ICC T20 World Cup 2021

kthanksbye

Weird omission, yeah. Like our selectors not picking Faf.
They're saying fitness issues, rumour has it that his action is still suspect, he gets away with it in the IPL, but won't in an ICC tournament.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yup, although Faf's omission is worse imo.

WI left out Holder too, who was also great in the IPL
Yeah when politics meet sport. Weird decisions like that become the norm. Still find the Faf omission mind boggling. You’d think we’re swimming in batting talent.
They're saying fitness issues, rumour has it that his action is still suspect, he gets away with it in the IPL, but won't in an ICC tournament.
Yeah I’m not sure about his action - hasn’t he been eligible and been playing internationals long before? But yeah, he’s a definite asset - especially in T20 cricket. Big loss.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
How do we think India will line up today? This is what we should field:

KL Rahul (wk)
Rohit
Ishan Kishan
Kohli
SKY
Pandya
Jadeja
Ashwin
Thakur
Shami
Bumrah

But don't think Pant will be dropped despite his patchy form and one of Ishan Kishan or Ashwin will miss out. Latter more likely if rumours of his falling out with Kohli are true.

zing

Zingle balls

KL Rahul (wk)
Rohit
Ishan Kishan
Kohli
SKY
Pandya
Jadeja
Ashwin
Thakur
Shami
Bumrah

But don't think Pant will be dropped despite his patchy form and one of Ishan Kishan or Ashwin will miss out. Latter more likely if rumours of his falling out with Kohli are true.
Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, Surya, Pant, Pandya, Jadeja, Ashwin, Shami, Bumrah, Varun

I would like ishan opening and surya on the bench. I think this is how india will line up.

kthanksbye

KL Rahul (wk)
Rohit
Ishan Kishan
Kohli
SKY
Pandya
Jadeja
Ashwin
Thakur
Shami
Bumrah

KL, Rohit, Virat, SKY, Pant, Hardik, Jaddu, Thakur, Bumrah, Shami, Varun.

Question marks over Hardik's bowling is not good for the team's balance.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
KL, Rohit, Virat, SKY, Pant, Hardik, Jaddu, Thakur, Bumrah, Shami, Varun.

Question marks over Hardik's bowling is not good for the team's balance.
Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, Surya, Pant, Pandya, Jadeja, Ashwin, Shami, Bumrah, Varun

I would like ishan opening and surya on the bench. I think this is how india will line up.
I feel that Pandya and Pant will ride their reputation over more deserving candidates like Ishan Kishan, too. To be very frank, Kohli hasn't been great himself, either, but he's Kohli and he's the captain.

Shami, Bumrah, Jadeja and maybe an over or two from Pandya is guaranteed. We'll decide between Ashwin/Thakur/Varun based on the pitch, I suppose.

kthanksbye

I feel that Pandya and Pant will ride their reputation over more deserving candidates like Ishan Kishan, too. To be very frank, Kohli hasn't been great himself, either, but he's Kohli and he's the captain.

Shami, Bumrah, Jadeja and maybe an over or two from Pandya is guaranteed. We'll decide between Ashwin/Thakur/Varun based on the pitch, I suppose.
I think Varun plays for sure, the decision will be between Ashwin Thakur and Bhuvi

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

How is Ishan kishan more deserving when he got benched by MI for Saurabh Tiwary

Dudu

Cmon SL! Interesting decision to go all out pace attack + Hasaranga. Theekshana is a big miss

Meanwhile BD have picked an extra spinner.

Moby

Dick
If the pitches continue to be slow and low scoring with 15-160 par score then this is a tailor made scenario for Rahul-Rohit-Kohli top 3. Champions of 7-8 RPO.

IRN-BRUno

Anyone know how this win predictor actually works? England chasing 56 and were 1-0 after 2 balls, it comes up as giving the Windies a 19% chance :confused:

LoneStar

I don't follow cricket much these days, but is Pakistan any good these days?

Anyway, excited for today. C'mon India!

Chief123

Weird going into a WC match and I don't know a single player from their team. :lol:

Feels like a United-Leeds game, a rivalry that used to be competitive once upon a time.
You must not have watched cricket for 20 years if you don’t know a single player from their team. Some of them have been playing for nearly 2 decades.

Moby

Dick
You must not have watched cricket for 20 years if you don’t know a single player from their squad. Some of them have been playing for nearly 2 decades.
Yeah I don't think I've watched them play for 10 odd years.

What I meant was I dunno who still plays for them.

Cloud7

It always cracks me up when athletes square up to each other like they did just now, or like in football. We all know you aren't going to do anything. Stop grandstanding.

zing

Zingle balls
Anyone know how this win predictor actually works? England chasing 56 and were 1-0 after 2 balls, it comes up as giving the Windies a 19% chance :confused:
I can take a guess and provide you an explanation you probably won't care much about. There are two ways predictions can be done - one is called parametric(fitting equations) and the other is non parametric(using decision trees). In the former, what you'd do is you'd fit an equation and the equation can be used to extrapolate. For example, let's say the equation tells you that after 3 matches United are on 5 points on average, you'd predict that after 6 matches they'd be on 10 points, after 12 matches they'd be on 20 points. There's a rate of change relationship between points gained and matches played.

In decision trees, what happens is the models make splits based on inputs.. here's what a decision tree can look like: https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/824/0*J2l5dvJ2jqRwGDfG.png

My guess is what happened is they're using decision trees and the data they used to build the model didn't have many samples with scores as low as 55. So what it MAY have done is split on a much higher threshold(say, a node may have split as < 100 runs) and within that the probability would be 19%, but it would again be a small sample in T20, and wouldn't have been split further. So it didn't do what a parametric model would've done in the United example above "lower the score, lower the win probability", and instead the split was "score less than X, win probability of Y", and it didn't matter how low X was.

As the game progressed, the predictions started traversing down nodes with variables which looked more intuitively correct (for example, runs to get/overs left).

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
It always cracks me up when athletes square up to each other like they did just now, or like in football. We all know you aren't going to do anything. Stop grandstanding.
I was a little intrigued when Litton started waving his bat around like a club in the bowler's face, but unfortunately others intervened before things escalated.

zing

Zingle balls
looks a better match than the ones we saw yesterday..

Sri Lankan bowlers seem to bowl decent pace for a country which historically wasn't known for speed, much like India.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I don't follow cricket much these days, but is Pakistan any good these days?

Anyway, excited for today. C'mon India!
Heavily reliant on the top 3 to fire (Babar, Rizwan, Fakhar) because the middle order is crap. Bowling is decent given the conditions.

They have the advantage of having played a lot of cricket in UAE so should really be making the semis. But they always start tournaments slowly which they can't afford this time. Could be either ready for the semis or eliminated by Tuesday evening. It's a bizarre schedule where the three games between Ind, Pak and NZ all are played first. If any of them loses two games the rest of the group stage will become a complete borefest.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bangladesh should be looking at 160+ from here.

zing

Zingle balls
Bangla have put their foot down properly - match winning partnership

LoneStar

Heavily reliant on the top 3 to fire (Babar, Rizwan, Fakhar) because the middle order is crap. Bowling is decent given the conditions.

They have the advantage of having played a lot of cricket in UAE so should really be making the semis. But they always start tournaments slowly which they can't afford this time. Could be either ready for the semis or eliminated by Tuesday evening. It's a bizarre schedule where the three games between Ind, Pak and NZ all are played first. If any of them loses two games the rest of the group stage will become a complete borefest.
Ah, thanks for the summary. And that's a good point about the 'home' advantage.

Certainly hope we get a banger today!

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Just tuned in. Are we assuming this pitch is a lot better than what we were seeing yesterday or is this a fecking incredible score from Bangla?

EDIT - Just saw the short square boundary. That'll certainly help.

Dudu

Ah. 172. So inconistent with the lengths. How the heck did Chamika not bowl out?! Wonderful knock from Mushfiqur though.

Will be a tough to chase given how shite the top order batting is. If K. Perera gets going there's a small chance.

E: Welp. Nervermind. Can somebody bloody turn up?

Last edited:

Dudu

you Sri Lankan?

Bangla's game now..
Yup.

These two have to take it deep, it's usually the lower batting order that's delivered lately. Even if we lose, need to get as close as possible and limit the NRR damage.

PoTMS

How costly will that dropped catch by Das be? Sri Lanka look like they'll ease to 172.