"I can take the despair, it's the hope I can't stand"

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
One of my favourite movie quotes that.

Anyone else almost looking forward to the moment when it's no longer mathematically possible to win the league? I know this sounds weird but I'm looking forward to watching a game without being in agony about the three points.

4 in a row was a massive ask and this season has always had an air of transition about it. It looks as though we're going to fall short for a number of reasons, some within our control, some without. Shit happens though. We've had a decent crack at it and it's been a compelling season, in which we've played sensational football at times.

Who knows? We may still win. Stranger things have happened. But I'm actually looking forward to the resignation of defeat almost as much as the (increasingly unlikely) joy of victory.

Or is it just me?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I like having hope, and I still do.

It would be a bit of a miracle though. Its not eve n winning 4 in a row that sounds hard. ITs chelski losing and drawing

Legend16

I know exactly how you feel pogue. just got off a flight to get the united result and was surprised I was not so gutted. almost like I knew this morning it was not gonna be our year and that the confirmation of that as it unfolds is almost a relief.

we've just won 3 in a row. 4 would be amazing but its not likely now and my head is already thinking about next season

botond

city will put us out of our misery

by us i mean ,us cafties

Spoony

The People's President
I kinda agree with Pogue, however there's not much hope if any at all left. If anything I feel as if a load of weight has been taken of my shoulders. I'm chillin'.

Devilton

I think most honest fans would tell you that we started the season 2nd favorites to the title. The players that left the team were just too big not to cause an impact on our play. The replacements sadly were simply not good enough. I'm glad that this season allowed Rooney to emerge as a top world class player. Everyone knew he could do it, and this season he did.

Can we still win it? Sure...anythings possible. Will we? I doubt it. In fact, if we're not careful we could slip from 2nd to 3rd. That being said I think we needed a season like this to take a look at the squad and to clear out a few players that had gone missing because world class talent like Ronaldo and Rooney had stepped up and done the job. We aren't far off from #19, but we need to spend, and spend big. Buying some unknown and hoping they can shock the world rarely works. Even Ronaldo needed 2-3 years to make it in this league so even if Diouf or Obertan becomes the one, we're looking at at least a few barren years before it happens.

If we do have the 80 million like SAF keeps saying we do, then we must spend it. If not, then it's time to get used to starting the season well, and watching it fall apart at the end, because that's what's going to happen. Rooney can't keep carrying this team over the course of the season, he's many things, but he's not superman.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm simply just not hoping. If things turn out great, it'll be great. But I don't expect them too or bother with them much. 4 points in four games will be too much and Arsenal would have to screw up as well.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Anyone else almost looking forward to the moment when it's no longer mathematically possible to win the league? I know this sounds weird but I'm looking forward to watching a game without being in agony about the three points.

4 in a row was a massive ask and this season has always had an air of transition about it. It looks as though we're going to fall short for a number of reasons, some within our control, some without. Shit happens though. We've had a decent crack at it and it's been a compelling season, in which we've played sensational football at times.

Who knows? We may still win. Stranger things have happened. But I'm actually looking forward to the resignation of defeat almost as much as the (increasingly unlikely) joy of victory.

Or is it just me?
Me too.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
Today was the first time I thought "looking forward to the World Cup" so yeah I know where you're coming from.
Same here, exactly the same here. Still a bit numb from Weds to be honest.

The moment Walton gave nothing when Park was hacked down I knew it was over. We've been absolutely fecked over by officials this season more than any other and combined with an appalling injury list it's been a bridge too far. The lads have done well imo - some could and should be doing a lot better though. There's nowt you can do though when like in the Bayern second leg just because you've gone 3 goals up the ref starts giving every 50/50 60/40 and even ones more blatant against you. We had a potential one on one for Berbatov given wrongly offside today - normal service resumed.

hungrywing

Smells like RAWK in here.

Admittedly, I have never been on RAWK, but I have taken a gander or two in the Meltdown thread, and it smells like that. If, of course, the internet could have a smell other than warm circuit boards and crumbs between the keys.

Maltese Manc

A Very Weasteful poster
Yeah 4 in a row was always gonna be hard. We'll come back stronger next year. Makes you wonder though cause while were all expecting to challenge again next year, just imagine not winning it for 26 years in a row. Try imagine not winning it again until 2036.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
More annoyed about the crap performance than the result to be honest. If we played well and lost, I would probably feel much better about it. I don't expect us to win trophies every year, and can accept when we lose. But it's poor and passionless performances that usually make me feel rubbish after a game

Redrage

I get what you mean Pogue.
The hope harbors insides irrespective of the results, and then the heartbreak its just hard to take. I'd rather not have any chance than have one in a million odds and lose.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Or is it just me?
Aye, I know what you mean. I felt like I'd been kicked in the balls after the Bayern game, but I'm surprised at how ok I feel today. We've given a good account of ourselves this season on the whole, and its been exciting. Of course there's still that flicker of hope that we could salvage the title, but I'm not counting on it. I'm more looking at this as the dying embers of a remarkable 3 or 4 year stretch of success, and looking forward to seeing if we can go on and start a new one next season.

Its also a good time to remember that if we won everything every year it would be meaningless. I'd never consciously want us to lose the title, but let's not forget how sweet it was when we won it after a few lean seasons in 06-07. Or for those of us with longer memories, 92-93.

Also, I haven't watched anywhere near as many non-Utd matches as I used to these past couple of years. I'm looking forward to watching the CL semis as a neutral, hopefully seeing Ruud massacre Fulham and maybe Liverpool in the UEFA Cup, and of course the World Cup.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
More annoyed about the crap performance than the result to be honest. If we played well and lost, I would probably feel much better about it. I don't expect us to win trophies every year, and can accept when we lose. But it's poor and passionless performances that usually make me feel rubbish after a game
100% agree, if you give your all then you can sit back and say you tried your best.

We may still win it, we most likely wont but I for one wont throw in the towel. I wouldnt expect professional athletes to do the same. Its that fire to win and be the best that lifts you to greatness.

Salvation

Damnation
Good that fans are finally stopping to pretend this side is nearly as good as the ones that won three in a row. Seeing many mid-season play devil's advocate was frustrating.

I personally think United need a season without the burden of expectation, like the CL-group stage exit season, in the second half of which players started to come back from injuries; with one game a week - loads of time to sort issues of understanding and telepathy. The result was a much more fluid approach where it seemed the players genuinely started to enjoy playing football again and even the fans loved it.

Expectation to continue the track record of success was/is the biggest monkey on the backs of this current lot.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I kinda agree with Pogue, however there's not much hope if any at all left. If anything I feel as if a load of weight has been taken of my shoulders. I'm chillin'.
agree completely. I will be following the Chelsea result Tuesday with mild interest.

Still will be keen to see us win our remaining matches. I will never tire of seeing us win.

I want Rooney to get a hatful.

Pogue Mahone

Good that fans are finally stopping to pretend this side is nearly as good as the ones that won three in a row. Seeing many mid-season play devil's advocate was frustrating..
It is nearly as good. That's why we're in with a shout of winning the league and came fecking close to a CL semi.

Fine margins between success and defeat and the points dropped during our crazy injury crisis at the back - along with key players like Hargreaves/Carrick/Anderson having a worse season than last time round - have hurt us.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I still maintain a glimmer of hope. Chelsea haven't beaten Bolton yet (Drew 1-1 on the last day of 07/08 remember) and they've got Spurs next Saturday (Who they haven't beaten in the last 3 attempts.

It's not yet over, though I do think next Saturday will decide the title. If we win and Chelsea drop points, it's back on. 4 wins from 4 would give us 85 points and you'd be very unlucky not to win the title with that.

Diabo_Sam

I still have a tiny small bit of hope.

despair --> Chelsea 0 -1 Bolton --> hope, that's football and as long as you

love your team like it or not you'll have to live with the pain of hope.

looks rawkish I know..

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Chelsea have to play Liverpool aswell.

Our game against City is so fecking important now.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I still maintain a glimmer of hope. Chelsea haven't beaten Bolton yet (Drew 1-1 on the last day of 07/08 remember) and they've got Spurs next Saturday (Who they haven't beaten in the last 3 attempts.

It's not yet over, though I do think next Saturday will decide the title. If we win and Chelsea drop points, it's back on. 4 wins from 4 would give us 85 points and you'd be very unlucky not to win the title with that.
It's not just Chelsea, we need Arsenal to drop more points than us as well now.

Also- stop it. I'm almost not unhappy knowing we won't win the league now, don't try and take that away from me with your talk of hope and all that hippy crap.

Pogue Mahone

It's not just Chelsea, we need Arsenal to drop more points than us as well now.

Also- stop it. I'm almost not unhappy knowing we won't win the league now, don't try and take that away from me with your talk of hope and all that hippy crap.
That's it, Smashed.

Join the dark side. Abandon all hope and feel the weight of expectation lift from your shoulders. It's lovely.

Salvation

Damnation
It is nearly as good. That's why we're in with a shout of winning the league and came fecking close to a CL semi.

Fine margins between success and defeat and the points dropped during our crazy injury crisis at the back have hurt us.
I'd disagree here. This side has the potential to be nearly as good.

When that side came top of the table it did well to consolidate the lead. Or the knack of digging itself out of holes. Two things that determine character, which this squad lacks.

Still, many new faces playing their first season. Injuries as well, yes. Same was the case during the Kleberson/Djemba/Miller times where injuries to Solskjaer, Rio's ban, etc. played a part.

Number7

Ret's Slave
You're all going to have hope restored when we beat City and Spurs beat Chelsea next Saturday.

The pressure is off though, and nobody really expects us to do it but I just have a wierd feeling there's going to be another twist yet. If we could make it to their game at Anfield where we're within distance, the pressure will be on them... you just never know.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
That's it, Smashed.

Join the dark side. Abandon all hope and feel the weight of expectation lift from your shoulders. It's lovely.
Season isn't over yet, I'm surprised so many people seem to think so, considering the way this season has gone. 6 days from now the gap could be down to a single point. We could be top, we could be 7 points behind and all hope lost. Who knows. Nobody does! Until it's mathematically impossible for us to do so, I will keep believing. That's what makes football so exciting.

Rooney is back for City, fingers crossed, which will give us a massive (See what I did there?) lift. You said it yourself when everybody were prediciting Arsenal to win their last 12, nothing is as it seems on paper.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Crumpsall Red

I think we have done fantastic for a transitional season. Far better than I was expecting back in August. Our hopes were sky high just 2 weeks ago but it's gone now I'm afraid, and I'm just left with a feeling of sadness and the memories of what could have been.

I'm not going to hold out any hopes for more twists cos I don't think they are coming.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I agree Pogue and up until the Chelsea game i've been feeling ill before a game...but we've had a funny season in terms of injuries and losing Ronaldo...I'm amazed we're in the position we are and have still been able to challange for the title.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Without sounding like a pessimist, I told my editor after the Milan game that I thought that would be as good as it got and we'd been punching above our weight and flattering to decieve most of the season. I didn't dare post this on the Caf of course..but still

I'm not too downbeat. I expected Chelsea to win the League at the begining of the year, and I'm pleased with Nani and Fletch's continued progress and of course the Rooney step up maneuver...I'd of been relatively alright with this at the begining of the year. We're spoiled as a support base. If we win it, major bonus, if not....

Onwards and upwards.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
I tend to feel the same as Pogue, I know in my head we will not win, bar a miracle, but that little bit of hope is still there and I will still feel disappointed again when it becomes a formality. In some ways it would be more relaxing watching when we've nothing left to play for.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.

Or is it just me?
Off topic but what movie is that from?