If Cristiano Ronaldo leaves in the summer, what will it say about the future of Manchester United?

Zen

That the club is finally getting rid of players correctly instead of holding on forever.

CloneMC16

It will say nothing. This club is bigger than any player. Especially a 37 year old that hasn't been great, anyway. The club will move on and hopefully buy a player that will be a better fit for the team.

I don't see where he's going if he left. No team in the CL are paying him 500k a week.

BigRon1985

We are Manchester Utd FC not Ronaldo FC - no player is bigger than the club

Won't miss his tantrums, sulking and storming off the pitch without acknowledging the fans

Need to build for the future not cling on to the past..........

Offsideagain

If he leaves, it will say more about Ronaldo than the club. This supposed to be the club in his heart, but in truth it’s his bank balance I suspect. Where would he go anyway? China, Saudi the States? As long as he keeps scoring for us, I don’t care.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Since he arrived last summer, Cristiano Ronaldo has been the single most talked about personality at the club. In the early weeks of the season, we talked about him as he banged in the goals. During the group stages of the Champions League we talked about him because his goals kept us in the tournament. Today with allegations of tensions with Harry Maguire over the leadership in the dressing room and the United captaincy, we are talking about him again. Ronaldo himself has said that he has come to United to be successful and that finishing top three is a minimum for him.

Ronaldo represents so much more than a returning hero. This man is a multiple Champions League and Ballon D'or winner, a serial winner of trophies in England, Spain and Italy. He embodies success and the highest professional standards. Attitudinally, we have nothing like Cristiano Ronaldo in our dressing room. He is the culture of sustainable and relentless success, that is completely alien to the 2022 Manchester United vintage.

So, if we accept these things to be true, what would his departure mean for us? Would it represent a victory for those in the dressing room who allegedly resent his presence? Would it mean tacit acceptance of the comparative mediocrity that United have become? Would it mean that he has simply given up on us?

Much as I know that CR7 cannot go on forever, I also think that the symbolism of his departure would speak volumes about the direction of this club. What do others think?
this is hysterical.

Ronaldo while being a commercial dream is over the hill as a footballer.

Him being replaced as a footballer means a good thing - stop looking for drama

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It will say that Ronaldo and his team mates were not good enough for the top 4.

The team should be happy that Ronaldo leaves whilst Ronaldo should be happy that he left these team mates.

studs

Nothing, if he does leave. After the first few weeks of the new season he will be forgotten about.

Lentwood

Since he arrived last summer, Cristiano Ronaldo has been the single most talked about personality at the club. In the early weeks of the season, we talked about him as he banged in the goals. During the group stages of the Champions League we talked about him because his goals kept us in the tournament. Today with allegations of tensions with Harry Maguire over the leadership in the dressing room and the United captaincy, we are talking about him again. Ronaldo himself has said that he has come to United to be successful and that finishing top three is a minimum for him.

Ronaldo represents so much more than a returning hero. This man is a multiple Champions League and Ballon D'or winner, a serial winner of trophies in England, Spain and Italy. He embodies success and the highest professional standards. Attitudinally, we have nothing like Cristiano Ronaldo in our dressing room. He is the culture of sustainable and relentless success, that is completely alien to the 2022 Manchester United vintage.

So, if we accept these things to be true, what would his departure mean for us? Would it represent a victory for those in the dressing room who allegedly resent his presence? Would it mean tacit acceptance of the comparative mediocrity that United have become? Would it mean that he has simply given up on us?

Much as I know that CR7 cannot go on forever, I also think that the symbolism of his departure would speak volumes about the direction of this club. What do others think?
That we let a 37yo forward go....?

We have to stop this obsession with 'star players'. There are no 'stars' at City or Liverpool, just excellent footballers who keep their head down, graft and do exactly what is expected of them.

We keep falling into this trap of assembling a 'FIFA Ultimate Team', lots of pretty shiny cards but never works in the real World

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I doubt there are clubs lining up to pay him the obscene money we're paying him. He'll stay.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I mean...not much.

The fact that we find ourselves in a position where our two strikers are a 37 year old and a 35-year-old says much more about us, to be honest.

wolvored

If he wasnt going to sign for City, we wouldnt have been in for him. If you are talking loyalty, he was going to sign for our rivals, until Fergie stepped in as was reported, so where is the loyalty.
I cant think of another footballer who has been successful, return to a club and been as successful again, its overwhelmingly the opposite.
Take the name Ronaldo away and its a 37 year old that is way past his best and needs replacing. Cavani the same.

rooney2009

We signed him and we were all so happy but it hasn’t worked out and we have to cut our losses asap

UpWithRivers

It will say a great player has stepped down when he realizes he doesnt have it anymore to play at the top level like all the other United legends that bowed out gracefully.

United Hobbit

Ronaldo leaving wouldnt be an issue. The bigger issue is Maguire staying.
Agree. It's already an issue we are letting him keep the captaincy. Look at him next to some of our former captains, makes me want to weep.

I wonder if Ronaldo may retire at the end of the season. He must hate that his body is starting to fail him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
With how we live in the past last 3 years, far better chance is that he will sign new contract

Polar

If Ronaldo leaves this summer, it says we’ve decided enough is enough. This time we do the clean up seriously and start from scratch.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It means that in the future we should stop living in nostalgia and stop signing old strikers.

KeanoMagicHat

It would say that United are still stuck in the past and aren’t ready to compete for the league. Ronaldo will be 38 by the business stage of next season, we’ve already seen a significant decline this season and many tantrums to being subbed. It’s not worth the circus and the hassle.

Red00012

It’ll say that the board will panic buy Kane for £80 million

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I cannot believe this is being discussed and cannot believe that so many still think he should have signed.

Most talked about, you say? Well, no problem, if he leaves, United can stay true to the form and bring back Zlatan. Or RVN. Or Charlton.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I hope he leaves. In the best interest of everyone involved.

jm99

It would mean that we didn't finish in the top 4, otherwise he won't leave nor should he. He's outscored every other forward we have combined (assuming you count Bruno as a midfielder). Cavani is leaving, greenwood isn't coming back, rashford looks a shadow of the player he was, we already need to sign two midfielders, a centre back, a right back, probably a left winger, and a striker, if we lose Ronaldo we'd need another forward option as well cos we'll have so little after the end of the season.

He's not the player he was but he's 4th top scorer in the league, 5th top scorer in the champions League, playing in a team devoid of creativity and indeed missing a midfield for the most part, it's not peak Ronaldo, but there's no player we'll be able to sign on the cheap to replace him and we can't afford much more than cheap given that there's about 3 other more pressing areas to be fixed

MrBest

Ronaldo cost 12m and about 26m a season, who cares. Ronaldo is a natural goalscorer, but even these type of players need service. Our wingers for this season are too selfish to provide this, Greenwood before he got arrested and Rashford. Sancho is a lot less selfish and so is Elanga so hopefully we see more goals from Ronnie. I dont get why we criticise Ronaldo for not being good enough, he has scored the most goals for us, works hard and is a seriel winner. Could we have a better option at the top, yes but its not possible right now. If he stays another season I'd be happy, his type of experience is invaluable, we just need to recruit better in other areas. If you gave me a choice of who to drop in our current team, Maguire and Mctominay, both who are useless and make countless mistakes. At least Ronaldo dpes his job and has so 15 times in 27 occasions.

A Civilized Reader

I don't want him to leave, and I don't believe he will leave. He has never been a loser who run away from problem. I believe he will only leave us when he win at least one trophy with us.

If he leave this summer, not much will happen to the club, simply because he hasn't created that big of an influence yet. If we somehow manage to win the Champion League, then the Premier League next year with him, then his leaving will be something else. And I really hope it happen that way.

At the moment, I just enjoy every minute I see Cristiano in an United shirt. We have been shit for a decade already anyway :).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Even if Haaland joined us, he would have struggle to score as many here with the disjointed team we've got.

Remember Sancho used to produce amazing double figures in both goals and assists at Dortmund, he is 20 goals + 20 assists a season player over there. So far he has 4 goals 0 assist in 27 games for us.

Dream on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Even if Haaland joined us, he would have struggle to score as many here with the disjointed team we've got.

Remember Sancho used to produce amazing double figures in both goals and assists at Dortmund, he is 20 goals + 20 assists a season player over there. So far he has 4 goals 0 assist in 27 games for us.

Dream on.
He'd do miles better than Ronaldo and would enable to us to play a more cohesive style of football. Dreaming of a good future is nice. Far better than clinging on to the past and making decisions based on sentiment.

At the end of the day a front three of Rashford Marrial and teen Grewnwood was much better than what we have now. So it's not all about names but the collective

amolbhatia50k

I don't want him to leave, and I don't believe he will leave. He has never been a loser who run away from problem. I believe he will only leave us when he win at least one trophy with us.

If he leave this summer, not much will happen to the club, simply because he hasn't created that big of an influence yet. If we somehow manage to win the Champion League, then the Premier League next year with him, then his leaving will be something else. And I really hope it happen that way.

At the moment, I just enjoy every minute I see Cristiano in an United shirt. We have been shit for a decade already anyway :).
So what did he do at Juve and Madrid then? I don't think anyone has suggested a great player is a loser either - those two don't generally go together? Let's be honest where would Ronaldo go? Who is paying his wages? If he stays it's most likely because there won't be any suitors. Hopefully Madrid or PSG come calling.

I like the last paragraph. Who cares about the team when you can "enjoy Ronnie"?

kundalini

Progress.

The chance to build a coherent team.

Hopefully the end to the team being selected on reputation rather than form but I suspect that's unrealistic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
So what did he do at Juve and Madrid then? I don't think anyone has suggested a great player is a loser either - those two don't generally go together? Let's be honest where would Ronaldo go? Who is paying his wages? If he stays it's most likely because there won't be any suitors. Hopefully Madrid or PSG come calling.

I like the last paragraph. Who cares about the team when you can "enjoy Ronnie"?
Sums it all up, just about amol :lol:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He'd do miles better than Ronaldo and would enable to us to play a more cohesive style of football. Dreaming of a good future is nice. Far better than clinging on to the past and making decisions based on sentiment.

At the end of the day a front three of Rashford Marrial and teen Grewnwood was much better than what we have now. So it's not all about names but the collective
Maybe he will be better, but he will still be bad for his standard, if he plays here. He is type of player who relies heavily on service too, he will have close to none at Man Utd.

People seem just don't understand, we are a terribly disjointed team, almost every big names joining us would not even be half of the player they once were from elsewhere.

And last season both Martial and Greenwood is struggling to score goals too, Rashford shite form starts around early 2021, long before Ronaldo has joined us. The problem is always there. All these years we don't have a team, we rely on the form of our individuals. We can only dream on if we think past equals present/future, or form is permanent.

But true, its more about collective team play. We need at least 6 new players for next season. The current bunch is hopeless.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Maybe he will be better, but he will still be bad for his standard, if he plays here. He is type of player who relies heavily on service too, he will have close to none at Man Utd.

People seem just don't understand, we are a terribly disjointed team, almost every big names joining us would not even be half of the player they once were from elsewhere.

And last season both Martial and Greenwood is struggling to score goals too, Rashford shite form starts around early 2021, long before Ronaldo has joined us. The problem is always there. All these years we don't have a team, we rely on the form of our individuals. We can only dream on if we think past equals present/future, or form is permanent.

But true, its more about collective team play. We need at least 6 new players for next season. The current bunch is hopeless.
Depends on the next manager. That's our most important decision right now. But having players who don't fit a cohesive system such as 37 year old Ronaldo or slow Maguire or poor on the AWB (dropped now) or can't pass a football Mctominay, doesn't help. Ronaldo is still a very good goalscorer but he doesn't help us in modernising in the manner a young and adaptable player like Sancho does, for example. I'd prefer we hire a quality manager and then help him in implementing a progressive attacking style by signing forwards (and midfielders etc ) who will fit that.