Film I made a simple website for getting film recommendations

OleBoiii

Link to my humble website: https://ripten.github.io/olesrecommendations/

I'm not a good web designer(obviously), but I appreciate feedback on things that can improve(apart from my film tastes:p).

How many films are there in the database?
76 at the moment

What is the data based on?
Simply put: my personal film tastes. Before adding a film, it's a requirement that I personally enjoy it. Because of this the database is not likely to break 100 films for a relatively long time.

What are your biases?
I'm biased towards East-Asian cinema(33% of total) and animation(18% of total). I also clearly favor newer films(post 1990), but there is a decent amount of older films as well(25% of total).

Is the site mobile friendly?
Yes!

How does the filtering work?
You quite simply answer 4 quick questions. In the last question(about genres) I recommend that you pick 1 or 2 genres. If you pick 0 then you will probably get a lot of recommendations, which kind of defeats the purpose. If you pick 3 or more genres then you might end up with a lot of recommendations. If you pick 'Action' and "Horror'(for instance), then you will get both action films and horror films.

What is that "Deep" genre?
Films that have a lot of depth, basically. They can be quite abstract and is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Bergman's Persona is a good example of this genre/tag.

Are there any genres I should avoid under certain circumstances?
Definitely avoid the "Dark" tag if you're on a date or watching a film with your parents/kids. You should also probably avoid the "Sad" tag in this case.

The result of the filtering changes from time to time?
If the result of the filtering is more than 20 recommendations, then you will get a compressed list view instead of big blocks/posters. To get more metadata(if you get a compressed list) simply click on the row of the film you want to know more about.

What happens if I click on the actual film posters?
You get redirected to IMDb page of that film.

I just want to see the whole library so that I can judge your shite film tastes!
Fair enough! Simply click "Yes" on the first 3 questions and "Get recommendations!" on the 4th question, without clicking on any genres!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just curious, does IMDB not have something like this?

OleBoiii

Just curious, does IMDB not have something like this?
Not that I know of? It's been a while since I used it, but back then you only got recommendations based on your earlier ratings. The film genres are also not that descriptive, imo. I'm also not sure if you can filter on black and white movies etc.

I could be wrong, though! :)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
criticker is really good - nice idea but you can't beat their algorithm

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
@OleBoiii nice work, keep at it! Most of the films recommended were stuff I had already seen but that'll be down to the database size and will improve when expanded. Guessing when it is bigger you might end up adding more potential filters like directors (like recommending films by similar sorts of directors) and a timescale for year release though that is probably covered by the black and white question

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not that I know of? It's been a while since I used it, but back then you only got recommendations based on your earlier ratings. The film genres are also not that descriptive, imo. I'm also not sure if you can filter on black and white movies etc.

I could be wrong, though! :)
Uh, if you go on to the page of a movie or TV show there's a nice big section called "more like this"

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i would make a simple change; add way more questions and ensure that no matter what people choose, they end up with “nutty professor 2: the klumps” as the only proposed film.

Bobade

Small database and if it is going to take a long time to get over 100 , then it is slow progress.

However, on the plus side, I filled out the questions and all the recommendations were top films. I've seen them all, so it is of limited use, but still...Great selections !

Minkaro

It’s fun to play around with, but I think I’ll stick with Movielens for now.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I like this, very cool :cool:

I got 14 recommendations and I've seen them all. But then again, you and I have very similar tastes in film judging from past conversations.

If you ever expand and make changes, I'd quite like an option for foreign language films by area (e.g. Europe, Africa, East Asia). Also links to reviews or websites (e.g. IMDB/MUBI).

Edit - How did you go about coding it?

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I'm really enjoying it but so far 60% of what I'm being recommended are German scat films.

I actually got recommended Ran which I love, so I'm going to watch that tomorrow

OleBoiii

@OleBoiii nice work, keep at it! Most of the films recommended were stuff I had already seen but that'll be down to the database size and will improve when expanded. Guessing when it is bigger you might end up adding more potential filters like directors (like recommending films by similar sorts of directors) and a timescale for year release though that is probably covered by the black and white question
Thanks! :)

Good suggestions! It's definitely something I must consider when the library grows.

It looks great, but completely falls apart if I find your taste to be shit. It should be a collection of different views aggregated.
This is actually a part of the point. I'm probably in the minority here, but I tend to prefer to get recommendations from a handful of content creators and critics rather than aggregated results from sites like IMDb.

But it is as you say: if you disagree with the content creator or critic, then the app/website becomes useless to you. Having said that, I do think I have a pretty varied library(although I have my biases). I actually think the biggest obstacle are people who have seen a lot of films. They are the ones who would enjoy these websites the most, while simultaneously not getting much use out of it as they are likely to have seen most of the films.

I like this, very cool :cool:
Thanks! :)

Edit - How did you go about coding it?
I wrote the code in React and hosted everything on Github. I'm a backend programmer so I kind of took this opportunity to learn more frontend programming.

If you google "react app github pages" there should be several guides(if you are interested) :)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Oooh, nice. Didn't know about A Dirty Carnival until now and I think I'll watch that tonight!

My only criticism would be that it asked me if I wanted animated options, which only reminded me that anime is a thing which in turn made me remember how much I hate anime. But other than that I give it the Pidgy Stamp of Approval, which is actually worth feck all but you can have it anyway.

Andy_Cole

This is great - seems you have similar taste to myself too as I’ve seen many of them. But that’s a good thing as the ones I haven’t seen I’ll check out.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Don't think I would class Princess Mononoke as kid friendly mind.

Also,needs more Zombie films.

OleBoiii

Oooh, nice. Didn't know about A Dirty Carnival until now and I think I'll watch that tonight!
I hope you like it! :D

Don't think I would class Princess Mononoke as kid friendly mind.
Oooh, that's a mistake! Thanks, I'll fix it after my trip.

Also,needs more Zombie films.
I agree! :p

Nah, I knew that something similar had to exist somewhere :)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just dump a load of George Romero films in there. :D

And if you want zombies + comedy throw in Dan O'Bannon's The Return of the Living Dead and Peter Jackson's brilliant Braindead.

Roosney

Nice stuff @OleBoiii

Frontend wise I'd change these:
- In the movie modal window I'd have the links to open in a new tab. If user returns to your site afterwards all filtering is reset.
- After the first filtering of the movies I'd have the genre button filters available again
- by the look of the css I knew this was a backend developer's doings :D

OleBoiii

Update
- 3 new films added (Misery, Zombieland and Wolf Children).
- Clicking on posters will now open a new IMDb tab, rather than redirecting.
- Start page with "FAQ" added.
- Slightly better CSS (imo).

I also wanted to add Google Analytics just to see how many people actually end up using the website, but I could only make it work for Firefox users for some reason. I guess there's bound to be some downsides when you want to host shit for free, even if you don't need an actual database :D