I'm not watching Europa League (actually I am, because we're playing Milan)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t really care. We better rest players in Europa league and focus in PL.

Real Name

Put u23 for that and focus on the league. God knows where will be in the league when EL starts though.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Let's see where we're at in February.

It's only 2 extra games...

If we're in with a chance of winning the league, then rest players but if not then we should go for it.

We've not won anything since 2017 and if that squad cant handle a top 4 battle and Europa League challenge then they all deserve binning off.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd play the kids in Europa. Top 4 should be our main focus and we can use Europa to rest our key players. Winning the Europa is also another gateway to champions league football though but I don't think we will win it even if we play our best squad so what's the point

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have to admit at the moment I really can’t be bothered but I just know that when it’s ok I’ll watch because it’s just what I do.

pass.pass.pass

Play the under-10s.

It's an embarrassment for United to be in this competition again. But wait for the PR master, OGS, to spin this for the gullible fans (including many on this forum): "We play to win any tournament we are in. Winning trophies is what this club is all about."

Well, at least we won't come up against Sevilla this season.

Last edited:

ti vu

Let's see where we're at in February.

It's only 2 extra games...

If we're in with a chance of winning the league, then rest players but if not then we should go for it.

We've not won anything since 2017 and if that squad cant handle a top 4 battle and Europa League challenge then they all deserve binning off.
What if the squad can handle it, but the manager doesn't have the know how to manage the fitness of the team?

Under Ole, it's a repeat of pattern of going on a good form, then sharply dropping off the cliff when running out of steam. Playing Europa League is a hinderance that many top managers have implied.

It's not only 2 extra games, but potential longer away trip. Playing Thursday then getting squeezed in Sunday, Monday schedule playing catch up to rivals, put extra pressure on the team.

stevoc

How many times did we get knocked down to the Europa, though?

Since our last final a decade ago (10/11):
11/12, 15/16, 16/17, 19/20, now 20/21. We didn't have any European football in the 14/15 season.

It's actually become a regular occurrence.
I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with your first post, i found it strange we had actually qualified for the CL 7 times in the last 10 seasons as it seems less.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I will. I watch Utd because I support them thick and thin. Having high expectations along with bitter disappointment is what a lot of fans go through. I'm no different.

Plus I like watching football. We miss it when it's not there and complain unequivocally when it's on.

ti vu

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with your first post, i found it strange we had actually qualified for the CL 7 times in the last 10 seasons as it seems less.
Not strange. 3 times we're out of it were around time we have managerial change.

One time we didn't make top 4 but we got into CL by winning Europa League in Mourinho's first season.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Remember, we got booted because we lost to that Istanbul Team I can't pronouce.

We actually draw (in a sense that we won once lose once) against RB and PSG, we just didn't take our chance with the weakest team in the league.

There's no point scoring a brilliant win if you lose an easy points the next week.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Disappointed about last night still but for me football is all about winning silverwear and Europa - Of course i want to win it, just as i did the old UEFA and cup winners cup.
Still cant get my head around most people here wanting to throw the f a cup semi final this summer to focus on a shot at top 4.
Obsession of top 4 does my head in more than winning the Europa

ti vu

Disappointed about last night still but for me football is all about winning silverwear and Europa - Of course i want to win it, just as i did the old UEFA and cup winners cup.
Still cant get my head around most people here wanting to throw the f a cup semi final this summer to focus on a shot at top 4.
Obsession of top 4 does my head in more than winning the Europa
Different scenario.

Bad management and the excuse for losing FA semi final was stupid, since it's still manageable to win that semi final, and wrapping top 4.

Europa League this season is a different beast with all these potential long traveling and 2 extra games. If we looked out of it with only FA and the league at the end of last season, Europa League on Thursday this season would kill this team. We have to play FA Cup this season too.

pacifictheme

I quite like europa league. A competition we actually have a chance of winning.

redmanx

I will. I watch Utd because I support them thick and thin. Having high expectations along with bitter disappointment is what a lot of fans go through. I'm no different.

Plus I like watching football. We miss it when it's not there and complain unequivocally when it's on.
Like 1000s of others Ive followed United all over the UK and Europe, from Millwall to Madrid, good times and bad. Its what supporters do.

Inigo Montoya

Like 1000s of others Ive followed United all over the UK and Europe, from Millwall to Madrid, good times and bad. Its what supporters do.
Yes and it’s not some ‘top red’ boast. Good times or bad, follow your team or watch football as a neutral, ive no problem.

Colleague of mine supports Southend Utd. Can’t imagine what he goes through. I don’t have the gall to moan to him about exiting UCL

Inigo Montoya

Remember, we got booted because we lost to that Istanbul Team I can't pronouce.

We actually draw (in a sense that we won once lose once) against RB and PSG, we just didn't take our chance with the weakest team in the league.

There's no point scoring a brilliant win if you lose an easy points the next week.
Utd in a nutshell

Terminator

Just play the kids and fringe players please. Feck this stupid fecking tournament.

pauldyson1uk

dont fecking watch then !! If you cant watch us when playing bad, you dont deserve to watch when we are playing well.
God knows how some of you on here would have fared in the 80's, when we were shite

spiriticon

I was excited the first few times because it was a trophy we'd never won before.

Now we have won it, I don't give a shit anymore.

To next season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like the EL in general but having come off the back of the big CL games no, I cant get up for this tournament. Its snobbish and arrogant I know but seeing us perform in this tournament would just reinforce the major c*ck up we made in falling into it.

redmanx

Yes and it’s not some ‘top red’ boast. Good times or bad, follow your team or watch football as a neutral, ive no problem.

Colleague of mine supports Southend Utd. Can’t imagine what he goes through. I don’t have the gall to moan to him about exiting UCL
My brother in law is a life long Orient supporter, from the days when they were known as Leyton Orient. He retired about 10 years ago and became a season ticket holder, and even though he lives in Yorkshire he sees every home game, until covid of course. Now thats loyalty!

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
They just don''t deserve our attention on Thursday nights (and now I've remembered how much it's going to affect our Premier League schedule – most games on Sundays...).

We're giving up on Europe, so we can focus on finishing in Top 4 in the league, so we qualify for the Champions League, which we'll give up on, so we can focus on finishing in Top 4 (...).

I've enjoyed those last 15 minutes – that's why supporting this club is unpredictable, but... we've had a lot of surprises, too.

I agree I aint watching as they don't deserve to be watched pure and simple.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Spoilt, entitled, brats
Spoilt :lol: :lol: :lol: I stayed for the 93 minutes against Spurs when Jose was in charge as although the better team we gave it to them and was unlucky, its the manner of the defeat. And if the players cannot be arsed with their attitude you will find the majority wont. I will check the results in the Europa but couldn't give a monkey if they were beaten or qualify as we are embarrassing. If we fought every minute and finished 3rd I would have taken that but the manner we have dropped into this sub mockery of a european competition literally defines where we are at and that we are decades away from remotely being the team we once were.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We’re Europa League regulars nowadays.
FINALLY!

We are starting to see what's in front of us.

We are not a good team at the moment. Give it time.

We aren't as good as we used to be and we need to stop holding on to our past success.....and guess what.....we ridiculed Liverpool for doing that....and now look how the roles have changed.

Petulant behaviour from our fanbase.

croadyman

Play the under-10s.

It's an embarrassment for United to be in this competition again. But wait for the PR master, OGS, to spin this for the gullible fans (including many on this forum): "We play to win any tournament we are in. Winning trophies is what this club is all about."

Well, at least we won't come up against Sevilla this season.
No could be Real Madrid/Inter instead

Cantonagotmehere

I'd play the kids in Europa. Top 4 should be our main focus and we can use Europa to rest our key players. Winning the Europa is also another gateway to champions league football though but I don't think we will win it even if we play our best squad so what's the point
If we don't we are idiotic. But we tend to be idiotic.

fergosaurus

I'll watch but it's hard to get excited for it. The whole thing reeks of mediocrity. It will be a good opportunity to give minutes to fringe players but we should also take it seriously considering it's a back door into the CL.

croadyman

I'll watch but it's hard to get excited for it. The whole thing reeks of mediocrity. It will be a good opportunity to give minutes to fringe players but we should also take it seriously considering it's a back door into the CL.
Want to get there through the league

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I like watching us in the Europa League. Hope we do well.

Couldn’t imagine not watching those games. We’re playing exciting football at the moment.

croadyman

I like watching us in the Europa League. Hope we do well.

Couldn’t imagine not watching those games. We’re playing exciting football at the moment.
Yeah we are but would rather it was under Poch/Nagelsmann

The Oracle

You thought United had a chance in the league :lol::lol:

No I don't think Utd have a chance in the league (though I would love it if we did win it)

What I meant about my post was that I see the league as a 3-horse race: Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool.
If Spurs go all the way in the Europa League then history states that they won't win the league - leaving just Chelsea to stop Liverpool matching us with a 20th title win.

pablo__p

Apologies if this was mentioned earlier but Duncan Alexander said on the latest Totally Football Show that if we reach EL final this year we will have played as many games in CL as on EL since SAF retired...

Pretty shocking but then again maybe not.

big rons sovereign

The whining and dummy spitting in here. Get a grip guys, you'd think we were in the same boat as Bolton and Portsmouth the way some are going on.
Honestly, it's actually pathetic. "I'm not watching if this or that" waah waah waah. Fine, piss off then. The rest of us will at least try and enjoy it.
You never know, we could win a trophy. Which is way better than not winning one.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We shouldn't let it go easily imo. It might be a better chance to get into CL than top 4. It doesn't seem like we're on the same level as Liverpool, City and Chelsea because we're too reliant on one player. I don't think Bruno will be dragging us for the whole season, either his form drops (don't overplay him) or gets injured and we're fecked.
I reckon we will be fighting for 4th with Tottenham who are probably in similar situation to us, although they have two key players so I'd say they are favorites.

Speako

I guess it just shows how times have changed. Two of my favourite nights watching United were against Barca in the Cup Winners Cup, and I was absolutely gutted when Videoton knocked us out of the UEFA. Challenging for the top prize was a pipe dream. Then we had twenty glorious years. Now, we’re going through a new phase, shit happens. Demand the best for sure, but understand there’s ups and downs along a very long and winding journey. Support the lads whatever the game, whatever the occasion.