If we don’t sign anyone this window it shows the club lacks ambition

Eric's Seagull

If we go on a similar run of poor performance such as we did at the end of last season, we could be involved in a relegation battle. For a club like MUFC that should be an unthinkable possibility, but it’s not really unthinkable now.
On the flip side if we spend wisely this window we might be in the Champions League. Although I don"t have much faith.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
They strengthened too late imo and we saw the the effects of that from the latter half of last season where their league form was poor.

But your point is valid in general if this was the usual wah wah wah we need signings guff.

However, the United squad is threadbare and the club is in dire need of midfielders.

In the specific case where United do the usual and claim no value in the market etc and carry on with Matic and Fred as the only two first team CMs it does display a lack of ambition with regard to finishing in the top 4 this year.

I'm not really sure how you can argue against that but you seem to be arguing with people who are making this specific point with a more general and frankly irrelevant point, given the specific nature of the problems affecting United today.
I still don't think you get the point I'm making. You seem to be discounting these scenarios:

a) the club doesn't want to sell
b) the player doesn't want to move
b) the asking price is too high
c) the wage demands are too high

If these are these are the reasons for not signing players it is understandable, especially given the Sanchez situation, and you cannot claim it shows a lack of ambition if attempts are being made. That is a simplistic point of view.

soapythecat

This.

Been supporting this club since I was 13 years old. I'm 37 now and my interest in this club has dropped so much, I stopped watching games or following any news online with regards to United.
I occassionally stop by to check results but that's it.
I'm not a glory hunter. Far from it and I understand that you need to support your club no matter what but when the current management is allowed to run the club into the ground year after year, even die hard fans will start to lose interest and it will start to affect $$$ everyone loves to rave about regarding the club. The match going fans will soon also start asking questions and lose interest.

Even on that day I doubt the management will change.
United will end up dropping further and further from the leading football superpowers.
I hate saying it but it's true. Nothing will change.
News flash pal. You’re a glory hunter. Well done for your support when the club was doing well.

Withnail

I still don't think you get the point I'm making. You seem to be discounting these scenarios:

a) the club doesn't want to sell
b) the player doesn't want to move
b) the asking price is too high
c) the wage demands are too high

If these are these are the reasons for not signing players it is understandable, especially given the Sanchez situation, and you cannot claim it shows a lack of ambition if attempts are being made. That is a simplistic point of view.
I understand exactly what you are saying and if that was the case then fair enough.

However, the suspicious is those reasons will be trotted out as excuses once again, when the club either didn't really try or were too inept to get deals done.

If the club was ambitious about getting back to the top they would have already gotten the right people in to conduct their transfer business properly, which is why people are sceptical.

Walters_19_MuFc

But we wouldnt be spending for the sake of spending. The squad clearly needs improving.

Im not buying the line that targets arnt available either, if you have a competant recruitment system you d have enough targets to at least secure one that will improve the squad.

Theres plenty of players out there. Find them
I know its the job of our scouts, but who is currently out there that you would bring in that you'd be happy to see in our team on a long term basis?

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope Man Utd start losing money due to footballing result. Glazer would sell the club knowing that they have nothing to gain. That's the only way that this club can be successful again.

Bestietom

I know its the job of our scouts, but who is currently out there that you would bring in that you'd be happy to see in our team on a long term basis?
We have seen 2/3 already gone to new clubs in Haaland, Kulusevski, and Minamino, all young promising players who will only get better.

UDontMessWith24

This is 100% untrue. The owner's of this club are highly ambitious, and they're achieving the goals they set out to achieve.

Walters_19_MuFc

We have seen 2/3 already gone to new clubs in Haaland, Kulusevski, and Minamino.
Haaland decided to go to a team where he'd be a guaranteed starter.

I'm not aware of the other two. Would you be happy seeing them in our team on a long term basis? As in, if we buy those two, we don't buy anyone in the summer.

Bestietom

Haaland decided to go to a team where he'd be a guaranteed starter.

I'm not aware of the other two. Would you be happy seeing them in our team on a long term basis? As in, if we buy those two, we don't buy anyone in the summer.
Why wouldn't we buy anyone in the summer. We still have about 11 deadwood to get rid of. But these 2 players would have made it here. At least as very good squad players, which we need badly.

Hughie77

If there's no transfers in Jan, especially in CM it's a long season of feck all, unless Mctom, comes back fit early, then I bet we lose Fred to a 8 week injury, that's how it's been. Matic has not got any creative ability, Mata has, but no legs. Bloody hell I can't undure another Arsenal away game, fecking dreadful. They have to buy there forced to buy.
Easy to say but throw enough cash and we should get them ?.. well maybe !

Bestietom

Think I will go on an early holiday if we fail to bring anyone in this window. Can't listen to the scousers if they win the League, and then poke fun at us finishing with nothing to show.

Rocknrolla69er

In my opinion which obviously could be wrong, i think if the FFP rumours are true then we should definatley be testing Villa with a bid for Grealish, i dont care what anyone says about him not being good enough as the stats hes posting along with his performances for me warrant a bid, nobody can say he'd not improve our first eleven.

We all know daniel Levy loves a £, Eriksen is obtainable if the rumours about Inter are bollocks test the water with a bid. Could Matic be included in a deal, we know Jose loves him

Buendia from Norwich, another like Grealish who because he spent last season in the championship is not deemed good enough, hes stats piss all over that theory, posting amazing creative stats along with Grealish, can play AM and RW and i think if you show Norwich enough cash he d be gettable.
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/liverpool-keen-on-norwich-star-chasing-alexander-arnold-in-assist-race

Pellegrini has a release clause of £27m if rumours are to be believed, would be more of a gamble than the above mentioned as hes not played in the prem. But probably at the price a gamble worth taking, as surely hes an upgrad on Periera and Lingaard, could we include Smalling in a player swap, would Smalling and £12m activate his clause
https://romapress.net/2019/11/29/roma-working-on-pellegrini-renewal/

Banega lots of experiance and another with a rumoured low release clause, and again surely better than we have, again can he adapat to the league

Paredes apparntly free to leave PSG, why i dont know, similar to Carrick, very good passer of a ball, if theres a loan option or a chance of a deal we should be all over it.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/leandro-paredes-wants-to-leave-psg-this-month/

6 midfield options there i think would improve us, id go as far to say if we really wanted too we could get two of them, making us alot stronger.

Perfect signings for me would be Paredes and Grealish to boost that central midfield

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I understand exactly what you are saying and if that was the case then fair enough.

However, the suspicious is those reasons will be trotted out as excuses once again, when the club either didn't really try or were too inept to get deals done.

If the club was ambitious about getting back to the top they would have already gotten the right people in to conduct their transfer business properly, which is why people are sceptical.
That's easy to say but there is also no guarantee they would be able to get these deals. Besides choosing the right players, I don't think a DOF affects any of the aforementioned scenarios IMO.

Bestietom

In my opinion which obviously could be wrong, i think if the FFP rumours are true then we should definatley be testing Villa with a bid for Grealish, i dont care what anyone says about him not being good enough as the stats hes posting along with his performances for me warrant a bid, nobody can say he'd not improve our first eleven.

We all know daniel Levy loves a £, Eriksen is obtainable if the rumours about Inter are bollocks test the water with a bid.

Buendia from Norwich, another like Grealish who because he spent last season in the championship is not deemed good enough, hes stats piss all over that theory, posting amazing creative stats along with Grealish, can play AM and RW and i think if you show Norwich enough cash he d be gettable.
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/liverpool-keen-on-norwich-star-chasing-alexander-arnold-in-assist-race

Pellegrini has a release clause of £27m if rumours are to be believed, would be more of a gamble than the above mentioned as hes not played in the prem. But probably at the price a gamble worth taking, as surely hes an upgrad on Periera and Lingaard.

Banega lots of experiance and another with a rumoured low release clause, and again surely better than we have, again can he adapat to the league

Paredes apparntly free to leave PSG, why i dont know, similar to Carrick, very good passer of a ball, if theres a loan option or a chance of a deal we should be all over it.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/leandro-paredes-wants-to-leave-psg-this-month/

6 midfield options there i think would improve us, id go as far to say if we really wanted too we could get two of them, making us alot stronger.

Perfect signings for me would be Paredes and Grealish to boost that central midfield
But Ole and Woodward have to be convinced, and then the time it would take to get them over the line.

Rocknrolla69er

But Ole and the Woodward have to be convinced, and then the time it would take to get them over the line.
Have to be convinced by who?
Researching these players, finding out their situations, scouting, etc should all be completed and a big profile on each player already have been discussed. You dont leave it till Janiary to do the groundwork you do it months previous to each transfer window.
Sorry but thats a very naive comment

drdoityourself

We've sold 2 midfielders. Didn't replace them. Matic is on a downhill slide. Pogba and McTominay out for a big chunk of time. We are still in 4 competitions.

In the number 10 position Lingard has the same statistical output as the whole Bury football team this season, unfortunately they have been defunct the whole time. Mata is done and Pereira is not really a starting quality player.

These two positions need addressing now, in this window. This club is seemingly so narrow minded in it's transfer policy, I have zero faith in United actually pulling off a transfer.

romufc

Researching these players, finding out their situations, scouting, etc should all be completed and a big profile on each player already have been discussed. You dont leave it till Janiary to do the groundwork you do it months previous to each transfer window.
Exactly, I can't believe fans actually think scouting happens during the transfer window?

This should be done well in advance, the transfer window is just so that the player can join the club, a good business would have personal terms, fees all agreed with just formalities to complete.

We however start looking for players after the window opens and take 2 months to prepare a bid.

Bestietom

Not if we were not interested in the players.

Rocknrolla69er

Exactly, I can't believe fans actually think scouting happens during the transfer window?

This should be done well in advance, the transfer window is just so that the player can join the club, a good business would have personal terms, fees all agreed with just formalities to complete.

We however start looking for players after the window opens and take 2 months to prepare a bid.
I honestly just thought it was common sense, seems alot of people really dont have an understanding of how clubs operate. I think we do actually do the groundwork but for whatever reasons the process gets dragged out.
I think its due to clubs haggling with us due to increased tv revenue as well as our negotiating team not being very good. It seems Woodwards to occupied in the commercial side to put the time it needs into the recruitment side, id hazard a guess the people trying to secure the deals spend alot of time awaiting final decisions from Woodward

Bestietom

I honestly just thought it was common sense, seems alot of people really dont have an understanding of how clubs operate. I think we do actually do the groundwork but for whatever reasons the process gets dragged out.
I think its due to clubs haggling with us due to increased tv revenue as well as our negotiating team not being very good. It seems Woodwards to occupied in the commercial side to put the time it needs into the recruitment side, id hazard a guess the people trying to secure the deals spend alot of time awaiting final decisions from Woodward
Seems a lot of people don't know how Woodward operates.

Bestietom

I dont get the point of your comment, totally pointless, i was asked to name players id go for, i gave them, obviously United dont employ me haha
But just because you named them doesn't mean we are interested, and need to research them. Ole went to talk to Haaland and depended on getting him. I think he also wanted Kulusevski. Now he has to go to next on the list.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
On the flip side if we spend wisely this window we might be in the Champions League. Although I don"t have much faith.
I doubt we'll be spending anything this January. We are saving money and Ole is the perfect manager to deliver this message to the fans.
"We won't over-pay for players"
"There is no value in the market" << remember this one?

Also regarding the "we only buy British players" narrative - could this be because Ole is under qualified for the position?
Let's say if we bought Neymar. Does anybody think Neymar would listen to Ole. The first question Neymar will ask is, "As manager, what has Ole won?" A similar question may be asked fo our coaches. Carrick and McKenna have known nothing but failure since they became senior coaches.
However, if we buy Championship players like Dan James, then those players will respect Ole (and the coaches) and work hard for them. Additionally, British players in general will be happy to play for MUFC, regardless of who the manager is UNLESS that British player is highly decorated (which was the issue with Rio and D.Moyes).

Bestietom

I doubt we'll be spending anything this January. We are saving money and Ole is the perfect manager to deliver this message to the fans.
"There is no value in the market" << remember this one?

Also regarding the "we only buy British players" narrative - could this be because Ole is under qualified for the position?
Let's say if we bought Neymar. Does anybody think Neymar would listen to Ole. The first question Neymar will ask is, "As manager, what has Ole won?" A similar question may be asked fo our coaches. Carrick and McKenna have known nothing but failure since they became senior coaches.
However, if we buy Championship players like Dan James, then those players will respect Ole (and the coaches) and work hard for them. Additionally, British players in general will be happy to play for MUFC, regardless of who the manager is UNLESS that British player is highly decorated (which was the issue with Rio and D.Moyes).
What about Poch then. He hasn't won anything yet. Do you think the same if he gets the managers job with us.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Correct on all points. You are too logical.
We are badly run club, from top to bottom and the change needs to happen, from the top.
Ever since Woodward took over, our league position has been embarrassingly bad (2nd place, excepted). He's doing a VERY bad job.

And for those fans who think that 6th and 7th is "okay", you need to raise your standards. This is unacceptable and as when Moyes got fired in 10 months, for getting 7th place, Ole should also be judged to the same standards.

Chairman Steve

I have little faith in the people who run and manage the club to get anything done in January. The main point of agenda at the board meetings is probably sponsorship deals. It’s more important to get a Korean ramen supplier sponsor than a central midfielder.

And since OGS can’t believe his luck that hes still got the job, he’s probably gonna tell the marketing posse that Lingard will eventually come good and theres no need to blow this years financial year bonus at all on wages for a new player.

romufc

Correct on all points. You are too logical.
We are badly run club, from top to bottom and the change needs to happen, from the top.
Ever since Woodward took over, our league position has been embarrassingly bad (2nd place, excepted). He's doing a VERY bad job.

And for those fans who think that 6th and 7th is "okay", you need to raise your standards. This is unacceptable and as when Moyes got fired in 10 months, for getting 7th place, Ole should also be judged to the same standards.
Even the 2nd didnt feel like 2nd because it wasn't a title race was it?

Fans have come to accept that 6/7th is okay because they believe what the club say "A massive rebuild". No rebuild takes 7 years. Real, City, Barca all rebuild within 18 months. We make too many excuses for the higher ups and manager.

Losing in the manner we did V Arsenal is unacceptable. That has nothing to do with players. We are just not run properly, incorrect tactics the lot.

Eric's Seagull

"There is no value in the market" <
< remember this one?

I also don't think we will be spending this January. I'm hoping more than anything. Agree with the pathetic excuses you mentioned in bold which will be used which annoy me. Also agree with what you say about Neymar.

Maybe we should look for a few decent young players who are playing well in the Championship while they are available for a decent fee, before another Premiership team buys them and we have to pay 'x' amount of millions more in a few years time.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So you are telling me everyone thought it was a good idea for Liverpool not to buy anyone?

Note: This is no slight on anyone who thought Liverpool should buy. I thought the same thing. This was just from one page of the Liverpool thread.

The point is don't be surprised if results don't change even with signings, especially if the right player isn't available.
If you mean to imply that Liverpool improved this season despite making no signings in the summer, I disagree. Your club, Liverpool, aren't nearly as convincing as they were last year. VAR, non-existent injuries to key personnel, City (along the rest of the so-called competition) failing to put up a fight, and a multitude of other factors have combined to give your club an insurmountable lead atop the table.

You will be inclined to disagree with this because that's what Liverpool fans do, but that's fine.

Flying high

For me, Solskjaer gets a free pass for this season because of the squad situation. It was a really bad mess that couldn't possibly all be fixed in the summer. Woodward got a small amount of slack in September because we all knew some of those players just had to leave, even if we had no time to replace them, it was probably worth it in the long run.

Now though, Woody loses credibility with each passing day of this window. The day after the summer window closed, he should have been 100% focused on strengthening the squad in the January market. If he still manages fk all by the end of it, then he really is as clueless as his detractors suggest.

Ole too needs to understand that he can't publicly back the board if they fail this time. They need to be called out for their lack of ambition and if it costs him his job, then the backlash against the board will simply grow even louder. THAT can be Ole's gift to us fans, if nothing else. None of this signing a lucrative severance package which prohibits speaking ill of the board. Tell it how it is Ole, then(i hope) we'll finally act to remove these leeches from our club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This.

Been supporting this club since I was 13 years old. I'm 37 now and my interest in this club has dropped so much, I stopped watching games or following any news online with regards to United.
I occassionally stop by to check results but that's it.
I'm not a glory hunter. Far from it and I understand that you need to support your club no matter what but when the current management is allowed to run the club into the ground year after year, even die hard fans will start to lose interest and it will start to affect $$$ everyone loves to rave about regarding the club. The match going fans will soon also start asking questions and lose interest.

Even on that day I doubt the management will change.
United will end up dropping further and further from the leading football superpowers.
I hate saying it but it's true. Nothing will change.
So funnily enough, you found it easier to support United when we were at the top winning loads.
:lol: :lol:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Are you having a laugh?

The best coach in the world isn't going to increase the number of available PL quality midfielders at the club, or make a silk purse out of Matic, Mata, Lingard and Pereira for that matter, by the end of January.
Which top midfielders would honestly sign to play for your jokeshop manager?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
With the injuries to Mctominay and Pogba, the idea that Woodward does not plan to invest in January is unthinkable.

We need at least one (preferably two) competitive CMs's brought in asap if we hope to make top four.

Bestietom

For me, Solskjaer gets a free pass for this season because of the squad situation. It was a really bad mess that couldn't possibly all be fixed in the summer. Woodward got a small amount of slack in September because we all knew some of those players just had to leave, even if we had no time to replace them, it was probably worth it in the long run.

Now though, Woody loses credibility with each passing day of this window. The day after the summer window closed, he should have been 100% focused on strengthening the squad in the January market. If he still manages fk all by the end of it, then he really is as clueless as his detractors suggest.

Ole too needs to understand that he can't publicly back the board if they fail this time. They need to be called out for their lack of ambition and if it costs him his job, then the backlash against the board will simply grow even louder. THAT can be Ole's gift to us fans, if nothing else. None of this signing a lucrative severance package which prohibits speaking ill of the board. Tell it how it is Ole, then(i hope) we'll finally act to remove these leeches from our club.
Well said. If Ole calls out the board for their lack of ambition, he will go down as a hero, in my book anyway. They need to be brought down.

Josep Dowling

So you are telling me everyone thought it was a good idea for Liverpool not to buy anyone?

Note: This is no slight on anyone who thought Liverpool should buy. I thought the same thing. This was just from one page of the Liverpool thread.

The point is don't be surprised if results don't change even with signings, especially if the right player isn't available.
I’m not expecting us to suddenly improve with one extra midfielder. It’s a combination of a new chief executive, manager and 4/5 decent players. My anger and frustration is the one fact our current midfield options are Fred, Pereira, Lingard, Mata, Matic and possibly a few youngsters. We are still in 3 competitions as well. The board have written off the season if they don’t get someone in. I’m not asking for a £100m player but surely a couple of loans deal until the end of the season must be possible to give us option to rotate.