I need your help

Denis79

About two years ago we had a new guy coming in to work at the restaurant I'm at here in Sweden, an English guy from Manchester, I didn't even introduce myself before asking what team he supports, turned out he was a huge United supporter and the rest of his family aswell, His grandparents have held season tickets for over 30 years and even after the passing of his grandfather his grandmother over 80 years old still attends every home game.

His parents had to move to London because of his fathers job but the same week he retired he returned home to Manchester to be closer to his family and the club he loves.

He has a little brother with a bad chronical disease, being stuck in a wheelchair with only one functional arm he still sees the best in life and has the greatest humor you'll ever find. Not giving up because of his disability he moved to Germany to spread his wings and study at an University.

During the holidays they all travel home to Manchester to spend time together as a family. This year they planned a family event to watch United play on boxing day. Unfortunelly his little brother had to be taken to the hospital the same morning because of stomach aches. This is nothing unusual because of his lack of mobility he easily gets constipated. They chose to watch the game at the hospital together instead.

Long story short this guy that started working with me slowly but surely became my best friend. Yesterday at work he gets a Skype call from his father, this tough guy , I've never even seen show emotion completely breaks down and starts crying without control. His father tells him that his little brother only 25 years old is terminally ill and that the doctors give him less than a month to live. The stomach ache was a cancer growing rapidly. My friend is very close to his brother and constantly tells stories about him and what they did in their youth.

I took all his shifts to help him out and he left for England today, there's no way for me to leave Sweden while all this is happening. I was wondering if anyone sitting in Stretford End or somewhere would be willing to get a banner up saying " Get well Ed" or something. I know this would mean the world to him and his family. I'll transfer the money for a banner or whatever is needed. I'm not even sure you are allowed to bring personal banners but I don't know where else to turn than here or maybe you guys have an idea?

Thank you for your time
/Denis

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Very nice idea what you are tying to do mate, I hope you have some joy with this. My only concern is, I'm not sure putting up a banner saying "get well Ed" when he's been given a month to live is the way forward mate. Maybe reword what you want to say?

Denis79

Very nice idea what you are tying to do mate, I hope you have some joy with this. My only concern is, I'm not sure putting up a banner saying "get well Ed" when he's been given a month to live is the way forward mate. Maybe reword what you want to say?
You are right

"We are all with you Ed"

slir32

I would suggest as an alternative for you to call the club and let them know your friends brother has 1 month to live and if its possible to send a player or 2 to go visit him. In my opinion that would be better than a banner.

Denis79

I would suggest as an alternative for you to call the club and let them know your friends brother has 1 month to live and if its possible to send a player or 2 to go visit him. In my opinion that would be better than a banner.
I did that aswell. But seeing the fans united behind a brother is what I would appeiciate more I think.

Denis79

Edward Percival passed today surrounded by his loving family. His United top was placed next to him in the bed.

RIP Ed

Witchking

Just read this thread. Would be so heart breaking for the family. I hope they get through this. RIP Edward. @Denis79 you tried your best and you are a good man. Take care.

Marcelinho87

Edward Percival passed today surrounded by his loving family. His United top was placed next to him in the bed.

RIP Ed
Jesus, I started reading this with the hope something at a game was going to be done, didn't expect it to be over with so soon.

So terrible for the family and I hope Ed is resting peacefully now.

R.I.P Ed!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That's heartbreaking, within the space of two weeks, awful news :(

RIP Edward, and take care of yourself and your best friend mate.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Heartbreaking. Absolutely. You're a genuine pal mate. Your actions to help your buddy out tells much about character.

NinjaFletch

Sorry to hear this.

FWIW it might still be worth getting in touch with the club to see if there is anything they can do like get a mention in the programme, or a letter of condolence or something of that ilk.

Unfortunately this sort of community aspect is something the big clubs have lost, but it would be worth a try.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I did that aswell. But seeing the fans united behind a brother is what I would appeiciate more I think.
sad to hear this ended so quickly - out of interest did the club reply to you?

Denis79

sad to hear this ended so quickly - out of interest did the club reply to you?
I actually sent emails to 6 or 7 different divisions within the club. I got a response from several of them but nothing concrete yet.

edit: I've updated them on the situation aswell hopefully they atleast send a card to the family.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
May Ed rest in peace. Amin.

@Denis79 - you're a good guy - hope you manage to arrange something appropriate to help your friend and his family grieve their loss.

Denis79

Finally got a official response. They will write a letter of condolences. I'm sure his family will appriciate it. But I still dont want to give up there.

If anyone is going to a match in the near future I would appriciate if a banner was used, I'm sure his family would to.

I will send whatever you would need from here in Sweden.

I could make the banner here and send it to anyone willing to show it for a few seconds.

Bwuk

Rest in Power Ed.

@Denis79 i don't know you, but I'd like to commend you. Your a great friend to Ed.

Bogga

What a gesture Denis! Hope something materialises from all your efforts!

Vila i frid Ed

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Genuinely have tears in my eyes, I hope I can provide even half the amount of support you were willing to go through for your friend if I was ever needed.

Jaxdan

RIP Ed

Thoughts and prayers to him, family, and friends. Life is precious and way too short for so many. I am currently "in the fight" myself, though my prognosis is good. Cancer sucks. Godspeed Ed.

Denis79

Update:

My friend and his family recieved a handwritten letter from the club signed by Mourinho himself, if it's really him or who wrote the letter doesn't matter, it really meant alot to them. I am so impressed that even in this age where money is everything the club really showed some heart in this situation.

Womp

idiot
Update:

My friend and his family recieved a handwritten letter from the club signed by Mourinho himself, if it's really him or who wrote the letter doesn't matter, it really meant alot to them. I am so impressed that even in this age where money is everything the club really showed some heart in this situation.
That's terrific to hear, surprising how far a little consideration can go.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
RIP to Ed.

Touching story. You can see the power of football and how it transcends the pitch into real lives.