If rumours are true, will the new boss be given as much time as Sir Alex was

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I can't see a new boss getting much time, at least not from a large portion of fans. United has grown a lot under SAF, to the point where we expect a certain level. The new manager would have to keep us at that level, not necessarily winning trophys. But fans would be expecting to at least be up there challenging for the title, progressing in the champions league etc. If they are not doing that, fans will be getting on their backs and looking for them to get sacked.

NoLogo

It depends I think. If we see that the manager has a clear vision and football philosophy and it shows in how we play I would def give him 3 seasons for his first title, maybe even more.

I think it also depends on how we end up in the league, if we end up below CL places it will be hard for a new manger to last more then 2 seasons but if we only miss out on the title by a few points each season I think people will keep the faith to a certain point, well at least I hope they will.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
As long as the right types of players are signed, there is visible progress in the way we play and we're in the top 4.. I'd be willing to be very patient 3-4 years. If at any time it got very Arsenal and there was a dead end with wrong calibre of player being signed.. then questions would need to be asked.

Annahnomoss

That is a very difficult question and it would be hugely related to how big transfer budget the new manager gets. Fergie has kept a 40-50 m per year maximum and if the new manager continues that trend he would of course be given a lot of time to acclimate himself.

However if it is a manager who requests larger transfer budgets, wastes it and still doesn't see short term glory then of course he will be judged differently.

I think that part of Fergusons low transfer budget was set out by himself to ease the next manager in to the club. Probably the club will have a quite hefty "transition-budget" ready due to how many years we got to prepare for Fergies retirement. I can see us signing 3 top players just to allow the next manager to build his own team which will help us all get that instant momentum forward we will need after Fergie.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Win or lose, Mourinho would be gone within five seasons whether we liked it or not.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Let Giggs and the Nevilles take over. They know the club, talk a great game, and most importantly spent their live learning from Sir Alex.

Jaap

Putting all negative aspects aside, a new manager would definitely also bring a new philosophy, concept, tactical approach to the club.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I could survive a couple of trophyless seasons as long as we stay in the top 4 and look like we aren't too far from whoever leads at the time provided it means stability in the long term.

Castia

I can't see us sacking them after 1 season but they will be judged over 2 years in my opinion. If Moyes comes in I feel he will have a lot of fans on his back if he doesn't win a trophy in his first year.
fecking Moyes, it's already pissing me off thinking he's going to be manager.

Castia

Putting all negative aspects aside, a new manager would definitely also bring a new philosophy, concept, tactical approach to the club.
With somebody like Klopp or Mourinho yeah. With Moyes though? I wouldn't expect us to start playing any new style of football anytime soon.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How would people feel if we played attractive football but didn't win for a while?
IMO it's easy to set up the team to play attacking football (specially with our lineups), but if it doesnt get trophy, it'll be close to useless.

Barcelona are playing beautiful while winning, but nobody would give Liverpool a flying feck even if they mastered tiki-taka while stranded in midtable.

Beautiful play only gets into the equation and praised when they're actually coupled with wins, nobody remembered a loser who plays beautiful sadly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Regardless of what the fans want the manager that follows will get no time to deliver success. The Glazer marketing machine thrives on success.

United are able to get the big money corporate deals because the biggest companies want to be associated with the most successful clubs. When United lift a trophy they want their name on the shirt, their make on the kit, their advertising boards in the background when the players do a lap of honour. If we stop winning advertisers won't be able to get that from us anymore and it will impact the business side of things and the Glazers won't have that.

After Fergie I see us destined to become the kind of club many of us have liked to mock: one season without the title=fire the manager. We have been spoiled with Fergie, the future will show how much.

RedRover

Surely the clubs in a better position than when SAF joined? A top manager shouldn't need as much time.
Thats the point for me.

Any decent manager should be coming in and challenging for trophies. SImple as that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
IMO

New manager to first : Maintain our domination and challenge for trophy, and secondly slowly integrating and maintaining youth development, not otherwise.

The aim is to win trophies at the end of the day, and blooding youngster is just a sweet bragging bonus. With our domination, we can attract youngster and prosper, if it is the other way around.... take a look at Arsenal

Brightonian

I'd like to see a new man given three seasons, with the only condition being continued qualification for the Champions League, before anyone even considers firing him. That's how long he should have to get the trophy ball rolling again.

It's not as long as Fergie got, true, but this is a different era and he'll be inheriting a successful team, not one that needs building.

It's certainly longer than almost any other big club would allow, but then Fergie is living proof that patience pays off. We mustn't underestimate how much of a hole is going to be left when the boss leaves, and can't expect the trophy train to trundle on uninterrupted. The new guy will need time. Whoever it is - even Moyes - you won't catch me calling for their head at least until a few seasons have passed.

Of course, it's probably all bullshit.

LR7

Sacking managers left right and centre like Chelsea would be a disaster. The club has be so stable for so many years. That level of instability would surely affect the Glazers floatation of the club.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Hopefully the new gaffer would incorperate the existing backroom staff we have. Obviously he'd have his own assistant manager, but the likes of Rene, Eric Steele, Tony Strudwick etc. That will help ease the transition too and give us some stability. Someone coming in and trying to make their mark and do things their way asap would only end up as complete disaster.

Atleast 3 seasons is needed aswell. We are of course going to scrutinise results 100 times more, he wouldnt have the trust and respect Fergie had after a bad result or bad season.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I'm not convinced that Moyes is the correct man for the job, as good a job he's done for Everton over the years. However, the key is that whoever they choose they stick by him.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Sacking managers left right and centre like Chelsea would be a disaster. The club has be so stable for so many years. That level of instability would surely affect the Glazers floatation of the club.
I can't see the Glazers sacking people every year. The next manager will be here for two at least regardless of results and will be given time at board level. It is the fan level I'm worried about if things start to go wrong.