If we lose Martial who should we buy as a backup striker?

colombianmancunian

I think that Martial leaving means we are getting MG back and will use Sancho as a false 9. Then we will go for Toney on January.

Oh_Dear

I think that Martial leaving means we are getting MG back and will use Sancho as a false 9. Then we will go for Toney on January.
I really can't see Toney being sold in the January window when it's so hard for any club to find a decent replacement.

For what it's worth, I really don't want MG back at the club either.

And I would be absolutely amazed if anyone wanted to buy the permanently injured one (Martial).

But who knows, you may be right!

WirralRed

This was clearly just to get listeners
Maybe, but he doesn't usaly do that kind of thing and he didn’t bring it up first time he was asked about it, he dose have connections at the club. I’m most likely wanting to believe

wolvored

Rashford will be the main CF either way.

Hojlund will be the first sub or tactical option against particular opponents.

Sancho will take the minutes Martial would have had in between injuries. Garnacho/Amad will take the minutes that Rashford/Sancho would have had as wingers.
This is the most likely thing I can see happening.
Unless the Saudis and Martial come to an agreement, then I cant see him leaving. Maybe if we gave him a free transfer, provided we dont have to give him a payoff, there might be a little interest, but his wages would probably put anyone off.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Hard to get anyone interested in Martial, I doubt those rumours are true. Almost 100% that he will leave next season as a free agent. Even as a free agent, there won't be many clubs interested in him. For his own sake, get fit and push himself into XI before Hoijund. He can leave next season with suitors lining up for his signature. It will be good for the club and himself.

Trex

We would just stick Scott up front. Would have done better than Wout.

croadyman

Toney should be our priority now. Despite his ban.
Yeah being 3rd highest scorer in this league for a team outside top 6 is very impressive. Despite the MG stuff we may still take a dim view over the betting ban but remains to be seen

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Felix 12 months.
I wouldnt buy him but would take him on a loan. I don’t really think he’s all that but as an alternative to Hojlund, we could do worse.

Actually given we just spent big on Hojlund a temp fix like what Arsenal have done with their new GK is what we need. I’m surprised there’s no noise surrounding a backup / rotational striker on loan.

Devil You Know

Firstly, this is the last season of his contract. Noone will take the risk to spend big on him.

Secondly, given the fact he's missed the whole of preseason, there's almost zero chance he'll get sold or loaned out this summer.

So we're stuck with him until the winter transfer window at the earliest. In January, the only way anyone would even consider buying him is if he's fully fit and firing.

But if he's fully fit and firing mid-way through the season, we'd might as well keep him for the whole run-in because we'll need the bodies.

So, thinking through all of these eventualities, I can't see any way we're getting a single penny for Martial. We either have to hope he comes good or accept that he's going to be sitting on the bench/lying on the treatment table until his contract ends. Then at the end of it all, he'll finally leave for free.

£50m down the drain.

Last edited:

foolsgold

This is the last season of his contract. Given the fact he's missed the whole of preseason, there's almost zero chance he'll get sold or loaned out this summer.

We're stuck with him until the winter transfer window at the earliest. In January, the only way anyone would even consider buying him is if he's fully fit and firing.

But if he's fully fit and firing mid-way through the season, we'd might as well keep him for the whole run-in because we'll need the bodies.

So, thinking through all of these eventualities, I can't see any way we're getting a single penny for Martial. We either have to hope he comes good or accept that he's going to be sitting on the bench/lying on the treatment table until his contract ends. Then at the end of it all, he'll eventually leave for free.

£50m down the drain.
If he's fit and firing mid-way through the season, we'll give him a contract extension. (hypothetically I know)

Devil You Know

If he's fit and firing mid-way through the season, we'll give him a contract extension. (hypothetically I know)
A fit and firing Martial is technically decent, but is completely devoid of the kind of footballing brain that would make him a threat in the box. And don't get me started on his lack of running for the team.

That would just about be enough to be a useful bench option for the short term. But his salary makes him too much of a financial burden to be on the bench for the long term.

I think he's a goner at the end of the season. He was simply never good enough to justify his wage - even when he was at his best. If we could sell him now, I would.

Highfather_24

I would not sell Martial. He's worth more for us when playing(if fit), than whatever peanuts we will get selling him. He leaves next year on a free anyway. I dont trust MG11 or Sancho as false 9. Hojlund is too unproven.