If only... Vidic had stayed

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I think it was right to leave him go. He was nowhere near as good after the knee injury. He was still great in the air but everything else dropped re markedly, IMO. His distribution got worse and we had to play a really deep defensive line to cover for his lack of pace. Better to give Smalling, Jones and Evans the chance to finally see whether they are up to the task or not.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Vidic's level dropped drastically over the past few years. He became terrible and a liability on the ball, he would not thrive at all in a 3-5-2.

Danillaco

I would love to have him here, but not when he engineered his own move mid season. It was poor form.

He was our captain, and by january was already agreed with Inter. So thanks for the memories, and wish you no harm.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's a tricky one. We were seemingly after an experienced defender all summer, but he did look to be winding down at the top level. Him and Evra sticking around may have seen an easier transition, but from the looks of things lvg was after a clean start anyway. There's little to suggest he wouldn't have told Vidic the same as Rio when he arrived.

revel911

We say this now, but he was terrible last year. I don't know if I trust Evans or Blackett yet, but Smalling and Jones more so.

Blue always red

Vidic's level dropped drastically over the past few years. He became terrible and a liability on the ball, he would not thrive at all in a 3-5-2.
He'd be able to marshal that back line better than anyone we have today and in a back 3 the other 2 would cover up his failings.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I loved Vidic, but he's gone, and I'm looking forward to what the future holds. He was a huge physical presence back there, and nobody in the Premier League, or even the world, comes close to the presence he had. Still, his lack of mobility was becoming more and more apparent in his final 2 seasons. LvG seems to want the centre backs to play quite high up the pitch. Not suicidal Villas-Boas high, but fairly high, and Vidic could struggle there.

Regardless, I think it was time to hand the future to the younger players anyway. We spent a combined £28million on Jones and Smalling, and they've not been given a fair crack of the whip yet. This is Smalling's 5th season with us! And Jones' 4th! And we're still talking about how they've not been given runs in their actual positions. Rio and Vida got the not whenever fit. They should have been established players by now really. Another year of Vidic would be another year of pushing back their development.

A lot of people, United fans and non-United fans, reckon we need to invest more in the defence, but I'm a little glad we didn't. Before we do spend on a top class centre back, I think Jones and Smalling need to show what they can do, and stake a claim on their United futures. There's a fair chance we already have two top class centre backs on our hands. Their injuries are concerning, but both have looked very good when played at centre back. I think both will go on to be top players and England starters, but they just need to stay fit for more than 3 games!

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Not only Vidic, but Evra too. I don't get it.

Vidic would be an automatic starter Evra would have been perfect backup for shaw

thepolice123

He pretty much confirmed this in an interview if you're interested
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-in-my-final-season-at-Manchester-United.html
And there was another story, seemingly nonsensical, that Moyes had taken Vidic and Ferdinand aside in training to tell them how to defend like Phil Jagielka, the centre-half he turned into an England player at Everton.

When asked whether that episode had actually taken place, Vidic was diplomatically non-committal. “It doesn’t matter. Listen, what happens between the players and us stays between the players and us. I am not going to speak about what has happened in my house. You have to understand the person I am. I am the captain. The captain has to be the captain. He has to respect the club, the manager has to respect the club as well. All of us have to understand we are at a club with a big tradition and if you have a problem, this club always will try to keep them in-house.
Vidic answered the question very professionally but from the looks it is true.

The manner which DM has treated Vidic, Rio and Evra has been shocking. All three legends of the club with more than a thousand appearances combined. They weren't even given till the end of the season, it was midway through the season and you'd know they were all going to leave. Vidic, especially, was announced early in the season that he's leaving for Inter at the end of it. When I read the news that day, it brought back memories of Keane's departure. The difference was that Vidic has and always been a loyal servant of the club who had nothing bad to say about us.

beergod

Vidic leaving for Italy was the right move for him and for the club.

ricky-romeo

i would had kept vidic for another season if possible. out of the trio of rio, evra and vidic i think vidic still can contribute the most.

anyway this presents an opportunity for the likes of smalling and jones. just wishing they can stay fit for most of the time.

Moby

Dick
but Evra too. I don't get it.
Really? It was clear that he wasn't good enough defensively to start for us for a good couple of seasons at least, and he didn't want to be a backup to Shaw.

He'd get a load of free league titles at Juve and may even fit well with them playing 3 at the back and letting Evra concentrate on his attacking side which was still class and not worry at the back as much as he had to in a back 4.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
seriously? Id take him no problem, if we had a leader like him, we wouldnt be talking about defensive issues
United have conceded less than Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton.

Are the defensive issues as pronounced as suggested?

On Vidic, he was a leader, but his increasing lack of pace wouldn't have suited LvG - Vida's natural tendency is to retreat and defend the box.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
United have conceded less than Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton.

Are the defensive issues as pronounced as suggested?

On Vidic, he was a leader, but his increasing lack of pace wouldn't have suited LvG - Vida's natural tendency is to retreat and defend the box.
They may have conceded less, but I'd say that's due to the teams they have played so far, nothing else. Anyone with eyes can see we are suspect defensively at the moment. LVG has alluded to it. Vida's organisational skills would bid welcomed

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He wasn't his former self anymore but his former self was a world class defender. Still could've played a decent back up role if he was okay with that.

We're not missing that much I'd say. Also we haven't really seen enough of Rojo to suggest he's a PL winning material defender.

LR7

Vida's leadership at the back is a big loss imo.

Litch

Selective memories. The Vidic that left had become injury prone and equally on the decline. Still a legend. We paid a lot for Smalling and Jones so we need to see whether they are up to it or not.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Vidic played his entire career without a proper defensive midfielder covering infront of him and the best he had in that department was Carrick. I think if we addressed that issue with a player like De Jong or Blind, he'd still be good for another couple seasons. His aerial ability is still unmatched for a center half and his ability to communicate and organize a defense could be a very good learning experience for the younger players.
So Fletcher and Hargreaves were playmakers?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fairly confident Vidic would still be here had we signed Van Gaal immediately after SAF's retirement. The dressing room drama under Moyes surely sealed the deal for him to move on.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shame we couldn't have sacked Moyes in Christmas. Reckon Vidic would still be here, I'd imagine he would be on more money here than Inter (could be wrong though).
If we had sacked Moyes at Christmas we would of potentially arrested the slide and let the board get away another season without spending any proper cash.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
They may have conceded less, but I'd say that's due to the teams they have played so far, nothing else. Anyone with eyes can see we are suspect defensively at the moment. LVG has alluded to it. Vida's organisational skills would bid welcomed
I take your point, but I'd say that all of those teams have shown signs of defensive weakness without the press really jumping on it.

I've got a mate who's an Everton fan and he told me prior to them beating WBA this weekend just gone that they've been a bit of a shambles at the back so far this season. Meanwhile, Liverpool looked really suspect from set pieces against Villa and Chelsea have shipped a lot of goals in quite an un-Mourinhoesque fashion.

You're right that our defence isn't right up to scratch, but we've had a lot of injuries to contend with - having Rafael available again, along with Rojo being added to the fold already gives things a stronger complexion. Hopefully, Jones and Smalling can get, and then stay, fit. Injuries are the biggest impediment to us being strong defensively.

I think having a more solid midfield will also help - defenders have been harshly blamed at times, despite it being clear that they've been hung out to dry by midfielders not doing the basics when opponents are attacking us.

I genuinely feel that Vida had regressed to the point where he was no longer the answer, leader and organiser or not. Whether we could have done with a new big hitting centre half is very much open to debate, but I don't think Vidic was right for how LvG wants to play.

Gerald G

Vidic had become injury prone and declined. His lack of pace was also a big worry. He was still a good defender and his leadership quality is what we'll miss the most in my opinion but I'm fine with him gone. I think he would suit 3 at the back so he gets cover but if we play 2 at the back with a higher line he'l be exposed again.

We might not have top quality centre-backs but I don't think Vidic would have been the answer. We were poor defensively last year with him in the team too. You could say that was just Moyes but he was always on the decline.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If we had sacked Moyes at Christmas we would of potentially arrested the slide and let the board get away another season without spending any proper cash.
I think a slide out of the top 4 would have happened regardless of Moyes. We weren't going to be bringing any quality managers in the middle of the year and I doubt Giggs would have had any impact.

Jonno

He was still a leader and a warrior when it would come to teams crossing the ball - he would win practically everything. But pacey counter-attacks which is where we became so unstuck last season, teams could just run or pass past him with ease.

If we had a genuine world class CB in his mid twenties I think they could have paired up quite well, but we don't, so it was probably right that he left.

Also - the Italian league is perfect for him, they play a slow game with deep defensive lines. It helped Maldini play till he was about 70. Vidic can just stand there and block/head/clear his way through games.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It's a shame Vidic left, especially the way it happened, but every cloud and all that. With Evra and Vidic leaving we have found true gems in Blackett and James. Although I think they would have been used by LvG regardless of Evra and Vidic staying or not. Rojo looks to be a great addition as well. As mentioned above, the Italian league will be more suited to Vidic now and hopefully allow him to extend his career at the top level. I wish him and Evra all the best.

Glanville95

Doesn't concern me at all really. All he would have to offer is his leadership and organisational qualities. He's probably still better than most of our centre backs, but not by a landslide.

revel911

I don't see it, and I see fine? I do think we need Jones and Smalling back ASAP, but I am fine with our 4 centerbacks if we play a back 2. Having Rafael and Rojo/Shawl will help us not leak goals on the sides. Having Blind or Carrick will help us lock out players coming through the center.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm not entirely sure what about Vidic's performances over the past 12 months it is that people think we will miss.

The inability to play a simple pass to a team mate?
The shocking defending directly costing us goals at vital moments of important games?
The repeated, childishly stupid red cards?
Leaving our team slow paced and stretched against even terrible opposition because of his and Rio's refusal not to sit 20 yards too deep all the time and then dwell on the ball like a pair of dithering old women?

He was a great player for us but if anything the mistake was keeping him in the team for too long. Same mistake we made with Scholes, Rio, Evra, and to an extent Giggs.

Instead of leaving on a high, he left after a season of awful performances and basically quitting half way through.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fletcher had 2 good seasons and was more box to box, Hargo had 1/4th. The main midfield pairing in Vidic's time was Carrick & Scholes with Fletcher & Anderson thrown in here and there.
Carrick and Scholes were sitters by that stage and shielding the back 4 pretty well.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
We don't need a 2014 Vidic, but we do have defensive frailties that need to be plugged by a 2008 Vidic. Smalling and Jones could potentially develop into fantastic centre backs, but unless they put their injury curses behind them, their futures at the club need to be reviewed at some point. At least one them really needs to step up this season as I think Evans has reached his peak and won't get better than his current level (by which I don't mean his current poor form) and I'm not sure about Rojo's qualities as a CB purely because I haven't seen that much of him there. But unless one of Smalling and Jones is able to stay injury free and really make that CB position their own, we need to buy eventually. The only thing keeping Vidic would have resolved is the lack of leadership in our back line.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
... this would not have happened.

A bit of experience (and physicality!) was very much needed today to prevent a total collapse like that.

Sam

Vidic, like Evra and Rio was past it, and needed replacing. The problem is, we didn't bother replacing him.