I don’t celebrate goals anymore

Smores

There's an obvious solution to all the above moaning isn't there. Celebrate if you think it's on and if not you say damn and move on.

It's not like we didn't have late linesmans decisions previously, I can't recall this nonsense of having to wait until its confirmed before celebrating.

Posh Red

There's an obvious solution to all the above moaning isn't there. Celebrate if you think it's on and if not you say damn and move on.

It's not like we didn't have late linesmans decisions previously, I can't recall this nonsense of having to wait until its confirmed before celebrating.
Celebrating isn’t really a choice though. It’s a natural reaction.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Can't agree. Yes, sometimes you celebrate less if you're not sure but overall, there's so much less frustration and unfair results that it is far better. Plus it's not even that bad, not every goal is a tight decision. And if it is, you celebrate when it's confirmed, too.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yeah I don't get it really , if you are some one who likes to celebrate goals rather than get the correct decision then just go crazy.

If it's ruled out? Who gives a shit, you've already had your emotional moment.

The goal being chalked off doesn't mean you have your emotional response erased.

They can't take your celebration back.

If you prefer the correct call (like me) then I'm happy to wait a couple of moments (after my celebration) instead of watching terrible offside calls week after week (that's how it was as long as I can remember).

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Celebrating isn’t really a choice though. It’s a natural reaction.
Agreed , so why are people choosing not to celebrate?

Just go with your natural reaction and if it's chalked off you still had your moment.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
When watching it on television I prefer what VAR brings all in all, in the stands less so.

Ladron de redcafe

Agreed , so why are people choosing not to celebrate?

Just go with your natural reaction and if it's chalked off you still had your moment.
I agree but as a viewer, do you really celebrate the same way not knowing the outcome (I.e. whether its actually a goal). These days, I find that the live time reaction is attenuated as we wait for a pending VAR.

As far as players go, I think that players are celebrating, but you can see cases where it isn't wild celebration at first but becomes more exuberant when the goal is confirmed. It does seem to affect them.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I agree but as a viewer, do you really celebrate the same way not knowing the outcome (I.e. whether its actually a goal). These days, I find that the live time reaction is attenuated as we wait for a pending VAR
Yeah I just celebrate and if I'm wrong...nothing was lost really. I've celebrated goals that were later flagged off pre-var and Ill continue to do so now.

If it's confirmed I get another mini celebration.

As far as players go, I think that players are celebrating, but you can see cases where it isn't wild celebration at first but becomes more exuberant when the goal is confirmed. It does seem to affect them.
True but (especially with offside calls) players would frequently look at the ref/ linesmen to see if there are any flags etc on their way to celebrate.

Refs and Linesmen have been ruining legit goal celebrations for decades anyway.

Here is an example of a goal that would have been ruled out back in the old days (pre var) where a players celebration was halted (incorrectly) by the linesman but the VAR check and confirmation actually saved the day.

Casemiro celebration recently was pretty wild ( I can't remember the match but he went to the crowd) as was Bruno's "offside" goal before the linesman raised his flag (another goal that would have been ruled out back in the good old days).

Ladron de redcafe

Yeah I just celebrate and if I'm wrong...nothing was lost really. I've celebrated goals that were later flagged off pre-var and Ill continue to do so now.

If it's confirmed I get another mini celebration.

True but (especially with offside calls) players would frequently look at the ref/ linesmen to see if there are any flags etc on their way to celebrate.

Refs and Linesmen have been ruining legit goal celebrations for decades anyway.

Here is an example of a goal that would have been ruled out back in the old days (pre var) where a players celebration was halted (incorrectly) by the linesman but the VAR check and confirmation actually saved the day.

Casemiro celebration recently was pretty wild ( I can't remember the match but he went to the crowd) as was Bruno's "offside" goal before the linesman raised his flag (another goal that would have been ruled out back in the good old days).
I agree with your point main point, which is that VAR is rectifying mistakes that would have happened in the pre-VAR days. And true regarding the examples of VAR sparking celebrations that would have been interrupted by an incorrect offside flag in the old days. Since the linesmen are told to keep their flags down now, it would allow the celebration to commence while the check goes on in the background.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Can’t celebrate, need to wait untill the other team kicks off then think ah yeah we scored. Days of glancing at a linesman and then going bonkers has long gone

cyberman

He lets go of the keeper just as Johnny heads it?! I’m lost. He isn’t offside until Johnny heads it

twitter thread suggester
Can’t celebrate, need to wait untill the other team kicks off then think ah yeah we scored. Days of glancing at a linesman and then going bonkers has long gone
It will be the death of my interest in football.

rollingstoned1

If var=correct decision I would still be able to understand it. That's clearly not the case in many of the instances.

SER19

posted in another thread but relevant here. weve had a var decision in every match played so far this season. It's too much. You can't justify its use when you see what was allowed to stand for city the other week despite var. It has in no way improved the standard of the game and its only real impact is making fans stop celebrating

GMoore23

If var=correct decision I would still be able to understand it. That's clearly not the case in many of the instances.
I don't want var even if it was correct every time. Controversial wrong decisions added to the craic in the game. Banter after a game arguing about offsides etc was brilliant.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
You don't celebrate goals because VAR might overturn them.

I don't celebrate goals because we don't score any.

We are not the same.

antk

I don't get why the onus should be on the fans celebrating an illegal goal rather than on the opposing team and its fans being penalized due to a ref mistake. Do their "emotions" not matter?

Thom Merrilin

I don't want var even if it was correct every time. Controversial wrong decisions added to the craic in the game. Banter after a game arguing about offsides etc was brilliant.
Im not a huge VAR fan but that sounds dreadful to me. Arguing over objective decisions?

ShinjiNinja26

It’s got to the point now where I assume every Utd goal will be chalked off it happens that often. Completely ruins any enjoyment you initially get from seeing a goal, especially the stunner Bruno just scored.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
feck VAR. Might be a minor issue in the grand scheme of things but every time United score, my 5 year old asks me if its offside rather than celebrate like he should. Just saps a lot of natural enjoyment from the game.

I would still dislike it without that but I hate it even more now.

acnumber9

I don't get why the onus should be on the fans celebrating an illegal goal rather than on the opposing team and its fans being penalized due to a ref mistake. Do their "emotions" not matter?
You say that like VAR gets rid of that emotion. It often makes it worse.

GMoore23

Im not a huge VAR fan but that sounds dreadful to me. Arguing over objective decisions?
Like that time when Carroll pulled the ball out of the net and it was ruled no goal even though the ball had literally crossed the line by about a foot :lol: :lol:

So much fun on the wind up the next day.

antk

You say that like VAR gets rid of that emotion. It often makes it worse.
I actually believe there are way less critical ref mistakes than before thanks to VAR, so it drastically reduced those instances.

The setup of VAR give the false impression of errors being more prevalent, when we had actual obvious offside goals given in half the games before.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Worst thing about VAR. Even if they were getting 100% of the calls right I’d hate it. The fact they still make errors and just look at what they can disallow for every goal has made the sport a worse spectacle.

Thom Merrilin

Like that time when Carroll pulled the ball out of the net and it was ruled no goal even though the ball had literally crossed the line by about a foot :lol: :lol:

So much fun on the wind up the next day.
Well I guess if your objective is to wind people up having incorrect decisions helps.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Easy to say but imagine being an Irish fan and not going to the world cup because Henry blatantly cheated.

Or losing in a world cup that happens every 4 years by a Maradona handball

GMoore23

Easy to say but imagine being an Irish fan and not going to the world cup because Henry blatantly cheated.

Or losing in a world cup that happens every 4 years by a Maradona handball

I'm an Irish man and that Henry cheat was infuriating. Hated the cnut beforehand and that made it even worse.

But still, it works both ways.

The Maradona handball is one of the greatest moments in football history.