I was wrong about Casemiro

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Reminds me of Carrick. I initially though Eriksson would fill that gap but Carrick was really underrated when it came to cutting off passing lanes. Casemiro takes it a step further and really commands the midfield. Top top player and will leave one of our best midfielders ever given the time he had left in his career (which is still some way to go tbh)
To be honest, Carrick was class but he isn't a patch on Casemiro. Casemiro is up there with Keane as the best holding midfielder we've ever had pretty much (modern era of football)

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I hold my hands up and admit it.

I initially thought Casemiro was a glamour signing to appease the fans after the Arnautovic and Rabiot debacle earlier in the summer transfer window, a player on a steady decline. How wrong I was!

He is literally the CEMENT in our midfield which holds it all together and has given us something we have really lacked in that department for years. Credit to Ten Hag who must have encouraged the club to jump on this opportunity when it presented itself.
Have to admit I was in the same camp, first few games he didnt get much minutes on the pitch, then when he got a few sub appearances he kept losing the ball, so happy to be proven wrong.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Honestly with him and Eriksen in midfield I get Keane and Scholes vibes.

Casemiro is easily the best CM we've had since Fergie left. Absolutely world class and calling him a DM is a disservice as his all round game is fantastic
Doesn't have a lot of competition though does he :lol:

ROFLUTION

To be honest, Carrick was class but he isn't a patch on Casemiro. Casemiro is up there with Keane as the best holding midfielder we've ever had pretty much (modern era of football)
lets not get ahead of ourselves. Carrick was fantastic and for many years. Casemiro still only has about 4 months of football for us. Amazing player however

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Could’ve just put this in the Casemiro thread.

TR1LL

I agree, he is levels above Carrick but from a stylistic point of view (first time, well hit passes , etc )they are similar.

Red Rash

lets not get ahead of ourselves. Carrick was fantastic and for many years. Casemiro still only has about 4 months of football for us. Amazing player however
In terms of quality Casemiro is way better than Carrick and I loved Carrick as a player. Only four months at United but he has been at the top for several years at Real Madrid. Casemiro is just a different level, no slight on Carrick at all though

ROFLUTION

In terms of quality Casemiro is way better than Carrick and I loved Carrick as a player. Only four months at United but he has been at the top for several years at Real Madrid. Casemiro is just a different level, no slight on Carrick at all though
Four months is not much, so thats why im reserving judgement for Casemiro as a United player. You could also find a stint of four good months with Carrick on this level.

Dion

You don't judge a 30 year old signed for massive money on a 4 year contract on his first 6 months.

The problem with the Casemiro signing is the risk that his level is going to drop, not his ability currently. He's 31 in two months and he still plays in an all action style which relies on his physicality as you saw by his assist, it doesn't take losing too much pace for that challenge he makes to be a foul or for him to miss entirely and be caught on the counter.

If he plays like this for 4 years it's not a problem, but what if this time next year he starts to see the same decline someone like Matic did while he was here? 18 months of even world class performances followed by 2 and a half years of being unreliable for £60m and £350k a week would be a problem.

TsuWave

Reminds me of Carrick. I initially though Eriksson would fill that gap but Carrick was really underrated when it came to cutting off passing lanes. Casemiro takes it a step further and really commands the midfield. Top top player and will leave one of our best midfielders ever given the time he had left in his career (which is still some way to go tbh)
Carrick was nowhere near this. Carrick was great at dictating tempo and controlling games. Casemiro is an absolute animal

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
I hold my hands up and admit it.

I initially thought Casemiro was a glamour signing to appease the fans after the Arnautovic and Rabiot debacle earlier in the summer transfer window, a player on a steady decline. How wrong I was!

He is literally the CEMENT in our midfield which holds it all together and has given us something we have really lacked in that department for years. Credit to Ten Hag who must have encouraged the club to jump on this opportunity when it presented itself.
I will sleep a lot easier tonight after reading this.

CallyRed

I've got a similar thread on Scott McTominay ready in draft. Any day now.

Nights

Some pearlers from posters like Yagami/Bondi77 about Casemiro in his thread. Something about retirement homes and pay checks.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I was dead right about Casemiro and Im happy to collect my credit cheque

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
To be fair, his first few games in England were a bit of a worry.
He looked a little off the pace and made some glaring errors.
Since then though he’s been one of our best players and has shown his world class form! I’m ecstatic to have him and to finally have a Central Mid that our team has been desperately needing for 10+ years!

UDontMessWith24

Tbf this is the type of transfer that has ended up in disaster before ETH came on board so your skepticism was far from being unfounded

Greck

If we had to be upfront about everything we were wrong about this site would crash everyday.

SirAF

Ageist
Honestly don't understand what the feck some people were thinking. It's fecking Casemiro. Look at what he's won at Real Madrid, and he's literally a player that changed their fortunes and balance the second he went into their team. He transformed them and gave them balance when before they didn't have it.

And to add to it - it was a star signing in the 1 position that we've neglected for years. Ronaldo was a big name glamour signing where it if ored every single gaping hole in our team, hoping he's good enough to overcome that. This was literally addressing our biggest problem with arguably the best player in the world in that position, along with Rodri. It was a no brainer.
This.

BuzzKillington

You don't judge a 30 year old signed for massive money on a 4 year contract on his first 6 months.

The problem with the Casemiro signing is the risk that his level is going to drop, not his ability currently. He's 31 in two months and he still plays in an all action style which relies on his physicality as you saw by his assist, it doesn't take losing too much pace for that challenge he makes to be a foul or for him to miss entirely and be caught on the counter.

If he plays like this for 4 years it's not a problem, but what if this time next year he starts to see the same decline someone like Matic did while he was here? 18 months of even world class performances followed by 2 and a half years of being unreliable for £60m and £350k a week would be a problem.
Should we swap usernames?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think his game relies on physicality as much as some are making out. And if he can stay injury free for the next two seasons he will have more than justified the money spent on him. His passing and positioning in a deeper role is very good and that should allow ten Hag to hopefully plan the next two seasons around Casemiro as the deepest midfielder.

And hopefully with a new ownership group, that should allow the recruitment team to cast their net far and wide and have a capable backup for Casemiro and a deep roaming playmaker in the squad. So in that scenario it would allow ten Hag to rest Casemiro a little bit more than what we're seeing now.

TheReligion

Abusive

In fairness you take this risk with every signing to varying degrees.

The issue here was some posters were literally saying he was past it, didn’t really want to be at the club, couldn’t pass the ball, would struggle with the PL and essentially was a poor knee jerk signing.

Bwuk

He starts in every team in world football. Only player we’ve got that we can say that about.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Thanks for letting us know. I can sleep peacefully tonight.
I heard Casemiro reads RedCafe three times a day, and has been giving his best to prove @Compton22 wrong. Now when he reads that goal has been accomplished, I worry Casemiro's motivation will be gone and his performance may drop :rolleyes: