If you're Ole in, how much time will you give him?

The fact you're asking this shows just how clueless you are and you don't know the facts. He lost 3 domestic semi finals in 5 years I think. One of them was against us ffs. I'd have thought you'd have remembered that one. Sanchez header at Wembley ring any bells? Herrera bagged the other.
Ole has lost 3 semi finals already in fairness.

I was asking because I don’t know them all. I don’t follow Spurs you see.
The Sanchez game, know that one. 2 fairly matched teams, tight game. Certainly not a case of bottling it.
Who were the oppo in the other 2 semis?

So losing a few semi finals for a club that has one trophy in 29 years (League Cup) is the bar we set now for being a bottler?
Is Ole then, also a bottler? But a bottler with more resources ? Or is it much nuanced than that?
Maybe Poch lost the other 2 semis to utterly shite teams? Is that what I’m missing?

We completely ignore the record points total, the first title race in over 3 decades and first CL final ever? All while spending a fraction of Manchester United’s budget.

Feels incredibly harsh, and I feel like you’re a guy that isn’t harsh on managers so I can’t quite get my head around your thought process here?

Remember when this was a thing:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48437022

Having more resources and this a better team, helps.

Last edited:

Roane

I think the arguments around Ole are somewhat flawed.

Now I will say from the off that I was happy to see Ole come in to change the direction of the club after SAF. I didn't expect us to compete for a season or two as the changes needed were a complete mindset change and personnel. Thinking back even my thought was flawed as I didn't take certain things into perspective.

Now I'm of the opinion that the changes or reset needed at UTD was not a job a manager like Poch or even Klopp etc would want to take on. The reset would take a couple of seasons at least (maybe more) and would involve many changes to reach a formula that works. As a top manager or an aspiring to get to the next level manager I would not be looking at UTD as my next step. I would want a team I could hit the ground running with where a few minor tweaks were needed.

Most of the top teams have pretty much everything in place for managers with little experience to come in and do a decent job. A support structure in place to learn on the job and usually the players and style already in place. I'm thinking Real and Barca and even Chelsea under reigns of Di matteo and that bloke whose name I always forget that no one had heard of.

The most farcical thing to me about the UTD situation was and is that we have relative inexperience at every level. You have Ed who is learning on the job, ole is learning on the job and his backroom staff of Carrick etc are also learning on the job.

Take that into consideration and Ole has done a decent job, excellent in terms of getting rid of the deadwood. Sure mistakes can be made, even the greats like SAF made them. I'm thinking if possibly the situation with Smalling (I'm sure some will disagree but that ok). Jaap anyone? (And no I'm not making a player comparison as such)

That all said I think something needs to change. And the truth is maybe Ed needs help from a manager as much as a manager needs help from Ed.

I appreciate that a team like UTD should maybe never been in a position. Where we had novices at the different levels, it's laughable when you think about it. But here we are.

I personally don't see changes at Ed level anytime soon, not that I wouldn't want to see it but simply because I don't see the Glazers doing so. That basically leaves the manager. Although I would have maybe surrounded Ole with experienced coaches, I think it's maybe time to just bring in a fresh and experienced team altogether.

I'm also of the view that maybe we need a manager to come in and just get a cohesive plan and structure to our play. Focussing on the "lesser cups" and decent runs in the league and CL with a view to getting in a top name when we get to that level.

Someone like Poch maybe ideal for that. Hopefully he would exceed expectation and become our Klopp. However even if he got us to semi finals of a CL or final like he did Spurs we could become an attractive proposition for the top names out there.

TLDR we are not an attractive proposition for top names. Let's make us that and we can then attract a top manager

dal

He worked miracles to get us finishing third with the team he had last year.

He’s building a terrific squad.

This squad is starting to feel like the 05/06 - 06/07 squad fergie was developing.

I would give him until the summer of 2023 as long as we keep qualifying for the champions league. Doing so will be best for Manchester United.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think both managers won't give us what we want
I'm not a fan of his style, but he's a winner and he could probably make Pogba work. I only suggested him because people are tying to set obstacles as to why we shouldn't replace Ole now and Allegri solves that. I was just being facetious. I don't think a manager has to have won something before to be able to do it here. Ole got a shot, time for somebody else to have a try. Preferably somebody with a more exciting style and that can drill a team well.

Aren86

His signings have been on the whole good and his consistently fielding one of the youngest sides which in itself will show inconsistency and take time to gel. Plus he was never fully backed with all his targets and we all know we need a DCM, RW and CB and our first 11 needs improving yet we still throw all the blame on him.

Another positive is has got rid of players 90% of those players many of us never wanted to wear united shirts again, either through sales, loans or dropping to the bench. Fellaini, Jones, Lingard, Pereira, Lukaku, Smalling etc.

Alongside this, he has got players working much harder, in terms of work rate, like the old united which is a plus post-Jose era.

The problem he has is, people, want him to have a CV. Those people won't change their view. That's fair enough, but everyone has to go through the starting phase too. Is united the club to do this? Maybe not, but based on an overall assessment he is not doing that bad if you check his stats.

People expect miracles, yet when he first came in, my only desire was to see us work harder, qualify for champions league and get rid of deadwood.

He's done this and is now building what looks like a decent squad. His a few signings away, and if he can be granted those, we should give him 12-18 months minimum.

If he is never getting those transfers and doesn't have the pull to bring these in he should be cut short of his misery now. It's also remarkable as bar Liverpool most teams are inconsistent as of the last 12-18 months, but let's not forget the miracles he did last year getting us 3rd and we are still not out the title race.

I'd back him, just as I backed LVG, JOSE whilst their united managers. I don't agree with everything he does, and he irks me, but his, not the only one making managerial mistakes.

It seems that when he makes a mistake it's on the front papers. Yet when he does well, its always down to individual brilliance of players. Isn't this how a lot of matches are won?

For some, he'll never win, until he actually wins something.

Either way, I genuinely believe he can win us something substantial in the next 12-18 months.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

This squad is starting to feel like the 05/06 - 06/07 squad fergie was developing.

I would give him until the summer of 2023 as long as we keep qualifying for the champions league. Doing so will be best for Manchester United.
Agree with this. I think the progress we’ve shown is encouraging, I’m hopeful he’ll see it through if given another year or two. If not, we part ways at the end of his contract and another coach gets to mould prime Bruno, Rashford and a more mature Greenwood as well as the rest of the squad Ole leaves behind. I feel like we’re in a more cohesive place than at any other time post Fergie.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I agree with you on first, second and third paragraph but the last one is definitely not. I think we need to see more than just qualifying CL, we need to see progress every season and to do so is by closing that 33 points gaps difference between us & Liverpool. The CL run at the end was a bitter taste but let's be honest we never have a chance to win it anyway so I don't really care much about what happens to us in CL this season, in my opinion making progress in the league is the most important thing and CL is just bonus. It was always like that during Fergie era anyway, build the squad to win the league first then go to next level to win the CL after.

monosierra

Until the end of the season and assess 1) How much individual players have improved 2) How much team play has improved and 3) How has our competition results improved. Two of three by a significant margin over the past season and vis-a-vis our rivals might be enough to forge a sense of momentum. With Mourinho, LVG, and Moyes it was clear that whatever momentum had been building up had stopped and there was no way but down. With OGS, late season surges have led to the impression of improvement and momentum moving forward. This unfortunately has not translated into actual improvement across the board - Rather, its an exercise in stuttering with the team often being rescued by moments of brilliance.

The fact that there is no viable alternative to OGS available right now - outside Pochettino - is a big factor and even he seems pretty much unclaimed by other teams. The other continental candidates are all busy in their seasons.

lee82gx

why oh why do some of you just skip past Allegri? Some have rightly mentioned him and I dare say he is 2 steps up from Ole. A proven winner. He's tactically astute. Taking his teams to the finals of Champions League twice is no joke. He's rebuild Juve once. His other teams have fared well also in Europe and Italy. He's even learned English for goodness sakes. I don't want to see another Carlo Ancelotti managing Leicester or whoever.

What on earth are you guys so fixed on about Poch? At best he may be a little better than Ole, he's been lucky to have Harry Kane, Eric Dier from the youth setup. He only signed 1 world class talent from obscurity -Son Heung Min. I'm not convinced really.

romufc

What do you say about Poch's terrible record against 'top 6' rivals and their really poor record in 2019 before he was sacked for our ex manager?
If you read my other posts, I have never said Poch is the man.

I was refering to fans beating Poch about bottling it. I would support Ole if he done what Poch done because it shows progress.

I have always had my reservations about Poch because of a few things but not because he only got to a CL final and didnt win anything.

1. His mentality - Spurs documentary showed the squad did not have a winning mentality - Similar to Ole, which raises question marks of how Poch would do here.
2. His top 6 record - He like Ole is not expected to win them games, alot of games spurs looked good but ended up losing the games - Winning mentality again.
3. Does he have the ability to take us forward? - One of the reason I want Ole out is because he cannot deliver in the big occassions - Poch has not shown anything that he can deliver when he is expected to win.

Champagne Football

If we can ditch Pogba in January, and use the money to buy a young upcoming DLP, then Ole deserves the second half of the season to develop the new DLP and also Diallo

KevinJoh

Most years you won’t get top 4 without a fair few more points than we managed last season.
So what if he gets more points but misses out on top 4? Which is a big possibility.
In last 6 seasons 75+ was not enough for CL only once. With results this year with schedulle and covid it will be more than enough. But even without CL if he is on 75+ I would keep him as it would be the second best season after SAF with youngest squad.

KevinJoh

Chelsea have lost one game this season to Liverpool. They have looked a better organised team, better tactically than last season, which shows improvement.
They are on the same number of points as we are. They lost one in PL, but are also out of LC already. They invested heavily in their squad during summer and had normal preseason, while we started season without training together. Also, you can't compare level of investment they made and what we made during the summer, and that is hardly Ole's mistake (or any manager). But yes, they look better and I think they have better squad at the moment as they are better organized club with better recruitment for some time. Still, they do not have more points than us, they did not have more last year and in direct duels they have been worse, including game month ago.

What has changed for us since Ole took over? he has the really good run, we have not played that level of football under him.
We are playing pretty good football under Ole when we are not under pressure. Like when we take a lead, we are playing pretty good. As I said, experience is serious problem of that side, and probably experience of manager as well. Until we score we are in problems, like we are scared that we will make a mistake. Some segments of football under Ole have been much better than anything in last 6 years, we can score 4 or 5 goals, we are winning away games in a row, we are capable to overrun teams which we did not do under Jose, we can make a comeback when we are goal or even two down. I can't remember that from our team before Ole, as in those games we are losing as soon as we concede first goal. Like people can't remember those Huddersfields, West Hams.

Two more years of playing together is fine but 3 years ago Liverpool beat us in the EL to get to the final, which they lost. the season after they got to the CL final, the season after CL win, season after PL win. That is a sign of progress.

We got to semi final of 3 competitions, including EL. We are meant to progress, instead we are back to the EL, fighting for 4th. Where is the progress? There is none.
We are not back in EL, we have qualified for CL. Ole did that in his first season, so if that is a mark, he did that in 100% of his seasons, while Jose did that in 1 out of 3 (2nd was through EL), and LVG in one. We did not qualify for CL knockout, true, but honestly we did play much better in 5 of those 6 games than we did in any of the Jose CL games. You can say it is manager job to get result and not playing good, but for me it is improvement, as I want us to play good football and results will come with a little bit more experience, than to watch us parking the bus in our box against Sevilla or Valencia and rely on De Gea, even if that would bring us result.

No one is saying Jose or LVG was better, whether you liked their football or not, in their 2 year stints, they both won trophies, Ole doesnt look like he will ever win a trophy.
True, he did not won a trophy. But if getting back Jose would bring us LC and CL trophy and we will have three more years of his football, I am staying with Ole. If bring back LVG would give us one more FA Cup with that football, I would keep Ole without trophies.

Again, the sleepy football they gave us gave us the same results as Ole ? Just because we have to chase every single game after 30 mins doesn't mean its boring, it just shows the manager keeps getting his team selection and tactics wrong. How can you as a manutd manager have to change players at half time in most games?
He did not change players at HT in most games, just in 3 last games, and before that he did not. For me it is good sign, as he is not afraid to change when it is not working. I can remember LVG changing players in the same minute of every game regarding of how they play. I am not talking it is fun to watch cause we chase games, it is fun to watch cause we are attacking most of the game, we are trying to score, trying to get in final third with direct passing and risk. We don't pass sideways always like with previous managers. We don't have games without a single shot on target, or any kind of shot for 90 minutes like we had with both Mourinho and LVG. Chasing game is not fun to watch, but we did not even chase games before.

Ole has done well, unfortunately he has hit his ceiling. He cannot set up a team to win big important games.
That is the key. Ole has done well until now. Not perfect but well. He deserves a chance to finish what he started. He won important matches. He won against Pep more than once. He won against Chelsea, he won against Spurs, he won against PSG twice, he won against Leipzig 5:0, he won last game of the season to qualify for CL against direct rival away. Those have been important matches. He lost some of them as well. You win some, you lose some in football. Those he lost, he did not play bad. Like against PSG week ago, or against Sevilla in August. Leipzig was bad in better part of the game. Barcelona was bad, City one game was bad, Chelsea also. So, I just say, put a little bit of pressure of his shoulders, he deserved the right to prove himself, did not deserve the hate he is getting at all.

KevinJoh

Yeah @KevinJoh, but last season we got 66, so what if we get 72 and finish 5th?
He will be sacked in that case. Glazers will sack any coach that doesn't bring CL football at the end of the season. And it would be OK for me, last year was bad, with a lot of bad results, injuries, this time he has better team, improved with Bruno and should get 75 I think. He is already at 6 more than last year (in 10 games) so is on the track to get there.

romufc

They are on the same number of points as we are. They lost one in PL, but are also out of LC already. They invested heavily in their squad during summer and had normal preseason, while we started season without training together. Also, you can't compare level of investment they made and what we made during the summer, and that is hardly Ole's mistake (or any manager). But yes, they look better and I think they have better squad at the moment as they are better organized club with better recruitment for some time. Still, they do not have more points than us, they did not have more last year and in direct duels they have been worse, including game month ago.

https://www.premierleague.com/tables

They are 3 points ahead of us.

We are playing pretty good football under Ole when we are not under pressure. Like when we take a lead, we are playing pretty good. As I said, experience is serious problem of that side, and probably experience of manager as well. Until we score we are in problems, like we are scared that we will make a mistake. Some segments of football under Ole have been much better than anything in last 6 years, we can score 4 or 5 goals, we are winning away games in a row, we are capable to overrun teams which we did not do under Jose, we can make a comeback when we are goal or even two down. I can't remember that from our team before Ole, as in those games we are losing as soon as we concede first goal. Like people can't remember those Huddersfields, West Hams.

When are we not under pressure? We saw good football when? when was the last time we say good football under Ole ?

I can remember, they were under Ole too. People cannot remember West Ham away, Newcastle away, Everton away, Burnley at home... all under Ole's reign.

We are not back in EL, we have qualified for CL. Ole did that in his first season, so if that is a mark, he did that in 100% of his seasons, while Jose did that in 1 out of 3 (2nd was through EL), and LVG in one. We did not qualify for CL knockout, true, but honestly we did play much better in 5 of those 6 games than we did in any of the Jose CL games. You can say it is manager job to get result and not playing good, but for me it is improvement, as I want us to play good football and results will come with a little bit more experience, than to watch us parking the bus in our box against Sevilla or Valencia and rely on De Gea, even if that would bring us result.

We are back in the EL, we have given him credit for the first season, he done well, he achieved his targets. This season he is already failing to meet his targets. A good CL run would have been on his list, as under Ole we are a cup team. Experience? We had Luke Shaw, Rashford, Lindelof, DDG, Telles, Maguire, Matic who are all experienced footballers. They are not new to the game.

True, he did not won a trophy. But if getting back Jose would bring us LC and CL trophy and we will have three more years of his football, I am staying with Ole. If bring back LVG would give us one more FA Cup with that football, I would keep Ole without trophies.

So you would rather fight for top 4 get no trophies, play EL football over trophies? Do Chelsea fans talk about how they won the CL? No, its winning it that counts.

He did not change players at HT in most games, just in 3 last games, and before that he did not. For me it is good sign, as he is not afraid to change when it is not working. I can remember LVG changing players in the same minute of every game regarding of how they play. I am not talking it is fun to watch cause we chase games, it is fun to watch cause we are attacking most of the game, we are trying to score, trying to get in final third with direct passing and risk. We don't pass sideways always like with previous managers. We don't have games without a single shot on target, or any kind of shot for 90 minutes like we had with both Mourinho and LVG. Chasing game is not fun to watch, but we did not even chase games before.

Well, it can also show that he cannot set the team up right, has to go 1/2/3 goals down for him to realise the players he picked and tactics were wrong so has to change it up.

I am not sure you and I are watching the same games. When in the Leipzig first half, West Ham first half, PSG first half did we look to play attacking and try to score a goal? We could barely get into their half in those games.

That is the key. Ole has done well until now. Not perfect but well. He deserves a chance to finish what he started. He won important matches. He won against Pep more than once. He won against Chelsea, he won against Spurs, he won against PSG twice, he won against Leipzig 5:0, he won last game of the season to qualify for CL against direct rival away. Those have been important matches. He lost some of them as well. You win some, you lose some in football. Those he lost, he did not play bad. Like against PSG week ago, or against Sevilla in August. Leipzig was bad in better part of the game. Barcelona was bad, City one game was bad, Chelsea also. So, I just say, put a little bit of pressure of his shoulders, he deserved the right to prove himself, did not deserve the hate he is getting at all.

yes yes yes he won individual games, he beat Pep when he was out of a title race, he beat PSG when he was out of the game in the first one and done well tactically in this seasons games against PSG and Leipzig tbf. Give him credit for that but at the end of the day, it doesnt matter, they are through, we are out. So clearly he does not win important games.

The important game against Pep, semi final lost. Important game against Lampard in semi final lost. Important game against Sevilla lost. Important games against PSG and Leipzig lost the plot.

I am not giving him hate, I am saying he isnt good enough for this job. You cannot have a manager at United that only delivers when he is under immense pressure.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If you read my other posts, I have never said Poch is the man.

I was refering to fans beating Poch about bottling it. I would support Ole if he done what Poch done because it shows progress.

I have always had my reservations about Poch because of a few things but not because he only got to a CL final and didnt win anything.

1. His mentality - Spurs documentary showed the squad did not have a winning mentality - Similar to Ole, which raises question marks of how Poch would do here.
2. His top 6 record - He like Ole is not expected to win them games, alot of games spurs looked good but ended up losing the games - Winning mentality again.
3. Does he have the ability to take us forward? - One of the reason I want Ole out is because he cannot deliver in the big occassions - Poch has not shown anything that he can deliver when he is expected to win.
Interesting. I haven't watched the documentary so can you explain how you came to that conclusion? I definitely don't want Poch because though he's a good coach I feel he doesn't have that winning mentality

romufc

Interesting. I haven't watched the documentary so can you explain how you came to that conclusion? I definitely don't want Poch because though he's a good coach I feel he doesn't have that winning mentality
The one thing Jose kept saying and emphasising to the team is being C****, having the winners mentality. Spurs were a nice team, which is why they lost big games. Look at now, Spurs have that streetwise in them.

Poch would be a great head coach, but someone else is needed to manage the squad.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The one thing Jose kept saying and emphasising to the team is being C****, having the winners mentality. Spurs were a nice team, which is why they lost big games. Look at now, Spurs have that streetwise in them.

Poch would be a great head coach, but someone else is needed to manage the squad.
Cheers. Poch does have everything we need except that winning mentality.

JohnyBuckets

Until there is a better option available... Sack Ole now and who takes the wheel? Poch?? What has he won? Is he an improvement? I think hiring Poch is still a huge gamble, specially mid season. We have to wait until there is a proven, young manager that plays positive football.

Will Singh

In last 6 seasons 75+ was not enough for CL only once. With results this year with schedulle and covid it will be more than enough. But even without CL if he is on 75+ I would keep him as it would be the second best season after SAF with youngest squad.
So want to keep him based on a outdated points tally? CL yes he will stay regardless but you can't keep him because we get 75 points and that's our 2nd best post SAF!

hubbuh

Idiocy at its finest. Moyes was proveably shit and deserved to be fired. You have to be high as a kite to place Ole in the same bracket.
I'm putting them in the same broad bracket of 'not good enough'. The same that Mourinho and LvG also fall under. Ole not being as bad as Moyes isn't some sort of victory.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Klopp got plenty of shit for his record of losing finals though until 2 years back so that's harsh.

What were his Spurs side ever expected to win ? Were they ever the favourites in a final for example?
Even still Klopp had won 2 Bundesliga titles and promoted Mainz. That's something

Yes Spurs were never favorites to win trophies but you don't need to be favorites to win trophies especially when you've had quite a number of chances. I feel this is what we need. A manager that can win with a team that isn't the favourites to do so. Because we are competing with City's and Chelsea's unlimited spending and Liverpool's top scouting coached by the best coach in the world. These clubs who are already better than us will only look to keep improving while we keep on chasing them from behind with the incompetent board running things. I just don't think we will have a team that is the favorites to win.

Last edited:

Hughie77

I agree with you on first, second and third paragraph but the last one is definitely not. I think we need to see more than just qualifying CL, we need to see progress every season and to do so is by closing that 33 points gaps difference between us & Liverpool. The CL run at the end was a bitter taste but let's be honest we never have a chance to win it anyway so I don't really care much about what happens to us in CL this season, in my opinion making progress in the league is the most important thing and CL is just bonus. It was always like that during Fergie era anyway, build the squad to win the league first then go to next level to win the CL after.
Tend to agree progress in league is more important, going out in group stage of cl is not very good even if it was the toughest group of them all. But I would like to see us this season show a more consistent league run, not having to win our remaining 4 -5 games to get Cl again.

PoTMS

What happens if we finish top 4 again? Are we content to keep him again for another season in hope he somehow flukes some success and just basically be Arsenal at the end of Wenger's reign.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Lowest league points total since SAF retired.
Bought Bruno who was arguably the best player purchase in 7 years and still finished with the lowest points total.
Covid19 suspension helped us push up the table - without Covid19, we'd have finished lower.

It may be a good squad, but he isn't getting much out of them. Playing with 7 defensive players in our last match and conceded 3 goals.
The Ref gave us 2 free goals and we still couldn't get a draw.

Fergie - a serial winner - created a squad to challenge in the CL.
In our last CL match (see comment above), we went ultra defensive and still conceded 3.

I can only assume that you are MCFC or LFC fan. There is no other explanation.

dal

Bought Bruno who was arguably the best player purchase in 7 years and still finished with the lowest points total.
Covid19 suspension helped us push up the table - without Covid19, we'd have finished lower.

It may be a good squad, but he isn't getting much out of them. Playing with 7 defensive players in our last match and conceded 3 goals.

In our last CL match (see comment above), we went ultra defensive and still conceded 3.

[/QUOTE

Ah points totals. I suppose if we won the league with the lowest points total in 20 years, our fans wouldn’t be happy. Spoilt.

We need to get a squad together, a proper one and Ole is doing this. The memories of our fans are so short it’s unreal. We change the manager again and the circle continues.

We need a top 3 finish again and I’ll be happy.

In 1/2 years we can review again.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ah points totals. I suppose if we won the league with the lowest points total in 20 years, our fans wouldn’t be happy. Spoilt.

We need to get a squad together, a proper one and Ole is doing this. The memories of our fans are so short it’s unreal. We change the manager again and the circle continues.

We need a top 3 finish again and I’ll be happy.

In 1/2 years we can review again.
Because winning the league bring you a nice trophy. Just being top 4 doesn't. Finishing on 66 points again would not be impressive.

klayton88

Why does he moan about having 5 subs this season, then make one in the 74th minute?

jamesjimmybyrondean

The thinking is to keep Ole because he hasn't failed and we are still very much on track for top 4. Come next season we really should be looking at winning the league . So I'd say this season isn't just about getting top 4, it's also for assessing Ole and whether he has what it takes to take us to were we want to be.

I think the club should also be proactive and start looking at managers that they think can deliver trophies to take over by the end of this season . By then we should have a good idea if Ole can do the job or if we should make the hard call and be proactive for once