ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

Trequarista10

Fair play the Aussies were clearly the better side on paper, and outperformed the rest of the field throughout the tournament.

Perhaps the greatest thing about this WC is the length of it, 11 games to acclimatise to the conditions, and in the end quality overcomes home advantage.

Dr. StrangeHate

Spent time in Australia and talked to a lot over the years to get the impression that while cricket may not be the number 1 sport in terms of tribal support compared to the footy codes, it is the one sport where most people of all ages have at least some passing interest. I get the impression that's why the Australian cricket team are held to a higher expectation because the casuals who may not have paid much focus when they won every time in the 90s/2000s were well aware when they were going through a decline.
What is the number 1 sport in Australia?

Dr. StrangeHate

Yep. That's why the group stage performance was always a facade for this team. Never really tested, incompetitive teams. Played Australia in the opener who took time to gear up. Had no answers in the final.
They just came against an experienced Australia who played much better on the day. India had a great tournament and have a good future.

gorky_utd

Got completely outplayed in the final. I don't think we have any chance of winning this trophy anytime soon with all these IPL kids.

AshRK

And again in another 'world cup' in less than a year in t20. Today's loss didn't feel anything like 2003 back when there was a 'world cup' once in every four years.
T20 wc can be a lottery. Winning 50 overs would have meant a lot. Shame didn't happen.

zing

Zingle balls
Those of us in Australia are probably sleeping!

I was concerned with the choice to bowl first, but what would I know?
Congrats!

Just reflecting on the week - Travis head took Klaasen's wicket, hit that 50, then Rohit's catch and the sensational 100. I cannot think of a more complete double performance from memory.

Boycott

What is the number 1 sport in Australia?
Short answer: Aussie Rules football (AFL). In terms of overall viewership. The crowds are huge and it does well on TV.

Long answer: Rugby league (NRL) is more popular than AFL in some states. NRL and AFL clash with each other whereas cricket is universally liked everywhere. Soccer has the highest participation now I believe but it doesn't translate to viewership of the A-League or the national team.

Dr. StrangeHate

Short answer: Aussie Rules football (AFL). In terms of overall viewership. The crowds are huge and it does well on TV.

Long answer: Rugby league (NRL) is more popular than AFL in some states. NRL and AFL clash with each other whereas cricket is universally liked everywhere. Soccer has the highest participation now I believe but it doesn't translate to viewership of the A-League or the national team.
Strange. I always thought it was Cricket all the way.

Does anyone else play AFL?

AneRu

240 was defendable but having got a great start and pinned Aus to 45-3 with Head looking like he could go out to every Shami/Bumrah ball Rohit bottled it by putting on the spinners and releasing the pressure. I would have maintained pace on both ends for at least 4 overs. After that he just let the game drift away by offering easy singles when there wasn't much to defend on the board.

AshRK

240 was defendable but having got a great start and pinned Aus to 45-3 with Head looking like he could go out to every Shami/Bumrah ball Rohit bottled it by putting on the spinners and releasing the pressure. I would have maintained pace on both ends for at least 4 overs. After that he just let the game drift away by offering easy singles when there wasn't much to defend on the board.
Yes, that was a strange move. If shami was tired then should have brought in Siraj. Very passive captaincy today by him.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Having watched nearly all of the world cup wins since 1999, this is the most satisfying. Considering the stage and the conditions (a truly horrible pitch that was doctored to hurt Aussie fast bowlers ( :lol: )), the boys graft it out and come out on top.

Boycott

Strange. I always thought it was Cricket all the way.

Does anyone else play AFL?
The AFL has tried expansion internationally but the game is only professionally played in Australia.

It's similar to Ireland. Internationally people will think of Irish sport legends and just say Roy Keane or Robbie Keane or Paul McGrath - the football (soccer) players. But in Ireland historically depending where you go football/soccer isn't the most popular sport and some of Ireland's favourite sporting legends from Gaelic sports like Gaelic football or Hurling are unknown anywhere else. Football/soccer is popular across the board to be clear, people care about the national football team (like Australians care about the Australian cricket team) but some people prefer going to watch GAA football over soccer and other people prefer hurling. Then there's rugby to throw in the mix. People historically go to watch those in their masses rather than an Irish soccer match.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Absolutely gutted. In the end we kind of played ourselves by messing around with pitches. I actually think we would have had much better chance of winning on a standard ODI pitch where par score is between 320-350. Instead this obsession with preparing slower pitches finally cost us when we ended up getting the pitch when it was most difficult for good stroke play. It happened in previous matches also but we steamrolled the opposition in those matches by exceptional bowling.

Mentally also a lot of players just bottled it today. Jadeja had his worst match with the ball and it had nothing to do with dew. Kinda same with Kuldeep. KL Rahul was completely unsure of how to pace his innings once he dug himself into a hole by failing to rotate the strike.

zing

Zingle balls
Absolutely gutted. In the end we kind of played ourselves by messing around with pitches. I actually think we would have had much better chance of winning on a standard ODI pitch where par score is between 320-350. Instead this obsession with preparing slower pitches finally cost us when we ended up getting the pitch when it was most difficult for good stroke play. It happened in previous matches also but we steamrolled the opposition in those matches by exceptional bowling.

Mentally also a lot of players just bottled it today. Jadeja had his worst match with the ball and it had nothing to do with dew. Kinda same with Kuldeep. KL Rahul was completely unsure of how to pace his innings once he dug himself into a hole by failing to rotate the strike.
I think we should also consider the idea that knockout cricket is a different beast we aren’t good at(as it stands) and World Cup winners are decided on the basis of that. And Australia simply have better mentality for it.

If this Indian team cannot win, I dont think we win a World Cup for at least five more years.

The elaborate group stages are a red herring for what matters the most to win a crunch game. It’s not necessarily the technically best team but the team that prepares better and handles the pressure.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Also i hope that Pat Cummins bowling today isn’t underrated. The man proved once again that he’s the best fast bowler in world cricket. The pressure bowling and the key wicket of the king is evidence of that.

I’m in two minds with him as the captaincy in both forms has clearly hurt his bowling but when he turns it on, he’s the most clutch bowler I’ve seen in an Aussie shirt since Warne.

Also this was a great way to potentially send Starcy off in ODI. Arguably Australia’s greatest ever odi fast bowler.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think we should also consider the idea that knockout cricket is a different beast we aren’t good at(as it stands) and World Cup winners are decided on the basis of that. And Australia simply have better mentality for it.

If this Indian team cannot win, I dont think we win a World Cup for at least five more years.

The elaborate group stages are a red herring for what matters the most to win a crunch game. It’s not necessarily the technically best team but the team that prepares better and handles the pressure.
I agree that we have been bat shit in knockouts for quite some time but this team really was playing exceptional cricket. The fact we absorbed Hardik's loss so easily was a testament to it. Both limited overs team now will require re-build or refresh so tough to see us replicate a similar run so soon.