I really thought James Wilson and Nick Powell would make it at a high level

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Pearson and Rothwell, really enjoyed watching both of them. Remember the pair of them in a England Victory Shield team that included Luke Shaw. Especially surprised Pearson hasn't at least had a shot with a Premier League team.
How is Pearson doing now, doing great?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've always wondered how Januzaj, Zaha and Powell would've done here had Sir Alex continued.

Sir Alex promoted Adnan to the bench in his last game so, like under Moyes, Fergie probably would've used him a fair bit himself, and Zaha and Powell were two of his last signings who never got a look in under Moyes and van Gaal.

Sid234

I think Matty James was a very good talent, terrible luck with injuries.. Him, Josh King and Magnus Eikrem were players I imagined would make it to the 1st team. Maybe even Sam Johnstone

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Ro'shaun Williams was probably the one I tried bigging up to my mates the most and he amounted to absolutely nothing so far, granted a lot of that was due to injuries, but I expected him to be pushing the first team

SecondFig

I though Wilson was gonna be great too... But I was most into David Healy, thought he was going to be feckin amazing.

Remember when he came off the bench, I think for his debut and hit the post with a great effort against... I want to say Leeds?
God, there's a blast from the past! I remember him having fantastic stats in the youth team, but he just never really managed those kind of numbers in club football (bloody great for NI though)

Ibi Dreams

What's weird is that I actually thought Paddy McNair and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson were quite decent players for us. Obviously our managers haven't agreed and both are playing below the Premier League now. CBJ in League 2! I must be shit at judging talent

Charlie Foley

I told anyone who would listen that Giuseppe Rossi was going to be incredible.
Injuries ruined that one. 2 acl injuries at Villarreal and then that cnut did him in when he was at Fiorentina. His career was much better than the likes of Powell or Wilson though, he was really good at Villarreal and had been doing really well at Fiorentina pre injury

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Wilson at 16/18 was right up there with Ravel Morrison and Mads Timm as lads i'd have said at the time if they don't make it at United i'll eat my head!

Wasn't so sure on Powell because of his overall game but had him down as somebody that would smash 7 or 8 screamers from 25+ yards every season(left and right footed) whatever the level he played and just give a Cantona are you really surprised shrug.

Nights

It’s been one for every generation I can remember. Darren Fletcher
Fletcher doesn’t belong on that list. He was a genuinely good player that got completely derailed by his medical condition. I’m surprised he was able to play at all at an elite level with what he had; it’s a very debilitating illness.

Drainy

#0.0001%

They all had potential, in fairness and a lot of others did too. Its extremely hard to play at Premier league level and even harder for United.

So many things can cause a slight drop in performance or motivation.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Watching Tunnicliffe turn out for Luton the other day got me thinking about that 2011 Youth cup winning team. So many of that team were so highly rated. Ravel, Pogba, Will Keane, Thorpe and Tunnicliffe were all considered nailed on to have careers at the very highest level. I remember the talk around that time used to be we have a ready made home grown midfield in Pogba, Tunni and Ravel. I remember Tunnicliffe was very highly rated by SAF, being the highest paid youth team player or something like that. Sad to think only Lingard, Micheal Keane and Pogba really made it from that team. I often wonder how Will Keane would have turned out had it not been for those injuries.

Edit- Well I suppose gotta add Johnstone too amongst the ones who made it at a decent level.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Shit, had completely forgot about those two. Goes to show how many youngsters who get into the first team and are predicted to have a bright future only to fade away to obscurity.

Zaha is an exception though, hes a bloody good player and us letting him go to Palace for peanuts was some shite business by us

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
Youve got to separate these into categories. Many of these players were seen as having the potential to be solid squad players, very few were seen as being big time first team regulars. That said....

Fletcher was brilliant before his ulcerative colitis, so doesn’t deserve to be on your list.

Richardson, Eagles, Campbell and Simpson were seen as good players with potential to be squad players, but I don’t think there was any hype about them being the next big thing.

Januzaj was hyped to the heavens but not just our fans but also the media, and will go down as a major disappointment. That was a mentality rather than talent issue.

Cleverly was one of those players who was seen as being good, not great, but was being schooled in the dojo of SAF, so anything was possible. He spent most of his career here taking shit from fans, aside from a few heady days when he was involved in that goal against City in the Community shield and the 8-2 thumping of Arsenal.

Welbeck had this unique mixture of flair and work rate. After we played Madrid back in 2012/13, the Spanish media went nuts over him. It was widely seen that all he needed to add was more end product because when he was on, he had it all, but he was still very inconsistent. If SAF had stayed, I believe he would’ve had a great career here. He’s gone on to have a good career, albeit one destroyed by injuries.

Wilson looked electric in the academy and banged in two on his debut. But his mentality and loss of pace killed his career. I think many had high hopes for him but they were internal to the club. He wasn’t recognised as a big talent outside our fan base.

Macheda is a cult icon for that goal against Villa. And he had all the tools, bar pace, to be a top clinical striker. Another cautionary tale of work ethic being as, or more, important as talent.

McTominay has been the target of fan ire for ages, with most believing he’s not good enough. I’d say he’s made it despite expectations rather than failing to live up to them. Think he’ll be a solid squad player for us for several years. Which is a great achievement in its own right.

Greenwood is a massive talent is widely recognised across the country as such. If he doesn’t make it you can file that along with Ravel and Januzaj for the scale of disappointment. He’s already down more for the first team than any of the players mentioned here bar Fletcher, who shouldn’t be included.

Rashford has already put up massive numbers for a player his age. That’s obvious just by comparing him to players like Kane and Ronaldo at his age. If he doesn’t goon to be a huge player for us moving forwards it’ll be a disappointment. He is currently suffering from that capital crime as a young United player, of not being world class every game. He gets so much criticism from people expecting him to be the finished article already despite having gone through 3 managers already, being very young, moving across positions, and suffering a serious back injury. My hopes are high for him.

Rossi would’ve had a superb career if he wasn’t made of glass.

Of our current players coming through, Mejbri is probably the obvious candidate for the next hype train.
No arguments on your writeup, it was just my own exitment and expectations, based on watching them in senior matches. And I’m happy with some of them, especially Fletcher who was one of my favourites. It’s just the return after expecting bigger things from most of them has left a bit more pessimisim regarding future prospects. It would be wrong to leave the good ones out to prove a point. Can’t be tinkering the evidence.
Could also include Jonny Evans to the list who I loved as a player up until the point when he started with those horrible backpasses.

Fletcher doesn’t belong on that list. He was a genuinely good player that got completely derailed by his medical condition. I’m surprised he was able to play at all at an elite level with what he had; it’s a very debilitating illness.
He was amazing. It’s just the total pool of players I expected things from. He stands out as one who delivered, so there is still hope.

Reactions: Invictus

Skills

Snitch
Wilson could've made it. But luck and timing didn't work out for him.

People underestimate the amount luck and timing plays into it.

Wittmann45

I honestly thought Rodrigo Possebon was gonna be a world class midfielder.
Yep, he was the one for me too, based entirely on 60 minutes of League Cup football!

He was so good against Middlesbrough that I thought he was going to be a star. I am pretty sure he later said in an interview that he has never stopped feeling pain in his knee after the Pogatetz tackle, so that even though he returned to training pretty quickly after, he never really recovered

the chameleon

There have been so many over the years. I was excited the most about Will Keane. I remember him in a youth game against Chelsea scoring a hatrick and completely outshining Lukaku. Even for England youth, he was bossing it. Then he got that injury for England youth summer 2011. Never quite recovered his confidence. Without injuries, I'm certain he would have had a much better career.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I never rate them and don’t understand hype around then at all, if there is any. They are average at best.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I remember being convinced Erik Nevland was going to be the next big thing, and be a first teamer banging in goals week in and week out................... Whoops!

SteveW

Wilson just never did anything in the first team though when he got a chance. I remember one goal against Cambridge that was decent but he’d played a few times before that and never really done anything.

Januzaj is the big one. He was genuinely our best player most matches for a good 2-3 month period in 13/14.
Scored twice on his debut didn't he?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What's weird is that I actually thought Paddy McNair and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson were quite decent players for us. Obviously our managers haven't agreed and both are playing below the Premier League now. CBJ in League 2! I must be shit at judging talent
McNair is a good player and doing very well for his club and country.

SplitzMagic

To think PSG wanted Januzaj for £40M and not long after Giggs was recommending Mbappe to us.

Unsure whether Mbappe would have become the Mbappe he is today if he came to us as a youth player but one can only wonder.

Rashford Martial Mbappe.

MPTutd

I had MUTV for years and watched loads of the youth games.

The stand out players for me over those years were Mads Timm, Ravel Morrison, Will Keane an James Wilson.

Timm just had this ability to glide past players. Made his debut in a meaningless European tie in Greece I think and i was hooked. But he just did not have the drive to be a footballer.

Ravel was the best youth player i have seen. I did not really see the Class of 92 (no MUTV back then!). Ravel was just insane. His movement, balance and ability to control a game at 16 were crazy. The rest is history!

Will Keane looked great in the youth teams. Great scoring record, but then got a bad knee injury that at the point of breaking through. When he came back he had lost a yard of pace (not that he had great pace) and was never the same again.

James Wilson has been talked about above. Was brilliant in the youth team. Great goalscoring and got two goals on his first team debut. However, reality was he scored certain types of goals - generally using his great pace to run beyond defences. Just never worked out for his with his loans. Rest is history.

Eplel

Never watched Wilson, but for Powell i think it's obvious this type of player is benefited by playing constantly and given a chance to lead on a weaker side, rather than being a prospect on a big club.

He would peak at around 26-27 years old if he followed that path, and he would become a player similar to Scott Parker, Michael Carrick, Gareth Barry, I estimate.

Geelong Devil

I remember Marcus Neumayr being talked about as Beckham’s replacement on the right wing. Could hit a decent free kick too from memory.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Januzaj is the only player that I'd put some serious money on in the past. Remember watching him in the youth team even before he had that purple patch under Moyes. I was impressed with his decision making, weight of the pass, and how he saw options around him. Natural dribbler too. He wasn't fast in the long run but he had great first few steps, could easily make space for himself to put in a cross or a shot. His right foot was his biggest weakness, but overall I thought at the very least he'll be a regular player in our attack.

Don't know what happened to him, his form dropped but I think under different circumstances, he could turn into some player.

Morisson, Wilson, Keane and Possebon were second tier for me, good potential but small chance of making it.

Powell, Macheda and even Depay I never rated highly.

oskarutd

David Jones being sold was hard to take. I found it rediculus. He had so much talent.
After a while it tought me that the coaching staff see things that we cannot see that follow the games and they are professionals, we are not.

They were right and I not. I thought he would be a superstar.

adnando

In the Peter Crouch pod, Ben Foster talks about being discovered by a scout while playing in some random lower league game.
The scout's car broke down close to the stadium, a match he didn't intend to watch. He keeps talking about the luck most players won't have, it's a great conversation.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

He had chances in our first team and didn't do much with them. I have a feeling it was injury proneness combined with a poor attitude that stopped Wilson, so not really just luck and certainly not timing.

Canadianred17

I was a big fan of Lee Martin, Danny Drinkwater, and also Rodrigo Possebon. An unfortunate injury he had.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It's easy and understandable to get excited by young players.

But as we know, playing against kids your own age isn't really a great benchmark so it's important to enjoy watching them without too many unrealistic expectations.

In my experience the following is true:

1. In the last 40 years I have only seen 4-5 certs to make it to the first team - Whiteside, Giggs, Butt, Brown, Fletcher.
2. There have been another 4-5 who have been really close but needed to handle some aspect of their situation like Doherty and Thornley (injury), Scholes (size/asthma), Pique (physicality), Morrison (outside influence), Pogba (consistency/application), Januzaj and O'Kane (attitude), Greenwood (physicality). You hope and think that will overcome these issues....some do and some don't.
3. Then there are a handful where it's clear that they are close but the timing is wrong like Platt, Walsh, Rossi,
4. Then there is a large % where you just don't know. Duxbury, Hughes, Beckham, Neville and others went on to fabulous careers...but as youth players you were never sure. It could be a hit or a miss.
5. Then there are a few that just really surprise you and you think...they were really average as youth players...but mature brilliantly like Martin, O'Shea, M. Keane, Cleverley, McTominay...
6. Then there is another % where you look and go..."I have no idea what the club sees in them because I don't get it...". And you're right. They fade out of the game.

The point is, with over 500 players coming through the system in the last 40-50 years there were really only 15-20 in all that time that were really obviously going to make it. With most of them, as soon as it becomes obvious, they are in the first team immediately and tend to stay there. Everyone else is a maybe.

Personally, I always thought Tom Thorpe had a great chance as a fullback rather than centre-half...but it didn't work out that way.

So enjoy watching them develop...we are pretty good at it.

Sea-Cow

I haven't read all the comments yet, but I thought Powell was going to be brilliant. I remember a highlight vid of his time in League 1 as an 18 year old (I think that is all correct) and he was incredible! His goal in the playoff where he flicks it up to himself and then smashed in a volley?!

I thought Fergie found a gem.

sparx99

Wilson just never did anything in the first team though when he got a chance. I remember one goal against Cambridge that was decent but he’d played a few times before that and never really done anything.

Januzaj is the big one. He was genuinely our best player most matches for a good 2-3 month period in 13/14.
He scored two goals on his PL debut, didn't he?

90 + 5min

Looking at history I remember some young players (not mentioned here yet) that I thought would be good players in our shirt. Jonathan Spector, Sylvian Ebanks Blake, Danny Webber, Michael Stewart. There are lot of others where the path to greatness took wrong turn and they ended up somewhere else.

Cloud7

Of the defenders that had cameos under Vangle, Mcnair was the only one that ever really looked decent. Blackett was a disaster, CBJ never showed much and I was quite surprised at the big fuss when Spurs tried to get him in. And then there was that other guy he brought on against Arsenal....Donald Love or something like that? Whatever became of him?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Most of the time it's either injury (Wilson, Rossi, Thornley) or attitude (Januzaj, Djordic, Ravel). These are two things no manager can predict.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What's weird is that I actually thought Paddy McNair
How did you come out with that? Paddy was a train wreck in almost every game he played. He made Jones look like Baresi which does says something. I've never seen such a Shit CB wearing the red shirt since Prunier.