I really thought James Wilson and Nick Powell would make it at a high level

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Fair play to the posters who put time on here to keep tabs on Youth Team players - Esp - @khoazany @RedMachine03 @Pogue Mahone

Anyway - I came across a post I did on James Wilson years ago. It was interesting to see the reaction to him. How wrong we were on Redcafe.

Its brilliant to read back on other players on here. Angel Gomes, Dean Henderson, Rashford, McTominay grew from 5'6" to 6'4" inside a few years.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's hard to blame you – I had the exact same expectations. Maybe there was a little doubt about Powell in my mind – he did look a bit limited at times outside of his shooting and clever tricks, but Wilson looked like the safest bet possible.

K Stand Knut

Probably a tad harsh on Powell to compare him to Wilson.

I’d say he made a poor career choice coming to United so early but he’s been a decent Championship player for the last 3/4 years.

I appreciate that he hasn’t it the heights of where some of thought he would get to but it’s decent career.

Miles better than 60% of professional footballers and miles better than James Wilson

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I was convinced Januzaj was going to be the main man at United for years to come... :(

Prodigal7

I never understood the hype for Powell but Januzaj and Wilson (especially Januzaj) I thought would be 1st team regulars.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I though Wilson was gonna be great too... But I was most into David Healy, thought he was going to be feckin amazing.

Remember when he came off the bench, I think for his debut and hit the post with a great effort against... I want to say Leeds?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Wilson just never did anything in the first team though when he got a chance. I remember one goal against Cambridge that was decent but he’d played a few times before that and never really done anything.

Januzaj is the big one. He was genuinely our best player most matches for a good 2-3 month period in 13/14.

No Love

I told anyone who would listen that Giuseppe Rossi was going to be incredible.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
You have to bear in mind the effects injuries have had on Wilson. Claiming you didn’t think he was good now means nothing because he’s become nothing like the player he was. He was blistering fast before and is now barely average pace. Take away any fast players pace and they’ll also drop down the leagues.

Similarly, can’t be too harsh on misjudging Powell as he simply doesn’t really care. He’s been impressive in the Championship and Europa League while not being bothered. If he had the dedication he may well be a good PL player. He’s happy just to enjoy himself and get by though.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Even Bobby Charlton i recall was singing the praises of Adnan. I think Adnan lacked the drive. He could not push himself in training and on the pitch.

KeanoMagicHat

I though Wilson was gonna be great too... But I was most into David Healy, thought he was going to be feckin amazing.

Remember when he came off the bench, I think for his debut and hit the post with a great effort against... I want to say Leeds?
He did have a nice career in the end, scored a hat-trick against Spain to win, scored the winner against England, even some top players have never had moments quite like that.

Mickson

Wilson just never did anything in the first team though when he got a chance. I remember one goal against Cambridge that was decent but he’d played a few times before that and never really done anything.

Januzaj is the big one. He was genuinely our best player most matches for a good 2-3 month period in 13/14.
He scored two on his Premier League debut? I saw the game live (and also a U21 game away to Liverpool a couple of days earlier, where he also scored I think) live. I was convinced he would make it. Such a classy finisher, had this international pace where he always could get away from a defender and then finish it off. Aguero-like. But with more and more games for the first team, more aand more he fell off. He just faded. Looked uninterested. I also thought Januzaj would make it but it seems to be more mentality there, which of course is so difficult for us to say. Januzaj has a very good career.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He scored two on his Premier League debut? I saw the game live (and also a U21 game away to Liverpool a couple of days earlier, where he also scored I think) live. I was convinced he would make it. Such a classy finisher, had this international pace where he always could get away from a defender and then finish it off. Aguero-like. But with more and more games for the first team, more aand more he fell off. He just faded. Looked uninterested. I also thought Januzaj would make it but it seems to be more mentality there, which of course is so difficult for us to say. Januzaj has a very good career.
Sorry yeah completely forgot about that. I’m thinking more the chances he got in 14/15. Even then he never did badly. He just seemed to disappear.

Mindhunter

This.

How could be be that good in 2013 and then not make it?
I think it is a bit of both i.e., good performances and then massive overrating by the fans here. I remember myself being firmly on the Januzaj train myself. There was little to be hopeful about that year with Moyes and he provided a bright spark in an otherwise highly disappointing year where we lost a GOAT manager, dropped our level from being world beaters to being pedestrian again relegation fodder, and the constant leaks from the dressing room didn't help matters.

I think it was the Sunderland game when he came on, scored a couple goals, and turned the game on its head. The hysteria was off the charts at that point and most of his performances were overrated beyond that point. Also the lad believed his own hype, went after the money - remember his agent boasting about his wages (seriously, which sane footballer does that) - and then it was all downhill from there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Januzaj faded very quickly, after the first games he was in my opinion way below average. Wilson is a disappointment though, he looked like he would at least be a sort of Defoe.

manuchamp88

In the last decade or so, I don't think there's been many who looked like that had huge potential to make it into the first team. Wilson and Powell looked pretty average whenever they got a chance. But if the following had worked hard, stayed free of injury (and stuck around) we would've won a few more trophies with such a great squad: Piqué, Pogba, Rossi, and Morrison. That's about it.

RUCK4444

I never felt remotely excited by either of Powell or Wilson.

For a moment I thought we’d uncovered a class player in Januzaj though.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think i recall with Powell, Chelsea were after him as well, which made it seem like he was really good.

He came across as lazy though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I never saw it in Powell. His highlight reel before we signed him was just a few nice goals. A solid striker of the ball but not much else, kind of like Gibson.

I thought Macheda would have a better career than he did.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Powell was a first team player signed for £4m, not sure he belongs in this conversation really.

led_scholes

What about Machedaaaaa?
Eventually, Bebe had the better career of all (bar Januzaj).

United58

I never understood the hype for Powell but Januzaj and Wilson (especially Januzaj) I thought would be 1st team regulars.
Januzaj looked such a sure bet...
Coaches say he and Macheda didn't have the dedication to make it at the very top (there's a really interesting interview with Macheda where he looks back on things with newfound maturity - this isn't the exact one, but it's nonetheless interesting to hear these types of players look back on their teens https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/es...ls-his-story-from-manchester-united-to-novara

rizx

It feels like yesterday when Josh Harrop scored a nice goal on his debut when Jose "let the kids play" in the last match of season 2016/2017 against Crystal Palace. Was pretty hyped for the boy, but he kinda disappeared like many others

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Well years back I remember reading people being very excited players about Josh King. He didn't make at United but I guess he's had an otherwise excellent career as a Premier League footballer all things being.

On the other hand there is Larnell Cole, who surprising as it may sound, some here were quite positive about. Now I was just about to say that the latest stage of his career has seen him suffer the ignominy of being released by Tranmere Rovers. However, I then saw he had joined FC United in February and thought that this it in its own way was rather uplifting.

Also there was some Scandinavian bloke whose name now escapes me.

Best of all of course there was Oliver Norwood, perennial favourite of classic former poster, Scholesy.

AshRK

This.

How could be be that good in 2013 and then not make it?
May be harsh but van gaal played a huge role in his downfall. I remember him scoring in our 1-0 win against Villa and then van gaal criticized him immediately after the match and loaned him out.

gormless

As someone who watched the occasional Rossi game after he left us, and still remembers him being the best player on the pitch for us in a few FA cup games, I think he was incredible (I was probably just lucky in the games I saw).

From what I’ve read he was extremely talented and destroyed by injuries

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
It’s been one for every generation I can remember. Darren Fletcher, Kieran Richardson, Chris Eagles, Frazier Campbell, Danny Simpson, Macheda, Tom Cleverly, Danny Welbeck, Adnan Januzaj, James Wilson...
And now McTominay, Rashford and Greenwood. Getting harder to get exited for each one that fails.

United58

It’s been one for every generation I can remember. Darren Fletcher, Kieran Richardson, Chris Eagles, Frazier Campbell, Danny Simpson, Macheda, Tom Cleverly, Danny Welbeck, Adnan Januzaj, James Wilson...
And now McTominay, Rashford and Greenwood. Getting harder to get exited for each one that fails.
Fletcher was brilliant before his illness, in the late 00s he regularly bossed the midfield. Fantastic player.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Well he had an excellent career in Spain and could have reached the next level had it not been for all the injuries.

Next to none impact at United but he had a good career.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Healy was amazing! Northern Ireland legend!

cj_sparky

Remember thinking Robbie Brady would get a shot in our first team, was fantastic at one of the NI Milk Cup's. Although he has played a fair amount in the Premier League.

Pearson and Rothwell, really enjoyed watching both of them. Remember the pair of them in a England Victory Shield team that included Luke Shaw. Especially surprised Pearson hasn't at least had a shot with a Premier League team.

Remember thinking Febian Brandy, could be a player in the Defoe mould. Although sure he broke a leg early on in his United time and never really returned the same.

Davide Petrucci's range of passing was a joy at times, genuinely think he had all the ability to make it at the top. Again always struggled through injury.