g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

If you could go back in time and have one match replayed

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
99 Bayern v United
or
12 Bayern v Chelsea
While you had the better of things against an United side missing key players in 99, it is still beyond me how you managed to lose at home to a mediocre Chelsea side missing five regulars. You could have scored five or six on the night... Robben missing a penalty in extra time. Remarkable.

My list:
1. Bayern 2010 (probably the first leg, as not only Bayern scored in added time, but Rooney also got injured. It was his best ever season IMO)
2. Porto 2004
3. Everton 2012

Also,

Serbia - Australia 1:2 in the 2010 WC. We were coming off a win over Germany and needed only a point to progress, the Aussies were already out. Three missed sitters in the first half, they score with a header and a screamer and that was it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That match vs Arsenal Invincibles when RvN peno hit the bar. If we play it again, we have a good chance to win that and deny the invincibles.

Or that final minute where Aguero hit the Trophy winning goal for the massives. Had it been played again, he would not be able to repeat that.

Bokito

Netherlands - Italy at Euro 2000. We dominated the game, but lost because some players were absolutely incapable to score a penalty. We should’ve entered into the final...

Or what about Stuttgart - Schalke in 2001? Second to last game of the season, and without the Balakov goal in stoppage time, Schalke would’ve been champions.

JohnnyKills

Tbh if we'd lost to Newcastle in October we'd have got Solskjaer two months earlier and would probably have top 4 sewn up by now.

Cal?

CR7 fan
CL final 2009. We weren't that far off of Barca as in 2011, and 5 out of 10 times we'd win that match. Could've been the first team to retain the CL and solidify that team as the best United of all time.
The scandal of Stamford Bridge, any sane ref would have seen Chelsea through and we'd have a much much better chance against Chelsea and become the first team to retain it.

Sir Scott McToMinay

madrid 1-2 (2013)
everton 4-4 (2012)
bayern 3-2 (2010)
chelsea 1-1 (2010)

(these mathes cost us 2 ECL and 2 EPL)
There’s really no guarantee that we would’ve beaten Mourinho’s Inter in the final in 2010, they were better than the team we’ve faced in 2009 and we were significantly worse.
Let alone in 2013, when we would’ve faced Bayern, who were the second best club team I’ve ever seen that season.

Giggs86

The 4-4 with Everton, feck that match and that donkey Jelavic.

No way we were winning that 5 out of 10, I don’t think we’ve had a decent scoring opportunity the entire match, other than that free kick and rebound in the beginning of the match.
We were thoroughly outplayed, our midfield was well and truly schooled that day.
It simply wasn't our day. In 2011 we were outplayed, no argument about that. 2009 was a very balanced game and it just happened that it was their day, their players just wanted it more. We started so good and for some reason lost control of the game as it progressed.

Giggs86

The scandal of Stamford Bridge, any sane ref would have seen Chelsea through and we'd have a much much better chance against Chelsea and become the first team to retain it.
That what makes that loss so annoying. Not that I prefer we've lost to Chelsea, but Barca weren't even supposed to play in that final. And like you said, surely we would have been massive favorites against Hiddink's Chelsea.

mu4c_20le

The Everton 4-4 instantly springs to mind. Win it, we win the league and if the rumours are true maybe Fergie would’ve left that season earlier and we would actually have had a chance at getting a top manager before they were taken in 2013.
A lot of people chose this so im just randomly quoting you rather than everyone. Thought that was an odd reason to replay... chances are that Moyes would simply come in earlier.
Was this the season AGUEROOOOO happened? Then even I'd pick the Everton game. Or better, the 1-6 City game. I'm sure we're not losing that game with that margin.
I thought the deciding match was against Blackburn?

Moriarty

United v. A.C. Milan, European Cup semi-final, second leg, 1969. Law's goal is given by the ref and we go on to win and face Ajax in the final.

That game or England v. West Germany in the 1970 World Cup QF. Charlton stays on and we keep control of the game winning 2-1. Mind you, if we did get past the Italians in the semi, Brazil awaited in the final. But we'd have Banks.

Last edited:

acnumber9

A lot of people chose this so im just randomly quoting you rather than everyone. Thought that was an odd reason to replay... chances are that Moyes would simply come in earlier.

I thought the deciding match was against Blackburn?
He may have but I still don’t think he was first choice. Even if he had we may have sacked him early enough to get Mourinho before he went back to Chelsea. And despite all that happened Mourinho still won a title in his second spell there. Choosing an earlier game has a number of knock on effects that change everything. At least changing anything post Fergie doesn’t make things worse.

Bobski

Dortmund 97. That tie was ridiculous, both Dortmund goals were deflected, Utd missed chance after chance after chance, hit woodwork, had goals disallowed, were clearly the better team but lost.

Madrid 2000, Utd really should have retained the CL that year, allowed a mediocre Madrid team to knock them out and go on to win the whole thing, just panicked after the Keane og and got done on the counter.

Leverkusen in 02(are we seeing a pattern?) Another great chance(and crowd song) wasted

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That match vs Arsenal Invincibles when RvN peno hit the bar. If we play it again, we have a good chance to win that and deny the invincibles.

Or that final minute where Aguero hit the Trophy winning goal for the massives. Had it been played again, he would not be able to repeat that.
Tbf if that City vs QPR match had been replayed, it's highly unlikely QPR would be winning going into stoppage time. Mind you, given what transpired, I'd prefer a comfortable City win. None of us expected City to feck up that final game, then suddenly you're hoping against hope we're gonna win the title and the most cruel of jokes gets played on us. Would have been better had City thumped them 4-0.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Tbf if that City vs QPR match had been replayed, it's highly unlikely QPR would be winning going into stoppage time.
Not a QPR win, just a deserved draw.

City were losing 2-1 before the last 2 goals from Dzeko (92") and Aguero (94"). A replay has a better chance for a draw with QPR battling relegation and so would put up a scrap. And a draw would give us the title by 2 points. The won on GD with the 3 points tying us for overall points.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
Not a QPR win, just a deserved draw.

City were losing 2-1 before the last 2 goals from Dzeko (92") and Aguero (94"). A replay has a better chance for a draw with QPR battling relegation and so would put up a scrap. And a draw would give us the title by 2 points. The won on GD with the 3 points tying us for overall points.
Although in this alternate universe if you assume all other results stay the same, if we would have just lost our match Aguero's goal wouldn't have been so painful and City wouldn't have this incredible moment in their history.

Sir Scott McToMinay

It simply wasn't our day. In 2011 we were outplayed, no argument about that. 2009 was a very balanced game and it just happened that it was their day, their players just wanted it more. We started so good and for some reason lost control of the game as it progressed.
Honestly I disagree, it was beyond that.
We started well in 2011 too, pressed them like crazy for 5 minutes, had a “mini goal scoring opportunity” and they took over from there.
Now, 2009 wasn’t a slaughter like 2011, but they were in complete control of the match and seemed in ease beyond the first 10 minutes iirc.

There was a monumental gap in quality betwern their midfield and ours, with Fletcher or without him.
Maybe if Scholes had a better season we would’ve stood better chance.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
CL final 2009. We weren't that far off of Barca as in 2011, and 5 out of 10 times we'd win that match. Could've been the first team to retain the CL and solidify that team as the best United of all time.
This. We play that match ten times. I think like you say we win about four or five times.

That eto fluke goal killed us.

Dont mention 2011 though. That was a slaughter.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
77 FA cup final. Would have given us a first Treble
Chelsea 14

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
2012 Champions League semifinal against Chelsea at home

2-2

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Man Utd 4-4 Everton 2012. We got too comfortable and let them back into the game. We would've won the league if we held on.

Man utd 1-2 Barcelona 2009. We should've been the first team to win back to back CLs, but got our tactics wrong against them. Although a brilliant team, Barcelona weren't the finished article yet.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
1) Brazil-Italy 1982
2) France-Brazil 1998 with Ronaldo healthy

purgethefallen

From a purely personal standpoint, the 1976 FA Cup final v Southampton.

If we'd won, I wouldn't have had to put up with so much s**t from family, friends and school mates (I lived in the Southampton area at the time).

Also, I wouldn't have been dragged out to see them parade the cup and our house wouldn't have been burgled whilst we were out.

justboy68

Portsmouth semi final in 08. Trebles are the ultimate achievement in football. We should have had another one that year. I was totally devastated by that game.

dbs235

For United the top candidate has to be the UCL vs Bayern in 2010. As has been mentioned a thousand times it could have so easily gone our way and with Lyon and Inter standing in the way then the CL could have easily have been won. That would have been four finals in a row at the very least.

For other teams: Liverpool vs Chelsea in 2014 of course. Chelsea themselves would probably give anything to play Barca 2009 again (with a different referee of course).

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I’d like to see us have another go at the 2006 CL final. I’d like to see us keep everyone (poor Pires) on the field this time!

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Bayern 2010 or the 4-4 against everton for me.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
The slippery game vs. Chelsea is the first that springs to mind. But also..

FA cup final '88 vs. Wimbledon. We would win that 19 out of 20.

Arsenal '89. What a horrible match.

CL final '07. Better team on the day. Probably a bit of karma from Istanbul though :)

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
'99 CL final or the 3-1 win over PSG.
We'll win those games, but just want to live through those emotions again :wenger:

PaulRich

West Ham. Upton Park. 1995. Dominated the game and all we had to do was score. Liverpool did the rest for us.