If you're Ole in, how much time will you give him?

RkkMan

We did crash out from a position where we should never have done so. Let's not forget however that the group we entered contained last years finalists and semi-finalists. We were not drawn into an easy group. Let's also remember that the CL final Poch did reach, he shoehorned an injured Kane into the starting line-up which ultimately cost them as it affected their setup. I don't wish to derail the conversation on the CL group as I am sure there are better places for that chat to take place.
So Poch is a bad manager for playing an unfit Kane in a final(their first ever CL final BTW) but Ole can get no criticism for constantly playing Rashford with injections even though he had a BACK INJURY for weeks???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
At least he actually got them to the final despite spending nothing the previous summer

croadyman

He'll get to the end of the season, that's guaranteed. And if we try to think 'big picture' from the club's perspective it makes sense.

That gives Ed 6/7 months to plan out the structure of the club to move it up a level. Feel out other managers, discuss with the board the direction (do we want young and dynamic, or premier-league proven?) and then lay the ground work to get them in as soon as Ole is out. They could even bring in a DoF now, to start working towards the players that will fit into the system of the next manager, or to fit into the 'United system'. Then the players and new manager can all be in place and ready to have a great preseason, solidfying the squad as a group and really setting us up for success.

I know, parody is easy and lame.

In reality, Ed will spend the next 6 months doing whatever it is he does with each day, wait until Top 4 is mathematically impossible, fire Ole, put in Carrick and Phil Jones as he's on the books anyway and then start calling agents of out of work and past it managers to see who might be available. We'll sell Pogba to Juve, use the money to cover the covid losses and ensure the dividends get paid and then sign whichever 35 year old's contract just expired (maybe Modric this time?) on deadline day, claiming victory at the twitters.
Quite frankly the only thing WOODY should be planning to do in the next six months is to move himself to the commercial side and bring in a DOF

However we all know he doesn't give a shit about winning things just making money so unfortunately we will just carry on with that crappy old fashioned structure for years.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Great post. Need a good league season indeed. I guess the thread calls for an objective evaluation of "good". What do you reckon?
I honestly don't know what good looks like this season. Its something that can only really be evaluated at the end. I've backed United to win it recently, not because I think we will but because we looked very overpriced at 25/1. I'd have backed any of the top sides at that price.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Quite frankly the only thing WOODY should be planning to do in the next six months is to move himself to the commercial side and bring in a DOF

However we all know he doesn't give a shit about winning things just making money so unfortunately we will just carry on with that crappy old fashioned structure for years.
Clubs that value making money over winning things don't take €40m punts on 18 year old wingers. That's a club that are committed to, and willing to gamble on, building a great team.

croadyman

Clubs that value making money over winning things don't take €40m punts on 18 year old wingers. That's a club that are committed to, and willing to gamble on, building a great team.
Why are you defending WOODY because he is the reason we have kept changing managers for the last seven years

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why are you defending WOODY because he is the reason we have kept changing managers for the last seven years
I'm not defending anybody. Just pointing out something in your post that I don't believe to be true.

croadyman

I'm not defending anybody. Just pointing out something in your post that I don't believe to be true.
If he actually was bothered about achieving things he would accept we need a proper DOF and do the right thing and step aside.

No wonder all we seem to hear about a new manager is Poch well that's because he isn't seemingly willing to look at all options,mind you like I said above it's a joke he is the one doing it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is that you Woody?

We signed said winger because we refused to pay for the world class winger we chased all summer.

Same reason Ole Glazer Solskjaer is here. Cheaper option. He’s a good yes man & he’ll accept a lower wage to every alternative.

We’re very much about filling the Glazers pockets.

croadyman

Is that you Woody?

We signed said winger because we refused to pay for the world class winger we chased all summer.

Same reason Ole Glazer Solskjaer is here. Cheaper option. He’s a good yes man & he’ll accept a lower wage to every alternative.

Yeah I think it is Woody you are bang on,makes me feel physically sick he can't be bothered to appoint a DOF and would rather stay with this horrible old fashioned structure

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If he actually was bothered about achieving things he would accept we need a proper DOF and do the right thing and step aside.

No wonder all we seem to hear about a new manager is Poch well that's because he isn't seemingly willing to look at all options, mind you like I said above it's a joke he is the one doing it.
By most accounts Woodward is hardly involved in the football side of United at all, beyond that which is directly finance related.

You only hear about Poch because he is available. 1+1=2 in the gutter press. You obviously don't have any idea who we might have on a shortlist for our next manager. Nobody does.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Is that you Woody?

Yeah I think it is Woody you are bang on,makes me feel physically sick he can't be bothered to appoint a DOF and would rather stay with this horrible old fashioned structure
You're both nuts, do you know that?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not Ole in but I would give him till the end of season. If he fails to make top 4 then just like the previous managers, he needs to get sacked. It's only fair.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yeah that clown WOODY has made me feel like that
Don't you find that to be a problem? I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that you aren't intimately familiar with how the club is structured, or the parameters of his role as CEO. I'm not either by the way, but I'm also not sitting here being mad about something I don't properly understand.

croadyman

Don't you find that to be a problem? I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that you aren't intimately familiar with how the club is structured, or the parameters of his role as CEO. I'm not either by the way, but I'm also not sitting here being mad about something I don't properly understand.
I just cannot get my head around why he isn't willing to appoint a sporting director,you say that he cares about success on the pitch,ok so why won't he bring someone in who has the football knowledge to help identify the right players

jamesjimmybyrondean

Give him till the Villa game in early January before the international break then assess where we are. If we are still trying to find our feet then he goes if we are in a decent position then give him till the end of the season. Should get the sack if we don't qualify for the champions league

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I just cannot get my head around why he isn't willing to appoint a sporting director,you say that he cares about success on the pitch,ok so why won't he bring someone in who has the football knowledge to help identify the right players
Maybe the club believe that a DoF isn't necessary in our structure. Maybe they've been looking for 5 years and haven't found a candidate they can work with. Maybe, like me, they share the belief that a sporting director isn't a guaranteed great thing, and that the position is just as prone to failure as a managers job is.

Who knows? He might not be a football expert, but he is obviously not an idiot.

Raveneye

Not Ole in but I would give him till the end of season. If he fails to make top 4 then just like the previous managers, he needs to get sacked. It's only fair.
I'm Ole in and I agree. Not getting champions league football would be a regression from last season.

VP

Do you seriously believe that our current owners would choose to win the CL over making more money?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Do you seriously believe that our current owners would choose to win the CL over making more money?
I think they are probably smart enough to realise that success and long term financial health go hand in hand.

youmeletsfly

The day he actually has a a plan, grows a dick and starts fecking changing players when he needs to, I'll back him.
I'm no hater but you can't say this team has a pattern of play. We look like lost souls, especially in the 1st half.

Good man, bang average coach.

VP

I think they are probably smart enough to realise that success and long term financial health go hand in hand.
Yes to an extent but they clearly value money over footballing success - especially since success for them is just about qualifying for the CL.

Greck

There is zero evidence he is. He had a far better and balanced squad than Ole has ever had and got beaten to a league title by bloody Ranieri. Coaching a team that were nearly relegated the previous season.
Yeah maybe he should have gotten Southampton relegated and gone back to Argentina to win some obscure trophies in his hometown club. Then his CV would be better than the managers who actually competed and failed to win the premier league. Cos Logic

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That makes very little sense.

Signing an 18 year old who won't feature at all for who knows how long for 40 mill (with potential add-ons) as a "cheaper option" to Sancho would be insane. And it would have absolutely nothing to do with penny pinching.

What would fit your narrative (as I understand it) is signing a sub-par (compared to Sancho) established player for a significantly lower fee (than what Dortmund demanded for Sancho). But that never happened.

Taking a 40 mill punt on a kid simply doesn't jibe at all with the idea that United are penny pinching.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yes to an extent but they clearly value money over footballing success - especially since success for them is just about qualifying for the CL.
They obviously aren't the frivolous 'all for the love of the club' type owners they we'd like, but there aren't many of those to go around and we are victims of our own success in that department. The club are too expensive to attract that type of ownership.

CL qualification is massive for any club, but you are describing a situation where our board are discussing the minimum amount of investment required to finish 4th, and having that as our main driver. I dont think that I believe that to be the case. I think that they are trying to get the club into a position liked it used to be, where we have a team strong enough to make top 4 failure a highly unlikely scenario.

gza the genius

The only reason I'm not fully Ole out is because I think whoever we bring in next is doomed anyway. The Glazer's and Ed do not care about moving forward, they care about maintaining their cash flow while doing as little as possible. This summer was a huge opportunity to upgrade and take us to the next level and here we are 3 months later and already out of the UCL again. What's the point in firing Ole if the new manager won't be backed.

That said, I do think Ole has proven he's not up to it. The inconsistency and ineptitude all over the pitch screams of a side without direction. Our defense is a complete shambles again and our attackers just bail us out with individual pieces of brilliance, unless they dont and then we lose.

croadyman

The only reason I'm not fully Ole out is because I think whoever we bring in next is doomed anyway. The Glazer's and Ed do not care about moving forward, they care about maintaining their cash flow while doing as little as possible. This summer was a huge opportunity to upgrade and take us to the next level and here we are 3 months later and already out of the UCL again. What's the point in firing Ole if the new manager won't be backed.

That said, I do think Ole has proven he's not up to it. The inconsistency and ineptitude all over the pitch screams of a side without direction. Our defense is a complete shambles again and our attackers just bail us out with individual pieces of brilliance, unless they dont and then we lose.
I am Ole out and have been since he got appointed on a permanent basis,however totally agree with you about our board and owners not giving a shit. We are also like you say far too inconsistent and this constant reliance on individual brilliance just drags me down

Crustanoid

It will be 2030 and we will be on our 17th manager post-SAF and people will still be spending hours on ‘Manager X out’ posts whilst wilfully neglecting the owners and board.

croadyman

It will be 2030 and we will be on our 17th manager post-SAF and people will still be spending hours on ‘Manager X out’ posts whilst wilfully neglecting the owners and board.
There is no way I will ever neglect slagging off our owners and board because they are the exact reason we have missed out on some top managers these last 7 years.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That makes very little sense.

Signing an 18 year old who won't feature at all for who knows how long for 40 mill (with potential add-ons) as a "cheaper option" to Sancho would be insane. And it would have absolutely nothing to do with penny pinching.

What would fit your narrative (as I understand it) is signing a sub-par (compared to Sancho) established player for a significantly lower fee (than what Dortmund demanded for Sancho). But that never happened.

Taking a 40 mill punt on a kid simply doesn't jibe at all with the idea that United are penny pinching.
It’s not 40 mil. It’s 18 potentially rising to 37.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yeah maybe he should have gotten Southampton relegated and gone back to Argentina to win some obscure trophies in his hometown club. Then his CV would be better than the managers who actually competed and failed to win the premier league. Cos Logic
Thanks for sharing your weak grip on logic. I hope it was worth it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It’s not 40 mil. It’s 18 potentially rising to 37.
Yes, I said that (potential add-ons).

But if you're penny pinching on principle, why would you bother with taking punts at all on kids who may come to nothing? Nearly 20 mill (disregarding the add-ons) is still big money for a kid.

Again - your argument seems to be that the kid was bought as a "cheaper option" to Sancho.

The people you - seemingly - think are penny pinching on principle also sanctioned the Sanchez deal. How does that insanely stupid business fit in with the narrative? How about DDG's new contract? How about keeping squad players around on contracts which make it notoriously difficult to move them on - and renewing/improving those contracts?

All of that points to incompetence - nobody will deny that. But it doesn't jibe at all with the idea that the owners have been penny pinching. The general impression is that the Glazers are wasting money - not that they're pathologically averse to spending it.

Last edited:

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Nah, thats just because it's what it looked like last time I checked the table :lol:
Not only you, even the Stretford Paddock (YouTube) guys kept saying, at least we are 4th in the league in the analysis video after Leipzig defeat.