If You Were Nani Would You Return

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I wouldn't given Mata's resurgence and AdM being played on the wing as opposed to centrally. Not to mention having to look over my shoulder for Adnan.

And that's before we buy Memphis...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
We sold Henriquez.
Source? He's still on loan. There's been no news about him being sold as of yet from any dependable source.

Anyways, given that Nani actually likes this club and has stated that he left just to rejuvenate himself and his career, I wouldn't see why he would really want to leave. He likes to play for us, he'll be playing under a more reputed manager in van Gaal who's also more personal and honest to his players, he'll be playing alongside star players like di Maria, Rooney, de Gea, etc., and he'll be coming back to a club on the rise. Nani, first, will have to listen to what van Gaal wants from him and whether van Gaal will give him chances or not based on the reports he received about Nani's loan spell and through observing him during pre-season.

Given that Nani's been consistently good for Sporting so far, I wouldn't think that van Gaal will easily let him go. However, I wouldn't rule out van Gaal buying Depay at this point given how strongly @NL Max feels about this Depay coming to us. If van Gaal does buy another winger, and if he doesn't let go of 1-2 wingers, Nani will most likely reconsider his future and look to leave, and I'm sure that, after a good loan spell, he'll have several good clubs looking for him all around the world.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I'm sure we're playing 433 next season, as it currently stands next season we have:
Di Maria, Januzaj, Young, Nani, Lingard and Mata who can play wide of the striker.

Like posted above I'm pretty sure Memphis Depay is coming (he's leaving PSV, if we're interested he's coming because of van Gaal). The one I could see leaving to make place for him is Nani.

He's done great on loan (or so I've heard) but he's been loaned out, this must mean that van Gaal saw something in him that he didn't like. It's possible that he's changed van Gaal's opinion since he only had little time to asses him, but I doubt this. Contrary to popular belief, van Gaal has nothing against flair players. They need to be effective to work in his system though, I don't think he rates Nani as good enough.

I personally wouldn't mind to see Nani come back, but I doubt he will. He wouldn't be first choice and he's said he needs trust from a manager. Since he probably would end up on the bench it's maybe best to part ways.

No fachts here, just what I think van Gaal is going to do next season:
LW: Memphis, Young, Lingard
RW: Di Maria, Januzaj, Mata

Annahnomoss

It is going to be a tough window for us. We tailor-made the team for a wingerless formation last year and now Di Maria/Mata are looking like they need to get game time out wide to fit in the team. Fellaini/Herrera has them benched right now in the central roles.

One of Mata/Di Maria can easily play out wide - if we bring in a dribbling winger to the team who loves making off the ball runs. Unfortunately there are hardly any of them around these days except for Hazard, Moura, Neymar, Messi, Sanchez, Ribery, Robben and Reus who are all at strong clubs already.

Blind-Herrera-Di Maria haven't proven yet that they can play together as a central midfield in the manner LVG wants either. The only way we can avoid major sacrifices is if either these three learn how to play together in a central midfield or Mata/Di Maria suddenly become one of the best winger pairing in the world.

Both seem very unlikely.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Source? He's still on loan. There's been no news about him being sold as of yet from any dependable source.

Anyways, given that Nani actually likes this club and has stated that he left just to rejuvenate himself and his career, I wouldn't see why he would really want to leave. He likes to play for us, he'll be playing under a more reputed manager in van Gaal who's also more personal and honest to his players, he'll be playing alongside star players like di Maria, Rooney, de Gea, etc., and he'll be coming back to a club on the rise. Nani, first, will have to listen to what van Gaal wants from him and whether van Gaal will give him chances or not based on the reports he received about Nani's loan spell and through observing him during pre-season.

Given that Nani's been consistently good for Sporting so far, I wouldn't think that van Gaal will easily let him go. However, I wouldn't rule out van Gaal buying Depay at this point given how strongly @NL Max feels about this Depay coming to us. If van Gaal does buy another winger, and if he doesn't let go of 1-2 wingers, Nani will most likely reconsider his future and look to leave, and I'm sure that, after a good loan spell, he'll have several good clubs looking for him all around the world.
I didn't realize there was any controversy over whether we had sold Henriquez or not. So there's just the quotes from the Zagreb coach/director but nothing else?

Part of my thinking is that Van Gaal is looking to spend big, consistently. Nani hasn't seen a single big named winger come to United since his arrival in 2006. He's competed with at 35 year old Giggs and Ronaldo for several years and was undoubtedly behind them both, but once Ronaldo was gone Nani was pretty much first choice. He did compete with Valencia and Young, but I don't think that's the type of player Van Gaal will look to bring in.

I think he could compete with Depay, or an even more expensive winger, when on form Nani is extremely productive, he can score from long range, create for himself and lose defenders dribbling, it's something we've been crying out for all season.

But if he were at a team like Spurs he could be a clear first choice, or at a team in Italy, Germany or France in the CL places outside of the very elite like Juve and Bayern.

Personally I hope he does come back because he's a fantastic asset. I've always been a fan, even for all his frustration, he's one of those rare players than can beat half the opposition himself and slot it home.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I didn't realize there was any controversy over whether we had sold Henriquez or not. So there's just the quotes from the Zagreb coach/director but nothing else?
@Mali_Zeus can confirm for me, hopefully, that the director/chairman (figure of authority) is a known liar in terms of news such as bringing Henriquez in. Other than that, even with the release clause, it's not certain whether Henriquez will leave as our coaches/scouts are keeping a close eye on him and are keeping in touch with him.

Part of my thinking is that Van Gaal is looking to spend big, consistently. Nani hasn't seen a single big named winger come to United since his arrival in 2006. He's competed with at 35 year old Giggs and Ronaldo for several years and was undoubtedly behind them both, but once Ronaldo was gone Nani was pretty much first choice. He did compete with Valencia and Young, but I don't think that's the type of player Van Gaal will look to bring in.

I think he could compete with Depay, or an even more expensive winger, when on form Nani is extremely productive, he can score from long range, create for himself and lose defenders dribbling, it's something we've been crying out for all season.

But if he were at a team like Spurs he could be a clear first choice, or at a team in Italy, Germany or France in the CL places outside of the very elite like Juve and Bayern.

Personally I hope he does come back because he's a fantastic asset. I've always been a fan, even for all his frustration, he's one of those rare players than can beat half the opposition himself and slot it home.
I doubt van Gaal will spend needlessly. He'll only spend in areas where he needs to. The story about Depay coming in is most likely due to our lack of depth with young wingers. After Januzaj and Lingard, we have no one else, and Valencia and Young are both entering their 30's, when they'll start to enter a rapid decline as both are reliant on their pace and quickness unlike Giggs, Figo, and Nedved. I haven't seen us as strongly connected with any other winger at the moment as with Depay.

I'm also hoping that he stays here. He's one of those very few Latin players who loves to play for us and is willing to stay with us for a long time. I just hope he impresses van Gaal enough to give him some place in the first 11. Depay, whilst having an impressive season, won't be as mature as Nani would be (see Luke Shaw at Southampton vs. Luke Shaw here), so Nani will still be valuable for us. However, given that Mata is starting to play out wide more often, our wide options consist of di Maria, Mata, Januzaj, Lingard, (Depay?), Young, and Nani. That's too many wingers for just 2 spots, and we know that van Gaal doesn't really like to work with big squads. As a result, there's a chance that Nani may leave to make way for Januzaj and the new young winger (Depay?) just like how van Gaal sold Toni and Klose for Muller and Lucio for Badstuber.

Mali_Zeus

@Mali_Zeus can confirm for me, hopefully, that the director/chairman (figure of authority) is a known liar in terms of news such as bringing Henriquez in. Other than that, even with the release clause, it's not certain whether Henriquez will leave as our coaches/scouts are keeping a close eye on him and are keeping in touch with him.

Everything brothers Mamić say (one is a coach other is a president and practically an owner although he doesnt own the club legally) you can take with a pinch of salt. They lie plenty of times and are world class bastards ( but that's another story ). There were some quotes from Zoran mamić, a coach, that Dinamo signed Henriquez and he's staying beyond this summer but some of those quoutes are few months old and they died out after a day or 2. Wouldnt be suprised if he was full of shit like he usually is.
There's nothing about him staying permanently on a club's page and in his profiel it states thad Dinamo will buy him if he proves to be good.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well one thing is certain, he is going to leave us in the summer. Our President gave an interview and said that Nani will leave and won´t be loaned again. So either he will stay at United or be sold.

Mark_GrumpyLion

As much as I like Nani and his immense contribution to our club.Can we just move on from conversations such as "he should be given a chance prove himself under the new manager" or "he is still a better player than Valencia or young".It is high time we got rid of players from
Ferguson's era and focus on lvg's vision for our club.
I agree. Even with LvG only staying here for a few years. If he does not rate Nani, tough for the lad.

RedorDead21

Well one thing is certain, he is going to leave us in the summer. Our President gave an interview and said that Nani will leave and won´t be loaned again. So either he will stay at United or be sold.
Probably to Arsenal.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
As much as I like Nani and his immense contribution to our club.Can we just move on from conversations such as "he should be given a chance prove himself under the new manager" or "he is still a better player than Valencia or young".It is high time we got rid of players from
Who says Nani can't be a part of that? A lot of people declared Ashley Young useless and suddenly, he became one of our most consistent performers under van Gaal. I'm not saying the same will happen to Nani, but we'd be foolish to just toss him aside based on his history with us. If he wants to return and prove himself, which he's stated multiple times, then let him return and do so. If it turns out van Gaal doesn't rate him, then we can still sell him but if he does, then we've got ourselves a good winger. It's a fact that Nani has just had a very good season with Sporting and proven that he can still perform at a high level. As I said, we'd be stupid at this point to just give him away.

roseguy64

So get rid of De Gea and Rooney as well?

manutddjw

If I were his agent I'd suggest to him that he leaves. He's going to be 29 next season and the window for him to get a move to a decent club is closing. Going back to Portugal has restored some of his reputation, another season out in the cold at United will erase all of that. I do think he's talented enough to maybe force his way into occupying a spot out wide should Di Maria or Mata get injured.

Alot of it hinges on whether we sign someone in the summer. If we do it's definitely times up for Nani because this is what he'd be facing: Di Maria is our record signing and a top player who'll get special consideration when picking a team. Mata has had a turn in fortune out wide and LvG has spoken of his admiration for the talents of Mata. Januzaj is seen as our future and I think Giggs who has the managers ear, has taken a special interest in his development. You throw in another signing that's another player who'll preferential treatment by the manager. Then there's Young and there's always the possibilty that Rooney plays out wide as a way to get Rooney and RVP in the same starting XI.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nani and Hernandez should go to Juve, with Vidal coming here.
Don´t think Nani would mind that. But i still think he will probably go to Spain to Valência or France to Mónaco if he is sold.

entropy

Who says Nani can't be a part of that? A lot of people declared Ashley Young useless and suddenly, he became one of our most consistent performers under van Gaal. I'm not saying the same will happen to Nani, but we'd be foolish to just toss him aside based on his history with us. If he wants to return and prove himself, which he's stated multiple times, then let him return and do so. If it turns out van Gaal doesn't rate him, then we can still sell him but if he does, then we've got ourselves a good winger. It's a fact that Nani has just had a very good season with Sporting and proven that he can still perform at a high level. As I said, we'd be stupid at this point to just give him away.
Just so you know,he is currently on loan because lvg doesn't rate him.Also,playing in the Portuguese league barely comes close to performing at a high level.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Under ciontract so has little choice. Maybe his good form with Sporting will make LVG think again and give him one last crack? I don't know, I would prefer him to be moved on.
Most players who want away get their way. Yes, they're under contract, and sometimes a club will refuse to sell, but this is the exception. Teams seem to want to have players who actually want to be there.

Of course in the press you must always say you don't want to sell, in order to keep the price high.

Ekeke

Just so you know,he is currently on loan because lvg doesn't rate him.Also,playing in the Portuguese league barely comes close to performing at a high level.
Nani tells the opposite story and he's slightly more believable than you are.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It would depend on whether LVG believes in him or not. At age 28 he won't find many big clubs willing to spend money on him and I wonder if Sporting can match his ambitions

ravelston

Everything brothers Mamić say (one is a coach other is a president and practically an owner although he doesnt own the club legally) you can take with a pinch of salt. They lie plenty of times and are world class bastards ( but that's another story ). There were some quotes from Zoran mamić, a coach, that Dinamo signed Henriquez and he's staying beyond this summer but some of those quoutes are few months old and they died out after a day or 2. Wouldnt be suprised if he was full of shit like he usually is.
There's nothing about him staying permanently on a club's page and in his profiel it states thad Dinamo will buy him if he proves to be good.
Henriquez is still listed in our first team squad. It's pretty clear he's been loaned, not sold.

Mali_Zeus

Henriquez is still listed in our first team squad. It's pretty clear he's been loaned, not sold.
I meant Dinamo's page.
But as I said all Mamić said is load of bollocks. I read in some Croatian papers he will go to Juventus or sthing but that's bollocks too. :)

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's also there because he needed to gain some confidence again and that would've been much more difficult here. He has a new chance to impress now, so he should take it.
The Portuguese league is also not some bush league, hell they still have a club in the CL, so his performances there shouldn't be easily dismissed.

red_7

Considering the turnaround of Ashley Young I wonder what Nani would under LVG!

Drifter

American
Been confirmed apparently that he is coming back to OT ,Can't afford his wages.

OneUnited24

I never did understand why SAF, Moyes and LvG didnt rate the lad. Every game i saw of him i thought there was a lot of promise, albeit from time to time and not consistently.

He must be one of our worst trainer at the club or have a really crap attitude. Personally i think its time he moved on, if we can find a buyer sell him ASAP

Sir A1ex

Been confirmed apparently that he is coming back to OT ,Can't afford his wages.
Good news, let's hope LVG gives him a go. If Nani returns and we pick up Depay as seems likely, than that's the whole winger situation covered without any effort and we can concentrate on CM / CB over the summer.

Water Melon

If Nani comes back let him play on right wing, not on the left. He has shown that he can be absolutely devastating there, and after a successful season with Sporting, will be willing to prove LvG a point.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Good news, let's hope LVG gives him a go. If Nani returns and we pick up Depay as seems likely, than that's the whole winger situation covered without any effort and we can concentrate on CM / CB over the summer.
Di Maria, Depay, Nani, Mata, Young and Januzaj competing for 2 positions. Excessive.

ThanksBoss26

Pretty sure we'll move him on permanently if we can. The spell at Sporting will have put him back in the shop window, so I think a club will come in for him.

Off the top of my head, I don't see any of the players we've sent out on loan coming back and having a future here.