If you were Niall, what words or phrases would you ban from the football forum?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
All of those hipster Italian terms to describe various type of midfielder.

If you are Italian, you're excused. If you are not Italian, you are a pretentious arsewipe.

It's a midfielder. Either an attacking one, a defensive one, or a deep-lying one. that's all.
So just three kinds, then? What about holding midfielder, box to box midfielder, metronome (is that it?)/playmaker etc?

I feel these terms (among others) while they do come across as pretentious actually serve a relevant purpose of being able to describe midfielders who are different from other midfielders. I mean, do gamers want all classes of characters in RPGs to be called 'warriors' or do they prefer different classes for builds that have different skills?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I mean, do gamers want all classes of characters in RPGs to be called 'warriors' or do they prefer different classes for builds that have different skills?
Nerds will insist on their Paladins or Bards or Rogues being correctly named but everyone else will just thinks its nerdy overkill. Same with trequaristas and registas.

The nerds are correct but "normals" will always snigger at nerds.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So just three kinds, then? What about holding midfielder, box to box midfielder, metronome (is that it?)/playmaker etc?

I feel these terms (among others) while they do come across as pretentious actually serve a relevant purpose of being able to describe midfielders who are different from other midfielders. I mean, do gamers want all classes of characters in RPGs to be called 'warriors' or do they prefer different classes for builds that have different skills?
I used to not like using these terms despite knowing them but the reality is that when you are not talking about 442 football, you will quickly find yourself in a situation where roles are vastly different and it's a pain to describe them when you can just use a terms that does it for you. Italians have been the heart of football tactics, they love it and have an extended vocabulary for it.

Also people should remember that for example the term "box to box" has traveled beyond British borders.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nerds will insist on their Paladins or Bards or Rogues being correctly named but everyone else will just thinks its nerdy overkill. Same with trequaristas and registas.

The nerds are correct but "normals" will always snigger at nerds.
Normals are more clueless.

There are discussions where the use of italian terms is merited.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
"Away goals count double"

Well, no, I would never ban that gem of a sentence.

Njord

I'd ban all of them, and make everyone communicate with pictures.

klayton88

I don't understand how twat is fine, yet cnut has to be spelt in the way I just spelled it and that makes it all OK. Both words should warrant a ban.

Owen06

"Your post has been rejected"

It's a newbie's worst nightmare.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
“We’ll make it back in a year in shirt sales”

stevoc

Hate when people put /thread. No, there’s more opinions to hear and the one you agree with isn’t necessarily right.

Also a new one starting to pop up regular is when a poster replies to something they disagree with, with “let’s not......”
/thread

vodrake

The whinging of "They were there for the taking" about teams that maybe under-performed, but were in no way, shape or form just "there for the taking"

Last edited:

zeekey

“Meh”

“That game was meh”. “He’s a bit meh”.

Just use a real word(s) for describing something.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Any posts about Ed Woodward.

The amount of cretins here that think they can judge how well he is doing, despite having absolutely no knowledge whatsoever what he is responsible for on the day-to-day is fecking mind-boggling.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
A, An, The, Is, was, has, were, have, Because, How, What, When, Where, Why, Football, Manchester, United, Match, Old, Trafford, Home, Away, Formation, Pass, Shoot, Attack, Defend.

I've never seen it used but does seem a bit too American