If you're Ole in, how much time will you give him?

CM

End of the season, barring a disastrous run of form. There does need to be tangible progress made though, a cup win and/or some form of challenge in the league.

We’re so Liverpool in the 90’s it’s untrue. You know they gave Souness 3 years? And Roy Evans 4? Houllier and Rafa both got 6 years each :lol:
Took em 20 years before they just started firing at will and quickly giving another bloke a go if someone seemed not up to it. And hey presto....

We’ll forever be looking for the next Fergie it seems, where time & loyalty will conquer all. Just like it did so well for the scousers.

Green_Red

Probably end of season and I'd want a trophy and top 4. And no more brain dead tactical decisions. I keep banging on about it, but another incident like the Fred red card and I'm Ole out.

I'd also get itchy feet if another club got Poch
in the mean time.
What do you mean? You'd go and support another club? Not sure you've used that phrase correctly mate.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
End of the season but if covid continues maybe longer.

Deery

Dreary
A heavy defeat on Saturday and I feel his time will be running out

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I'd give him until top four is no longer attainable then pull the trigger.

I honestly couldn't say where we'll finish this season due to inconsistency in the team. The management probably feels the same way as we do.
The only correct answer.

passing-wind

I think Ole has done as well as anyone could have hoped for, and has been a positive for the club. It is also blatantly obvious that he has taken us as far as he possibly can, and we need someone who knows how to coach the team now. Our issues are 100% due to poor coaching. Our player quality is fine. Our mentality is fine. It's the fecking horrendous coaching and every game everyone looking clueless tactically and relying on individual quality to pull something out of nothing.
Might as well just end the thread with no further responses needed beyond this description. It's entirely accurate Ole has achieved the maximum he can to his capabilities. He was never a long term option on the basis of his limited tactical approach.

Quinze

Until getting into CL becomes out of reach as usual, but he has to go at the end of the season anyway. Unless of course there is a dramatic improvement in the performances and we win silverware.

L1nk

For everyone saying until the end of contract, or end of season. Who do we get? Pochettino might not be available in the summer or beyond, so thats one candidate gone, whether he's wanted or not, then who? I'd be absolutely shocked if Nagelsmann came here, then who, Allegri? Football would be awful.

You want your cake and to be able to eat it, he should be gotten rid of as soon as a better replacement is available, which there may not be when you all want him to have more time and just hope the timings line up with a better replacement

Skåre Willoch

Give him until the end of the season. If we’re actual contenders in the league and finish with a better points total than last season, I’d start next season with him as well.

NotQuiteManc

I think Ole has done as well as anyone could have hoped for, and has been a positive for the club. It is also blatantly obvious that he has taken us as far as he possibly can, and we need someone who knows how to coach the team now. Our issues are 100% due to poor coaching. Our player quality is fine. Our mentality is fine. It's the fecking horrendous coaching and every game everyone looking clueless tactically and relying on individual quality to pull something out of nothing.
I agree. He did well, or as well as he could but everyone needs to accept that this team deserves better manager/coach. With all the talents available, this team should be playing better or at least more cohesively as a team.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I don’t want Poch and I don’t want Allegri. The only time to get them for me would be if things go really bad.
Currently there isn’t a realistic option available who would massively improve us. And looking back since SAF’s retirement, there hasn’t been a single manager who has even achieved top 4 twice in a row with us. You can’t talk about winning the PL if you aren’t even making top 4 constantly.
If Ole finishes top 4 this season then he will stay and I will be fine with it.
If not then we all know he will and should leave.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Ive been ole out since the day he got the job.. they literally gave the interim manager the job before the season even finished. It was dumb as feck.

Since then there has been some silver linings.. but i find myself more more displeased with this club than i have ever been. Today i lost it. I usually just sulk about my house when we are trash but today i was yelling in anger. I knew from the moment i saw the line up we would be in trouble.. Actually alot of the times it seems like everyone see the errors ole is making or about to make except for him.

If it was up to me id have sacked him over a dozen times by now. The united board is terrible and has destroyed this club. In this regard ole isnt completely to blame but he simply isnt good enough and never will be. The fact hes still in the job and was ever given the job is among the long list of failures this club has post fergie. He will never win a trophy. He will never challenge for anything.

His legacy, his extra time goal mean nothing to me anymore. Which is completely pathetic and sad to say as a long time united fan. Sadly though at this point I despised ole.. hes a spineless coward.

Wayne's World

I don’t want Poch and I don’t want Allegri. The only time to get them for me would be if things go really bad.
Currently there isn’t a realistic option available who would massively improve us. And looking back since SAF’s retirement, there hasn’t been a single manager who has even achieved top 4 twice in a row with us. You can’t talk about winning the PL if you aren’t even making top 4 constantly.
If Ole finishes top 4 this season then he will stay and I will be fine with it.
If not then we all know he will and should leave.
I'm sorry but how could you believe this is true? How?

Poch, Allegri, Rose, Naglesmann, Luis Enrique, Zidane(If he's about to be sacked), Rodgers etc literally any manager with a CV that doesn't include relegating Cardiff and managing Molde will improve us

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I'm sorry but how could you believe this is true? How?

Poch, Allegri, Rose, Naglesmann, Luis Enrique, Zidane(If he's about to be sacked), Rodgers etc literally any manager with a CV that doesn't include relegating Cardiff and managing Molde will improve us
No, most of them won’t. While we are at it let’s also include Arteta in your list. Way more proven and successful managers like Jose and LvG couldn’t improve us, so who says others will? And I can’t be bothered to change manager again just for a slight improvement or a League / FA Cup / EL win in 3-5 years.
I won’t even bother discussing the likes of Rodgers or Poch here, I don’t rate them much. For me it’s simple, if Ole doesn’t make top 4 again then there’s no consistency (same as previous managers) and he has to go.

Wayne's World

No, most of them won’t. While we are at it let’s also include Arteta in your list. Way more proven and successful managers like Jose and LvG couldn’t improve us, so who says others will? And I can’t be bothered to change manager again just for a slight improvement or a League / FA Cup / EL win in 3-5 years.
I won’t even bother discussing the likes of Rodgers or Poch here, I don’t rate them much. For me it’s simple, if Ole doesn’t make top 4 again then there’s no consistency (same as previous managers) and he has to go.
Because that's football though, you keep sacking managers until you get the one is right. If Klopp or Pep weren't doing their stuff they would be sacked also but they are. We will never ever get another Sir Alex ever again. If we keep appointing managers and they fail, so be it until we find the right one which we know will take us forward.

owlo

I'm Ole in or at least I don't want him sacked immediately.

I would give him until the end of the season and see where we're at.

While some things have been positive, he has shown weakness in big moments and we're very rough around the edges with the moment of excellence.

Frothing at the mouth Ole outters need not post.
I'm Ole out, but pretty much want the same as you. I'd let him run to the end of the season barring any disaster, because I don't think he's that bad that changing him now would do us much good. I wouldn't let him make any significant signings or contract decisions though. That's a hard deadline for me. We start planning our transition today, knowing OGS and Pogba will be gone.

Web of Bissaka

A lot of my posts scream that I'm Ole-out.
Not really, I'm more of a realistic supporter, in the middle, partial Ole-in and partial Ole-out. I want Ole to succeed but that's just an empty feeling, a wish. Being realistic to real situation is a must. It all depends on what the managers are doing and the improvements + contributions. So far it's is declining and growing more harmful than good.

I'll give him until mid of January then assess if he should be given more time or not. Meanwhile, if I'm in charge at the club, I'll use a "safe trustworthy middleman" to start contacting suitors already... in fact this should always be done to always prepare for contingencies and to keep managers on their toes. No idea what our club is doing.

TLDR/
Until mid of January. Then asses, to give him more time or not.

G-MUFC

We’re so Liverpool in the 90’s it’s untrue. You know they gave Souness 3 years? And Roy Evans 4? Houllier and Rafa both got 6 years each :lol:
Took em 20 years before they just started firing at will and quickly giving another bloke a go if someone seemed not up to it. And hey presto....

We’ll forever be looking for the next Fergie it seems, where time & loyalty will conquer all. Just like it did so well for the scousers.
I have to agree with this. United need to move quickly. Ole will never get us passing and pressing to the level that Nagelsmann has got this Leipzig team. Ole will certainly never get us to the level Liverpool are at now with Klopp.

We can keep doing the same things over and over again with Ole and expecting different results, or we can actually appoint a manager and a coaching team that has the ability to get us winning Premier Leagues and European Cups.

Tapori

Happy for another season after this too.
Play is decent but very inconsistent.
Has to make big defensive decisions.
Done good youth work.
Need to see end of season doesn't end up as current Arsenal type form.

The issue with most Ole out is that they know damn well tat if their chosen manager comes in they'll say the same thing when that manager is in this situation.

Many will be pleasantly surprised with the standard of youth coming through the ranks. It ranks as possibly the best batch of potential we have had. I'd want Ole to intergrate that a la Mason over the next few years.

Truly, I would be happy for us challenging decently, developing over the next few years under ole but i am worried that we simply don't have a good defence and Ole is too accommodating

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole gets till May for me barring a disaster before then. Then we reassess. If we get back to back top 4 spots and maybe win a cup then it's progress. If we miss out he will likely go.

I’m not Ole in. But I don’t think he’s as bad or as clueless as people make out. On the contrary I think he’s been one of our best two managers for the long term development of the team since SAF left.

Van Gaal great coach and tactician but abysmal in transfer windows and didn’t have the players needed to implement his total football. Left us better than when he took over. But board ruined it by hiring Jose, probably should have given LVG an extra year and fully backed him in the transfer market.

Ole great in the window, well our best windows have been under him. Good man management of players but limited as a coach and tactician. If he leaves at the right time, we’ll be better than when he took over. Honestly, I think the right time was in the summer. Another manager could have built on the great work Ole has done and taken us to a level that is above Ole’s capability. Make no mistake Ole has done great work, with our young strikers, with our midfield, our squad is now very good. But needs a better coach to play at its full potential

Last edited:

croadyman

Pull the trigger before it's too late but won't happen so just accept he is here until the board realise our finances are going to be greatly affected by being knocked out

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
About half two on Boxing Day. Though I think I'm actually doing late Christmas celebrations then, so let's make it the 27th.

Shark

@NotShark
Until he's gone I couldn't really be arsed. We've played some good football in very short lived doses, but ultimately we've never amounted to anything competitively. Squeezed into top four last season but needed Leicester and Chelsea to have mini impositions to do so. Still crawled over the line.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Lifetime. Many things are rotten but Ole ain't one of them.
What we conceded against bashaksehir and tonight... that has got nothing to do with tactics.
I see that Liverpool fans are making accounts on RedCafe.

peridigm

I've been Ole in since the beginning but I'm starting to sway the other way.

Here are the reasons.
1) Something is wrong with our coaching or lack of.
2) Starting lineups and subs are all over the place, or he waits too long to make a change. Fred against PSG for instance. A non footballing person could have seen that coming.
3) Players lack motivation. We start matches so chill sometimes and never get going until our backs are against the wall. Comebacks are great but you can't think that will work every match.
4) He has some favorites he plays no matter what. Not enough accountability for players that are consistently shit, yet start every match.
5) Zero consistency in our tactics and effort.

My fear in sacking Ole now or even at the end of the season is that we'll appoint another unproven manager and he won't be backed by the club and we'll be starting over. I'm just sick of this team at the moment. We've been up for some big games under his reign but 2 out or 3 of our most important matches in the last 6 months have gone very wrong.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’ve been Ole in for the longest time. I think he deserved time to put his imprint on the squad. There’s lots of positives to take from his reign but at the end of the day, we as a club have to set the highest standards. Group stage CL exit after a complete capitulation just isn’t good enough. And at the end of the day, results do matter. It’s time for Poch.

always_hoping

Will be same as last season or should be for most of the Ole in supporters.

Finish at least 4th in the league or win the Europa league to be manager again next season.

hobbers

Not even going to go into all the different ways this is wrong.

Many will be pleasantly surprised with the standard of youth coming through the ranks. It ranks as possibly the best batch of potential we have had. I'd want Ole to intergrate that a la Mason over the next few years.

Truly, I would be happy for us challenging decently, developing over the next few years under ole but i am worried that we simply don't have a good defence and Ole is too accommodating
:lol: This is the same thing said literally every year about every batch of youngsters, going back to 2005 and earlier.

Developing over the next few years with Ole, what terrifying lack of ambition. Liverpool 25 years barren spell here we come.

Tapori

Not even going to go into all the different ways this is wrong.

:lol: This is the same thing said literally every year about every batch of youngsters, going back to 2005 and earlier.

Developing over the next few years with Ole, what terrifying lack of ambition. Liverpool 25 years barren spell here we come.
Guilty. All I can say is I have my sources close to the club. Feel free to dismiss. Mason shows this isn't fantasy. The biggest prospect is Mejbri.

Tapori

I've been Ole in since the beginning but I'm starting to sway the other way.

Here are the reasons.
1) Something is wrong with our coaching or lack of.
2) Starting lineups and subs are all over the place, or he waits too long to make a change. Fred against PSG for instance. A non footballing person could have seen that coming.
3) Players lack motivation. We start matches so chill sometimes and never get going until our backs are against the wall. Comebacks are great but you can't think that will work every match.
4) He has some favorites he plays no matter what. Not enough accountability for players that are consistently shit, yet start every match.
5) Zero consistency in our tactics and effort.

My fear in sacking Ole now or even at the end of the season is that we'll appoint another unproven manager and he won't be backed by the club and we'll be starting over. I'm just sick of this team at the moment. We've been up for some big games under his reign but 2 out or 3 of our most important matches in the last 6 months have gone very wrong.
Fair

caid

I'd let him go after City, his management has run its course. He did a lot of good things but we've looked utterly inept most of this season and it just seems a sensible time to move on. We'll drag it out for months and probably let him go at the end of the season. I'd rather we were proactive, it kind of feels inevitable at this point.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think you can argue it both ways.

1. Ole has done a great job lifting you out of the shite Jose had got you into, reducing the age of the squad while improving it dramatically at the same time, respectable league finish last season and despite a wobble at the beginning of this season it is respectable again. His transfers in and out, I think, have all improved the team and the squad are clearly behind him and at times you've played the best football you've seen since 2008. So on that basis you could argue to the end of the season at the very least.

2. But I think one of the mistakes many football clubs make is to change manager when the club is in the shit. You are on a (rocky) upward trajectory at the moment, I think you could argue that maybe this is the best time to change manager to try and get the team to step up a level. Your squad should be good enough to qualify from the group in the CL and is certainly good enough to be top 4 if not better. Now's a good time with a transfer window fast approaching. So there's an interesting argument for changing now.

But you need to think very carefully about the next manager if you do this. You don't want to do the Moyes-LvG-Jose style changes where the new manager has a completely different idea of how the game should be played, you've seen how that sort of disruption plays out on the pitch.

We all know the names being thrown around, Poch, Allegri, Hasenhuttl, Tuchel, Nagelsmann. But they all play a very different brand of football to Ole and apart from Hasenhuttl and Nagelsmann who have some similarities, they're all managers with different styles and though they all rated managers, I'm not sure who would be best for you right now. I think one advantage now is you have a group of players with very different talents and have not all been brought to fit into one system. le clearly wants to be able to play in a number of different ways, whereas Jose and LvG were very different in this respect. So maybe the change wouldn't be as disruptive as it has been previously.

The other way to look at it is to remember how far you have fallen since SAF left and then look tear on year for progress and compared to this time last year, your consistency is better, your squad is better, your league position is better, you made the CL this year etc the progress is clear and rebuilding to the top is a long process however much fans want it right now. I'm not sure what I would do if I was Ed, but my guess is Ole will stay and only go if CL football is impossible to get, which in my mind is the worst time to change managers!

SAFMUTD

End of contract. He has put down some solid foundations at the club and will leave United in a better place than he arrived when he does go.
Ole in guys repeat the "will leave the club in a bettee place than when he arrived" as some divine fact. Like its on your bible.

Lets see, we have now spent 130M on two players that cant defend shit when it matters, one failed youngster in James who is on a straight way to become deadwood, VDB who looks nothing but a squad player and Bruno who Ole should give 80% of his wages to because he has prevented this team to go straight to shit. We are about to lose Pogba and Martial is on one of his worst patches of his career.

Why should we trust he'll leave the club in a better place?

eltigreFalcao

Agree that this season is looking very likely to be a trainwreck and that is something to think about. I am ever supporting Ole for everything he is, was and tries to be but the task is really taking over him. He has shown hes not the best man for the position in multiple ways. I want him to stay also because as some posters noted he is not the main issue: squad is bang average and is not necessarily Ole's fault, club running is seriously not ok... kicking Ole out will not resolve this core issues.

Saddens me to say Ole's rebuild proyect is not looking very succesful at the moment. I wish he stays at least till EOS so that it makes sense to pass the baton over, but at the moment he is risking failing massively and that will last forever.