I hope the suspension doesn't derail our momentum

Aarron Swift

We were about to play Spurs at the best time. Our form vs their form & injury list. Is a shame.

Hopefully our good form recently is less about ‘momentum’ and just that our quality is starting to show through now we have Bruno creatively

RUCK4444

I agree, this is a concern, just when we are making good momentum this happens.

Spurs will no doubt have players back by the time the game is played now as well:mad:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
First time post Fergie I'm looking forward to every game and this happens :(

mu4c_20le

Momentum goes up and down. Lets face it, our run would've come to an end one way or another, most likely to Spurs because that's how football usually works. I'm content with ending our season on a high, and with hope.

Le Red

Well if a UK state of emergency is declared and everything is shut down, there's not really much left to do...

Bring on the Cheetos
Precisely, they have time to work out, I suppose all of them have home gyms. I know it's not the same as the everyday training, but they can keep fit and still have some rest and recovery.

IronTulip

I live in the US. Some of the reports I've read are very scary. Early predictions by "Experts" are up to 70% of the US population eventually getting infected. Even if you are young you can still have permanent after effects like lung scarring.

I'm waiting to see how these footballers who have been tested positive recover. If they can recover fully to play at the same level.

Was inevitable something like this would happen. Have had warnings with viruses before and yet no actions plans put in place. Governments are just making policies as we go along. Money being the key factor over health. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no major sporting events till 2021.

/Rant - Sorry went off topic.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's the same for everyone. It is a shame cause we had a winter break and there was lots to look forward too. However, we can at least see a team forming and that's very positive.

Snafu17

This sort of break is completely unprecedented. Even if it's just three weeks, which it very likely won't be, that's still a lot of time, especially considering the players will likely have to stay at home and workout by themselves. With no training and matches there's going to be a lack of match sharpness by the time the league restarts. If the league is suspended for two or more months that's more time away from football than the players usually have on their summer break. You'd think they'll basically have to go through another preseason.

So no, there's no chance we keep our momentum after the suspension is over. You just have to hope we'll get ready properly and improve with the likely additions of Pogba and Rashford.

Last edited:

0le

Regarding United, I just hope everyone associated with our team remains safe.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I live in the US. Some of the reports I've read are very scary. Early predictions by "Experts" are up to 70% of the US population eventually getting infected. Even if you are young you can still have permanent after effects like lung scarring.

I'm waiting to see how these footballers who have been tested positive recover. If they can recover fully to play at the same level.

Was inevitable something like this would happen. Have had warnings with viruses before and yet no actions plans put in place. Governments are just making policies as we go along. Money being the key factor over health. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no major sporting events till 2021.

That's one of the many myths going around and not true at all. After effects aren't really known at the moment, but there's nothing that suggests anything major.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's one of the many myths going around and not true at all. After effects aren't really known at the moment, but there's nothing that suggests anything major.
It baffles me that people believe all this bollocks, the virus started in November ? How the hell would anyone know the after effects.

davidmichael

Just read on Sky Sports News that ‘a senior source’ at a Premier League club has said there’s a 75% chance the league is done for this season and it may affect the start of next season, can you imagine if Liverpool don’t get crowned champions on the basis the league wasn’t completed ?

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Just read on Sky Sports News that ‘a senior source’ at a Premier League club has said there’s a 75% chance the league is done for this season and it may affect the start of next season, can you imagine if Liverpool don’t get crowned champions on the basis the league wasn’t completed ?
I've been fantasising about it since the Italian league got suspended so yes.

So if the league is cancelled (it will be), who'll get next seasons CL-spots? Will it be based on 18/19-league?
Maybe the current standing? If so, will fifth be enough, with City's ban?

wilkie1990

Why would it? Think of it this way, if our remaining fixtures were the fixtures at the start of a new season, you would be pretty confident of the majority of games going our way. Players will be going to training still, so should hit the ground running more so than the start of a new season.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm inclined to think if it's anything other than a false dawn we'll be fine. If anything we should come back better next year with a couple of additions and Rashford back, maybe Pogba.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I haven't heard of any country having that percentage affected, who said that?

Athletes should be fine given age and health. Age (60+) and underlying health issues are meant to be the factors that lead to deaths/long term issues.

The UK Government medical advisor/officer said high percentages of affected population would actually be positive (not short term obviously) as it'd help us build immunity for future versions.... which they think could return relatively frequently.

Hawks2008

A shame we couldn't get the Spurs game in before the suspension. I'd rather play them without Kane/Son given our away record.

Bondi77

I take it that if the season runs into June and I cannot see it resuming in April then that would have to mean the cancellation of the Euros or postponement til 21 when we will then have the World Cup in the following season which then would be some workload for the top players.
Maybe next season there will be a cancellation of some of the domestic and European Cup competitions for the season just to lighten the load before the international competitions start.

IronTulip

I haven't heard of any country having that percentage affected, who said that?

Athletes should be fine given age and health. Age (60+) and underlying health issues are meant to be the factors that lead to deaths/long term issues.

The UK Government medical advisor/officer said high percentages of affected population would actually be positive (not short term obviously) as it'd help us build immunity for future versions.... which they think could return relatively frequently.
It was a panel of experts at UCSF. That link has since been taken down, so not sure now how credible it was. They had mentioned between 40 to 70%.

The link where I read about lung scarring tissue, which searching on Google confirms is a small possibility with Pneumonia is at

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unaf...d-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

Stay safe and healthy all!

wolvored

I think the season is done. Along with the Euros as well. That would mean this season would be wrote off and we go again from August/September into a new season. Big upside would be we get the transfers in that Ole wants, as surely he will get another season now, and of course Liverpool dont get to win the league!!!!!!

Schmeichel=God

It's not like they would be on their sofa eating Cheetos all day long.
Well if a UK state of emergency is declared and everything is shut down, there's not really much left to do...

Bring on the Cheetos
And here I am, sat on my settee scrolling....and now you've made me hungry.

Obtaining Cheetos probably means obtaining the virus from my local offie though...
Worthwhile trade? :lol:

mav_9me

As a few have pointed out the season is done. All this will pale in comparison in a few weeks.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I have friends in the medical community and this is an absolute myth. We have no idea what the long term side effects of this disease is. Right now all we do know is that the progress mimics the common flu.

What we have learned from a cluster group study is that you are 'likely' (Im using the word likely because thats as sure as anyone is at the moment), contagious at least 24 hours before you carry any symptoms, which makes quarantine after being diagnosed less effective than you'd have hoped.

What you're referring to is the diagnosed side effects following the MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) and SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) outbreaks. There is currently no pulmonary nodules, pleural effusion, lymphadenopathy or cavitation diagnosed in any patient infected with Covid-19.

There is a recommendation to follow up patients recovering from Covid-19 to screen them with CT scans to evaluate any long term or even permanent side effects from the disease, hereunder permanent pulmanory damage including fibrosis (lung scarring). They recommend this because this IS one of the side effects of MERS and SARS, but we have no reported cases of this for Covid-19 currently. Any mention of that is only going to make people concerned and there is no reason to believe this is the case today. They screen to rule out, not to confirm a side effect. Big difference.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I would have put money on us overtaking Chelsea recently. Their form has been very inconsistent and our form was looking decent, I was looking forward to every match again, was even normally optimistic. But I don't see the season getting finished, it definitely won't start again on the 3rd Feb like they said, and by that time all teams will be rusty, us included. I think Ole will do a good job of keeping them motivated, so wouldn't neccessarily fall as much as everyone else, but it will be too much like a gamble, and our next opponent Spurs will be happy for the break to have come at this time to re-group a little, maybe even get someone back from injury to make the game harder.