If the Glazers decided to stay, would our fans riot or just carry on?

Sir Erik ten Hag

Title is self-explained. Would there be riot and constant harsh protests after the Glazers have ramped up people's expectation and then backtrack? Or there would be just some green-and-gold waving during matches, with the Old Trafford capacity being filled as normal?

maximus419

There would be a protest but I doubt there would be much point. For starters, the Glazer family are rarely in the UK, so protests and riots arent going to be felt by them.

Also, the govt recently passed far stricter laws around protests and the tougher sentencing and beefing up of anti protest laws means the police would be clamping down and dishing out a lot more punishments than fans have gotten away with before. Is it really worth getting a beating off the police and a lengthy prison sentence for the sake of a football club that lost its soul years ago!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The whole point of protests is to bring changes for the better.

If the team and club move forward with the new owners despite Glazers being part of the new setup and fans see progression there would not be any need or reason to protest.

Imperious

There’s no reason to riot. Just stop watching games or going to games. That stops the money and hits the glazers where it hurts.

ROFLUTION

Title is self-explained. Would there be riot and constant harsh protests after the Glazers have ramped up people's expectation and then backtrack? Or there would be just some green-and-gold waving during matches, with the Old Trafford capacity being filled as normal?
To answer this, you need to explain whether you mean if Glazers stay as a minor shareholder under Sir Jim Ratcliffe or if it's Glazers who just stay in the current form. There's probably a big difference in protests.

Sir Erik ten Hag

To answer this, you need to explain whether you mean if Glazers stay as a minor shareholder under Sir Jim Ratcliffe or if it's Glazers who just stay in the current form. There's probably a big difference in protests.
Stay in current form.

Lyng

The whole point of protests is to bring changes for the better.

If the team and club move forward with the new owners despite Glazers being part of the new setup and fans see progression there would not be any need or reason to protest.
Pretty much this. Quite a lot, myself included, are not exactly super positive about the idea of Jim and the Glazers being the future of this club, but if it ends up being the case I think most United fans will give Ineos a fair chance to prove they can do better than their track record.

LARulz

Just carry on. I don't see another super League type disruption happening

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
There would be a protest but I doubt there would be much point. For starters, the Glazer family are rarely in the UK, so protests and riots arent going to be felt by them.

Also, the govt recently passed far stricter laws around protests and the tougher sentencing and beefing up of anti protest laws means the police would be clamping down and dishing out a lot more punishments than fans have gotten away with before. Is it really worth getting a beating off the police and a lengthy prison sentence for the sake of a football club that lost its soul years ago!
The government passed these laws to deter protests against how poorly they run the company and the people into the ground with rising costs and increasing the retiring age. I don’t think riots will be the main objective but will inevitably follow in the protest that begins. Match postponements will happen again due to fans blocking entrances not allowing players into the ground. They glazers have done themselves no favours in how they have handled the takeover so far either, dragging it on for this long shows that the preferred bidder is SJ or they would have ended it and accepted SJR bid last month.

Tarrou

Fans will 100% protest but it will likely make no difference

few big signings and the cycle continues…

Von Mistelroum

Just carry on I think. There would be a bit of protesting (although that might soon be illegal anyway) and a lot of green and gold among certain supporters but then it would be back to normal.

ifightdragons

The "only" things that could push owners like the Glazers out would be either:

a) Mass boycott of at least 5-10 home games in a row. And I do mean an almost empty Old Trafford. Sponsors and the Premier League as a commercial product would see this as very damaging. This will never happen. Our fanbase is simply way too divided to even organize the smallest of boycotts. Old Trafford has been packed to the brim every time these boycotts have been tried. The '58 protest group do what they can, but it's just a drop in the ocean.

b) Preventing several home games in a row being played by invading Old Trafford, much like the Liverpool protests a few years back. This would eventually force the FA to punish United economically or with points deductions. Sponsors would also hate this. It's not very likely this would happen, because the police will be much more forceful than last time. It would surely end in violence and severe punishments for protesters and the club. I see this as the most viable option, since it already happened once. But I have no faith it could be done again and again until it forces them out. If riots get way out of hand, the government would eventually be forced to dispatch the military.

c) If United gets relegated. It would likely result in a massive ramp-up in protests, or it would simply drastically lower the dividends the Glazers could extract from the club. Not to mention the massive drop-off from sponsors. But this is as likely to happen as Luton to qualify for the Champions League.

So short answer: No.

It's not very likely in the slightest that our deeply divided fanbase will be able to push the Glazers out. They don't give a toss about fans chanting anti-Glazer songs. And the media already seems bored talking about it. It gets a mention, and the fan channels do talk about it. But the Glazers aren't bothered, evidenced by their nerve to show up at recent finals willy-nilly.

Last edited:

fps

Riot where? At what? This is what globalisation does. Expect a meme apocalypse at worst.

Reactions: Fortitude

cheekybackheel

They would just carry on.

The best way to protest is financially and just not turn up at games or buy the new kit, but it wont happen. People will plod along to games and buy merch.
It would need to be a wholesale effort by say, the season ticket holders at the Stretford End, to do a visual protest at a game that was being shown on SkySports etc to really make a point.

But in reality, nowt will change. Avenues have slowly been shut-off for the average person to show their dissatisfaction and get together. The only way to do it would be through social media to arrange it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Would be happier with the parasites than with state ownership.

RopersReturn

Unfortunately I think we’re in the same situation as Blackburn and Coventry were under Sisu. There seems to be a minority of owners who are so determined to extract wealth without investment, the FA should have intervened at the time, but obviously didn’t.

maximus419

The government passed these laws to deter protests against how poorly they run the company and the people into the ground with rising costs and increasing the retiring age. I don’t think riots will be the main objective but will inevitably follow in the protest that begins. Match postponements will happen again due to fans blocking entrances not allowing players into the ground. They glazers have done themselves no favours in how they have handled the takeover so far either, dragging it on for this long shows that the preferred bidder is SJ or they would have ended it and accepted SJR bid last month.
Yes but the laws were also introduced to protect the financial interests of rich and wealthy people. Also, the fact police have extra powers and we know they are likely to abuse them, I just think protest has basically been made pretty much illegal in this country, if a rich business comes under attack.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
There would be big protests, maybe ESL level

But ultimately I doubt it would make much difference

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think protests will definitely be held then - not sure what'll happen after though. Could be a mess, could be nothing at all.
Nothing would happen even if people did protest. People overestimate how much protesting would really affect. We'd be able disrupt a match or two sure, but eventually you'd get too many arrested and United is too big of a club to feel any sort of financial impact because even if many match day goers chose not to attend, others would just take their place.

LutonAz

Supports
Luton
It all stems back to the performances on the pitch. Should Utd be competing for titles again then I'd expect less than say if Utd were 8th. Good example of this is Arsenal and Kroenke. They were Kroenke out for a long long long time and held a number of protests, but that seems to have died down now they're back in amongst it.

TheRedDevil2019

The fans would carry on, the protests in the ground barely scratch the surface as it is. A few chants ring round the ground for no more than 5mins. The protest just doesn't have enough voices with the matchgoers for a sustained period.

Lemoor

There’s no reason to riot. Just stop watching games or going to games. That stops the money and hits the glazers where it hurts.
For that to work in any meaningful capacity fans would have to organise themselves and protests are a wonderful tool for that. Few people making this decision quietly accomplishes nothing and just takes pressure off Glazers.

ROFLUTION

Nothing would happen even if people did protest. People overestimate how much protesting would really affect. We'd be able disrupt a match or two sure, but eventually you'd get too many arrested and United is too big of a club to feel any sort of financial impact because even if many match day goers chose not to attend, others would just take their place.
Im not too sure it has no impact. They’re in the middle of selling the club right now. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I like to pretend the invasion of Old Trafford after the failed ESL and the protests has some sort of impact on their decision to sell the club. But it’s probably just about dollars.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Carry on. Our fanbase is the most patient and accomodating in modern elite football.

Nogho

In countries where regimes need changing - you don’t protest, you take action. So, I guess making life a shitshow for the Glazers would help…

…but since they live in the US, have more money than any one are able to count and have the law on their side that won’t happen. So they will keep flying private jets, laugh at all “stupid” fans and keep exploit the club they “own”.

Honestly, if this had happened a couple of hundred years ago they would have been hanging from a rope by now.

I don’t even live in Manchester, but for you guys living there, aren’t you extremely furious about this? Ruining so many people’s hard work.

If SJR just pile on the debt and keep exploiting, then what’s the end goal for this awful bunch of people?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Im not too sure it has no impact. They’re in the middle of selling the club right now. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I like to pretend the invasion of Old Trafford after the failed ESL and the protests has some sort of impact on their decision to sell the club. But it’s probably just about dollars.
I think it's 100% the fact that the money is running dry without them easing up on leeching off, and they also can get a world record sale. They've shown time and again they don't really care what fans think. Sure we stopped the ESL, but we could never actually make them sell the club without millions of UTD fans actively choosing to not buy tickets/merchandise/etc. and affecting the bottom line of the club in a drastic way (which is just unrealistic, people love football and love United too much to not watch games/go to OT/buy the latest kit)

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
If the parasites stay, any unsuccessful bidder might sue for the cost of their bids. This will roll on for years if they are not gone soon.

UpWithRivers

Announce sale off one day. Announce signing of big player i.e. Kane the next. = Reduction of grumbling. Wait a week and sign another big player = minimum grumbling. Then the season will start