Im going to watch Aliens

Clueless

causes posters to develop an inability to understa
Saw it today for the first time. I liked it better than Alien, will watch the third and fourth movies later this week.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It goes downhill from Aliens.

I like both of the first two movies which are amazingly different yet entertaining.

Count Duckula

Alien and Aliens are quality. Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection are dire.

Predator is quality. Predator 2: Concrete Jungle is terrible.

Alien vs. Predator is the worst of the lot.

ih8cheatskiscum

The first is the best - an absolute classic but the second is also a great, great film. The other two aren't so good

032Devil

Have you seen Metropolis, Van?
The original or the Japanese manga version?

The original is great. Saw it last year. It was weird trying to watch a silent film but once I'd adjusted it was very enjoyable.

I found the female robot somewhat frightening though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Have you seen Metropolis, Van?
Yep.

Restored version, still without couple of scenes, about 25% of the whole movie missing.

It inspired many artists and I'm not only talking about moviemakers. Games Half Life 2 or Timeshift have something from it. The community under control of a one man...

Is it first Sci Fi movie ever ? Very possible...

I didn't watched manga version, yet.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm downloading it. I think it was made in the 20's. Always wanted to see it. Have you seen M by Fritz Lang?

DiaboliQue

Metropolis is the first sci-fi movie and it laid ground for what followed. Some would argue that in one way or another, every sci-fi movie made owes it something.

M is my favorite from Fritz Lang. Although these two are generally considered to be his best work and his masterpieces, Lang has a prolific career as a director. Another Lang movie I'd quite highly recommend would be "Scarlett Street". Although not a masterpiece, it's still better than most of todays shite we're getting.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Finally got around to watching this again after watching Alien the other week. Just a brilliant brilliant film.
They don't make em like that anymore.

The xenomorph freaked me out as a kid.

caid

I quite liked Alien 3. It was weaker than the previous two but still a decent movie.

Tarrou

I quite liked Alien 3. It was weaker than the previous two but still a decent movie.
I watched 1,2,3 the other week. Massive drop-off in quality from the first two but the Assembly cut for 3 is a bit better than the Theatrical cut at least. I enjoyed it.

The final act gets tidied up a bit, and you can make sense a bit more of what is going on. The first time I saw it I got totally lost in where everything was, its just a giant mess for like 30 minutes and you have no idea where everything is and all the actors look the same.

I can see why Fincher disavowed the film.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I know it's cliche, but they really don't. Even when films try and use more practical effects, it's often less noticeable these days because there's still so much cgi and processing going on around it.

With music, there's a big thing of late about not making it too perfect, too shiny and unrealistic sounding, because it sounds better when it's imperfect, ran through old gear, and not entirely made using software. I'm no expert on movies, but I think there's a few directors with a similar mindset when it comes to film, but maybe not enough of it.

Superunknown

Alien and Aliens are two of my favourite all time films. One is the perfect thriller, whereas the other is the perfect action film. It's more than a bit insane that two films in the same series can be so different, yet be utterly perfect at what they set out to do.

Tempted to watch Alien tonight followed by Aliens tomorrow night. :drool:

Superunknown

Alien>Alien3>Aliens>Alien4
I really like Alien3 (feck the haters), but that's a massive claim right there. :eek:

Also, it should be more like:

The other films > > > > > > > > > > > Alien Resurrection.

An utter abomination of a film. Terrible script, ugly as hell to look at, none of the beauty that made the other films great and just not in keeping with the rest of the series. One of my biggest film disappointments ever.

Sweet Square

Alien and Aliens are two of my favourite all time films. One is the perfect thriller, whereas the other is the perfect action film. It's more than a bit insane that two films in the same series can be so different, yet be utterly perfect at what they set out to do.

Tempted to watch Alien tonight followed by Aliens tomorrow night. :drool:
At 3:20
:nervous:

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
I like Aliens as an 80s action flick, but for me it was never really an Alien movie. Because the monster is so different. It feels like the Alien was squeezed into a script intended for a different "Alien race" or whatever. As a heart-pumping action film Aliens works really well.

arthurka

Everything is better than the latest Ridley Scott shit. Resurrection was 10x better than the new crap Ridley dragged out of his ass.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

The xenomorph freaked me out as a kid.
Before I ever saw it, my step dad bought an illustrated comic-book style of it.

I read it and thought "looks cool" then years later, got the video and thought "I wonder if it's like the book".

No... because the book didn't scare the shit out of me. The film did.

Probably the scariest monster I've ever seen in film. Combination of not seeing it in the film until quite a way in (the best scary films always do that... allow your mind to conjure up all sorts of nightmares) plus it's relentless, plus it's fecking VICIOUS! And that mouth!

Liked all the films and the prequels.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Before I ever saw it, my step dad bought an illustrated comic-book style of it.

I read it and thought "looks cool" then years later, got the video and thought "I wonder if it's like the book".

No... because the book didn't scare the shit out of me. The film did.

Probably the scariest monster I've ever seen in film. Combination of not seeing it in the film until quite a way in (the best scary films always do that... allow your mind to conjure up all sorts of nightmares) plus it's relentless, plus it's fecking VICIOUS! And that mouth!

Liked all the films and the prequels.
Yeah Alien is brilliant because of the tension is builds and for how long you have to wait to actually see the fecking thing. Facegrabbers are disgustingly brilliant aswell. Just a shame they don’t seem to make films like this anymore (unless they have and I’ve missed them).

Going to watch Alien 3 tonight, not seen it for years and whilst it’s not as good as the first two I don’t remember it being a bad film.

Irwin99

Alien was the best. Such a haunting film. Aliens is great but it kind of reduces the Alien from an unstoppable bioweapon (which was the original intention/implication of the first film) to a bug that can be shot down pretty easily.

Alien 3 had flaws but was very gloomy and not a bad film. Resurrection was ....urgghh!

Prometheus was another film that had flaws but it was interesting and original and it set up a storyline that could have been fun; Sadly Alien fans didn't like it and we got Alien Covenant as a sequel :(