Hypothetical question relating to the derby

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Beating them at thier place for the title is far greater than reversing a shock result like the one we at at OT.
And by winning 6-1, would that be a loss? Isn't that the point, not only do we win, emphatically, but we also get to reverse that shock line.

Liam147

On Probation
Who cares, it was a freak result. I'd way prefer a great match with late drama.
Erm, I'd say most United fans, and certainly all City fans. It was single-handedly the most embarrassing result of the club's history, and they'll hang that over our heads forever more. It's nice if you can rise above it all, but as the majority of us fans are quite irrational, I think it matters to us.
Beating them at thier place for the title is far greater than reversing a shock result like the one we at at OT.
As Hectic said.

kf

I dont think it could get any better than a last minute winner for the title. For those saying 6-1, would you have rather we won the '99 final against Bayern 5-0?
If I'm given the choice I'd prefer to avoid the nil-nil going into stoppage time due to the effect on my health... yesterday was bad enough! And as I have the misfortune to live next door to a family of Berties (they're ok really..), I'd quite like them to shut the feck up about the six one... so all round, seven one would be very nice please.

Not that it will shut them up, obviously.

VivaRonaldo7

If we are doing hypotheticals, how about City winning 1-0 with 5 mins to go then Tevez scoring two own goals taking off his City shirt and revealing a United jersey, going to the bench and laughing in Mancini's face as SAF starts having a wank and Howard Webb does a celebratory rain dance.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Irwin

Erm, I'd say most United fans, and certainly all City fans. It was single-handedly the most embarrassing result of the club's history, and they'll hang that over our heads forever more. It's nice if you can rise above it all, but as the majority of us fans are quite irrational, I think it matters to us.
The 6-1 is meaningless if we win the title, it wasn't even that bad a performance. There's been games where we've been absolutely battered and it feels fecking awful for weeks but that wasn't one of them. It was a freak result, anyone who watched the game knows the scoreline didn't match the game. It wasn't half the drubbing we dished out to Arsenal yet the 8-2 wont be anywhere near my favourite United memories. Beating them 2-1 in the '99 FA Cup semi will be though.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If we win the league I would think most United fans would not care about the 6-1 and look at the bigger picture. I didn't hear many Liverpool fans going on about the 4-1 after we won the league that year. It's all about the big picture.

kietotheworld

Both would be sweet of course but i'd take the last minute winner. What fantastic drama that would be snatching the title off them in one moment just as they think its within their grasp.
A 3-3 result would strongly favour us though, 3-4 would just be the icing on the cake. I'd take the 1-6 regardless, but the difference between 3-3 and 3-4 is small enough that it's not even a difficult choice.

kf

The 6-1 is meaningless if we win the title, it wasn't even that bad a performance. There's been games where we've been absolutely battered and it feels fecking awful for weeks but that wasn't one of them. It was a freak result, anyone who watched the game knows the scoreline didn't match the game. It wasn't half the drubbing we dished out to Arsenal yet the 8-2 wont be anywhere near my favourite United memories. Beating them 2-1 in the '99 FA Cup semi will be though.
Arsenal are fecking irrelevant generally speaking... getting battered at home by Citeh was very very painful especially for those of us who live in Manchester

Liam147

On Probation
I know what you mean but in five, ten or even twenty years' time, they'll remember the 6-1, and not how they were better than us and deserved to win, but 6-1 was flattering.

I just hope "6-1, and it meant feck all" gets to be sung loud and clear on Monday.
If we win the league I would think most United fans would not care about the 6-1 and look at the bigger picture. I didn't hear many Liverpool fans going on about the 4-1 after we won the league that year. It's all about the big picture.
That is true, but it's still there, and if we do lose the league, it'll be that one that stands out.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I hope we lose 6-1 again and learn a valuable lesson.

Amir

Well, it's better than the previous derby discussion about whether we prefer a guard of honour before the game or winning the title at the game itself.

Irwin

I know what you mean but in five, ten or even twenty years' time, they'll remember the 6-1, and not how they were better than us and deserved to win, but 6-1 was flattering.

I just hope "6-1, and it meant feck all" gets to be sung loud and clear on Monday.
I'd be quite happy if in 20 years time a 6-1 win in a season we won the title is the best that City fans can shout about. But then I don't live in Manchester so that side of it doesn't really affect me.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
A 3-3 result would strongly favour us though, 3-4 would just be the icing on the cake. I'd take the 1-6 regardless, but the difference between 3-3 and 3-4 is small enough that it's not even a difficult choice.
Aye but imagin a situation where its 3-3 and they're going for the win attacking us at will and we're soaking all up and then we just nick it from them in the last seconds. That would fecking destroy them :smirk:

kietotheworld

Aye but imagin a situation where its 3-3 and they're going for the win attacking us at will and we're soaking all up and then we just nick it from them in the last seconds. That would fecking destroy them :smirk:
Aye, it'd be nice, but if we're talking about fantasy hypotheticals I'll take the total humiliation over a goal that ultimately makes little difference.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
In this game: 6-1.

The problem with the 4-3 is that we practically need a draw in this one, so the 94th minute equalizer won't be that exciting really..

However, if we HAVE to beat them to win the title, then a 94th minute winner will live far longer in the memory (with much more adrenaline released every time we watch it) than a 6-1 game.. So I would have picked a 4-3.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sweetest of all would be us losing 1-0 until the last minute of stoppage time and then getting a lucky equalizer. Nicking 4-3 in the last minute would be quite meaningless because there is little difference between a win or draw for us. If City are ahead in the last minute they will feel like they have one hand on the trophy, and then kaboom.

RK

I'd take the 6-1, but only because the 4-3 wouldn't be a killer blow - they'd be needing to score at 3-3.

In other circumstances I'd take a last minute winner for the title over revenge.

Sw33t

What would happen if before the game, the managers announced they were swapping teams for next year, and we got Mancini as our manager and they got SAF. Then Rooney goes to City to be with SAF, and Balotelli comes United to be with Mancini?

Then City win 5-0, but lose 10-0 against Newcastle and we win on GD?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
As long as it leaves us with 400m in the transfer kitty for summer and recognizes us as high performance fans, then I don't care about anything else.