If you're Ole in, how much time will you give him?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm Ole in or at least I don't want him sacked immediately.

I would give him until the end of the season and see where we're at.

While some things have been positive, he has shown weakness in big moments and we're very rough around the edges with the moment of excellence.

Frothing at the mouth Ole outters need not post.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think Ole has done as well as anyone could have hoped for, and has been a positive for the club. It is also blatantly obvious that he has taken us as far as he possibly can, and we need someone who knows how to coach the team now. Our issues are 100% due to poor coaching. Our player quality is fine. Our mentality is fine. It's the fecking horrendous coaching and every game everyone looking clueless tactically and relying on individual quality to pull something out of nothing.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
End of season, at least. He has done more positives last two seasons than any other manager post SAF. Overall he has lifted the club up and taken it in the right direction. The question is if he has what he needs to take the last few steps up towards the top. That remains to be seen.

RonaldoVII

One of the only reasons I'm not Ole Out is because the structure at the club is rotten and swapping manager won't change that. Still, he's making some shocking decisions managing the club.

The United

End of season. In or out. It is the only make sense thing to do.

Unless our form dives to the bottom.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This season. If we don't make top 4 then it could get sticky.

Enfant terrible

Lifetime. Many things are rotten but Ole ain't one of them.
What we conceded against bashaksehir and tonight... that has got nothing to do with tactics.

Jonno

He’s not even close to getting sacked

He has earnt the rest of the season. Finishing 3rd last season and currently being in and around the top 4 earns him the right to continue his work until something goes drastically wrong

Narrowly avoiding qualification from arguably the toughest group whilst disappointing; is not drastically enough for him to get the sack. Sorry knee-jerkers

Saddy

I'm so on the fence I could go either way but it depends on whether we fancy Poch because he won't be available in the summer

Tarrou

He’s not even close to getting sacked

He has earnt the rest of the season. Finishing 3rd last season and currently being in and around the top 4 earns him the right to continue his work
I don't think he's a million miles away tbh

if he loses three on the bounce he'll be lucky to survive it

Member 90887

Starting to have doubts now.

The thing is, even if he is sacked now, there's no one available to replace him, and please people, don't talk about Pochettino.

The problem is not Ole for me, but the board. However, the board is still gonna be here way after Ole. It looks like the only solution is finding someone that can win despite the board (like SAF did before). Is there anyone available that would get close to that?

Crashoutcassius

Ole has rebuilt the club from a fairly sorry state, and can probably progress us beyond this but probably with a ceiling, especially given how competitive the top of the league has been and will probably end up this season (you'd have needed high 90s to 100pts to win, which SAF never got in many many attempts).

I think the club could very easily go backwards with the next step, by appointing Allegri or someone similarly insane. Fans would need to recognise that Poch means total rebuild, Greenwood frozen out, a totally totally different direction. There is probably a correct decision the club could work towards over the next several months of the right type of different direction, but they have shown over and over they will make the wrong decision, so it would be better to get a manager that builds in the same direction as we have been building in the absence of the club appointing someone that can start from scratch intelligently.

I think the squad is top 4 quality and Ole needs to do that again, and I think thats probably it this season without going into intangibles. There are 'fans' on this forum that say the squad is better than top 4 quality, that is is high 90s points quality, but they aren't worth listening to, they don't actually believe that they are just so desperate for a point given that Ole has had very good results over the last year.

We go out of this group fairly unfortunately on the balance, is that way below expectation? I think it is approx where my expectations were given we are against two of the best 4 teams in the world from last season and we didn't meaningfully improve over summer. I think expectation is that we narrowly went through or narrowly went out, we narrowly went out.

In the league over the last year we are approx on course with my expectations. If he can't get top 4 this year then Woodward hasn't much hope of improving the squad in summer and we might as well give up on this then and look at the next guy

arthurka

I don't know, thought he should be allowed to stay till the end of the season. But I am beginning to lean towards new year

Nickelodeon

A couple months. If we’re actually able to turn up in the league, we could be in the mix for a longer period. The period till halfway will give us a view whether we’re top 4 strugglers or somewhere higher. If we’re in the same position as last year, sack him.

MattofManchester

It's important to note that Ed said they are backing Ole's "project", meaning he may be here for a few years.

However, Champions League is a priority and were he not to get it, that would indeed be a problem.

As tragic as this is, there is no manager we could reliably go to right now.

Might be best to wait out the season and query Rose, Nagelsmann or Hassenhutl in the meantime.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I would give Ole til the end of the season and see where we at. Top 4 and a new EL final (that we’ll win hopefully) - is minimum.

We wouldn’t win the CL this year anyway, let’s be honest.

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'm Ole in or at least I don't want him sacked immediately.

I would give him until the end of the season and see where we're at.

While some things have been positive, he has shown weakness in big moments and we're very rough around the edges with the moment of excellence.

Frothing at the mouth Ole outters need not post.
Solskjaer is doing a good job. I find it a bit weird that people don't think he is.

Granted, I'm envious sometimes when I look at other teams or how other coaches approach football (good example from RB coach tonight) but we finished 3rd in the league last season and we're currently 4th in the league just 3 points off top (with a game in hand).

Its raw now because we just lost in a really poor way. But Ole is in absolutely no danger of getting sacked. None.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'd give him until top four is no longer attainable then pull the trigger.

I honestly couldn't say where we'll finish this season due to inconsistency in the team. The management probably feels the same way as we do.

Son

Lifetime. Many things are rotten but Ole ain't one of them.
What we conceded against bashaksehir and tonight... that has got nothing to do with tactics.
Isn’t that nepotism in a way?

In charge of the biggest club in the world despite having a poor coaching career for the role originally and keeps in the job despite underwhelming again and again.

All this against clubs with not even a quarter of the budget we have after spending hundreds of millions on players at the fans expense.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We have to get top 4.

Woody could pencil in a review meeting in mid January. If things have gone pear shaped by then try and make a change: but I don’t want Poch!

If Ole can get past that review, then end of season target is top 4 and reach final of Europa (give up on domestic cups). If he can’t do that, then change in the summer.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
End of the season for me, longer if we take some silverware. Olé earned that by finishing 3rd last season.
Yup, tonight is a kick in the balls but maybe it’s a blessing in disguise? We were never going to win the CL but we could take a cup or even this seasons crazy PL. Focus on domestic issues and win something this season.

For what it’s worth, for me Poch isn’t the answer. If he was so great he’d have won something with spurs, and he’d have a top job already.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Probably end of season and I'd want a trophy and top 4. And no more brain dead tactical decisions. I keep banging on about it, but another incident like the Fred red card and I'm Ole out.

I'd also get itchy feet if another club got Poch in the mean time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Till end of contract
This is where I'm at

Firstly I'm not seeing any obvious upgrades. We need a proven winner who plays the football players who come to Man Utd want to play. It's the latter why it didn't work out for Mourinho here, our players after the first year and a half got fed up with it

Secondly the one constant since Fergie is the board so even if we find that attacking proven winner of a manager they'd still fail under this board

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If the best possible candidate United want is available now (not an interim) then now. Otherwise wait until the right candidate is available.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

History says you're wrong. Look at how things were when Moyes, LVG and Mou were sacked.

diarm

I'm Ole in and have been one of his biggest cheerleaders on here throughout. But he's lost serious marks in my book over the last 2 CL games. Silly, needless, naive decision making - a lack of balls when it mattered and a lack of basic joined up thinking the rest of the time.

I still don't think there is anyone coming in and fixing this United under the current ownership and board, and because of this I still prefer Ole in charge. A new coach will come in with ambitions, quickly realise those ambitions aren't matched by his bosses and things will turn sour - just as they did under Van Gaal and Jose.

But my faith in Ole ever surpassing the low expectations of how astute and effective a manager he can be is slowly evaporating.

Jonno

I can assure you, United haven’t in my lifetime sacked a manager when they’ve had a decent chance of hitting their targets for the season

Why on earth would he be sacked after 14 PL games and being approx 9 points off the top, as you mention they lose 3 on the bounce? Not a chance that will happen.

Church o Choccy

I think it's fair to give him until the end of the season bar an absolute disaster (ie if we went on a ten game losing streak, out of all cups etc.)

That said I think if we don't see a marked improvement in performances between now and then I'd expect us to replace him, even if we scrape 4th. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season though and if in May we're playing good football, comfortably third, dominating inferior teams and maybe picking up a cup then I could see justification for calling that a year on year improvement and backing him for another season.

On current evidence I think that's not the most likely scenario but I think it's fair to give him the opportunity until then to try and turn it around.

OleBoiii

I still don't think he has a good enough team to challenge for the title. This is a weird season so it may be an exception, but anything can happen.

Because of that, I would give him another summer transfer window if we finish top 4. Then it's down to the club to give us the necessary players(goalscorer, DM and maybe a defender).

I don't blame him for failing to advance from the hardest group. PSG + the second best team in Germany(always severily underrated by United fans for some reason) can't be taken for granted.

SirAnderson

I was/am/not sure/ Ole in.
Right now, with the emotions raw, I'd rip the bandaid and get Poch or someone in before the end of the year.
But end of the season is probably a better idea.

Skills

Snitch
4 years. I'd also give Donald Trump another 4 years.

Let the these two cult leaders shape the future inside and outside of football.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not sure about Ole but I certainly won't give any of you lot sucking him off after this embarrassment today the time of day.

Pathetic standards.