ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I think it is just a coincidence because the better team has been batting second in most of these finals.
i think most teams have chased totals that would have previously been considered unreachable. if you bowl well and the other team gets 330, every big side feels they can chase that down. 15 years ago it was game over, but now each side knows how to pace the innings and most teams can hit 6s all the way down the order. i don’t see many positives to batting first, unless the pitch or required run rate etc makes it the only option.

Scottynaldinho

i think most teams have chased totals that would have previously been considered unreachable. if you bowl well and the other team gets 330, every big side feels they can chase that down. 15 years ago it was game over, but now each side knows how to pace the innings and most teams can hit 6s all the way down the order. i don’t see many positives to batting first, unless the pitch or required run rate etc makes it the only option.
The main thing is runs on the board and India didn't have enough runs on the board. NZ in 2015 and in 2019 didn't have enough runs on the board. There are exceptionally fine margins in sports. Do you think if Travis Head got out early any other batsmen would be able to replicate this innings?

We saw how batting first helped India in the semi final as it is tough to chase a big score under the lights. NZ couldn't maintain the required run rate even though they tried their best. India got the dream start they were just too timid and completely misread the pitch. They knew there would be dew yet didn't go for 290-300.

The change is in the approach of how team play ODIs these days. Teams go hard in the first 10 overs as opposed to saving for the last 10 overs. Part of the reason is 5 fielders outside the circle in the final 10, bowlers using a lot of variety and bowling just inside the white ball line. That has completely changed the dynamics of ODIs. The very fact that we didn't have a close game in the entire tournament is proof of that.

Nickelodeon

Travis Head has had massive abuse on his social media following the win yesterday - fans saying they want to rape and kill his wife and daughter (she's 1 year old). iirc, Kohli copped the same abuse a year or two ago.

Some Indian fans (not all obviously) are horribly toxic and their accounts should be disabled.
It's a massive problem in India which gets exported to the world in times like these. Usually, this language is reserved for the critics of the ruling party which is why there's no call to action against the social media companies too.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I agree having capable lower order batters help. I feel pandya's injury meant we were not able to play Ashwin. Do I think he would have made a difference? I don't. But in hindsight he would have been better than SKY.

Shardul, I just don't rate that guy. He is just useless. Unreliable batter and mediocre bowler.
Yeah, I don't rate SKY at all. That said, I do think having Pandya and Ashwin would have made a massive difference. The former is quite a good batsmen and would've been very useful down the order. Ashwin would also provide that security for the top order.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The change is in the approach of how team play ODIs these days. Teams go hard in the first 10 overs as opposed to saving for the last 10 overs. Part of the reason is 5 fielders outside the circle in the final 10, bowlers using a lot of variety and bowling just inside the white ball line. That has completely changed the dynamics of ODIs. The very fact that we didn't have a close game in the entire tournament is proof of that.
For me this is the biggest determinant - you win the opening powerplay and 9 times out of 10, you win the game. The funny thing being yesterday's game was an anomaly as they won their power play (they were ~80ish for 1 at 10 overs where the Aussies were 55-3 at 10) however, Rohit going at the time he went was a big turning point, and then the Indian batsmen post that point were left wanting...meaning that even if the Aussies didn't make the most of their powerplay, there were plenty of overs and enough wickets to make it up.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
A bit miffed about how people dismiss half this Australian team like it doesn’t have 3 of the best pace bowlers in world cricket or two of the best batsmen and arguably one of the most destructive openers in modern times.

If you asked a third party who didn’t have a vested interest in the game but understood cricket, they would say it’s a pretty even match.

The only thing that seperate the two teams imo is the pitch and the fans. Which is pretty much why Australia won.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Cringe levels are stratospheric. Poor players - first lose the final then have to experience this.

“The country is watching” summed it up well

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

3 of the losses came in KO games. Add T20, CT and Test Championship KO’s and that’s a remarkably shit record in every format in the past decade. They’re bigger chokers than Saffers at this stage.

Dr. StrangeHate

3 of the losses came in KO games. Add T20, CT and Test Championship KO’s and that’s a remarkably shit record in every format in the past decade. They’re bigger chokers than Saffers at this stage.
Basically if there was league format Cricket, India would always win. Their troubles are in knockout formats. Kind of like Pep's teams in the CL before last year.

But I don't think any other current team would have beaten this India in the final other than Australia.

Last edited:

the_cliff

Unfortunately, like with all sports no one recognises or remembers the 'best team on paper'. Only winners are remembered.
Reminds me of some football fans (Arsenal/Barca) in particular as if because they played 'beautiful' football they had some God given right to win and if they didn't they were still 'winners' in the public eyes. Alas, no. Chelsea and Inter won UCLs those years and we ruled the Wenger/Fergie era, the same applies here.