If Mourinho's authority and ideology were given more backing, would we be challenging?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nope, people said (and pretty much all the press reported at the time) that United wouldn't meet Inter Milan's valuation for Perisic - and therefore didn't really try very hard to get him onboard. You said United tried but Perisic turned us down - the subtext being that he didn't want to play for us and/or Mourinho. That has been completely blown out of the water with his recent interview.
So you are saying that he is still lying, wasn't very close to join and didn't had an offer on the table?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
before this transfer values madness, you could revamp a squad in a summer. Nowadays clubs know that EPL teams have a lot of money to squeeze from, and that makes it impossible to make a squad overhaul like it used to happen 10 years ago.

So, I don't think it would make much difference.

UncleBob

that is assuming those were spent by him. You can say Zlatan was for sure his. Matic was his. Others, no one knows for sure.
:lol:

There's nothing credible, nothing whatsoever, that suggests otherwise, neither under Mourinho, Van Gaal or Moyes.

No one knows for sure that the lizard people aren't in control. Mint.

Mourinho loathes it when someone tries to interfere, we signed 11 players while he was at the club and your theory is that we shouldn't be so certain that Mourinho actually wanted the remaining 9, signings that were made from day one, without him giving the slightest form of hint about it during his 2,5 season stay, good one.

Mourinho even wanted Pogba at Chelsea before he got sacked.

Don't be daft.

Rusholme Ruffian

So you are saying that he is still lying, wasn't very close to join and didn't had an offer on the table?
Is your blood sugar low? No, I'm saying that he is now telling the truth - in a way that he couldn't when he was still at Inter. I'm saying exactly what I was saying months ago (and many other have said before and since), namely that United placed a bid (or bids), but none that met Inter's valuation of the player (which incidentally now looks like good value).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Matic would still be starting games so no. We likely would be better than we are now though but certainly not challenging.

On top of that we would have a big problem because Lukaku would still be here, on top of Sanchez stinking out the place or being sent out on loan we would also have another player past his best in Willian on our books.

Tuanzebe would be nowhere near the first team also

Not to mention that we would still have a problem in midfield, who knows what CM he would have brought in next after the success of Fred Matic and Pogba

Rusholme Ruffian

:lol:

There's nothing credible, nothing whatsoever, that suggests otherwise, neither under Mourinho, Van Gaal or Moyes.

No one knows for sure that the lizard people aren't in control. Mint.

Mourinho loathes it when someone tries to interfere, we signed 11 players while he was at the club and your theory is that we shouldn't be so certain that Mourinho actually wanted the remaining 9, signings that were made from day one, without him giving the slightest form of hint about it during his 2,5 season stay, good one.

Mourinho even wanted Pogba at Chelsea before he got sacked.

Don't be daft.
Does Fred strike you as a Mourinho type player?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think his biggest mistake was to buy Lukaku and think he is a player like Drogba. The injury to Zlatan didn't help him either.
Pogba + Lukaku = Drogba. Sanchez + Matic = Lingard. Lingard + Bailly = Bebe.

JPRouve

Scout
Is your blood sugar low? No, I'm saying that he is now telling the truth - in a way that he couldn't when he was still at Inter. I'm saying exactly what I was saying months ago (and many other have said before and since), namely that United placed a bid (or bids), but none that met Inter's valuation of the player (which incidentally now looks like good value).
My blood sugar is okay, it's nice of you to ask. So you agree that United tried to sign him which was my point from the beginning. Now no one knows why a player who according to his own tell was very close to join and ultimately didn't. I won't agree or disagree with your theory since I know nothing about that.

Skills

Snitch
A swap for Martial looks good value :confused:

Withnail

You mean like when we came second?
Yeah, a distant second: 19pts behind and a disparity in goal difference of 39. Don't fool yourself into thinking that was a genuine title challenge.

Even if Mourinho was backed, I think he still would have crashed and burned as he was already alienating the players and would have lost the dressing room regardless.

UncleBob

Does Fred strike you as a Mourinho type player?
Ah, so we're down to if one player strikes us as a Mourinho type player, great. Fred was a clever player at Shaktar, a mobile player with a solid defensive contribution as well as being good going forward, both in terms of dribbling and passing. We scouted the fecker for a year as well.

Rusholme Ruffian

Ah, so we're down to if one player strikes us as a Mourinho type player, great. Fred was a clever player at Shaktar, a mobile player with a solid defensive contribution as well as being good going forward, both in terms of dribbling and passing. We scouted the fecker for a year as well.
Does Mkhitaryen strike you as Mourinho type player?

Siorac

Does Mkhitaryen strike you as Mourinho type player?
He signed plenty of shite players during his career, get over it. It doesn't mean all his flops were forced on him while his best signings are all down to his unwavering brilliance.

The Mourinho fan club is easily the most annoying thing on the Caf.

Rusholme Ruffian

My blood sugar is okay, it's nice of you to ask. So you agree that United tried to sign him which was my point from the beginning. Now no one knows why a player who according to his own tell was very close to join and ultimately didn't. I won't agree or disagree with your theory since I know nothing about that.
I genuinely don't think anybody on this forum - ever - has said that United didn't place any bids for Perisic. The question has always been about how hard we tried to get the deal over the line. What it always looked like was that we placed a couple of lowball offers that Inter rightly rebuffed, then increased the bid a bit, but never reached the price that Inter had clearly stated. A little like if this summer we had stopped the Wan Bissaka bidding at £45 million in spite of Place being clear from the start that they were looking for at least £50 million.

Anyway, I think we're done here - I was just interested to see whether you'd do the decent thing and admit you were wrong, but you're clearly not that guy.

Bestietom

Good Question. Mourinho may have got us further than we are now, but without backing, he would still fail like any other manager we bring in.
This is what must change, Forget about the 600million spent on bad transfers in the past. We must think about going Forward now and trust/back the manager we have chosen to bring us back to where we belong.

Rusholme Ruffian

He signed plenty of shite players during his career, get over it. It doesn't mean all his flops were forced on him while his best signings are all down to his unwavering brilliance.

The Mourinho fan club is easily the most annoying thing on the Caf.
I've specifically named 2 players that firstly didn't fit the type of profile of player that Mourinho generally signs (certainly not the 'big, experienced, hard, athletic stereotypes that people usually imply are the only types of player he signs), and with both of them there was an extended period of time where he didn't play them - almost as though he was figuring out how he could use them.

What I find the most annoying thing on the CAF is people shutting down other people's points/debate because of their own personal bias/agenda.

UncleBob

I've specifically named 2 players that firstly didn't fit the type of profile of player that Mourinho generally signs (certainly not the 'big, experienced, hard, athletic stereotypes that people usually imply are the only types of player he signs), and with both of them there was an extended period of time where he didn't play them - almost as though he was figuring out how he could use them.

What I find the most annoying thing on the CAF is people shutting down other people's points/debate because of their own personal bias/agenda.
Like you pretending that Mourinho didn't actually want Mkhi and/or Fred ?

Siorac

But what is the player that Mourinho generally signs? Is Wesley Sneijder a typical Mourinho player? Is Angel di Maria? Is Mesut Özil? Is he nothing but a puppet of greedy CEOs and forceful sporting directors?

Even if he didn't like Mkhitaryan - he was allowed to replace him! Remind me how well that went.

We really should just move on from Mourinho. We tried, it was a horrible failure that set us back years. Thank feck he didn't get to do more damage with the likes of Willian.

Eleven-Eighteen

Yeah, a distant second: 19pts behind and a disparity in goal difference of 39. Don't fool yourself into thinking that was a genuine title challenge.

Even if Mourinho was backed, I think he still would have crashed and burned as he was already alienating the players and would have lost the dressing room regardless.
Sure. But it was definitely way better than where we are right now. And we can't discount 'better' just because it wasn't 'good enough'

JPRouve

Scout
I genuinely don't think anybody on this forum - ever - has said that United didn't place any bids for Perisic. The question has always been about how hard we tried to get the deal over the line. What it always looked like was that we placed a couple of lowball offers that Inter rightly rebuffed, then increased the bid a bit, but never reached the price that Inter had clearly stated. A little like if this summer we had stopped the Wan Bissaka bidding at £45 million in spite of Place being clear from the start that they were looking for at least £50 million.

Anyway, I think we're done here - I was just interested to see whether you'd do the decent thing and admit you were wrong, but you're clearly not that guy.
The issue is that I said that we tried to sign him and Perisic said that he rejected us, both of these things are factual, so I can't be wrong. The fact that Perisic changed his tune has nothing to do with me and I won't take any sort of responsibility for his own words, now if United didn't try to sign him at all then I will be wrong.

If that makes me "not that guy" then so be it.

Idxomer

The whole Maguire thing is a joke.

Why couldn't he with his vast experience identify Maguire as a target when we met Hull 4 times in 2016-2017 season?
Instead, he went and bought Lindelof for 35m while Maguire and also Robertson left for combined 20m, the latter would've solved his left back problem instead of consistently depending on Ashley young.

Withnail

Sure. But it was definitely way better than where we are right now. And we can't discount 'better' just because it wasn't 'good enough'
That's a separate thing. The question is would we be challenging and that was the point what you were disagreeing with the other poster on.

Don't go moving the goalposts.

Son

We've spent £850mill since Fergie retired, some very expensive free transfers and then throw in that we have the 4th highest wages in football. Mourinho spent £370mill of those £850mill, not to mention his free transfers
Still not enough. Man City have spent a ton more on infrastructure to boot and outspent us on players. Liverpool are a bit of an anomaly.

Granted Mourinho should have bought better with us but he still did ok on the field. Unlike this current side.
Real Madrid are already top of the league under Zidane.
Once Messi returns to fitness watch that change quickly.

Rusholme Ruffian

But what is the player that Mourinho generally signs? Is Wesley Sneijder a typical Mourinho player? Is Angel di Maria? Is Mesut Özil? Is he nothing but a puppet of greedy CEOs and forceful sporting directors?

Even if he didn't like Mkhitaryan - he was allowed to replace him! Remind me how well that went.

We really should just move on from Mourinho. We tried, it was a horrible failure that set us back years. Thank feck he didn't get to do more damage with the likes of Willian.
Well at least we're actually having a conversation now. There's really no need to create straw man arguments though - when have I ever said he was nothing but a puppet?!

Re: Sanchez - I think you would struggle to find anyone that didn't think Sanchez was a great buy. And re: Willian - rumours again this morning that Barca still want to sign him, and similarly I don't think there's any doubt that he would have been a vast improvement on the right wing options that we've had in the last few years.

Rusholme Ruffian

The issue is that I said that we tried to sign him and Perisic said that he rejected us, both of these things are factual, so I can't be wrong. The fact that Perisic changed his tune has nothing to do with me and I won't take any sort of responsibility for his own words, now if United didn't try to sign him at all then I will be wrong.

If that makes me "not that guy" then so be it.
You're missing the point spectacularly. What makes you wrong is the sheer amount of times you have characterised other posters as being 'crazy' or similar for suggesting that there was more to the Perisic situation than him turning United down.

UncleBob

Mate, I'm not pretending anything. I'm raising it as a possibility, and providing some evidence. That's how debate works.
You haven't provided evidence, you've provided a personal opinion with very little substance, we might as well be debating the lizard people. Fred at Shaktar was a player that did very well both in terms of defensive and attacking contributions, a mobile player that could get stuck in as well as provide assists and goals. Considering the type of player we missed in midfield, Mourinho's love for the likes of Makelele and Kante, it's hardly as if it's difficult to imagine that Mourinho liked Fred, a player that could be used in various positions and strategies.

In terms of Mkhis great period at Dortmund, i'm not entirely sure why some don't think he was the right type of player for Mourinho, the perfect player to have in a team that was mainly set up to counter. Excelled at finding space to make himself available for the pass and then assisting or scoring. All we did when he failed was to stick Lingard in the same type of role.

You're confusing how they turned out with why we signed them.

UncleBob

Still not enough. Man City have spent a ton more on infrastructure to boot and outspent us on players. Liverpool are a bit of an anomaly.

Granted Mourinho should have bought better with us but he still did ok on the field. Unlike this current side.

Once Messi returns to fitness watch that change quickly.
You're struggling to keep up with the bullshit claims you are making.

The only anomaly with Liverpool is that they've spent the money well, unlike us.

With the insane amount we've spent, we should be in a much better state.

Jonno

Lets see how many points we end up behind this seasons' winners then.

Rusholme Ruffian

You haven't provided evidence, you've provided a personal opinion with very little substance, we might as well be debating the lizard people. Fred at Shaktar was a player that did very well both in terms of defensive and attacking contributions, a mobile player that could get stuck in as well as provide assists and goals. Considering the type of player we missed in midfield, Mourinho's love for the likes of Makelele and Kante, it's hardly as if it's difficult to imagine that Mourinho liked Fred, a player that could be used in various positions and strategies.

In terms of Mkhis great period at Dortmund, i'm not entirely sure why some don't think he was the right type of player for Mourinho, the perfect player to have in a team that was mainly set up to counter. Excelled at finding space to make himself available for the pass and then assisting or scoring. All we did when he failed was to stick Lingard in the same type of role.

You're confusing how they turned out with why we signed them.
I think you'll find that it is fact that both players had an extended period out of the team whilst Mourinho sought to find a way to use them. How you interpret that is a matter of conjecture obviously, but it is fact nonetheless.

Idxomer

Concerning the question, with even more backing it would've meant more and bigger mistakes at the market and his good buys would be overplayed till they are run into the ground and then the cycle continues without coming close to challenging for anything big, as not only his footballing ideas are out of date at the highest level but also there are more teams and coaches at the lower levels that could expose them consistently.

UncleBob

I think you'll find that it is fact that both players had an extended period out of the team whilst Mourinho sought to find a way to use them. How you interpret that is a matter of conjecture obviously, but it is fact nonetheless.
It's hardly uncommon for managers to sign players and then struggle to use them or don't use them instantly in order for them to settle in, Kagawa anyone ? Keita ?
Fred returned with a injury from the world cup, needed plenty of time to recover properly and it's hardly uncommon that South American players take time to settle in either.

Mkhi wasn't mentally at the level he needed to be at

JPRouve

Scout
You're missing the point spectacularly. What makes you wrong is the sheer amount of times you have characterised other posters as being 'crazy' or similar for suggesting that there was more to the Perisic situation than him turning United down.
Okay I see Perisic lied and I was wrong about him lying.

Withnail

Lets see how many points we end up behind this seasons' winners then.
We didn't nor would we have challenged for a title under Mourinho and we won't mount a serious challenge under Ole either. I don't believe the board really care about a title challenge enough to fully invest in it and back any manager properly. It's all about keeping the ship somewhat afloat while they line their pockets.

UncleBob

We didn't nor would we have challenged for a title under Mourinho and we won't mount a serious challenge under Ole either. I don't believe the board really care about a title challenge enough to fully invest in it and back any manager properly. It's all about keeping the ship somewhat afloat while they line their pockets.
£850mill in transfer fees since Fergie retired, more or less the same as Liverpool, add in insanely expensive free transfers and the 4th highest wage bill in football.

No investment :wenger: