I don’t celebrate goals anymore

twitter thread suggester
VAR has really ruined my immediate excitement when United score.

Last night when Rashford scored the winner in the last seconds, all I could think of was that VAR would probably call for offside. Usually I would have cheered a late winner like a maniac.

Is everyone else able to ignore potential VAR rulings when watching their team score?

Judas

Open to offers
I can think of one Utd goal ever which I held back on celebrations due to VAR worries and it was Bruno's goal on Saturday because I thought it was offside. This whole issue is making a mountain out of a mole hill and I pity those who are that bothered by it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I made my son cry with my celebration last night, said I hurt his ears.
That was probably only because there was no way VAR could have over ruled anything with that one, but yeah the celebration is tempered when it's a touch and go offside decision.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sometimes, yeah. I didn't even think about it with Rashford's goal last night, though. I got caught in the moment and was too chuffed to give it a second thought.

Idxomer

I couldn't celebrate the last 2 goals because I had doubts they would be offsides, but it's not a big deal for me.

Last night when Rashford scored the winner in the last seconds, all I could think of was that VAR would probably call for offside. Usually I would have cheered a late winner like a maniac.
Same, my cheer waited for the replay when I saw he was miles on.

Strange feeling.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I had this problem at first but then I started to celebrate VAR instead. The culmination of technological precision and human-centered decision making is, for me, the pinnacle of human ingenuity. Once we lived in caves, scared of the sun and ferocious badgers but now we can harness the power of VAR to ensure football goals are given correctly. It all started with the code breakers don't you know. We'd never have had VAR if the Germans had won.

God bless it.

Gopher Brown

I was the same. My immediate thought was that he was offside as it looked tight. Luckily it wasn’t.

Being a repressed, balding English bloke who doesn’t express emotion much, it has removed my only chance to get excited, even if only for a few seconds.

cyberman

I still celebrate. Better waiting for VAR than having the linesman wrongly flag and have Jamie Redknapp tell us it all evens out and how Wolves deserve that bit of luck!
Plus you kind of get to celebrate twice!

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I still celebrate. Better waiting for VAR than having the linesman wrongly flag and have Jamie Redknapp tell us it all evens out and hoe Wolves deserve that bit of luck!
Happens all the time in the NFL

Score touchdown

Crowd cheers

Referee over PA: the play will be reviewed

Papa John's Pizza Advert

Referee over PA: the play has been reviewed. The touchdown is confirmed

Crowd cheers again

Fin

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I can think of one Utd goal ever which I held back on celebrations due to VAR worries and it was Bruno's goal on Saturday because I thought it was offside. This whole issue is making a mountain out of a mole hill and I pity those who are that bothered by it.
I held off on that one too.

It is a negative consequence of VAR, but one I think is worthwhile accepting.

kettledrumhamster

I've not celebrated the last two goals - Bruno's at Leicester and Rashford's last night. Precisely for the reason described: my assumption is that there'll be something - an offside, a tiny foul somewhere in the build-up etc. - that will take the decision to VAR and get it overturned.

I hate VAR, I hate that it has diluted one of the greatest impulsive emotional outbursts we have. Urgh.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I definitely stop myself short if I think there was probably a tight offside in the build up... like last night was a huge scream but then I stopped and thought, shit this might be offside.

If it's a penalty or a free kick or something that is highly unlikely to be pulled up then I'm doing the usually cartwheels.

SER19

Ya it's happened me a bit and I think the empty stadium adds to how weird it is. If you watch last night's goal Shaw and martial barely move for I imagine the same reasons

Even so I've still celebrated the vast majority as normal

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You just need to get used to it.

celebrate, if it gets cancelled then so be it.

usually the VAR check happens way after the celebrations end anyway.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Is it really any different to celebrating a goal only for the camera to then pan down to the linesman and you see the flag raised?

Don't see why you wouldn't celebrate a goal, if it gets ruled out so be it

Patchbeard

I celebrated like Bruno last night. Forgot all about VAR to be honest. Then realised it could be off, saw the replay, celebrated again. 2x the fun!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s awful isn’t it. I didn’t celebrate Bruno last week or Rashford last night until I had absolute confirmation it’s a goal, but by that point the other team are on the attack again & you switch to defence mode. It’s really ruined the emotion of scoring a goal. I hate it. Pretty much any goal from a through ball I hesitate.

Mike Smalling

Same. Couldn't really celebrate until I saw he was well onside on the replay.

The Everton game in the Carabao Cup reminded me how football used to be. It was really refreshing.

SirAF

Ageist
I still celebrate. Better waiting for VAR than having the linesman wrongly flag and have Jamie Redknapp tell us it all evens out and how Wolves deserve that bit of luck!
This.

acnumber9

Is it really any different to celebrating a goal only for the camera to then pan down to the linesman and you see the flag raised?

Don't see why you wouldn't celebrate a goal, if it gets ruled out so be it
It’s the volume of times goals get disallowed now though. Plus it was fairly instant before. It doesn’t always stop me, and it didn’t stop me last night. It did on Saturday though.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Is everyone else able to ignore potential VAR rulings when watching their team score?
If you actually watched the game and were focussed on it, why would you ever have thought that VAR could have given that offside?

R'hllor

Imagine holding off celebration due VAR checks, God forbid you celebrate and if VAR cancels it, emotions go in opposite direction. Also, before VAR, people had initial celebration till late flag for offside, its not like brand new concept.

Jonno

I try to instantly clock if the player is onside, and I timed it well, saw Bruno get his head down to pass, saw Rashford was clearly onside, saw the shot was deflected so rightly lost my head and jumped around the room shouting "f**king get in!!! get in!", the Mrs telling me to be quiet, and instantly checking the baby monitor. Little Harper was thankfully still flat out.

When I'm certain the goal will stand, and its the 93rd minute, I do the above, but when its maybe the first half, 0-0 and somebody is on the line of offside/onside, i'll gently fist pump, and await the VAR still.

All great fun though!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I’m the same. VAR is a load of crap. I hate it.

Posh Red

Imagine holding off celebration due VAR checks, God forbid you celebrate and if VAR cancels it, emotions go in opposite direction. Also, before VAR, people had initial celebration till late flag for offside, its not like brand new concept.
It’s not a conscious thing though is it? And it’s not just offsides that cancel goals out now. The Scotland goalkeeper couldn’t even celebrate what was possibly the greatest moment of his career because he had to wait for a potential VAR check.

Whether you are pro VAR or not, I really don’t see how you can argue that it doesn’t take something away from goal celebrations to a degree. I don’t choose not to celebrate, but I find myself holding back sometimes subconsciously.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’m the same when I watch Liverpool. I absolutely hate VAR and all this waiting and all those lines they put up to see if someone is half an inch offside.

Silverman

I agree. It was a subdued celebration from me last night until I could confirm Rashford was onside.
I miss the before VAR days.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Had this conversation with my dad the other day. I find i can't really enjoy a goal until I've seen a replay. Perfect example is the Bruno goal v Leicester the other day. I knew it would be tight so felt I didnt wanna get my hopes up.

R'hllor

It’s not a conscious thing though is it? And it’s not just offsides that cancel goals out now. The Scotland goalkeeper couldn’t even celebrate what was possibly the greatest moment of his career because he had to wait for a potential VAR check.

Whether you are pro VAR or not, I really don’t see how you can argue that it doesn’t take something away from goal celebrations to a degree. I don’t choose not to celebrate, but I find myself holding back sometimes subconsciously.
It doesnt for me, never did and never will. The moment it gets in i am up and down, if they rule out after so be it, holding back just so i can celebrate when its 100%, yea nah.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

We’ll certainly never be able to enthusiastically cheer a penalty save again, thanks to VAR. Completely impossible to be certain of the keepers feet position in real time, with the naked eye.

Jev

Yeah, I feel the same way. I nearly always hold off celebrating, anxiously awaiting the replay to see if there was anything untoward. It definitely kills some of the joy and excitement because the delayed reaction is not nearly as pure.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Had this conversation with my dad the other day. I find i can't really enjoy a goal until I've seen a replay. Perfect example is the Bruno goal v Leicester the other day. I knew it would be tight so felt I didnt wanna get my hopes up.
And we have the benefit of replays, as well as perfect angles to see each play develop. I’d say the joy sapping effect of VAR is far worse for fans in the stadium.

Posh Red

It doesnt for me, never did and never will. The moment it gets in i am up and down, if they rule out after so be it, holding back just so i can celebrate when its 100%, yea nah.
Don’t think you understood my post? It’s not deliberately holding back. That’s the whole point I was making.

RashyForPM

Be positive lads. I celebrated twice! Take it as an opportunity to double the joy when we score a goal from running in behind, because the rest of them can’t be ruled out anyway.

Of course, I say this as an avid supporter of VAR in football. It’s great and at the end of the day, we all want the right decision.