g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't want to comment on the spirit of cricket thingy but this is potentially the funniest thing I've seen on cricket field :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
that doesnt seem logically right, also? he was already at the pitch. it's not like he was sorting out a helmet in the pavillion
Exactly, his helmet broke at the crease, and his first instinct - not unreasonably at all - is to sort it out.

Umpires needed to use some very basic common sense here - what did they expect him to do? Not put his own saftey first? What if the spinner decided to chuck in a bouncer for the lols?

KM

I saw it somewhere that T20 world Cups as of yet brings nowhere near the amount of money ODI World Cup brings for ICC and the Broadcasters as it still has biggest viewership Amongst all the ICC's Events , I think they will stick with it for the time being .
ICC ODI WC aren't going anywhere atleast till 2031

Though the future is T20. Just had a look and apparently 24 teams are qualifying for 2024 which is quite good.

Expecting USA to have some naturalised players till then.

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
looks like the cricketing pieces of shit list needs updating-
  • australia cricket team - bairstow incident and general exisiting
  • ashwin - mankading
  • ben stokes - scoring 4 legitimate runs in an odi world cup final
  • indian woman’s cricket team - mankading
  • pakistan - spot and match fixing
  • bangladesh and shakib - timing out matthews for wishing to exchange a faulty, life saving piece of equipment
for reference, the saviours of the game list-
  • brendon mccullum
  • england cricket team (men’s)
  • england cricket team (women’s)
  • the hundred

IRN-BRUno

Really poor decision. He's at the crease ready and then his equipment breaks. It's nothing to do with 'the spirit of cricket', it's a safety issue and he should be given time to sort it.

Saying he could just bat for an over without one until it's sorted isn't right, it's not fair to penalise someone for putting safety first. Might not even be able to, I think it's in English players contracts that they have to wear one at all times.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Really poor decision. He's at the crease ready and then his equipment breaks. It's nothing to do with 'the spirit of cricket', it's a safety issue and he should be given time to sort it.

Saying he could just bat for an over without one until it's sorted isn't right, it's not fair to penalise someone for putting safety first. Might not even be able to, I think it's in English players contracts that they have to wear one at all times.
All professional cricketers playing in England have to wear a helmet I believe.

zing

Zingle balls
Good score. I hope Sri Lanka mankad a Bangladesh player or two

ColvaleGoa

Though the future is T20. Just had a look and apparently 24 teams are qualifying for 2024 which is quite good.

Expecting USA to have some neutralised players till then.

Don't neutralise them for God's sake.

Dr. StrangeHate

Expecting USA to have some neutralised players till then.
They will have to neutralise a lot of opposing players to stand a chance.

TheGame

Exactly, his helmet broke at the crease, and his first instinct - not unreasonably at all - is to sort it out.

Umpires needed to use some very basic common sense here - what did they expect him to do? Not put his own saftey first? What if the spinner decided to chuck in a bouncer for the lols?
There is not much the umpires can do if an appeal is made because it breaches the laws of the game. The issue is that the appeal should not have been made and maybe Mathews given a friendly warning first.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I don't have the timeout rule but it does not make sense in modern day cricket anymore where so much time is wasted between overs by bowling & batting sides.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Seems like the timeout happened before the helmet strap issue, so Angelo was penalized for being unusually late to the crease. I wonder if that's indeed true, how they time it exactly, and how much time batters usually take to walk out in general, if anyone keeps such stats.

IRN-BRUno

BBC has listed the previous timed-out dismissals, some interesting reasons :lol:

Andrew JordaanEastern Province v Transvaal at Port Elizabeth1987-88Was not out overnight but delayed getting to ground because of floods
Hemulal YadavTripura v Orissa at Cuttack1997-98Talking to team manager and did not attempt to reach crease
Vasbert DrakesBorder v Free State at East London2002Was still flying from the West Indies
AJ HarrisNottinghamshire v Durham UCCE at Nottingham2003Was suffering with a groin injury and was unable to move quickly
Ryan AustinCombined Campuses and Colleges v Windward Islands at Kingstown, St Vincent2013-14No obvious reason
Charles KunjeMatabeleland Tuskers v Mountaineers at Bulawayo2017-18Unknown

KM

Seems like the timeout happened before the helmet strap issue, so Angelo was penalized for being unusually late to the crease. I wonder if that's indeed true, how they time it exactly, and how much time batters usually take to walk out in general, if anyone keeps such stats.
They said in mid innings break here that Angelo was late even before the helmet broke.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Timed out :lol: Pathetic by Bangbros to uphold the appeal.

Would be hilarious if we see a mankad or an appeal for a batter picking up the ball.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
According to the BBC website he was at the crease in the specified timeframe for this match (2 mins)

This is not on the umpires, they had no choice, Bangladesh could have called him back to the crease but from what I read they actually had a team huddle, presumably to decide what to do, this is what professional sport is these days, win at all cost, it's no different to not walking when you know you've nicked it or claiming a catch you know has it the ground first

Samid

Why is this guy being allowed 5 mins for a cramp? The innings has barely started.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
That's true, like someone else everyone has shifted their focus to T20, barely any ODI's were played from 2019 to 2022, which shows their focus was on other formats and only shifted to ODI's when it was a World Cup year. I'm certain this is going to be the last ODI World Cup, ODI's as a format is dead.
I'm not sure - they've lost their appeal somewhat, but I think they're still a happy middle road between test and t20. Bringing back the tri-series in this format could work.

Samid

Bad outcome for England. Now they need to either trash Holland or win both to finish top 8.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bad outcome for England. Now they need to either trash Holland or win both to finish top 8.
Yeah I can’t see them qualifying now. They’ll have to beat Pakistan which this side just won’t be able to do.

Samid

Yeah I can’t see them qualifying now. They’ll have to beat Pakistan which this side just won’t be able to do.
Not very likely that two of Ban, SL and Ned win another game. So trashing Holland by a very big margin could be enough.

But losing against Pakistan could mean India can throw the Holland match to eliminate England.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I mean, Pakistan need to win by a significant margin to have a remote chance of going through to the SFs (and hope that New Zealand lose their game vs Sri Lanka). Following Pakistani cricket my whole life - this is what will happen:

1) New Zealand lose to Sri Lanka
2) Pakistan lose to England

Samid

If Aussies win tomorrow I can see them throwing the Bangla game. They're actually petty enough to sabotage for England.

IRN-BRUno

We can have our own tournament with West Indies, Ireland and Zimbabwe instead!

Or replace India when they refuse to travel to Pakistan :lol:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I mean, Pakistan need to win by a significant margin to have a remote chance of going through to the SFs (and hope that New Zealand lose their game vs Sri Lanka). Following Pakistani cricket my whole life - this is what will happen:

1) New Zealand lose to Sri Lanka
2) Pakistan lose to England
It's funny how the sports teams we support and derive our highs from also traumatize us.

That would not be out of character for Pakistan at all, just like choking in the semis wouldn't be out of character for SA or India at all. And we hold on to these 'characteristic' predictions even when the current performance indicates that things will be different (more so in the case of India this WC than Pak, I'll concede) because it's less disappointing when you don't let your hopes get up.

We didn't have to look to cricket for this either, United fans are used to not getting their hopes up when a manager has a run of good games in the first season, we 'know' the collapse is coming.

AshRK

Suspect this will be the only way England will play in the CT
Or Pak boycott thw tournament because ICC wants venue changed as India refuse to travel and the tournament is held in a different country with England replacing Pak. So many possibilities.