"I can take the despair, it's the hope I can't stand"

wr8_utd

:'(
Very true...there is still hope...Chelsea will be bricking it for those games.
Chelsea will win comfortably against Spurs.

Their shit. Hope Spurs can take points off Arsenal though.

Just don't want Arsenal to win the title.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
The disappointing thing is that we have come so very, very close to having a sensational season and in that situation it's hard to know whether circumstances were the difference, or whether there is something more needed. The players will be annoyed and disappointed with themselves because they have done 90% of the hard work, and then tripped over with the finishing line in sight. Thankfully, we have a manager who will remind the players of that, and will use the disappointment to motivate them in the future.

It happens, and you have to accept it, but I'm not looking forward to reading all the, "we need a major overhaul" articles, both on here and elsewhere. What a waste of time those will be.

For a number of years, likely as I've matured, I've been in a position where I don't get too excited when we win, or feel terribly disappointed when we don't. The realization and acceptance that there's literally nothing that I can do about it, regardless, can be a wonderful thing, because you don't feel as hurt and disappointed when we lose, which prevents you from completely overreacting and creating posts about selling everyone in the squad and sacking the entire staff, but it also has the effect of making the wins slightly less enjoyable, as well.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I don't care about hope.
I don't care about despair.
I don't care about the math or everything stacked against us or who's ahead of us.

As long as we have games left we fight and we fight to the end, even when there's nothing left to fight for. Three in a row is an amazing run, but even though the run is most likely over, we still fight and that's all I care about.

Northstand

Chelsea still have to go to Spurs AND Liverpool.
As others have said, though, Arse would be the likeliest beneficiaries of any Chelsea slip-ups. Spuds losing in extra-time is great news for Arsenal. Their toughest remaining game now looks much easier. I agree with Pogue, it's time to chill out and actually ENJOY our remaining games.

Redrage

I just think giving up now is too early.
But who've beaten Chelsea in 2 of the last 3 meetings (Drawing the other) and losing only 1 of the last 5 against them.
Its called being realistic. Well they might have had a good record and all but seriously?
They'll drop points no doubt but we'd do the same as well. And even if we win our last 4 games they surely won't throw it away now.

We won't win the title, I hope I am wrong.

buckooo1978

One of my favourite movie quotes that.

Anyone else almost looking forward to the moment when it's no longer mathematically possible to win the league? I know this sounds weird but I'm looking forward to watching a game without being in agony about the three points.

4 in a row was a massive ask and this season has always had an air of transition about it. It looks as though we're going to fall short for a number of reasons, some within our control, some without. Shit happens though. We've had a decent crack at it and it's been a compelling season, in which we've played sensational football at times.

Who knows? We may still win. Stranger things have happened. But I'm actually looking forward to the resignation of defeat almost as much as the (increasingly unlikely) joy of victory.

Or is it just me?
know exactly what you mean

sounds weird but i actually wasn't annoyed after the game today - felt like a weight being lifted off my shoulders.....really contrasted with the disappointment of wednesday

bolton will beat chelsea and the weight will pile back on - just watch!!

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Chelsea will win comfortably against Spurs.

Their shit. Hope Spurs can take points off Arsenal though.

Just don't want Arsenal to win the title.
How on earth do you know that?

Can you tell me next weeks lottery results please?

Devilton

Do you think Liverpool want Chelsea parading the trophy at Anfield?
If Torres plays, I still believe Liverpool will beat the chavs....

unfortunately the way we are playing, and without Rooney in top form I can see us losing to citeh so it might all be for nought. And if...City do beat us and get 4th, then there is nothing stopping Rafa from fielding half a team full of reserves.

Either way, we need to win all our games now and that in itself is quite a task.

wr8_utd

If Torres plays, I still believe Liverpool will beat the chavs....

unfortunately the way we are playing, and without Rooney in top form I can see us losing to citeh so it might all be for nought. And if...City do beat us and get 4th, then there is nothing stopping Rafa from fielding half a team full of reserves.

Either way, we need to win all our games now and that in itself is quite a task.
We just might beat City but even that won't be enough i feel.

Liverpool have as good as lost that 4th spot and by the time the Chelsea game comes Rafa will probably be resting players for the Europa Final , if they reach there.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Anyone else almost looking forward to the moment when it's no longer mathematically possible to win the league? I know this sounds weird but I'm looking forward to watching a game without being in agony about the three points.

4 in a row was a massive ask and this season has always had an air of transition about it. It looks as though we're going to fall short for a number of reasons, some within our control, some without. Shit happens though. We've had a decent crack at it and it's been a compelling season, in which we've played sensational football at times.

Who knows? We may still win. Stranger things have happened. But I'm actually looking forward to the resignation of defeat almost as much as the (increasingly unlikely) joy of victory.

Or is it just me?
I'd have to agree there. Walking away after the Chelsea game there was an air of resignation that the League title had slipped away but was it ever, truly in our hands? Chelsea gave us the hope in reality but have reasserted themselves recently and all credit to them. It's something that we've done time after time ourselves in previous seasons.

As you say, we might still win who knows but today especailly I was strangely able to relax about it, not giving up at all but being realistic. My thoughts have already turned to next season....new personnel, players fulfilling their potential, younger players promoted, a new hero perhaps....

The hope is already returning;)

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Without sounding like a pessimist, I told my editor after the Milan game that I thought that would be as good as it got and we'd been punching above our weight and flattering to decieve most of the season. I didn't dare post this on the Caf of course..but still

I'm not too downbeat. I expected Chelsea to win the League at the begining of the year, and I'm pleased with Nani and Fletch's continued progress and of course the Rooney step up maneuver...I'd of been relatively alright with this at the begining of the year. We're spoiled as a support base. If we win it, major bonus, if not....

Onwards and upwards.
Punching above our weight? We're Manchester United- there is nothing above our weight. And no, that's just biased fan rhetoric, this team is still pretty much the equal of any team and any competition on the planet. Also thinking it after the Milan game seems a bit odd when it was arguably one our best performances of the season. If anything it was cause for hope, especially coming almost immediately after a trophy win.

Jase

I'm becoming more and more fine with the idea of us not winning the league, but the image of John Terry lifting the trophy in May sickens me.

wr8_utd

I'm becoming more and more fine with the idea of us not winning the league, but the image of John Terry lifting the trophy in May sickens me.
You rather have Arsenal and that smug piece of shit Fabregas pick it up and then listen to the media wankfest that follows over the "young and brave" arsenal?

And last thing we need is for Arsenal to win a title, get some confidence and become regular challengers again.

Jase

You rather have Arsenal and that smug piece of shit Fabregas pick it up and then listen to the media wankfest that follows over the "young and brave" arsenal?

And last thing we need is for Arsenal to win a title, get some confidence and become regular challengers again.
I'd rather we won it, to be fair. Media wankfests don't bother me as much as they bother many others here. Smother your jealousy.

wr8_utd

I'd rather we won it, to be fair. Media wankfests don't bother me as much as they bother many others here. Smother your jealousy.
It's not jealousy. It's just annoying. And to be fair Chelsea deserve it more than Arsenal do. They beat both their title rivals home and away. They have been the best team...this year.

wr8_utd

I can live with Terry lifting the trophy, it's not like I haven't seen him do it before.
Exactly. Anyway the already ageing Chelsea squad will be even older next year. Im confident we can beat them next year. Don't need Arsenal to become a threat again though.

Crerand Legend

After the way he has conducted himself you would think there is no justice in this world, that lowlife cheating scumbag having the good fortune to be lifting the premiership. God works in mysterious ways

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, much the same for me.

I feel like we've spunked away our chances, and I can't see Chelsea dropping points in more than one game, so I've basically lost hope.

Having said that, I think we'll win all four of our remaining games, just to give us a glimmer of hope that will be snatched away from us.

Of course the minute the football ends I'll be bored as feck, and want it to start immediately again. They cycle of being a football fan, I suppose.

redhoop

Have to agree with you. While the Wenger/Fabregas gloatfest will be puke-making for sure, I find everything about JT repulsive, so I'd hate to see him picking up anything but a STD (and he probably has one of those already).

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Or is it just me?
Mate, as long as it is possible i want it. and i think players want is as well. We still have a chance and I'm enjoying this pressure. Bring that fecking Shitty team on i say :devil:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Punching above our weight? We're Manchester United- there is nothing above our weight. And no, that's just biased fan rhetoric, this team is still pretty much the equal of any team and any competition on the planet. Also thinking it after the Milan game seems a bit odd when it was arguably one our best performances of the season. If anything it was cause for hope, especially coming almost immediately after a trophy win.
Indeed....though I'm assuming that was a freudien slip.

Yes, after Milan. After Milan I thought that would be the peak this team reached this season because this team were man for man weaker than the Barca's and Chelsea's of this world. I thought Milan had a hell of a lot of chances and we weren't exceptional by any rate, merely played very well and took the ones we had expertly. It's not sacreligious to think that. As a club we have no equal, but as a squad this season we do. I can live with that without having to get all misty eyed and determined. I'm happy with the way we've performed this year given the players, injuries and set backs we've had. I think we've done really well.

mattsville

I suppose everyone has felt like pogue a bit today, but being optimistic as things stand we are only a point behind, it has been a funny league, chelsea have gone on runs where you thought they are unstoppable only to lose out of nowhere and as has been pointed out they still have to travel to spurs and the dippers who have plenty to play for, with Roo back next week and only having to play one game a week we are well capable of winning the rest of our games once we don't mentally give up. It has been a scrappy league, you just don't know, you want wigan to need something on the last day with us still in it, failing that the league cup with the ruination of the dippers for the foreseeable future finishing outside the top 4 is good enough for me, given the success we have had over the past few years we have been kind of spoiled and I just want to enjoy whatever time we have left with Fergie still around at the club as he is Machester United as we know it.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I got the feeling of "put it to death" today but then I realised that all that really needs to happen is Chelsea slipping up... They've done it before, I have a feeling they'll do it again, it's a matter of twice in 5 games... It's hard to fathom but if we finish second and finish with a fighting chance I will be pleased with this domestic season.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
This thread is very much in keeping with tonight's game at Stamford Bridge. If Chelsea would have battered Bolton by now I wouldn't be bothered, but it's nervy living in hope.

robertsoncrusoe

Thinks the mods have too much power..
Chelsea's magic number* over United stands at 8...... their magic number* over Arsenal is 9.

* magic number- any combination of Chelsea points won plus United points lost. They use that in the States all the time near the end of the baseball season.
Thought you'd be interested!

Fergie's gum

Great OP Pogue.

I agree with you totally. Let's just get this agony over with. The truth is we've known we've not been championship material for most of the season, yet we've always seemed to be within touching distance, giving us hope when we shouldn't have had a chance in hell.

That CL had a part to play also. That draw was a bastard.

We've not been at the races this year. Let's regroup and come back stronger next season.

Although, Chelsea could still slip up...

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Or is it just me?
:D

How spooky - I said the exact same thing to me Dad watching the Chelsea-Bolton game yesterday. At 0-0, you're sitting there totting up all the potential eventualities, thinking, "yeah, this really could be back on." Then in on sweeping move, Chelsea are ahead and hope turns to resignation. Hope is the worst human emotion in the world. Hopelessness in our case.

DevilsOwn

yeah the hope is back.

didnt feel any till Scholes scored the goal

how dare he.

and now its al back. damn it

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Twist the knife. Watch Pogue squirm.
He deserves to squirm, after doing his usual trick and jinxing us back into the title race. God damnit now I have to put up with three weeks of nail biting, stomach churning nerves again