I’m growing fond of Ashley Young

Robert

The fact he's stuck around through Fergie till Mourinho deserves credit. He's clearly not as shite as some of yous would have us believe.

I think he's versatile, tactically astute and decent enough technically and I commend him on his staying power.

Reactions: Penna

Gbenger

Or maybe Mourinho has different instructions for Darmian? Just because they play in the same position, does not mean they are asked to play in the same way. Same goes for Blind.
So you mean Mourinho always gives the same instructions to Shaw, Blind, Mitchell and now Young but a completely different one to Darmian? :lol:

I can't even...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’ve been fond of him since he got here. Good player who got lost in the shuffle amidst all the managerial upheaval. If Fergie was still here you can bet h would’ve featured a hell of a lot more.

meninred

I don't think ashley young is a less player..esp when compared to players we have like lingard..mata..martial..etc. But if the coach does not give you a chance ,you have no choice
and you will be automatically written off. Besides he has a powerful long range shot..surprised coaches don't want to use that option.

haram

So you mean Mourinho always gives the same instructions to Shaw, Blind, Mitchell and now Young but a completely different one to Darmian? :lol:

I can't even...
I mean, perhaps? Darmian is the most defensive of the lot.

Sterling Archer

I'm just happy that a player who looked ready for the Travellers yard, has been revitalised and can make a good contribution to our beloved clubs progress this season.
Never heard this phrase before. I get the meaning in context here but what's it really mean and where's it from?

Also, yes yes I too am feeling more appreciative of Young as a LB RB

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I'm growing extremely fond of Jessica Chastain.

Ashley is a good option and the best crosser in the club, btw.

Nikelesh Reddy

He's obviously a terrific crosser and he's quite good at set pieces(strangely enough we don't let him take too many) but I think he"ll get found out against the better teams.Hes no Valencia,Valencia was able to make the transition because he was a right footed player playing as a RB.I think it's hard when your a right footer playing as a LB,unless your a top class defender.When the attacker cuts in its relatively easy to deal with him,but when the attacker cuts out or when he hugs the touch line and runs at speed,Young can get brutally exposed.Since he's not left footed and because he doesn't obviously have the natural instinct of a defender,he will find it difficult to cope with the best players.
I wouldn't want him to start at Anfield,I think Jose should pick Blind and eventually,Jose should try to reintegrate Luke Shaw into the team.If Shaw gets back to his best,we"ll have speed and dynamism from both full backs and that will make us harder to play against....

superdry

touched by a genius
Never heard this phrase before. I get the meaning in context here but what's it really mean and where's it from?

Also, yes yes I too am feeling more appreciative of Young as a LB RB
Its where they sent tired old working horses to be slaughtered.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Always liked him. Underrated on here, and consistently chosen to leave in the in/out threads before every summer, which I've never understood because he's regularly had a positive effect on games imo. Never been a passenger, always gets involved.

Think he's better than Valencia, to be honest.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
We were talking about Ashley in the pub before the game yesterday and my thoughts were... as well as having more experience, he's now playing with far less pressure. When he came in as the air apparent to Ryan on the left, he had huge boots fill and struggled to get anywhere near the level we needed. Now as a utility player, there is far less expectation on the fella and he seems far more relaxed and confident and it's showing in his performances.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
When asked whether he felt Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, John Lennon said he wasn't the best drummer in The Beatles. I have a similar sensation.
That was rather mean by Lennon, I dare say. It's like Ibra saying ddg isn't even the best goalie at United.
Lennon never said that. It was a joke created by comedian Jasper Carrott.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Puts a shift in and is a really useful squad player. I like him at LB.
This but not the best LB in the league.

I suppose we've struggled with that position since a prime Evra played there, anyone good or even competent there seems excellent (not that young hasn't been very very good, mind).

A bit like our midfield situation under SAF's latter years.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Not just this season. But last season too. Perhaps the season before that as well. His work ethic is fantastic and delivery is brilliant.

Since he has been turned into a full back he has never looked back. Like Valencia it really is the position for him. I suppose he was always that defensive winger, so this naturally was the position he was going to mould into.

Dare I say it, is he the best LB in the league?
Rashford as good as Mbappe. Alii and Lingard are the same level. Jones is the best defender in the league.

... this place has gone mental recently.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
I've never understood why he took as much stick as he has throughout his time here. As dependable as they come even with his limitations

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I remember defending him in the summer when loads of people wanted rid, he's a dependable player who's still more than capable of putting shifts in when needed. It's thee sort of players that Fergie build his success on. Squads need players like this.
Agreed. With that being said though, right now hes the only fullback we have that's capable of actually delivering a good cross. Valencia, Darmian, Blind and Shaw might be better defensively on their day, but except Blind the really lack reliable output on the other end of the pitch.

Young's crosses are often really good though, the one he had on Saturday for Fellainis first was just :drool:

MataFanatic

Safe to say he wasn't one of SAF's wisest signings but have to say Young has stuck it out well at United. Was key player in LvG's first season when we sneaked into 4th spot. Been a bit part player but can slot into that wing-back position for us when needed. Would still like to see him rotated in and out of the side over the coming season in order to give Shaw opportunities in that spot

Everest Red

Reddest ever
It helps him that the team is a better defensive unit, but he has done really well regardless.

Gopher Brown

Not exactly. Ringo genuinely wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles. DDG clearly is our best keeper by a mile.
That's bullshit. Ringo was a great drummer - the perfect backdrop to let the others weave their magic.

Ashley Young is Ringo.

Oaencha

That's bullshit. Ringo was a great drummer - the perfect backdrop to let the others weave their magic.

Ashley Young is Ringo.
Ringo was a solid drummer but McCartney was more skilled technically. However... McCartney can play a variety of instruments and actually has stage presence so he would have been wasted there full time. Similar situation with the Foo Fighters.

Gopher Brown

Ringo was a solid drummer but McCartney was more skilled technically. However... McCartney can play a variety of instruments and actually has stage presence so he would have been wasted there full time. Similar situation with the Foo Fighters.
Nonsense. McCartney doesn't have the skill of Ringo on drums. McCartney is a 4/4, keep the beat, nothing flashy drummer. Some of Ringo's fills are brilliant - listen to the drumming on A Day in the Life for example.

Oh, and Ashley Young is alright at LB, but I'd say Blind should be first choice.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
He has a determination and work rate in him that stands out as an ambassador/role model of the club.

Came back from injury and a starter. Shaw out of same time frame and struggles to last his second half stint vs Burton.

The type of character a team will always need, even if only a squad player. Deserved starting birth currently though

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
His team mates have finally caught on that he's only capable of crossing to the far post which is good for us. He manages good balls there and they can be hard to deal with. Also helps that full backs tend to forget their defensive duties on crosses which someone like Fellaini can take advantage of.

As a defender he's not very good. I'd be surpised if he starts against Liverpool.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our best option at the moment. Plus the extra heart on his sleeve he brings on. Maybe the best crosser as a defender we've had in years. If he can master the defensive duties he could earn that starter spot.