If we don't finish top four will it be curtains for Jose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

I loved LVG as a human being, maybe more than Jose. The signs of progress were not there and he looked way out of his depth and out of ideas which translated onto the pitch. I dont get the same feeling from Jose and the players don't seem to either.

If the people posting here saying they want him sacked were in charge a few years back the Fergie would never have happened.
Times have changed. United have changed. you need to change

Stacks

Jose won't and rightly shouldn't be sacked no matter where we finish this season. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't have done better though, if the fans and the clubs expectations hadn't of been lowered to such lengths over the past few years I think it'd be a different story. Let's be honest, it's dissapointing still having to look up at the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal at this point in the season. They're both average age Jose should have us above them with this squad.
I can't lie. it is disheartening. Especially when you see how easily Arsenal and Spurs are dismantled in Europe.

Treble_Winning

To all the people (there are many of you) commenting about how Jose has looked annoyed and miserable - what do you expect? Do you want a manager who is smiling and cracking jokes all the time when his team is 6th? The fact that he is scowling and unhappy during interviews shows that he's a winner and hates the position he is in right now.

TheBiggest

:lol:

Mourinho won't be sacked.

What are some of you guys smoking?

This is a long-term appointment.

GBBQ

Wish people would just post the truth, that they like mourinho better. None of this stuff about the league is more competitive, that he inherited the worst squad or that he has been unlucky. We like him better and don't wt him sacked after similar results in similar circumstances to DM and LVG.
Of course people are going to be a bit more predisposed to the manager who makes the team watchable again, manages the Rooney situation so well and cuts out so much of the stupid leaks that took place in the past 3 years.

Its not just about results though, DM and LVG both lost the dressing room. The players didn't trust Moyes and LVG was too inflexible and controlling with his philosophy.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
:lol:

Mourinho won't be sacked.

What are some of you guys smoking?

This is a long-term appointment.
His second spell at Chelsea was meant to be that. He wanted to build a dynasty there. It didn't happen. I'm sure he wants to be long term at a club but it hasn't happened yet. Long term for me is more than four years. At Porto and Inter Milan he left for pastures new after two seasons. In both stints at Chelsea and at Real Madrid, things fell apart during the third season. If things don't go tits up after 3-4 years at United, i'll be less skeptical about him showing he can be long term at a club. Time will tell.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Wish people would just post the truth, that they like mourinho better. None of this stuff about the league is more competitive, that he inherited the worst squad or that he has been unlucky. We like him better and don't wt him sacked after similar results in similar circumstances to DM and LVG.
Or maybe it's the fact we are actually moving forward as a football club now as opposed to regressing like we did under Moyes and LVG? I really can't fathom the thought process of people who want Mourinho gone or don't think we have improved.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Or maybe it's the fact we are actually moving forward as a football club now as opposed to regressing like we did under Moyes and LVG? I really can't fathom the thought process of people who want Mourinho gone or don't think we have improved.
This. He's fixing our team, and if a few ridiculously dominant draws were wins, we'd be challenging the title right now, this fecking season.

I'm convinced that a good number of the 'anti-Mourinho' United posters in here are actually oppo WUM fans. He's just so hated by Liverpool and City fans that it's the one area they can't hide.

If the top 3 manager in the world can't do it then who can?
Give it Giggsy 'til end of the season...?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
It may be people have an agenda. I don't watch all the Utd games I know but is there really an improvement? I'm a little surprised that a starting 11 and a recognisable pattern of play hasn't crystalised. Home results are still iffy. Wouldn't it be Jose's first failure to reach CL since before Porto if indeed that did happen?

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
I'm not sure exactly how we are moving forward by currently lying beneath where we finished last season?

JON.B

Sloop
Interesting to know what the reaction and opinion would be if it was another manager in charge, and not Mourinho.

I think for practical and continuity reasons he has to stay for another season, simply because getting someone else would involve going through yet another period of change.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm not sure exactly how we are moving forward by currently lying beneath where we finished last season?
More points on the board (49 to 41), more wins (13 to 11), fewer losses (3 to 7), more goals scored (39 to 33), fewer goals conceded (22 to 24), better GD (17 to 9) than at the same stage of the season in 15/16. Every measurable statistic in the Premier League table apart from position, we are doing better this season than last season. And that is just in the league. We are still in all the cups and have already won one. Europa League is very winnable.

The difference is, Chelsea and Liverpool are better this season than they were last season, and they have - so far - improved more than we have. That doesn't mean we haven't moved forwards though.

We are definitely better to watch as a team. I don't even think that is up for debate. Under LVG, having two shots on target in a game would be miraculous. This season, whilst our finishing is far from ruthless, we are creating heaps of chances and hitting the target plenty. We're not hogging the ball and passing it in our own half, boring the opposition and the fans to sleep. We are setting out to win games, and we very rarely lose. The improvement is clear as day.

rocks13

More points on the board (49 to 41), more wins (13 to 11), fewer losses (3 to 7), more goals scored (39 to 33), fewer goals conceded (22 to 24), better GD (17 to 9) than at the same stage of the season in 15/16. Every measurable statistic in the Premier League table apart from position, we are doing better this season than last season. And that is just in the league. We are still in all the cups and have already won one. Europa League is very winnable.

The difference is, Chelsea and Liverpool are better this season than they were last season, and they have - so far - improved more than we have. That doesn't mean we haven't moved forwards though.

We are definitely better to watch as a team. I don't even think that is up for debate. Under LVG, having two shots on target in a game would be miraculous. This season, whilst our finishing is far from ruthless, we are creating heaps of chances and hitting the target plenty. We're not hogging the ball and passing it in our own half, boring the opposition and the fans to sleep. We are setting out to win games, and we very rarely lose. The improvement is clear as day.
I think we'd all agree that Chelsea and Arsenal have improved past us but I think the question is if we've improved so much why haven't we improved past Tottenham, Arsenal or City.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Lock the thread OnlytwoDaSilvas has hit the nail on the head (100% agree)

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM

Yep, I agree with this.
Jose has turned United around in the short time he's been there...and won a cup in the process.
He aint going anywhere...

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
We are much better than under Moyes or LVG. Moyes found himself getting humiliated too often (Olympiakos, Sunderland league cup semi final, Liverpool at home, City at home, Everton home and away, Newcastle at home, West Brom at home etc) and LVG was playing very boring football with only one of his signings working out and the team went backwards compared to his first season.

Mourinho's problem is his attackers not finishing chances

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
In Lvg's first season he had a lot of support and you'll find plenty of people were behind him.
Personally I really liked him though.

Devil may care

Jose wont be sacked no matter whether we finished 4th or 7th, he's the right fit and here for the long term.

CEOZucker

If he gets sacked then it's over. No decent manager would come near us after sacking a trophy winning manager who has had very little time to buy players capable of winning a title. It has been a bad season so far but all of his signings have been positives which is a very good sign going forward.
That's a ridiculous argument, Chelsea don't have that problem neither do Real Madrid

CEOZucker

Jose wont be sacked no matter whether we finished 4th or 7th, he's the right fit and here for the long term.
I am cert it's in his contract that the club should be in Europe
CL every season, we a Manchester United the biggest club in the world it will be a colossal failure if we fail to get CL this season, Jose is not the best manager in the world if he was we would be higher and out playing decent teams,, him failing to get CL after the transfer budget and last season's feck up at Chelsea would prove he is not elite anymore.

Devil may care

I am cert it's in his contract that the club should be in Europe CL every season, we a Manchester United the biggest club in the world it will be a colossal failure if we fail to get CL this season, Jose is not the best manager in the world if he was we would be higher and out playing decent teams,, him failing to get CL after the transfer budget and last season's feck up at Chelsea would prove he is not elite anymore.
We can't switch managers every time we miss out on the top 4, we'll never get a rebuild completed if we do that, it's not as simple as x amount spent = success, Jose has us playing the right way and has gotten some fight back into this squad, something driven out of it by Moyes and LvG's negative and oppressive management styles. There was lots of damage to undo after the previous 2 managers and the PL is stronger than ever this season with 2 of our main rivals having a very light schedule with no European commitments. Time is needed and it will be given to Jose, unlike the prior 2 managers he has the vast majority of fans on side and that is key.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
It's absolutlely ludicrous that with our resources that a title challenge is not an expectation each season, to simply have to finish in the top four should be a piece of piss to the club. Instead we are stuck in sixth place we obviously have to support the club through thick and thin but enough should be enough, if merely finishing fourth is seen as success, never mind the distinct prospect of not even finishing that high, then we really aren't the Manchester United so many of us know anymore.

Cantona_Forever

It's absolutlely ludicrous that with our resources that a title challenge is not an expectation each season, to simply have to finish in the top four should be a piece of piss to the club. Instead we are stuck in sixth place we obviously have to support the club through thick and thin but enough should be enough, if merely finishing fourth is seen as success, never mind the distinct prospect of not even finishing that high, then we really aren't the Manchester United so many of us know anymore.
WUM.

Carl0s84

We are much better than under Moyes or LVG. Moyes found himself getting humiliated too often (Olympiakos, Sunderland league cup semi final, Liverpool at home, City at home, Everton home and away, Newcastle at home, West Brom at home etc) and LVG was playing very boring football with only one of his signings working out and the team went backwards compared to his first season.

Mourinho's problem is his attackers not finishing chances
after moyes, manchester payed more than 500millions for players in the last 3 years. I'd say the money wasnt well spend considering the improvements form then to now. and that mourinho is doing better then moyes considering the quality within the squad is also open for debate.

the club is lacking a plan and/or a direction, no team manager can provide it as they are measured by short term success. LVG wanted to do that, but he was past his prime and football changed to much. he was the right guy to lay ground work 10 years ago. mourinho is not the right manager for that, but he at least wins some trivial silverware done and gets some results. When he leaves, the club will have the same fundamental problems, but who cares, right? ;)

Reactions: Theonas

Cantona_Forever

after moyes, manchester payed more than 500millions for players in the last 3 years. I'd say the money wasnt well spend considering the improvements form then to now. and that mourinho is doing better then moyes considering the quality within the squad is also open for debate.

the club is lacking a plan and/or a direction, no team manager can provide it as they are measured by short term success. LVG wanted to do that, but he was past his prime and football changed to much. he was the right guy to lay ground work 10 years ago. mourinho is not the right manager for that, but he at least wins some trivial silverware done and gets some results. When he leaves, the club will have the same fundamental problems, but who cares, right? ;)
So what Moyes did that was better than Mourinho?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Yes LVG wasted a lot of money I agree. Most of the teams Mourinho leaves behind continue to have success so I think we will be fine

Rhyme Animal

This. Defo WUM.

United fans don't go on and on about us being 'stuck in 6th place', Liverpool fans do.

rocks13

Yes LVG wasted a lot of money I agree. Most of the teams Mourinho leaves behind continue to have success so I think we will be fine
Spot on. Mourinho has managed big clubs who were successful before he managed them and continue to be successful after he's gone.

He's never had any long-term impact at any club he's managed.

Stringer

Spot on. Mourinho has managed big clubs who were successful before he managed them and continue to be successful after he's gone.

He's never had any long-term impact at any club he's managed.
Well that's simply not true, is it? The Chelsea side he created during his first stint continued to be competitive long after he left and they hadn't won anything before he joined them.

Jaybomb

It would be an absolute disaster if they sacked him for not getting top 4.

He's already won a trophy and hasn't lost in the league since October. Things are positive regardless of tonight's result.

He should be given 5 years minimum. As long as he keeps finishing in the top 6 and winning trophies.

Rhyme Animal

It would be an absolute disaster if they sacked him for not getting top 4.

He's already won a trophy and hasn't lost in the league since October. Things are positive regardless of tonight's result.

He should be given 5 years minimum. As long as he keeps finishing in the top 6 and winning trophies.
This absolutely. With the bolded being the one that matters to me the most.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Jose spent 90 mio on pogba. Paul fecking pogba

Moyes spent 30 mio on fellaini
Lvg spent 69 mio on di maria

Status
Not open for further replies.