in UAE doesn’t necessarily mean the people who run Manchester City endorse it. They might do, I genuinely don’t know. But it’s a bit like assuming all Muslims are homophobic.
You're right but he is responsible for who he works for. He could have taken any job he wanted yet he chose to take the money from people who have unacceptable values in this day and age. And then has the nerve to even comment on something like this.

Reddy Rederson

So you think Pep should come out and say "I don't support rainbow laces because I don't care"? You really think any manager in world football would do that and not be crucified. I can bet even homophobic ones wouldn't say that. Pep can also have very different beliefs to his bosses. It's nothing new. I don't know if he cares or not to be honest.

Fair play on your stance with United, you're a more principled man then I. I'll give you that. If the deal goes ahead, I'll be the first to quote your post and praise you, where you denounce the club and tell everyone your done with United.

But why have you not hit out at United's deal with Saudi Telecom, or your deal with the commercial bank of Qatar. You've been in bed with these people for many years. I believe Saudi Telecom were you longest standing International Partner. You've not called out you own club for taking money from said organisations (at least that I've seen, if you have I apologise). If you visit Gulf Oil MiddleEast website, United are plastered across the top banner. The top banner of their website is literally a photo of United players.

I don't mean to be a prick or to call you out for hypocrisy, but surely its hypocritical to have such hate for City while not saying a thing about your club being in bed with the Saudis and Qatar?

Yes but its grotesque hypocrisy on the part of the owners not the club or Pep, no? They are the ones who are not acknowledging their beliefs in this situation. They are the ones who are fine with the club they own promoting these things whilst they completely believe the opposite. At the end of the day, its a compromise they are happy to make as they are indeed happy to see City whitewashing their image.
Can’t say I know much about those sponsors, or any sponsors for that matter. Are they directly owned by the Saudi royal family? If so I think it’s a disgrace to be in business with them. That being said, they don’t own United or use United in the same way city is.

As for what pep should say, he should say I don’t care. Be honest, why hide it? If he’s happy to take blood money then just own it. Put your hand up and say I don’t care. Kinda like I can say I think they amazon treats its employees is shocking, but I still use it.

Was he asked about it the rainbow laces or what is just a comment for the clubs Twitter?

Reddy Rederson

You aren't supporting the owner when you support a football club. Why can't people seem to separate politics/business and the football itself? Literally every single United fan has hated out owners for the past 15 years almost. Does that mean they hate the club? Of course not. I'll always be a United supporter regardless of what goes on behind the scenes. You support the brand, the football club, the shirt, the players. I couldn't give 2 fecks about what the owners do, where they are from, what they do outside of the football club.

In the same way there's loads of musicians who are awful people but make good music. If I like a song, am I going to stop listening to it because the artist is a piece of shit? Am I going to stop watching a good tv show because one of the actors is fecked up? You gotta separate the people behind the scenes with what you're actually interested in. We watch football, for football. We don't follow the sport to know what political views the owners of the club have. I don't care about that in the slightest.
Probably because cities owner are the ones killing people? It’s not like they are associated with the people doing the killing, it’s fecking them. It would be like if hitler ownd city, and pep said ‘Jews are people too’. You but city merchandise, you give money to those people that kill lgbt persons. It’s that simple. If you don’t care, that’s fine. Apathy is a solid life choice. It’s not like we little folk can do anything about it anyway. But pep, he doesn’t need the money. He doesn’t need the job. He could say I like lgbt persons enough not to help the people that are persecuting them to wash their public image.

stevoc

Of course he is allowed to have his own beliefs, i think the point people are trying to make is he is publicly stating his support of a campaign against Homophobia on the official Twitter account of Manchester City. While the owners of the same club have a very different view of LGBT people.

Do you not see why some might view that as a tad hypocritical?