"I have the feeling United are coming back," said Pep Guardiola is my idol in jinx attempt

croadyman

Ehhh bit of a stretch to say we're title contenders. We're def making progress but I don't think it's a serious statement to make.

Data doesn't back it up: xGD per match is still ~top four level rather than champions. None of the supporting metrics like PPDA, High turn overs etc. are up there too. The only one I saw was the big chances conceded stat which made our defence look pretty good.

Average attack / decent defence lines up with the eye test too.
Yeah I think our average goal return and lack of squad depth is understandably why we are going under radar in pundits eyes

FujiVice

I do like how Ten Hag is like "you think this is good?" His goals are much more lofty than this. He wants to be number one.

AlPistacho

Ehhh bit of a stretch to say we're title contenders. We're def making progress but I don't think it's a serious statement to make.

Data doesn't back it up: xGD per match is still ~top four level rather than champions. None of the supporting metrics like PPDA, High turn overs etc. are up there too. The only one I saw was the big chances conceded stat which made our defence look pretty good.

Average attack / decent defence lines up with the eye test too.
Didn’t say we’re title contenders, but we’re definitely dark horses who might just be there near the end and who knows. My only concern is lack of an extra forward and lack of squad depth for out key players like Varane, De Gea, Casemiro, Martinez, Bruno, Rashford. Also the fact that from that list only 1 is a forward is also a concern.

I’m old school and tend to judge with my eyes over new age stats like xGD and whatever PPDA is.

croadyman

Didn’t say we’re title contenders, but we’re definitely dark horses who might just be there near the end and who knows. My only concern is lack of an extra forward and lack of squad depth for out key players like Varane, De Gea, Casemiro, Martinez, Bruno, Rashford. Also the fact that from that list only 1 is a forward is also a concern.

I’m old school and tend to judge with my eyes over new age stats like xGD and whatever PPDA is.
Only one forward is a massive issue

Passitlikescholes

I think if ETH can get Antony settled in and firing, Sancho firing, in the summer find a starting midfielder over Erikksen, and most importantly get a striker, then the rest of the team/squad is sufficient enough to challenge for the title.

This season, if he gets Sancho and Antony firing and a striker to come in, we may surprise with a long run.

Also a bit concerned that the crop of players (outside of Casemiro, Erikksen, Martinez and Antony) may have a confidence issue whenever we face City (given we've been battered by them and have only gotten results playing on the counter)

croadyman

I think if ETH can get Antony settled in and firing, Sancho firing, in the summer find a starting midfielder over Erikksen, and most importantly get a striker, then the rest of the team/squad is sufficient enough to challenge for the title.

This season, if he gets Sancho and Antony firing and a striker to come in, we may surprise with a long run.

Also a bit concerned that the crop of players (outside of Casemiro, Erikksen, Martinez and Antony) may have a confidence issue whenever we face City (given we've been battered by them and have only gotten results playing on the counter)
Problem is where's that striker/CF

RuudTom83

Will be very interesting to watch the rematch against City.

Lots of players in the squad have been battered on a few occasions against City.

Let’s see how far EtH and the players have improved since the 6 goal hiding.

Passitlikescholes

Problem is where's that striker/CF
It has to be a link up player and a striker who can get us minimum 15 goals a season. I'd expect, long term, that we'd expect a fair amount of goals from Antony, Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho on the flanks.

So rather than an out and out striker who bangs away goals, we're more in desperate need of a hold up/link up man.

Deen95

This is a media tactic by Pep to get the journalists and pundits to attack/focus on us if we lose against them and Arsenal this month.

It's already commenced with Carra's recent comments on Sky that we are back on par with City and Liverpool.

croadyman

It has to be a link up player and a striker who can get us minimum 15 goals a season. I'd expect, long term, that we'd expect a fair amount of goals from Antony, Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho on the flanks.

So rather than an out and out striker who bangs away goals, we're more in desperate need of a hold up/link up man.
Felix could provide the link up but not sure he has the strength to hold it up as well. Interesting that whoscored says he's strong at headed attempts which surprised me. Sounds like he's a strong finisher too but needs to score more.

Last edited: