If ten Hag was sacked tonight, who would you have as an interim?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Looking at points per game is more definitive than any other stat for league success. This isn't even a debate - it's objective fact.
You can talk about the XG and shots and all that stuff but it's all secondary to the above.
The best manager always wins the league every season, worst manager always finishes bottom. Got it.

AndySmith1990

Ok, fantastic I'm glad we agreed that Jose, ETH and Ole had "achievements". Those achievements were menial at best. All of their tenures were shite. You pick who you preferred the most? For me, it's probably Ole tbh even though I don't think he was remotely successful. If Jose wasn't a cnut it would be him.

I just detest the Ole fanboys though. So fecking tedious.
All fanboys are tedious in general

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Points per game or league position? If it's just black or white then why even bother with PPG when you have league position. The ultimate truth is league position
Getting more points per game and landing in a similar league position tells you it's harder in that particular season to get to the same level, or above, no?
By the way if Ten Hag lands up 7th and he gets sacked I don't have any problem.

Keep it up

Leftback99

But you obsessively defend him because you DON'T think he was good? Weird way to spend your time.

And yes, you've regularly been called out ffs :lol:
I love how any mention of him still winds you up so much and you have to jump on it like clockwork.

I only ever defended that he did a decent job, had us punching at our squad quality weight rather than well below it like Ten Hag. When he didn't he got sacked. Simple as that.

Again, called out on what? Being right?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I love how any mention of him still winds you up so much and you have to jump on it like clockwork.

I only ever defended that he did a decent job, had us punching at our squad quality weight rather than well below it like Ten Hag. When he didn't he got sacked. Simple as that.

I didn't know one good season sandwiched between scraping through Leicester to make top 4 and and spiralling into a sack was punching above our weight. Tell me more.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Getting more points per game and landing in a similar league position tells you it's harder in that particular season to get to the same level, or above, no?
By the way if Ten Hag lands up 7th and he gets sacked I don't have any problem.
So was league easier to win in 1999 or 2011? Without checking Im sure we had more points in 2011 than 1999.

Each season is different, if team is getting more points but end up in similar league position, it might be because teams above them are also good or the bottom teams are even worse who just give up points with ease. So easy to accumulate points.

So no, points across seasons shouldn't be compared, if we do that we will end up saying 2011 and 2018 are same and better than 1999. Every season should be considered as stand alone, league position says their performance relatively to other teams, which is the most important metric if you want to be black or white and don't want to see any other metric.

As poor as Ole's end was, they bite on this because they all said we'd do far better under a different manager and have been proved horribly wrong.
Well we did win a cup the following season & finish with more points than Ole ever managed, so not exactly all wrong.

Ole was so fecking terrible those romanticising all want to pretend his 3rd season didn’t happen and are delighted to harp on about his 2 seasons of 66 points and 74 points.

So yeah, when he was shit, he was fecking terrible. When he was good, he was average as feck. His greatest successes have been bettered by multiple managers post Fergie and all of them were still shit.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

I'll leave you be. Your lack of self awareness is staggering.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So was league easier to win in 1999 or 2011? Without checking Im sure we had more points in 2011 than 1999.

Each season is different, if team is getting more points but end up in similar league position, it might be because teams above them are also good or the bottom teams are even worse who just give up points with ease. So easy to accumulate points.

So no, points across seasons shouldn't be compared, if we do that we will end up saying 2011 and 2018 are same and better than 1999. Every season should be considered as stand alone, league position says their performance relatively to other teams, which is the most important metric if you want to be black or white and don't want to see any other metric.
I think if youre looking across time periods where the entire dynamic has changed then it's not as comparable. But if youre comparing across say, 3 seasons and noting that the team whilst performing badly still racks up more points per game than their predecessor 3 seasons ago, it's a valuable metric of comparison.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Both, how can you go at Ole for counter attacking football and then worship the most defensive manager? FFS it's not really that hard.

And then to defend EtH who averaged less possession than Ole, go on.
When i had a single post about defending ETH? I think you confused me with someone about him. Maybe last year when he had decent first season. This year is a disaster and he needs to be sacked.

I don't defend Jose. Jose's bus was hard to watch but there are two things which i defend here;
1) Jose was defensive as the same as Ole was. Our only manager who didn't play defensive football in big games and away games in general, was LVG. True, he tried to bore them to death but he didn't park the bus ever.
2) Jose won stuff. In football and especially in Man Utd, trophies are something which counts. Ole won nothing and in that famous final he showed why. He is just tactically inept.

So, the thing which annoys me is this BS how (by some strange subjective criteria) Ole was better than Jose. No, he wasn't. Not even close.

pacifictheme

I wouldn't have ole back for his own sake as much as anything. Even as caretaker.

I would be slightly tempted by mourinho until the end of the summer, the motivation he would have to beat guardiola in the fa cup he may just get it done.

Havak

Pokemon master
I really do think I'd give it to Ole. There would be feel-good vibes, the fans would be on side, and we'll get that bounce in the league which might be enough to finish 6th. But it would be more about the FA Cup Final - he has a decent enough record against Pep and could set us up in a way to have a chance in that match. To me, the reason you change the manager now and not at the end of the season is to win the FA Cup. Because I don't particularly think we can beat City playing the way we are playing, and I don't foresee EtH changing his gameplan for the final.

Unless the manager they expect to be the next permanent manager is already available, then you need to pick an interim to be exactly that. Ole is extremely logical and the mistake of giving him the permanent role wouldn't be repeated.

Mourinho is another option, but I just don't see that calibre of manager (even if his stock is at its lowest) taking an interim job anywhere for just a handful of games. I think someone like Ole would as he is after his next job and maybe wouldn't mind jumping back in to something short-term to dust off the cobwebs.

roonster09

Scout
Ehhhhhhh, strawman much? This is a very broad view mate: If the next man fails, are the people who wanted ETH sacked going to be proved "horribly wrong"? What a fecking weird way to look at things
Strawman? So asking if someone made some post that you clearly made up is strawman?

If people keep pretending our squad is awesome and it's only EtH is holding us back, with new manager we will be awesome then yes, these people will be proved horribly wrong again. Nothing to do with sacking or not sacking, it's about identifying and pointing out issues rather than blaming it all on one person.

roonster09

Scout
I think if youre looking across time periods where the entire dynamic has changed then it's not as comparable. But if youre comparing across say, 3 seasons and noting that the team whilst performing badly still racks up more points per game than their predecessor 3 seasons ago, it's a valuable metric of comparison.
Liverpool racked up 90+ points and then struggled to finish top 4 next season, that's why every season is different and ppg across seasons is not a metric to be used. Also you can't just randomly put a time line for seasons, other 19 teams don't stay exactly same. Every team change season to season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Liverpool racked up 90+ points and then struggled to finish top 4 next season, that's why every season is different and ppg across seasons is not a metric to be used. Also you can't just randomly put a time line for seasons, other 19 teams don't stay exactly same. Every team change season to season.
Correct. They had an injury crisis. Wonder if that affected us too.

roonster09

Scout
When i had a single post about defending ETH? I think you confused me with someone about him. Maybe last year when he had decent first season. This year is a disaster and he needs to be sacked.

I don't defend Jose. Jose's bus was hard to watch but there are two things which i defend here;
1) Jose was defensive as the same as Ole was. Our only manager who didn't play defensive football in big games and away games in general, was LVG. True, he tried to bore them to death but he didn't park the bus ever.
2) Jose won stuff. In football and especially in Man Utd, trophies are something which counts. Ole won nothing and in that famous final he showed why. He is just tactically inept.

So, the thing which annoys me is this BS how (by some strange subjective criteria) Ole was better than Jose. No, he wasn't. Not even close.
I don't know whether you defend Ole, Jose or EtH. It's just funny to have a go at Ole saying all he knew was counter attacking football when the manager before him and after him played exactly that, the manager after him only he knows what kind of football he plays .

Yes Jose won cup which was very good, at least tell that reason instead of coming up with "He only knows defense and counter attacking football"

Robbie Boy

If people keep pretending our squad is awesome and it's only EtH is holding us back, with new manager we will be awesome then yes, these people will be proved horribly wrong again. Nothing to do with sacking or not sacking, it's about identifying and pointing out issues rather than blaming it all on one person.
Yeah, we have multiple issues... I know this.

The strawman was you implying I insinuated that a poster said that Ole shouldn't be sacked... No one was proved "horribly wrong" because ETH didn't work out. Underperforming managers should be sacked. The next man failing doesn't exonerate his predecessor.

We've clearly moved into new territory here and I have no idea what you're arguing with me about anymore, to be completely honest. Is there a certain viewpoint I have that you don't like?

It's weird because I've always thought you were a grand poster. But you seem really wound up over.... well I don't really know.

roonster09

Scout
And by that fecking ridiculous, clueless rationale, we shouldn't sack ETH. You never know, the new man may not get "3rd place, 3 finals and a Cup".
Yeah, we have multiple issues... I know this.

The strawman was you implying I insinuated that a poster said that Ole shouldn't be sacked... No one was proved "horribly wrong" because ETH didn't work out. Underperforming managers should be sacked. The next man failing doesn't exonerate his predecessor.

We've clearly moved into new territory here and I have no idea what you're arguing with me about anymore to be completely honest. Is there a certain viewpoint I have that you don't like?

It's weird because I've always thought you were a grand poster. But you seem really wound up over.... well I don't really know.
OK

With all due respect, I couldn't care less if you think I was a good poster or a poor one, if your feeling got hurt because someone defended Ole or asked for clarification on the post you made.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ok, fantastic I'm glad we agreed that Jose, ETH and Ole had "achievements". Those achievements were menial at best. All of their tenures were shite. You pick who you preferred the most? For me, it's probably Ole tbh even though I don't think he was remotely successful. If Jose wasn't a cnut it would be him.

I just detest the Ole fanboys though. So fecking tedious.
Ole didn't have any achievements. Trophy is objective achievement which counts. Everything else is mainly subjective. In that terms "most shots on target" or "most away goals" can be achievement.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

It's clear the poster hates Jose with a passion - I don't think he'd budge on a view that Jose was better than Ole.

roonster09

Scout
That injuries concentrated in defence can decimate the way a team plays.
Did Liverpool change the way they played? No. It's just that they didn't get the results.

We had 9 first team players against Coventry and shat pants whenever they attacked. It's not injuries that decimated the way everyone thought we would be playing, it's the tactical set up, lack of quality player and stubborn manager.

roonster09

Scout
Ole didn't have any achievements. Trophy is objective achievement which counts. Everything else is mainly subjective. In that terms "most shots on target" or "most away goals" can be achievement.
How can league position not objective ffs

roonster09

Scout
It's clear the poster hates Jose with a passion - I don't think he'd budge on a view that Jose was better than Ole.
Im sure you both love Jose and hate Ole with passion, no wonder you keep making excuses for whatever little Ole has achieved.

Robbie Boy

OK

With all due respect, I couldn't care less if you think I was a good poster or a poor one, if your feeling got hurt because someone defended Ole or asked for clarification on the post you made.
Yes "by that clueless, ridiculous rationale".... In other words, I'm saying it's ridiculous to insinuate anybody got something "horribly wrong" because they wanted an underperforming manager sacked. Just like no one will be "horribly wrong" that wants ETH sacked, if the next man is a dud.

Ok, from your second paragraph I can see that you're clearly wound up. I've honestly no idea why. Your reading of my posts has been awful or, maybe you just want to argue for the sake of it. BTW, I love Ole. Just hate the mental gymnastics about his tenure.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Im sure you both love Jose and hate Ole with passion, no wonder you keep making excuses for whatever little Ole has achieved.
I don't hate Ole. I really like Ole. I just know that he was no way near qualified to be a coach or manager for us.

I like Ole a ton more than I like Jose, but I know Jose was a better manager for us, like it or lump it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did Liverpool change the way they played? No. It's just that they didn't get the results.
I didn't say they changed the way they play. I'm saying the way they played decimated (i.e. it was no way near as impactful and they had next to no impetus on games). Which is not surprising given a functioning defence is the foundation of a team, be it attacking or defensive focused.
We had 9 first team players against Coventry and shat pants whenever they attacked. It's not injuries that decimated the way everyone thought we would be playing, it's the tactical set up, lack of quality player and stubborn manager.
That's fair, but we aren't talking about an isolated game.

roonster09

Scout
Yes "by that clueless, ridiculous rationale".... In other words, I'm saying it's ridiculous to insinuate anybody got something "horribly wrong" because they wanted an underperforming manager sacked. Just like no one will be "horribly wrong" that wants ETH sacked, if the next man is a dud.

Ok, from your second paragraph I can see that you're clearly wound up. I've honestly no idea why. Your reading of my posts has been awful or, maybe you just want to argue for the sake of it. BTW, I love Ole. Just hate the mental gymnastics about his tenure.
You are just twisting what @Leftback99 said and for some weird reason think others can't read or wound up.

Good day.

roonster09

Scout
Is league position achievement? For Crystal Palace maybe. For United, Liverpool, Real.....not.
How can league position not an achievement for the club that never challenged for the league in a decade.

Also whether you count that as an achievement is different argument, league position is not subjective. It's the factual information.

Robbie Boy

Weird that you say this after doing exactly that from last 30 mins.
It's honestly not my fault your understanding of really basic English isn't great mate. What I said was very obvious? I've then went to the bother of clarifying it for you. Yet, here we are...

I've tried to deesculate this a-few times now, but your hostility is bordering on weird tbh. I'm still not sure what your issue is but happy to clarify anything further.

Leftback99

I didn't know one good season sandwiched between scraping through Leicester to make top 4 and and spiralling into a sack was punching above our weight. Tell me more.
Maybe learn to read first.