If you could be a sporting World Champion….

Wilt

If you could be a World Champion/World No1, in what sport would you choose and why?

Fame, adulation, money, women, other?

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
100m. By definition that would mean I could run sub 10 seconds.

Unless I guess through a billion to one set of circumstances there’s about 600 false starts on my way from amateur to world champ final I guess.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Football but its impossible for us to win a final:(

Crackers

greasy ginfers
In cycling, maybe a world championship but all 3 grand tours is probably the better (and more infamous) equivalent here

Wilt

Close call between golf and F1 ….choose golf

Leisurely sport
Less likely to be killed (other than lightning)
No need to spend all day in the gym
Nice locations
Time to chat and exchange details with the ladies on the way round
Don‘t have to carry my own bag
Normally good weather
Could still be competing at top level into my forties
Millions in prize money and advertising

Sign me up

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
F1, but becoming first on ATP no1 after winning Wimbledon would be cool too.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Leisurely sport
Nice locations
Normally good weather

Sign me up
Golf doesn’t have a world champion.

Suedesi

Leisurely sport
Nice locations
Normally good weather

Sign me up
He said sport...

ducks

Zen

I'm definitely going Golf or Tennis. No one in F1 has that sweet Agassi/Woods story - talent, women, drugs, scandal, derailment and most importantly, the redemption!

I also don't want to piss about moaning with my own teammate every weekend. feck the F1 career.

Bole Top

tennis. unlike in football, you get all credit as it's individual sport + it's very, very safe. you can't run into the fence at full speed, you aren't being punched and nobody is trying to break your legs. you're likely to retire in perfect health. it's also one of those expressive sports where you can make audience love you because of your style. and obviously, the money is ridiculous and with that comes everything you can want in life.

mitChley

I'm definitely going Golf or Tennis. No one in F1 has that sweet Agassi/Woods story - talent, women, drugs, scandal, derailment and most importantly, the redemption!

I also don't want to piss about moaning with my own teammate every weekend. feck the F1 career.
Yes, no one

Edit: my answer would also be F1. Considering I do Olympic Weightlifting I did consider World Champion but the pay is feck all and no one other than other lifters on the internet would know who you are.

Camilo

F1 looks like a child's sport. Imagine having to integrate with that lot every week, Christ.

Golf for me - what a life that must be.

Zen

Yes, no one

Edit: my answer would also be F1. Considering I do Olympic Weightlifting I did consider World Champion but the pay is feck all and no one other than other lifters on the internet would know who you are.
He's missing something...you can't ascend to the throne, lose it and then redeem yourself with 1 title pal!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Probably football. Because that would mean I’m a world class footballer. And I envy their lifestyle over all other professional athletes. Stupendously well paid and a summer holiday every year. Plus they play football all the time. Golf and F1 can get fecked. Not even close.

Dan

The 100m, 200m and 400m all at the same world championships and breaking the world records in the process.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Probably football. Because that would mean I’m a world class footballer. And I envy their lifestyle over all other professional athletes. Stupendously well paid and a summer holiday every year. Plus they play football all the time. Golf and F1 can get fecked. Not even close.
F1 drivers compete in 22 races in a year, and the top names earn more than footballers. Plus they can live in Monaco and not pay tax on most of their income.

You’re going to struggle to beat that lifestyle to be honest.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
F1 drivers compete in 22 races in a year, and the top names earn more than footballers. Plus they can live in Monaco and not pay tax on most of their income.

Yeah but they don’t play football all day. Easy win for footballers. And I don’t need to be wealthier than any other sportsperson. Footballers earn more than I could ever possibly need anyway.

EDIT: All personal preference though. In a fantasy world where I was really really good at a sport I would want it to be an athletic one. Because that’s my only frame of reference. I can’t relate to getting any enjoyment out of driving a car fast. Or snooker, or darts, or golf. Although I understand that not everyone feels this way.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

And afterwards there are so few successful ones that you ll be paid gold to show up to things at circuits all around the world.

Zen

Yeah but they don’t play football all day. Easy win for footballers. And I don’t need to be wealthier than any other sportsperson. Footballers earn more than I could ever possibly need anyway.

EDIT: All personal preference though. In a fantasy world where I was really really good at a sport I would want it to be an athletic one. Because that’s my only frame of reference. I can’t relate to getting any enjoyment out of driving a car fast. Or snooker, or darts, or golf. Although I understand that not everyone feels this way.
Aren't you into climbing? Just be Alex Honnold :lol:

To be fair, that is more fascinating to me than F1 driving too, while giving you an bigger edge in the death-defying stance at the cost of the superior money.

But yeah, this is just going to come down to whether you want to have a family while you have a career(being a top of F1 doesn't tend to allow this post-Schumacher) or not, and whether you actively enjoy doing the sport in question. 100 million to do something you love or 150 million to do something you kinda like? Yeah, I know where I'm going. The rest of the lifestyles is just going to be pure luxury regardless if you choose the big sports.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

F1 drivers are extremely athletic. It’s a common misconception that drivers don’t need to be fit, they actually need to be massively so.