g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I think people are intentionally missing the nuance with the Kohli 100 discussions although I didn't see his knock today so can't comment on that.
I'm not missing it, I just don't think overall its a detriment to this team. It quite simply isn't costing his team, and his team is doing quite well.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'm not missing it, I just don't think overall its a detriment to this team. It quite simply isn't costing his team, and his team is doing quite well.
Yep - no problems yet...Might never be!

Didn't like the message it sent that's all.

Anyway enough on that - India marching on.

RedDevilRoshi

Don’t know if it’s been an off day for South Africa or just India being way too good.

They have absolutely annihilated South Africa and difficult to see who can stop them when they are on this sort of form.

EDIT: And there is another wicket to make it 79-9 in the 26th over :eek:

SmallCaine

This Indian bowling attack is on another level. Bumrah, Jadeja economy under 4. Shami, Kuldeep economy under 5, worst of the lot is siraj at 5.2. It's like we are back in the 90's.

SmallCaine

This is a kind of dominance that I've never seen before at world cups.
Didn't see the west indies ones, but this is basically aussie 2003. Everyone's else is playing for 2nd, so help me god if we screw this up in the semis.

AshRK

If this team doesn't win the cup, I am not sure if we ever will. This is complete domination

Dr. StrangeHate

I was hoping that SA can at least give them a game to make the semi finals and final interesting, but not looking likely.

If New Zealand come fourth, despite them troubling India in the past, this team is too good to be troubled by the weak New Zealand bowling attack. If Pakistan come fourth it is basically a bye to the final.

For the finals, India has comfortably demolished both Australia and South Africa. Australia weren't even able to beat India's B team before the tournament. But still I feel Australia in the final putting on an amazing performance is the only chance of an upset to India. India has been comfortably the best team in this tournament. It is looking exactly like City's treble of last year.

RedDevilRoshi

India win by 234 runs! :eek:

Might as well give them the World Cup trophy now as honestly don’t know who can stop this team.

IRN-BRUno

Superb from India. When it comes to the knockouts, just having a shocking hour could end your tournament but at the moment you'd have to say it feels inevitable they'll win and deservedly so. Clearly the best team right now.

MDFC Manager

Didn't see the west indies ones, but this is basically aussie 2003. Everyone's else is playing for 2nd, so help me god if we screw this up in the semis.
I had to quickly look back at the 2003 results, yes indeed Australia were severely dominant in that one right through including the final, except for one close game against England in the group stage.

gorky_utd

Although we are really bad in knockouts, the thing that is giving me hope this time is our bowling performance. Unlike batters, you cannot take them out in 2-3 overs.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
India are a top ODI side in any period - but I think people are missing another potential crucial aspect here, the challengers aren't that good....

LDUred

This is such a boring World Cup. Two or three close games and that's it.

India are clearly the only side with a chance of winning it.

zing

Zingle balls
India are a top ODI side in any period - but I think people are missing another potential crucial aspect here, the challengers aren't that good....
I think this is a harsh assessment. The runners up in 2015 and 2019 were NZ, they played very similar to how NZ are playing in this WC. 2011 was won by India playing Sri Lanka, and this Indian team is easily better than the 2011 finalists.

The quality of teams placing 5-7 has been poor in this WC relative to others. The quality of 1-4 has been pretty good. India have just been that much better.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think this is a harsh assessment. The runners up in 2015 and 2019 were NZ, they played very similar to how NZ are playing in this WC. 2011 was won by India playing Sri Lanka, and this Indian team is easily better than the 2011 finalists.

The quality of teams placing 5-7 has been poor in this WC relative to others. The quality of 1-4 has been pretty good. India have just been that much better.
I agree while disagreeing.

I think the challengers weren't very good in 2019 either, hence I always felt pretty sure England would win it.

Sport proved shit happens, we snuck over the line. Maybe India will need similiar luck but they're the best side by an even bigger margin than England were (India were not that far off).

You really think this SA, NZ or Aus side are close to this Indian line up?

AshRK

I think the challengers weren't very good in 2019 either, hence I always felt pretty sure England would win it.

Sport proved shit happens, we snuck over the line. Maybe India will need similiar luck but they're the best side by an even bigger margin than England were (India were not that far off).

I do agree. It will be a massive upset if we lose the semis or finals.

zing

Zingle balls

I think if you played the final as a best of 5, India beats all of them. But in a one-off, I think SA can challenge India.

I guess I was more saying "ODI world cups are generally like this" as opposed to "there are multiple great teams at this world cup" - guess I misunderstood your point in a way.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think if you played the final as a best of 5, India beats all of them. But in a one-off, I think SA can challenge India.

I guess I was more saying "ODI world cups are generally like this" as opposed to "there are multiple great teams at this world cup" - guess I misunderstood your point in a way.
Yeah as usual I could have made it clearer :lol:

Sylar

Would be so typical if India dominate the groups completely and then have an off day in the semi finals

sport2793

Even if India don't go on and win this, definitely think this is the best Indian side to ever be fielded at a WC. Amazing in all 3 departments and have an answer for any situation, any conditions.

gorky_utd

It is still very much difficult from here. People are forgetting that NZ played quite well against us despite missing some key players. Aus had us at almost 12-4 in the first match. I think to win the cup, we need to beat both NZ and Aus again, which is pretty tough.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It is still very much difficult from here. People are forgetting that NZ played quite well against us despite missing some key players. Aus had us at almost 12-4 in the first match. I think to win the cup, we need to beat both NZ and Aus again, which is pretty tough.
Isn't everyone saying exactly this or similiar pretty much?

Skills

Snitch
I had to quickly look back at the 2003 results, yes indeed Australia were severely dominant in that one right through including the final, except for one close game against England in the group stage.
2007 they were even more dominant imo.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Don't think the semi-final curse will hit this India team, they are just so much better than anyone else it's ridiculous. They'll be talked about as being as dominant as the Australia teams of past.

That's true, like someone else everyone has shifted their focus to T20, barely any ODI's were played from 2019 to 2022, which shows their focus was on other formats and only shifted to ODI's when it was a World Cup year. I'm certain this is going to be the last ODI World Cup, ODI's as a format is dead.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Don't think the semi-final curse will hit this India team, they are just so much better than anyone else it's ridiculous. They'll be talked about as being as dominant as the Australia teams of past.

That's true, like someone else everyone has shifted their focus to T20, barely any ODI's were played from 2019 to 2022, which shows their focus was on other formats and only shifted to ODI's when it was a World Cup year. I'm certain this is going to be the last ODI World Cup, ODI's as a format is dead.
Second part is exactly why the bolded part won't happen. It's just a format that isn't relevant anymore outside of World Cups.

gajender

I saw it somewhere that T20 world Cups as of yet brings nowhere near the amount of money ODI World Cup brings for ICC and the Broadcasters as it still has biggest viewership Amongst all the ICC's Events , I think they will stick with it for the time being .

AshRK

I saw it somewhere that T20 world Cups as of yet brings nowhere near the amount of money ODI World Cup brings for ICC and the Broadcasters as it still has biggest viewership Amongst all the ICC's Events , I think they will stick with it for the time being .
Agreed. Odi wc is here to stay. Generates enough money for big players for them to shut it down.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wouldn't that be because of the lengthier matches and therefore more viewers? Would be interesting to compare a single ODI world cup to two T20 World Cups, which is what the current cycle is looking like.

zing

Zingle balls
Not watching but:

The reasoning is that you have to be ready to face a ball within two minutes of the fall of a wicket, and Mathews was not. A first in international cricket, says Russel Arnold on air.

Oh my. Angelo Mathews has been given OUT, timed out. He has not faced a ball.

Animated discussion between Mathews and the umpire. Mathews arguing that there was something wrong with the strap. Shakib and Bangladesh though have appealed as they argue the batter has timed out.

Angelo Mathews enters the fray. Bit of a delay here though, as there seems to be something wrong with Mathews' helmet. Think he might have brought the wrong helmet here.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That's disgusting from Bangladesh,

His fecking strap broke,

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Lot of chat saying he should have just batted without the helmet against the spin and sorted it out later.

Feels a bit ridiculous that Bangladesh even appealed though - Never a fan of getting cheap wickets, even if they are within the laws.

zing

Zingle balls
that doesnt seem logically right, also? he was already at the pitch. it's not like he was sorting out a helmet in the pavillion

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Lot of chat saying he should have just batted without the helmet against the spin and sorted it out later.

Feels a bit ridiculous that Bangladesh even appealed though - Never a fan of getting cheap wickets, even if they are within the laws.
Not surprised at all that it was Shakib who was at the center of all this. He's always been a bit controversial: swearing at spectators, kicking over stumps when he didn't agree with a decision, even a ban for breaching anti corruption rules. He's always been a hot head, with a "win at all costs" attitude.

Not surprised at all.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Very poor from the Bengalis.

An English fan on BBC Sport trying to equate the Bairstow ashes stumping with this. :lol: I hope it’s not our buddy @Utd heap!