g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

I see the 'ABU' Media are back in full voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pass.pass.pass

Why do hacks like Wilson still hate United? We haven't won anything of note for almost a decade. Did Fergie piss Wilson off years ago?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Why do hacks like Wilson still hate United? We haven't won anything of note for almost a decade. Did Fergie piss Wilson off years ago?
He’s not that sort of journalist really. Calling him a hack is inaccurate. He’s a highly regarded writer and editor. He’s just disillusioned with the financial disparity in the modern game and sees United as indicative of a club who just throw large amount of money at any problem to solve it.

pass.pass.pass

He’s not that sort of journalist really. Calling him a hack is inaccurate. He’s a highly regarded writer and editor. He’s just disillusioned with the financial disparity in the modern game and sees United as indicative of a club who just throw large amount of money at any problem to solve it.
How is it that he was calling a potential Ronaldo to City move great but changed his tune when it was United who bought the player?

Olecurls99

The point is to get clicks. I reckon Wilson and the like don't really care one way or the other. Their job is to attract attention and that's what they're doing. I wouldn't give him the time of day.... apart from right now

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
How is it that he was calling a potential Ronaldo to City move great but changed his tune when it was United who bought the player?
Yeah, it was a shit article. I'm not defending that. I think his disdain for United is more about how we operate in a manner of excess. Tying that into the signing of Ronaldo and what he can offer is not particularly coherent.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
So not worth listening to football weekly then? I generally skip the bits when he’s on anyway because he’s so far up his own arse it’s unreal.

Withnail

He also doesn't rate Ole at all and from the way he talks about him I'd say he wouldn't give any credit if he won the league.

He was on Irish radio toward the end of last year and the presenter was giving it the come on you have to give him a bit of credit for coming second blah blah blah and he said something like 'you'd think so but no...'

It was almost like he knew he was being unfair but carried on regardless.

RORY65

Yeah, it was a shit article. I'm not defending that. I think his disdain for United is more about how we operate in a manner of excess. Tying that into the signing of Ronaldo and what he can offer is not particularly coherent.
I think this is right, he's not inherently anti-United (he wrote a book only a few years ago about ten of the club's most important games) but he clearly isn't in favour of the transfer and also happens not to rate Solskjaer. He was also critical of PSG signing Messi on Second Captains a few weeks back, I guess it makes sense that a journalist whose main selling point is tactics wouldn't be on board with clubs making previously unplanned, opportunistic big signings largely based on commercial interests and with no real strategy of how they fit in other than "feck it, they're so good we'll find a way".

Fridge chutney

Then why does he not share the same disdain for the biggest spenders in the history of English sport, a club whose success is entirely founded on excess?

"Pep Guardiola has mixed possession and pressing to start new Manchester City era"

"Manchester City’s magisterial win a triumph of composure and philosophy"

Etc.

And he compared United's derby defeat of City with City losing to Norwich and Wolves, denigrating Ole in the process (which he did all season).

He's a biased clown who will not give credit where it is due and will tailor narrative to suit his agenda.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Then why does he not share the same disdain for the biggest spenders in the history of English sport, a club whose success is entirely founded on excess?

"Pep Guardiola has mixed possession and pressing to start new Manchester City era"

"Manchester City’s magisterial win a triumph of composure and philosophy"

Etc.

And he compared United's derby defeat of City with City losing to Norwich and Wolves, denigrating Ole in the process (which he did all season).

He's a biased clown who will not give credit where it is due and will tailor narrative to suit his agenda.
Because City are a brilliant football team on the pitch? It's one thing to spend a lot and be successful. It's another thing to spend another and be unable to win anything - and only even get to one cup final.

Fridge chutney

Because City are a brilliant football team on the pitch? It's one thing to spend a lot and be successful. It's another thing to spend another and be unable to win anything - and only even get to one cup final.
Nah, i don't buy it. If Wilson was disillusioned with football excess then he wouldn't be a City mouthpiece. Regardless, hopefully Wilson will be put to the test as United win the treble this year :D

The Hilton

Because City, the club he was praising going after Ronnie, are known for their restraint and fair play around money.

Sweet Square

Wilson isn't a hack but simply someone who works for the Guardian

The opinions pieces in that newspaper are built on saying one thing one week and then saying the compete opposite a few months later and then everyone else pointing this out and laughing at them. They've turned getting owned online into way of getting clicks online.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

The opinions pieces in that newspaper are built on saying one thing one week and then saying the compete opposite a few months later and then everyone else pointing this out and laughing at them. They've turned getting owned online into way of getting clicks online.
This is what online media is. Just look at how Talksport uses Manchester United. We are the most followed team so they talk about us in the most extreme ways.

Clicks are easily monetised. You show the advertisers how many engagements you get, how many click throughs, demonstrates your reach. Then you get people advertising and you can bump up your fees. Its a win-win.

All you need are writers and presenters willing to play the clown or so up themselves that they don't realise how clownish they look.

Punditry is, generally speaking, not about informing people its about enraging people: Get enough people to hate click your piece to leave angry comments, get paid.

Withnail

To be fair, a commentary on why a certain demographic isn't wearing masks and then stating that those not wearing masks shouldn't be shamed isn't exactly performing a u-turn, unless she was actually shaming the men in the first article.

The Midnight Rambler

It's not single article that's being referenced here, the consistent negative articles, how the tone was changed once Ronaldo was signed and the 180 degree change in opinion on Ronaldo once he was ManUtd player.

You can always build a positive or negative narrative on any player, for example you can build positive narrative on Lukaku saying he won Serie A or negative narrative saying how shit he was in CL for Inter that they didn't even qualify from group stage.

Here is the Wilson's article on June 27th, building positive narrative around Ronaldo. Highlighting Ronaldo is not just a goal scorer, he was also involved more in the build up play and his lack of assists was due to not having productive partner.

Wilson's article, Aug 28th once Ronaldo's move was confirmed. Complete 180 degree change from praising him for being a Serie A top scorer to blaming him for Juventus not winning the title.

He blamed Ronaldo, in the article he said "Ronaldo made Juventus a worse football team". That's as straightforward as it gets.

To clear any ambiguity, it seems obvious to me that he's blaming for Juve for compromising spend & development in other areas of the team to accomodate the 33-36 year old version of Ronny that can only operate around the box and won't/can't help with the press in any sustained manner.

There is no debate here. Largely due to the impact of signing Ronny, they did get worse. It wasn't Ronny's personal fault, he tried his best and did what he could but the team was damaged. They then poured petrol on the fire with Pirlo.

He made a big claim about United being worse now than on Friday morning and time will prove this right or wrong but there is a logic behind this which is clear for anyone who has watched Ronny closely for the last few years.

At club level, he's needed people around him to effectively do his defensive work and help make space for him to apply the execution. So for us, that likely means a switch to a 2 man focal point or pushing the wide forwards right up near him in a 3 man system.... which then leaves our midfield (by most consensus the weakest part of our team) further exposed.

Can it be overcome? Well yes it can as Liverpool did with a very workmanlike midfield but do we have the same make-up in our midfielders? Not for my money unless we go with a very sexy McTom Fred Uncle Matic system and 2 from Sancho/Rashford/Cavani/Greenwood/Bruno/Pogba to support Ronny and does anybody see that happening?

I'd love Wilson to be wrong and for Ole/Ronny and the team to figure out a way but circling back to my original point... even though Ronny is one of my all time fav players, I think it's bizarre to get so offended by a valid criticism.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

You would assume his hatred would be directed at City and PSG then?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
To clear any ambiguity, it seems obvious to me that he's blaming for Juve for compromising spend & development in other areas of the team to accomodate the 33-36 year old version of Ronny that can only operate around the box and won't/can't help with the press in any sustained manner.

There is no debate here. Largely due to the impact of signing Ronny, they did get worse. It wasn't Ronny's personal fault, he tried his best and did what he could but the team was damaged. They then poured petrol on the fire with Pirlo.

He made a big claim about United being worse now than on Friday morning and time will prove this right or wrong but there is a logic behind this which is clear for anyone who has watched Ronny closely for the last few years.

At club level, he's needed people around him to effectively do his defensive work and help make space for him to apply the execution. So for us, that likely means a switch to a 2 man focal point or pushing the wide forwards right up near him in a 3 man system.... which then leaves our midfield (by most consensus the weakest part of our team) further exposed.

Can it be overcome? Well yes it can as Liverpool did with a very workmanlike midfield but do we have the same make-up in our midfielders? Not for my money unless we go with a very sexy McTom Fred Uncle Matic system and 2 from Sancho/Rashford/Cavani/Greenwood/Bruno/Pogba to support Ronny and does anybody see that happening?

I'd love Wilson to be wrong and for Ole/Ronny and the team to figure out a way but to circling back to my original point... even though Ronny is one of my all time fav players, I think it's bizarre to get so offended by a valid criticism.
Its about how he changed his opinion 180 degree, before we signed him it was all praises. Once we signed him, Ronaldo was the root cause of all problems.

When he wrote his first article, Ronaldo was still poor at defensive work. Didn't stop him showering praises on Ronaldo for being top scorer in the league.

Offsideagain

In tonight’s MEN, there a guy called Dominic Farrell writing that Citeh dictate United transfer policy by leaking they are after a player and forcing United to buy them. Ronaldo being the latest trick they pulled. This is despite reports that personal terms have been agreed by City and Ronny (which is BS). They are still hurting for missing out on Maguire who allegedly ‘chose’ United. They did swerve Sanchez though which will live as the biggest cock up in transfer history. They , the ABU’s, can’t wait for Ronaldo to have a bad game and then slaughter him and United.

Crustanoid

Wondering how much City/PSG/Chelsea owners pay the media to slate us constantly and constantly fawn over those three clubs whilst also brushing over all the financial doping and sports washing

croadyman

Wondering how much City/PSG/Chelsea owners pay the media to slate us constantly and constantly fawn over those three clubs whilst also brushing over all the financial doping and sports washing
Oh yeah money has definitely changed hands in regards to those clubs policies never being openly criticised by the media

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

:lol:
Just seen that. One of the journos pointed out to her her that we’ve had a youth team player in our match day squad for 83 years and counting. I mean she should really, really think before opening her mouth.

Paxi

feck the ABU media. I hope they give Ronaldo immeasurable hate, along with all the opposition fans. It’ll just motivate him to no end.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's all clicks and "hot takes" these days.

Some bollocks article that gets people heated is going to get more engagement than a reasonable piece and news sites/journalists live and die by engagement these day.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ally Rudd-yface for utter horsehte like that.

Don't buy Ronaldo lads, James is "improving" for the next 12 years apparently.
Also good chance Ronaldo will score more goals in 2 years than James in next 12.

devilo

So, after Merson and now Trevor Sinclair, I'm sure Chris Sutton and other members of the ABU collective will be along soon.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Some City fan in the comments saying Ruud predicted City to finish outside the top four in Pep's second season. :lol:

ColvaleGoa

Just wait till our first loss. ...

CAF will explode along with Everyone of the media spontaneously combusting with joy

Paxi

I always remember listening to Rudd one wekeend on Sunday Supplement and the journo’s were asked who the best player they’d seen play live was. Her answer?

Jari Litmanen
Have you got a video for that. I remember that too. Truly bizarre. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.