ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

Scottynaldinho

Wasn't like that when he was captain
I remember someone made a comparison between Ronaldo and him here a few weeks ago and I completely agree. He gets in the way of the team for personal glory and to stay relevant. India would be a much better team without him.

MDFC Manager

I remember someone made a comparison between Ronaldo and him here a few weeks ago and I completely agree. He gets in the way of the team for personal glory and to stay relevant. India would be a much better team without him.
T20 definitely, but not in this format, no way.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I can't tell if Kohli is refusing to accelerate or is somehow unable to. He's done the opposite of Iyer and found it harder and harder to keep the SR up after Iyer got out.

zing

Zingle balls
I can't tell if Kohli is refusing to accelerate or is somehow unable to. He's done the opposite of Iyer and found it harder and harder to keep the SR up after Iyer got out.
He’s not shaping up to hit shots. It’s the former.

gajender

Enough about Kohli what do most reckon is the Total on Board enough doesn't look the easiest pitch to bat on to be honest .

Old Ma Crow

Enough about Kohli what do most reckon is the Total on Board enough doesn't look the easiest pitch to bat on to be honest .
All the commentary blokes are saying 260 was a par score and 300+ will be very difficult to chase on this pitch against India’s attack. Who knows?

NM

India has enough depth in batting. They don't need Kohli he has been detrimental to their batting for almost 4 years now.
:lol:
If he wasn't there we would have the tail batting with Jadeja.. Usually I agree but today it hasn't been on him. He's tried , it just hasn't come off.

For 4 years he hasn't been detrimental ffs.

gajender

All the commentary blokes are saying 260 was a par score and 300+ will be very difficult to chase on this pitch against India’s attack. Who knows?
South Africans aren't the best Chasers conditions look tough , Indian bowling have looked excellent so far in the tournament above par total to defend its all building up to be a sucker punch with South Africa coming out on Top .

Jokes apart I think India already have enough .

MDFC Manager

:lol:
If he wasn't there we would have the tail batting with Jadeja.. Usually I agree but today it hasn't been on him. He's tried , it just hasn't come off.

For 4 years he hasn't been detrimental ffs.
Yes it's crazy to say that.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
While we all wish it had come sooner today, what an achievement this is.

That's a monstrous monkey off his back - the comparisons to Tendulkar cannot go any further. Now he's in unchartered territory, at least in ODIs. And who knows if anyone can ever get to these numbers ever again.

MDFC Manager

All of you might look really dumb if this is a bowler's pitch and the Indian attack rips through SA. Let both sides bat.
I've already mentioned 250 is a challenge. I don't see South Africa getting close to this.

Skills

Snitch
While we all wish it had come sooner today, what an achievement this is.

That's a monstrous monkey off his back - the comparisons to Tendulkar cannot go any further. Now he's in unchartered territory, at least in ODIs. And who knows if anyone can ever get to these numbers ever again.
They won't. Nowhere near enough ODIs now and the format will be dead in the next decade

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
100 off 119 and we're complaining about his SR?

SB16

Some really weird folks in this thread. "Wasteman" century with a SR of 85 on what looks like a tough pitch to bat on.... jesus wept

Darkhorsez

Some really weird folks in this thread. "Wasteman" century with a SR of 85 on what looks like a tough pitch to bat on.... jesus wept
Yup but that’s cafe for you. Lots of subjectivity and not enough objectivity.

zing

Zingle balls
All of you might look really dumb if this is a bowler's pitch and the Indian attack rips through SA. Let both sides bat.
Virat Kohli

Overs 35-40: 8 runs off 12 balls
Overs 40-45: 14 runs off 14 balls
Overs 45-50: 12 runs off 12 balls

SA may collapse, but there's no need for a batsman to nurdle singles the way he did in the last phase of a game where we had the platform we did.

Scottynaldinho

He scored 100 runs in 20 overs. Rest of the team scored 226 in 30 overs. Some really weird folks defending that..... jesus wept

Old Ma Crow

It's the slowest century of the world cup by far. This is not 2003 anymore.
There’s also the possibility that if he’d blitzed and been out for a lowish score the rest collapse and India don’t post a competitive score.

Scottynaldinho

Virat Kohli

SA may collapse, but there's no need for a batsman to nurdle singles the way he did in the last phase of a game where we had the platform we did.
This is simply unacceptable at this level and in the World Cup.

NM

Virat Kohli

Zing I usually agree with you, and I think he should have done better.. But Rahul and Surya were struggling. Having Jadeja with the tail wasn't a good idea. I understand why he did what he did here.

SB16

He scored 100 runs in 20 overs. Rest of the team scored 226 in 30 overs. Some really weird folks defending that..... jesus wept
In situations like this you need a batsman to consolidate one end and make sure you're there to steady the innings so that there is more freedom at the other end to accelerate. It's more important in that situation to build a total (even if it's slow) rather than lose your wicket. Not that hard.

Scottynaldinho

In situations like this you need a batsman to consolidate one end and make sure you're there to steady the innings so that there is more freedom at the other end to accelerate. It's more important in that situation to build a total (even if it's slow) rather than lose your wicket. Not that hard.
Deciding not to accelerate even in the final 10 overs with wickets in hand is taking "consolidating one end" too far. He played for his 100 and ignored what the situation demanded. There's no way anyone can defend that.

zing

Zingle balls
There’s also the possibility that if he’d blitzed and been out for a lowish score the rest collapse and India don’t post a competitive score.
I definitely agree this is a possibility for us but at the point he was making this decision, it did not seem like it. There was time to attack, and if wickets were lost, to consolidate.

SinNombre

I think the Caf likes having extreme opinions.

It was a good knock from Kohli; at the same time, he should have batted with more intent in the last 10-15 overs. If this was closer to run a ball, there would have been a lot more praise.