I don’t celebrate goals anymore

Withnail

I knew Rashford (Cavani) was well offside the moment it went in but I still went mad celebrating because I knew they weren’t going to rule it out.

You just can’t humanly go against Old Traffords roar when they’ve been in such a long drawn out depression for the past few months.

There is life in football after all.
You knew they were well offside (which they weren't) but you also knew it wouldn't be ruled out? This makes no sense to me at all.

Although, I do agree on the main point. I can't help shouting and roaring when I'm at home. If I was in the stadium there's no way I'm not going nuts.

Judas

Open to offers
People seemingly choosing to sabotage their own enjoyment of the sport seems a bit daft. If VAR has stunted your natural reaction to celebrate so easily that's bizarre and quite funny to me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The amount of mistakes directly affecting the scoreline have decreased. It's something that cannot be denied. I'll enjoy more my team scoring legit goals even if it means I have to delay my celebration a little. We're not kids anymore are we ?
Come on man, of course we enjoy them. But this new start stop start celebration is so obviously inferior to football pre-VAR I find it really hard to work out why anyone wouldn’t find it a problem. We’ve made the most joyous moments as a fan less enjoyable. How is that not an issue for you?

Kramer

Come on man, of course we enjoy them. But this new start stop start celebration is so obviously inferior to football pre-VAR I find it really hard to work out why anyone wouldn’t find it a problem. We’ve made the most joyous moments as a fan less enjoyable. How is that not an issue for you?
How would you feel if the assistant had flagged Cavani offside (wrongly) and it ended 0-0 because there was no VAR to overrule it.

That’s basically it. That’s why we need to live with VAR. The positives outweigh the negatives IMO.

As others have said, I celebrate twice. It will just take a bit of getting used to the new normal - that’s it. Happens in other major sports as well (cricket, critical points in tennis etc.).

Getting the big match deciding decisions right is far more important than delayed celebrations.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How would you feel if the assistant had flagged Cavani offside (wrongly) and it ended 0-0 because there was no VAR to overrule it.

That’s basically it. That’s why we need to live with VAR. The positives outweigh the negatives IMO.

As others have said, I celebrate twice. It will just take a bit of getting used to the new normal - that’s it. Happens in other major sports as well (cricket, critical points in tennis etc.).

Getting the big match deciding decisions right is far more important than delayed celebrations.
Every time people try to explain to me VAR is better it’s like they’re talking to someone with no experience of the alternative. I know what it’s like to occasionally be on the end of a bad decision (not least because it’s still fecking happening!) and, for me, that was a price worth paying to do without the relentless irritations of VAR.

I never understood why anyone found refereeing mistakes so unbearable. It’s simple human error. They’re fallible. I could live with that. Never once stopped me enjoying watching football. If anything it added to all the drama. In fact, I find the errors and inconsistencies infinitely more annoying now than they ever were before. Right now we’re getting the worst of both worlds.

twitter thread suggester
And I agree that once they develop a tech to properly and instantly call offsides then my worries will disappear, as offsides are probably responsible for 95% of my fears.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
My enjoyment of goals hasn't been that affected and I haven't let VAR annoy me to that same extent of yours. Is it ideal ? Of course not but is it that much of a problem to the point where I'd rather see offside goals be allowed ? Hell no.
That's just crazy to me. Refereeing mistakes are part of the game and will always be part of the game but all mistakes do not weight the same and if some vital ones, can be corrected, I'm all for it.

MacGlock88

Celebrate whenever you get the chance.
There was great celebration on Saturday when Ronaldo headed home from the BF free kick.

Even Paddy Power were getting in on the act, how OFFSIDE the whole forward line was.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Even when a goal is very clearly onside and clean, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "what if VAR decides to review this?"

Great thread OP.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
If I’m watching on TV I am a bit hesitant to celebrate straight away, but at the game I don’t think twice about celebrating.

Rajma

Same, if I’m not in the stadium I can’t celebrate if it’s not a clear cut goal, definitely ruined the immediate excitement

Dan_F

It’s shit. They can’t get decisions right anyway so what’s the fecking point.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Any time a goal looks 'scruffy', you get the impression they'll find something wrong with it, even if you don't know what it is.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's the ones you celebrate that you don't even give a second's thought to being off that kill you.
I don't mean today's one, but the ones where someone's ankle is an inch off. But it takes 4 reviews in slow mo to determine.

68cob

I kind of just smile in anticipation of goals being confirmed

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Biggest issue I have with VAR. That’s why it annoys me when people say it’s the referees not the technology. It’s the technology. It doesn’t work in football.

meamth

Well it's the other way around for me.

If United concede a goal, I always wait for VAR to double check any wrong decisions.

Celebrations are brief, results is more important.
Fine it may not be correct 1 time out of 10, but the assurance is there.

meamth

No. This is not your tax return. It is emotions and entertainment.
Yes emotions, world cup 2022 was full of it, no problem. The game has changed, but there's still a lot of emotions and celebrations. Not much has changed.

jm99

I don't know about this, I mean if you think about potential goals that can be scored, free kicks and penalties aren't ruled out for VAR. Long range strikes, individual goals, goals from corners will be very rarely ruled out. It's really only borderline offsides that you might be reluctant to celebrate, fouls in the build-up are fairly rare

Red Rash

100% agree. VAR is the worst idea that has ever come to fruition.
I don't think it's the worse idea but it's poorly implemented. I wish they would give goals when it's a really close call and only use it to rule out obviously incorrect goals, kind of like they had the "give the advantage to the attacker" offside rule in the past.

The Irish Connection

I don't know about this, I mean if you think about potential goals that can be scored, free kicks and penalties aren't ruled out for VAR. Long range strikes, individual goals, goals from corners will be very rarely ruled out. It's really only borderline offsides that you might be reluctant to celebrate, fouls in the build-up are fairly rare
Exactly. 9 times out of 10 you can tell if it was on or off if you’re paying attention to the defensive line.
I think var has improved the game overall.
Rashford was robbed today though because the officials don’t have a clue about the offside rule or it’s too open to interpretation.