If all players reached their potential...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
...and stayed at their club, which side could have been a 'great' or pushed much further than they did?

In the season where we had Martinez and achieved 5th we had a 25 year old Seamus Coleman, Deulofeu, Lukaku, Barkley, Stones and McCarthy. At the time it was widely thought that Stones and Barkley were going to be the next big things for England, Lukaku was going to be one of the best strikers in the world, Deulofeu was a very promising talent, Coleman had probably his best ever season and was the best RB in the league along with Zabaleta and McCarthy was a McTominay type player - not the best by any means but very solid and dependable. The next two seasons were huge underachievements and by at the end of 2017 - Stones, Deulofeu and Lukaku had all left the club. Barkley left in the January of 2018. It's a case of 'what could have been?' and many of the players have failed to reach the heights they were meant to. Coleman has gone on to have a solid career with us, Barkley has shown glimpses at Chelsea but has no consistency as with Stones at City. Lukaku has managed a very good career in terms of his goal tally but always has a lingering question mark and McCarthy was unlucky enough to be ruined with injury.

Another side was Newcastle of 11/12 (Thanks to the Cisse thread for reminding me of this). They had that young fullback Santon who was highly rated, Cabaye who many believed should have been playing at a higher level, Ben Arfa who was ridiculously talented (One of the best dribblers I've seen in the PL), Tiote (R.I.P) who was regarded one of the best CDMs and Ba who was a great striker. They went onto add Sissoko in the next season but a mixture of little to no recruitment/poor recruitment meant that this dream slowly came to an end for Newcastle fans and 5 years later they were relegated.

What happened? Were these teams or players just not as good as we thought they were or did it come down to poor recruitment and management? What other teams can you think of in decades past that could have been?

P.s I know with Everton I am a bit biased but I genuinely believe Lukaku, Stones, Barkley and Deulofeu should have been much better than they are.

meamth

That Leeds side though, cliche, I know.

Southampton would be sweeping teams. To be fair the modern day Soton is actually Liverpool.

Leicester? deserves a shout.

Baneofthegame

That Leeds side though, cliche, I know.

Southampton would be sweeping teams. To be fair the modern day Soton is actually Liverpool.

Leicester? deserves a shout.
Just with Bale instead of Salah, so not too shabby.

Redcy

Oldham would have scholes, not United

Preston would have Beckham

etc

parma , westham deserves a shout btw

Pretty sure Preston would not have Beckham as he went there on loan, if anything you could say he would have stayed with Spurs. However I think you have to draw the line at professional clubs. So beckham plays for united as does Scholes who never even played for Oldham?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If Ronaldo reached his peak at United without fecking Michael Owen replacing him, I think it's fair to say that We would have been the destroyers of the world. Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Persie.

Sir Alex 2012/2013:
De Gea
Rafael----Vida---Rio---Evra
Scholes----Carrick
Ronaldo--Van Persie--Rooney--Giggs
would have been the time where everyone is at their peak, in the perfect world.

Last edited:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Valencia 2009/10:
Juan Mata
David Villa
David Silva
Jordi Alba
Banega
Mathieu
Pablo Hernandez
Joaquin

Would have had tough opposition, mind

Brophs

The One and Only
Haven’t read the thread but the answer is Sonny Pike and Sean Maguire when he was in Eastenders.

UpWithRivers

West Ham - Joe Cole, Carrick, Ferdinand, Lampard, Defoe, Glen Johnson all came through thier academy in a similar time - or together? Thats the best generational British talent since ours. If they kept them and added a couple of others then they would have been awesome for decades

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Late 2000s to early 2010s Lille is among the first teams that come to mind. Won the Ligue 1 title in 2011 so you could argue that they achieved the biggest goal for a club of their stature, but they could have possibly been more in terms of winning multiple Ligue 1 + Coupe de France titles and Champions League knockout advancement if they had retained Dante (instrumental in Bayern's treble season), Lichtsteiner (mainstay for Juventus' serial Serie A winners), Bastos, Rami, Miralles from previous seasons, the likes of Mavuba, Gervinho, Cabaye, Debuchy, Sow had maximized their potential, and Hazard (could have been the best player in the league for several seasons), Gueye (one of the better defensive midfielders in recent years), Pléa had stuck around. Ligue 1 in general is a hotbed for teams that could have accomplished more and pushed further...most prominently Marseille/Lyon/Monaco, especially since the '90s as the best players started venturing abroad in greater numbers.

Alternatively, Dinamo Zagreb — who would have boasted one of the finest midfields in club football, and could have been dark horses in the Champions League in recent seasons.

Mandzukić Petković Olmo
Kranjčar Brozović Modrić
Pivarić Lovren Vida Vrsaljko
Eduardo/Livaković​

Additional options: Olić, Kovacić, Ćorluka, Badelj, Pranjić, Orsić, Jedvaj, Pjaca

Pughnichi

West Ham - Joe Cole, Carrick, Ferdinand, Lampard, Defoe, Glen Johnson all came through thier academy in a similar time - or together? Thats the best generational British talent since ours. If they kept them and added a couple of others then they would have been awesome for decades
This!

Ive always thought that about West Ham. Must have been so infuriating being a hammers fan and thinking what might have been.

could be wrong re timing but throw in DiCanio, Pearce already there and it could have been something special.

Looking at their transfer history...

Ferdinand & Lampard 97
Cole and DiCanio 99
Defoe, Pearce & Carrick 2000
Johnson a bit later in 03

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Late 2000s to early 2010s Lille is among the first teams that come to mind. Won the Ligue 1 title in 2011 so you could argue that they achieved the biggest goal for a club of their stature, but they could have possibly been more in terms of winning multiple Ligue 1 + Coupe de France titles and Champions League knockout advancement if they had retained Dante (instrumental in Bayern's treble season), Lichtsteiner (mainstay for Juventus' serial Serie A winners), Bastos, Rami, Miralles from previous seasons, the likes of Mavuba, Gervinho, Cabaye, Debuchy, Sow had maximized their potential, and Hazard (could have been the best player in the league for several seasons), Gueye (one of the better defensive midfielders in recent years), Pléa had stuck around. Ligue 1 in general is a hotbed for teams that could have accomplished more and pushed further...most prominently Marseille/Lyon/Monaco, especially since the '90s as the best players started venturing abroad in greater numbers.

Alternatively, Dinamo Zagreb — who would have boasted one of the finest midfields in club football, and could have been dark horses in the Champions League in recent seasons.

Mandzukić Petković Olmo
Kranjčar Brozović Modrić
Eduardo/Livaković​

Additional options: Olić, Kovacić, Ćorluka, Badelj, Pranjić, Orsić, Jedvaj, Pjaca
Dynamo Zagreb are definitely one of the best exporters of good talent to the top leagues in Europe, but i think a lot of those players would have stagnated and ended up clearly worse if they had stayed their whole career in Croatia. Excellent natural talents like Modric would probably still be a top player, but a lot of the others that grafted hard and improved once they moved abroad would struggle to reach the same heights. I don't think there are any eastern euro leagues that are at a good enough level any more to get the most out of players that stay there

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Late 2000s to early 2010s Lille is among the first teams that comes to mind. Won the Ligue 1 title in 2011 so you could argue that they achieved the biggest goal for a club of their stature, but they could have possibly been more in terms of multiple Ligue 1 + Coupe de France and Champions League knockout advancement if they had retained the likes of Dante (instrumental in Bayern's treble season), Lichtsteiner (mainstay for Juventus' serial Serie A winners), Bastos, Rami, Miralles from previous seasons, the likes of Mavuba, Gervinho, Cabaye, Debuchy, Sow had maximized their potential, and Hazard (could have been the best player in the league for several seasons), Gueye (one of the better defensive midfielders in recent years), Pléa had stuck around. Ligue 1 in general is a hotbed for teams that could have accomplished more and pushed further...most prominently Marseille/Lyon/Monaco, especially since the '90s as the best players started venturing abroad in greater numbers.

Mandzukić Petković Olmo
Kranjčar Brozović Modrić
Eduardo/Livaković​

Pléa is a Lyon product and they are probably one of the best example even today, if they had the money to keep whoever they wanted.

---------Martial----Benzema----Fékir
-------Ndombélé----Pjanic-----Aouar
Mendy--------Umtiti------Denayer-----Dubois
------------------------Lloris

Bench: Lopes-Lovren-Tete-Tolisso-Bruno Guimaraes-Cherki-Dembélé.

paulscholes18

Forster
Clyne Van Dijk Lovren Shaw
Mane Schneiderlin Wanyama Bale
Lallana
Tadic

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Pléa is a Lyon product and they are probably one of the best example even today, if they had the money to keep whoever they wanted.
Yeah, they were the proverbial elephant in the room — so I decided to do the slightly less fashionable Lille instead. :)

On a side note, Benfica is also quite intriguing and well balanced, if I remember some of the players correctly...

Jiménez
Di María Félix Bernardo
Witsel Matić
Grimaldo Dias Lindelöf Cancelo
Oblak​

Manager: José Mourinho (would have been in charge for a couple of decades by now).
Subs: Ederson, Luiz, Semedo, Rodrigo, Pizzi, Luís, Taarabt, Garay, Jović.

@paulscholes18, Tadić for one of the forward positions?

RyRoc

Monaco of 16-17 just for the fact they would of had Mbappe alone if I'm being totally honest but even so that plus Bernando Silva and Fabinho who have gone on to be 2 of the best players in the Premier League. Feel Benjamin Mendy hasn't quite reached the level that was expected of him but he's been injured a lot although I wouldn't right him off. Thomas Lemar is a weird one , I honestly expected him to be the heartbeat of the French side at the Euro 2018 but he's fallen off a cliff since moving to Athletico. Bakayoko in my opinion is a far better play than what we saw at Chelsea but haven't followed his career much since.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
If Inter weren't incompetent, they could've had Roberto Carlos, Pirlo and Seedorf with R9 and others.