g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

If only... Vidic had stayed

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
DeGea
Rafael Vidic Rojo Shaw
Blind
Mata Herrera Di Maria
Rooney RVP/Falcao

Thats a PL winning team for me

come on Vida, tell Inter your wife hates it in Italy

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We possess a starting eleven of real quality as is. Still think we're probably lacking some depth, but the lack of Champions League and league cup games will help. Chelsea look incredibly strong and appear to have gelled almost immediately, our system will take time to become implemented. The quality is there to challenge for the title though, without Vidic.

Santos J

Nah he's done at that level in my opinion, wouldn't take him over any of our centre halves now. He wouldn't be an improvement to our defence as he's far from what he was at his peak and he's certainly not the missing piece from a title challenge, that'd be a centre half in their prime.

Santos J

seriously? Id take him no problem, if we had a leader like him, we wouldnt be talking about defensive issues
We had defensive issues last season though, obviously we had Moyes too but still, it's not like he was our best centre back last year.

golden_blunder

Staff
We possess a starting eleven of real quality as is. Still think we're probably lacking some depth, but the lack of Champions League and league cup games will help. Chelsea look incredibly strong and appear to have gelled almost immediately, our system will take time to become implemented. The quality is there to challenge for the title though, without Vidic.
Chelsea are effectively only bedding in 2 new players (both top notch buys), we're pretty much a new side so yeah it will take more time for us

Cina

I'm still a little baffled we so willingly let both him and Evra go considering we would still likely be using them for 30+ games a season each.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Shame we couldn't have sacked Moyes in Christmas. Reckon Vidic would still be here, I'd imagine he would be on more money here than Inter (could be wrong though).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Vidic played his entire career without a proper defensive midfielder covering infront of him and the best he had in that department was Carrick. I think if we addressed that issue with a player like De Jong or Blind, he'd still be good for another couple seasons. His aerial ability is still unmatched for a center half and his ability to communicate and organize a defense could be a very good learning experience for the younger players.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I wouldn't mind if both Vidic and Evra stayed for one more season but their departure opened chances for Blackett so there's always good side of bad plus we created space for a future transfer hit in the defensive department that was already confirmed by LVG.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It was a good move for all parties. Much rather we have pace in defense now.

Kag

No. It is right of us to give Smalling and Jones this long-awaited opportunity. If they can't prove either form or fitness this season then it's time to invest in a reliable defender of quality, however, I'm still confident at least one of them can develop into the centre half(s) they were once tipped to be.

Vidic would just hold them back for another year, plus I don't think he is ideally suited to the higher back line that Van Gaal is trying to introduce. We have four good centre halves, we really do. It's about keeping them fit and getting two of them in the XI with regularity. With a balanced team around that then we can look at the back line with more optimism.

A fair few ifs and buts there, but I don't think Vidic is solving them either way.

golden_blunder

Staff
Vidic played his entire career without a proper defensive midfielder covering infront of him and the best he had in that department was Carrick. I think if we addressed that issue with a player like De Jong or Blind, he'd still be good for another couple seasons. His aerial ability is still unmatched for a center half and his ability to communicate and organize a defense could be a very good learning experience for the younger players.
my thoughts exactly

Cina

It was a good move for all parties. Much rather we have pace in defense now.
It really wasn't. We lost our leader and best defender. He could still have played a big part for the team. Evra I can sort of understand going with the arrival of Shaw and the fact that he's guaranteed titles at Juve, but Vidic to a poor Inter side for free? That one still baffles me.

Dr Baltar

I don't think it's the end of the world that he has left but I think he's still better than any of our current centre backs.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Shame we couldn't have sacked Moyes in Christmas. Reckon Vidic would still be here, I'd imagine he would be on more money here than Inter (could be wrong though).
I agree, or certainly not later than the beginning of February, when we still had a chance of top 4. It would have been beneficial to have both Vidic & Evra in the dressing room for another season.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I'm still a little baffled we so willingly let both him and Evra go considering we would still likely be using them for 30+ games a season each.
Don't think we willingly let Vidic go. He chose to reject the contract offered by United and signed for Inter instead because he wanted to jump ship. Not sure what happened with Evra. Read somewhere that he wanted a 2 year extension and wasn't happy with being given only one.

Cina

Don't think we willingly let Vidic go. He chose to reject the contract offered by United and signed for Inter instead because he wanted to jump ship. Not sure what happened with Evra. Read somewhere that he wanted a 2 year extension and wasn't happy with being given only one.
I remain confident that if we truly made the effort he'd still be here.

Or just sacked Moyes earlier.

Jev

We couldn't have competed with Chelsea either way IMO. They have such a complete and strong squad, on paper one of the best of the Premier League era, plus they're already seven points ahead.

The good thing is that despite our horrible start to the season, we're only two points behind City and Spurs and one behind Arsenal and Liverpool. It's too soon to start talking about it after one good game and four lousy ones but if yesterday was the turning point, we do have a squad strong enough to compete for second place barring injuries to Di Maria/Herrera/DDG.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Vidic decided to leave on his own. This was when it looked likely that Moyes would be given another season. By the sounds of it he'd had enough of Moyes.

I think Evra also wanted to leave and in lieu of his fantastic service for us we decided to respect his wishes. Hence the nominal fee.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It really wasn't. We lost our leader and best defender. He could still have played a big part for the team. Evra I can sort of understand going with the arrival of Shaw and the fact that he's guaranteed titles at Juve, but Vidic to a poor Inter side for free? That one still baffles me.
He didn't play well last year and he wasn't much of a leader. His motivation was gone and it was time for a change. By all means mourn the loss of the 07-12 Vidic but that wasn't him.

I think sometimes you have to prune some flowers that are dying to allow others to blossom.

gza the genius

We probably miss his leadership but I don't think he was up to playing at this level anymore. The slower pace of the Italian league will be much better for him. Given our injury problems I would've rather kept him but I think one of Jones or Smalling will be able to step up given a run at center back.

M160RA

What do people think of Blackett? He has played every minute so far...
He gets beaten too easily for my liking. He could have a future here, but I don't think he'll ever be at the level where he should be a regular starter. As Van Gaal mentioned in the post-match interview, Blackett only started because Jones and Smalling are injured and Shaw is still not 100%.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I remain confident that if we truly made the effort he'd still be here.

Or just sacked Moyes earlier.
Can't blame the club for wanting to save money by waiting until top 4 was mathematically impossible. The owners are businessmen after all. Shame that Evra didn't get a proper goodbye.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think he was anywhere near as good as some make out for the past two seasons. People referring to him as our best defender in the last few years? Really? In SAFs last season Rafael was, with Ferdinand the best CB, and in 13/14 I'd say Smalling, when he actually played CB. No doubt he'd be vocal and assertive enough to rally that inexperienced back-line, but I don't think he was good enough to play a big role. I'm more annoyed at letting Evra go.

Cina

He didn't play well last year and he wasn't much of a leader. His motivation was gone and it was time for a change. By all means mourn the loss of the 07-12 Vidic but that wasn't him.

I think sometimes you have to prune some flowers that are dying to allow others to blossom.
Who the feck did?

Using last year's performances as a basis for whether a player still has the desire and motivation here is pointless. It'd be a whole other story right now.

Mad Winger

There seems to be pretty strong indications that Vidic would have stayed if he had known that Moyes would be sacked shortly after. But obviously he's not gonna admit to that, as it wouldn't fly well at his new team.

Cina

Can't blame the club for wanting to save money by waiting until top 4 was mathematically impossible. The owners are businessmen after all. Shame that Evra didn't get a proper goodbye.
True, it's unfortunate. Like I said, I think he'd still be playing a big part if we kept him, so it's a shame we didn't. I'm still unconvinced by that back-line. You really shouldn't let Rio, VIdic and Evra all leave at once and end up with nobody in your back-line over the age of 25/26, but it seemed unavoidable.

I bet he's regretting it a little now though, looking at our new squad.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Who the feck did?

Using last year's performances as a basis for whether a player still has the desire and motivation here is pointless. It'd be a whole other story right now.
He's nearly 33. It was the right time, he's slow as feck and his distribution was terrible. Time to look to the future.

Cina

He's nearly 33. It was the right time, he's slow as feck and his distribution was terrible. Time to look to the future.
Losing Rio and Evra was more than enough for the future, Vidic could've still played a part here.

33 is nothing for a CB.

golden_blunder

Staff
I like Blackett, hes got potential. But i'd rather he learned the trade of someone with an air of authority

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think it's a fair point, he's still better at most if not all defensive skills than all our other CBs.

It seems that he struggles to keep a high line at his age, though, and so the field was stretched on defense as we choose to keep the CBs further back, giving opponents more space.

Against teams like QPR where we don't need a high line, he would undoubtedly be a better option, which alone is a good reason to keep him.

But if we are planning on playing a high line against better teams I think he'd be on the bench.