If rumours are true, will the new boss be given as much time as Sir Alex was

Nialler

Alex's Dad
when he first joined? Would we as fans settle for a few trophyless years in order to allow a new boss to settle in properly? Or has football changed so completely that imminent success is a modern requirement taking everything into consideration?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
No he wont be given as much time and no the fans wouldnt settle for a couple of trophyless years. Unfortunately we have all been spoiled by Fergie.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Surely the clubs in a better position than when SAF joined? A top manager shouldn't need as much time.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The key thing will be to finish 4th. If the manager does that then the hierarchy will persist with a couple of barren years despite restlessness from the fans.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It'd probably depend how close we are to the trophies still. If we dropped out the top 3 and didn't reach any semi's I'd shit.

Liam147

On Probation
While the new manager won't be allowed to go four years without a trophy, United weren't the same superpower they are today. Four seasons with this team is much worse than four seasons with that one.

One trophyless season would be acceptable as long as there wasn't a massive decline. Two would be pushing it unless serious improvements were being made. Three would almost certainly seal the deal.

Depends on who it is too. I dare say Mourinho would be given more time than a lesser experienced manager.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A new manager would never be given the same time SAF had, I think he'd have to win a trophy in his first couple of seasons at the club. There's just too much pressure from fans, journalists and owners these days to give a manager the correct amount of time to build a squad that challenges for the long-term.

I also think a person like Jose would get more leeway with fans and the press than someone like Moyes.

AttackingFlair

How would people feel if we played attractive football but didn't win for a while?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'd give anyone a minimum of two years barring a complete and utter meltdown where he relegated us.

Horrible job to come to.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
its like hearing an old lad reminiscing about the war I know, but I remember the barren years under Doherty, Sexton and Big Fat Ron. I was only a young lad at the time but my awareness of football had begun to develop at that stage. Most fans now born after 1980 will probably only remember Sir Alex as our manager so it will be a bit more of a shock to their system considering the years of succes they have been "spoiled" with. Interesting times ahead.

Revan

Assumptionman
Of course he won't given. United are a much better and bigger club than when SAF took it. The maximum I can see without winning the league (or Champions in case we fail in league) is three years. If he can't finish four, he'll get sacked immediately.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
A decline would/will be inevitable - it really hasn't been stressed enough just how incredible the club's recent success has been up against not just one but two teams with unlimited funds. To be able to compete against them, and actually do better is an unbelievable achievement. No other club has managed to hang with them - Arsenal haven't come close to competing with them, Liverpool have disappeared off the map entirely, and Spurs have had their progress forward blocked by those two sugar daddies taking the Champions League opportunities needed for a club like Spurs to make advances.

The major (arguably sole) reason for that is Sir Alex Ferguson in my view. I can't imagine any manager being able to step in and seamlessly keep the club at this level against two clubs with impossible resources. We have to be patient with his eventual successor, to give the next guy time to develop the club like Sir Alex has in his own image in order to compete with Roman and Mansour.

In practice I doubt that time will be afforded.

RK

If we get Mourinho or a name which the fans respect, possibly. If we get Moyes, the booing would start by November and it would quickly become untenable
I (and many others) have far more respect for Moyes than Mourinho, don't generalise.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I (and many others) have far more respect for Moyes than Mourinho, don't generalise.
thats a good point but what about the current players at the team, who do you think they'd respect/fear more and who do you think would be better at attracting top names to the club? There are so many things to be taken into consideration, like who would have the cajones to tackle the job properly, the authority to demand respect from his squad and make thyem play for him with the same passion as they played for Sir Alex. Firstly I'd hate to be the one making the ultimate decision and secondly I'd hate to be the one who ultimately gets the job as the pressure will be bigger than anything we've ever witnessed at this club.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'd give anyone a minimum of two years barring a complete and utter meltdown where he relegated us.

Horrible job to come to.
Did you see how exciting the Championship was Saturday? Why wouldn't we want to be in that league?

:p

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I can't speak for the board who make the decisions, but as far as the fans go...

Can you imagine if a new manager doesn't sort out the midfield? He'll be hounded out of Old Trafford in no time. Time is not really a luxury Ferguson's successor will have. I think it's a bit of a poison chalice to be honest... We'll have to support and back any new manager, but the reality is anything he does will be pale in comparison to Sir Alex's achievements.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I'm still trying to bend my head round the extent of the shitstorm from the media that any successor to Fergie would be on the end of. It's going to be absolutely mental. Think David De Gea x 1436356746765746865.

I just don't see how anyone other than Mourinho could deal with that and even with him I wonder. If the next person comes in and seamlessly slips into the role of carrying on where Fergie left off, well...that will be one of the most impressive things I'll ever see a manager do.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If it's Moyes then it'd be a very wise idea to appoint someone like Giggs or Scholes as their assistant. It'd buy them time and get a large part of the fanbase behind them wanting them to succeed, as opposed to waiting for them to feck up so they can give them shit.

Dominos

Top 3 and a reasonable run in the cups should be the standard/minimum. If we get any good manager in that should be easily achievable with the league in it's current state and the strength of the squad.

No chance Fergie leaves this summer though surely? He's definitely been planning for next year and we've not sounded out either Pep or Jose to prepare to make a move, so the club certainly didn't know about it.. Maybe he's received some strong advice recently regarding the surgery/health issue and feels he has to make a drastic decision. Would still be very surprised if it's true.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Forget time the real question is: will they be given the war chest!!!

Andrew~

Definitely wouldn't. The manager would have to be a complete monkey to not do well with the squad SAF has amassed here, which only needs a few tweeks to be up there with the best teams in the world.

Does someone like Moyes have the skill to maintain the same performance levels or even increase them from what SAF has managed? Definitely not. Mourinho with Gary Neville as assistant for me!

Platato

Psst!
its like hearing an old lad reminiscing about the war I know, but I remember the barren years under Doherty, Sexton and Big Fat Ron. I was only a young lad at the time but my awareness of football had begun to develop at that stage. Most fans now born after 1980 will probably only remember Sir Alex as our manager so it will be a bit more of a shock to their system considering the years of succes they have been "spoiled" with. Interesting times ahead.
Interesting times indeed. Can't fault the fans who have experienced nothing but success. No matter how mentally prepared they are, it will still be some shock to their systems.

Cevno

"The quality of the squad, the composition of that squad, means that any new manager coming in will inherit a great squad of players," Gill said in an interview with The Associated Press. "And yes he may, whenever that is ... clearly want to bring in one or two of his own people, new players.

"But he won't want to change the squad wholesale because he won't be our manager. We've got to be consistent with that and that's what we are planning on."

Comments from David Gill 2 weeks ago.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=dwusQMty

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Cevno what are you doing?
Cevno shtaaaaap!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Definitely wouldn't. The manager would have to be a complete monkey to not do well with the squad SAF has amassed here, which only needs a few tweeks to be up there with the best teams in the world.

Does someone like Moyes have the skill to maintain the same performance levels or even increase them from what SAF has managed? Definitely not. Mourinho with Gary Neville as assistant for me!
I'm pretty sure Moyes could take this squad to domestic success again in the coming seasons. I don't think there's any manager that could immediately guarantee European success. No manager alive could get more from this set of players than SAF.

Andrew~

I'm pretty sure Moyes could take this squad to domestic success again in the coming seasons. I don't think there's any manager that could immediately guarantee European success. No manager alive could get more from this set of players than SAF.
I don't really see what basis you have for assuming he could do it. He has no experience in title run ins, and might fail to galvanise the squad because of the fact that he has a very pragmatic footballing style and not very advanced tactical knowledge.

It might be heresy on here, but I think Mourinho (or the likes of Klopp) would bring in some new ideas to augment what's already there and improve the team beyond what they showed this season.

redpie

"The quality of the squad, the composition of that squad, means that any new manager coming in will inherit a great squad of players," Gill said in an interview with The Associated Press. "And yes he may, whenever that is ... clearly want to bring in one or two of his own people, new players.

"But he won't want to change the squad wholesale because he won't be our manager. We've got to be consistent with that and that's what we are planning on."

Comments from David Gill 2 weeks ago.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=dwusQMty
The budget/safe option is Moyes with perhaps a Fellaini thrown in to sweeten the deal and SAF still at the club in an honoury role as insurance.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I don't really see what basis you have for assuming he could do it. He has no experience in title run ins, and might fail to galvanise the squad because of the fact that he has a very pragmatic footballing style and not very advanced tactical knowledge.

It might be heresy on here, but I think Mourinho (or the likes of Klopp) would bring in some new ideas to augment what's already there and improve the team beyond what they showed this season.
Where have you go that from?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
May depend on who the new manager is and how far away from trophies we look to be. If things are looking up and the manager is trying to rebuild the team in a new image 2 to 4 seasons could be given.

My thoughts on who I see taking over, in no particular order

Jose (if he can reach a separation deal with RM and if he secretly still holds a grudge against Abramovich he could tell Chelsea to feck off)
Moyes
Klopp (especially if Dortmund have to sell more than just Gotze)
Ole
Phelan (shorts and all)
Rafa (not sure who would shit themselves more us or the RAWKites)

Two joke candidates aside, my dark horse candidates would be AVB (if Spurs fail to make CL and Levy sells Bale).

Can't see an explayer like Giggs stepping into his first managing job at United.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Watching Everton?
Watching Everton over-perform for a decade shows Moyes is poor tactically.. :houllier:

You've just pulled that from your arse. What should Everton be doing differently?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
There is a very stark difference between being 'not very advanced' and 'poor' tactically.
Yeah that's largely irrelevant, the context you said it in was clearly negative. But more importantly you haven't a clue on how he is tactically, you've just said he's not advanced based on sod all. Given the performances he gets out of an average Everton squad then its far more likely that he is good tactically.

Answer the edit, what should Everton be doing differently in terms of tactics?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Context is everything here.

Firstly you compare the quality and state of the team now to when Sir Alex first arrived at the club, as well as the standard of threat posed by rivals.

Secondly add to that what said successor does with the squad inherited and the resources at his disposal.

So long as we are at least treadign water and signs of hope exist, two seasons without difficulty.

Andrew~

Yeah that's largely irrelevant, the context you said it in was clearly negative. But more importantly you haven't a clue on how he is tactically, you've just said he's not advanced based on sod all.

Answer the edit, what should Everton be doing differently in terms of tactics?
It was negative, obviously. You're asking a very big question because there are a lot of things Everton could be doing better. But I guess at the base of it all is that they're just not a very well coached or organised team. The way they attack is very disjointed, which means they end up putting a disproportionate emphasis on direct balls to Fellaini or Anichebe when they have decent ball players like Mirallas and Pienaar. Defensively, their tactics aren't particularly sophisticated either, but I guess Moyes deserves credit for being able to identify the opponents' key players and putting Fellaini on them...