Importance of the January 2020 Transfer Window

Zed 101

I just hope that if we are going to try and buy somebody in January they are realistically obtainable, for instance I can just see us bidding a ridiculous amount for Maddison (but not enough to make Leicester actually sell), and we will spend all our efforts in the January transfer window and probably the summer on players that either do not want to be here, do want to be here but not to the extent that they will force a move, or from clubs who are not motivated sellers.

Not sure who we should go for but I think Ole is making sense if his instruction is to scout within the English league system, there are plenty of very good prospects within the Championship and League one, are they ready to step up and transform our midfield and attack, not in the remainder of this season but then if we are building for the future, we are building for the future.

croadyman

I just hope that if we are going to try and buy somebody in January they are realistically obtainable, for instance I can just see us bidding a ridiculous amount for Maddison (but not enough to make Leicester actually sell), and we will spend all our efforts in the January transfer window and probably the summer on players that either do not want to be here, do want to be here but not to the extent that they will force a move, or from clubs who are not motivated sellers.

Not sure who we should go for but I think Ole is making sense if his instruction is to scout within the English league system, there are plenty of very good prospects within the Championship and League one, are they ready to step up and transform our midfield and attack, not in the remainder of this season but then if we are building for the future, we are building for the future.
I have nothing against us scouting players within the English league system like Bellingham at Birmingham City, however I can't help feeling it's unbelievably negligent not having anyone at the club who has any knowledge of the European transfer market.

My gut feeling is that we will just use the existing squad to get round the McTominay injury rather than bringing in someone on a loan deal basis who could provide us with some cover and help us push towards those champions league places. I expect it to go very quiet on the transfer front now the Haaland thing isn't going to be happening despite the fact there are deals out there to be made in January if you have the right people in charge of recruitment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I have nothing against us scouting players within the English league system like Bellingham at Birmingham City, however I can't help feeling it's unbelievably negligent not having anyone at the club who has any knowledge of the European transfer market.

My gut feeling is that we will just use the existing squad to get round the McTominay injury rather than bringing in someone on a loan deal basis who could provide us with some cover and help us push towards those champions league places. I expect it to go very quiet on the transfer front now the Haaland thing isn't going to be happening despite the fact there are deals out there to be made in January if you have the right people in charge of recruitment.
You can't seriously believe we don't have anyone at the club who doesn't have the knowledge of the European market.

Just as we know about players like Bellingham at home, we also know about Hannibal Mejbri, Noam Emeran, Dillon Hoogewerf etc from abroad.

croadyman

You can't seriously believe we don't have anyone at the club who doesn't have the knowledge of the European market.

Just as we know about players like Bellingham at home, we also know about Hannibal Mejbri, Noam Emeran, Dillon Hoogewerf etc from abroad.
Honestly I don't want to believe it but just can't help feeling there would be more concrete links to players in the European market if we had a better knowledge of it. Just all seems to be about either British players or ones just based in Britain whether that be the premier league or football league.

bucky

:lol: I haven’t heard of any of them, but I’ll take ‘em
Boadu and Koopmeiners both play for Alkmaar. Koopmeiners is Alkmaar's skipper and has had 3 good seasons, he's 21 and a defensive midfielder with good passing. Boadu is a striker and 18 years old, who has recently made his debut for the Netherlands. Camavinga is 17 years old and has already impressed against PSG, he's playing for Rennes. Watching him, it's seems difficult to believe that he's that young, considering how good his decision making and passing already is. Matheus Henrique recently made his debut for Brazil. He gets compared to Arthur. He's probably not as talented and I've seen the least of him, but from what I've seen, his passing and his creativity stand out, mixed with decent workrate. Dani Olmo plays for Zagreb, I've mostly seen him at the under 21s tournament for Spain and in the CL this season. He can practically play anywhere as an attacking midfielder (he's 21 years old). Of those mentioned, I think he's probably the only one with a good chance to make a difference for us straight away. The others I'd mostly want for depth and replacing players, that should be gone like Matic, Pereira, Mata or Lingard.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Honestly I don't want to believe it but just can't help feeling there would be more concrete links to players in the European market if we had a better knowledge of it. Just all seems to be about either British players or ones just based in Britain whether that be the premier league or football league.
We have signed some excellent young talents for academy and the young player who is the best signing for Arsenal was on trial at ManUtd long back.

There isn't much scouts can do when our transfer strategy is very narrow minded.

RRCE

The January window is important, simply because the team requires so much and it’s an opportunity to strengthen. Obviously, the opportunity to bring players in won’t arise again until the summer window. To let this window pass without taking steps to advance the “rebuild”, if that‘s what it’s being called, would be further evidence is poor planning, ineffective recruiting and/or bad management.

While I accept that buying in the January window is more difficult, and perhaps expensive, the club must consider the cost of not strengthening. The squad lacks quality and depth, and we‘ve already seen first hand the inability to withstand a couple of injuries. We’re miles and miles from contending for the title, which is what the objective should be. Still, despite horrible inconsistency and some incredibly uninspired football, top four is still a possibility. A smart purchase or two in January could breath life into the team and propel them into a Champions League spot (either by finishing top four or winning the Europa League). That would make United a much more attractive option and make summer recruitment activity easier. The heavy lifting will certainly happen in the summer, but there’s undoubtedly some good business which could be done in January.

That said, I don’t expect any signings in January. We don’t seem to be credibly linked with anyone, and I don’t believe the owners / Board are prepared to make the financial commitment to winning. I hope I’m wrong, of course.

crossy1686

career ending
I consider it very unlikely that we will sign anyone this window.
I fancy our chances. We'll sign someone from a league that ends for the winter or someone from the Championship. Most likely just a squad option, not a first team starter but that will do until the summer anyway.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We'll bring in atleast one individual though I'm uncertain with regards to the position that player will fill-in.

Also,with Haaland out of the question it does make me wonder,if reports are true, what type of forward we're after.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I fancy our chances. We'll sign someone from a league that ends for the winter or someone from the Championship. Most likely just a squad option, not a first team starter but that will do until the summer anyway.
I just dont see it. Usually when we buy in january, the deals are basically wrapped up around Christmas (like LFC and Dortmund the past few days). And that makes sense too. Unless we are trying to pull of a very complicated deal (like Sanchez), but I doubt that.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If Ole has his targets and they're only available in the summer, would you still expect him to sign someone in January just for the sake of it?
No.
I'm not expecting any first XI signing to be made in January. I think there may be a very slim chance that we could sign Rice for way over the odds, or pluck someone from the Championship, but I don't think its very likely.
If players such as Maddison, Grealish & Kalvin Phillips really are our main targets, there's no way I see their current clubs being willing to let them go in January, and I also don't think that those players would be eager to leave their current club mid season either.

Pogba being available again will be touted as "just like a new signing" and possibly a random contract extension will also be touted as "just like another new signing"....January window closed.

Sp00ks11

Jesse Lingard on a 5 year extension will be our January signing.

How our rivals will worry, the mighty Manchester United, so called biggest club in the world, flexing their muscles once again. :drool:

Toni Roncoroni

What position would you play him?
I know the question wasn't for me but I would play him on the right side of a front three. He is often coming from the right at Leipzig. He could also change position with Rashford and Martial if those three are playing together.
Was seeing an interview with Nagelsmann where he mentioned that they adjusted Werners position this season a little bit. He isn't playing up front anymore and gets more spaces to run in when he is coming from behind. Would be a terrific player!

Rocknrolla69er

I know the question wasn't for me but I would play him on the right side of a front three. He is often coming from the right at Leipzig. He could also change position with Rashford and Martial if those three are playing together.
Was seeing an interview with Nagelsmann where he mentioned that they adjusted Werners position this season a little bit. He isn't playing up front anymore and gets more spaces to run in when he is coming from behind. Would be a terrific player!
More than welcome pal, love abit of insight, any opinions on Insigne? I think he d be perfect for us, while i think we need somebody egtting on the end of crosses and tap ins, id love that Firminho type player

Eric's Seagull

I think it is unlikely we are going to sign someone this window despite the need for at least 1 midfielder this window at a minimum. I hope that I am wrong. I think that it will drag on and maybe we will sign someone from the Championship but if we don't sign anybody in January, I really hope the club puts in serious investment in the summer.

I hope the club doesn't decide to hold off on some targets until the summer and then we see some other teams sign them in January.

Keanes Magic Hat

A lot of negative comments on our transfer strategy but I thought last summer, Ole's first as permanent manager we made very good signings. He seems to have a direction and type of player he wants, something we have lacked with past few managers. I'm confident he will buy smart and not panic buy.

Squad was full of deadwood when he arrived he's trimming it bit by bit, so would be stupid to starting add players who lack sufficient quality

Lynty

Most Championship squads with even an outside chance on promotion (via playoffs) will not part with their best players at this point. Wouldn't make financial sense, and would be seen as throwing in the towel by their fan base. E.g Eze, Phillips etc are off limits until summer.

I don't think we'll sign anyone. We need quality in midfield or number 10 but theres no quality players realistically available. We can't gamble and end up with a player who's arguably no better than our squad fillers (Pereira, Fred, McTominay, Mata etc.) The only way I can see us getting someone, is if we hijack a Emre Can or Leandro Paredes deal - and we'll end up paying a premium.

Toni Roncoroni

More than welcome pal, love abit of insight, any opinions on Insigne? I think he d be perfect for us, while i think we need somebody egtting on the end of crosses and tap ins, id love that Firminho type player
Appreciated. Honestly I am not really following Serie A so I am not really able to say anything about Insigne. I just know him from the national team where he looks terrific on his day. He is quick, good ball control and has an aggressive style (grinta in italian).

A player like Firmino would be awesome. As he often drops deep and allows the wingers to come in the center upfront. His holding up of the ball is amazing. I could see Martial playing in a similar position. I think Ole is trying this link up play with the No. 10 position but we do not have anybody capable of doing this the right way.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Is he? Every time I see him he comes in from the left, similar too Rashford. Naturally, as he is right footed.

Toni Roncoroni

Is he? Every time I see him he comes in from the left, similar too Rashford. Naturally, as he is right footed.
In the German national team he was often playing on the left or trough the middle. But the games I saw this season he was mostly coming from the right. As you mentioned he is great in coming in from the left. But for a right footed player he is doing it just as fine when coming from the right. He know often arrives a little bit later in the box which makes him so hard to mark. In my point of view he really stepped up his game as his numbers are showing too.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Complaining about us not being linked to anyone, when in reality we'll be linked to the most players out of any club in the world. Every time someone signs for another team it will be used as a stick to beat ourselves with irrespective of whether we were actually in for them, gleefully by some on here.

Rodgerzzz

The lack of any real January links is worrying, especially now as the two players we have been linked with for Jan (Haaland & Manduzkic) have gone elsewhere. In the past I remember the talk being that the club is keeping its cards close to its chest and has got something up its sleeve. Now you struggle to believe theres anything in the works.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Complaining about us not being linked to anyone, when in reality we'll be linked to the most players out of any club in the world. Every time someone signs for another team it will be used as a stick to beat ourselves with irrespective of whether we were actually in for them, gleefully by some on here.
People are complaining because the players we've been "strongly" linked to are unrealistic in January. We've been linked strongly with Maddison Grealish Eriksen Haaland and Soumare.

We've already lost out on Haaland. Eriksen is achievable in January but it's unrealistic to say he wants to come to us. Soumare is the only attainable player. And he isn't exactly what we need. We need a creative midfielder.

enurs

I would seriously look into Hwang from Satzburg. He played with Haaland on top and a brilliant player that would cost less than Haaland.
His not a pure goal scorer but more a mix of a nr 10 and a forward. He can play as nr 10 and nr 9 and more important, I don't think he has a problem being a sub for a year or two.
23 years of age so he fits into our plans and his extremely technical.

United Pro

What position would you play him?
Up front, potentially alongside Martial in a 4-4-2 formation. If we were to keep our current formation, then he'd arguably play over Martial up front. Personally, I don't think a striker should be a priority signing, but if we were to target one we'd be hard pressed to find a better (potentially) available one than Werner.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We need creativity in midfield and a back-up centre forward.

Grealish and Ben Yedder? No idea what the cost would be though.

Honestly, I wouldn't oppose getting someone like Ings or Pukki in to be back-up to Martial.

crossy1686

career ending
We need creativity in midfield and a back-up centre forward.

Grealish and Ben Yedder? No idea what the cost would be though.

Honestly, I wouldn't oppose getting someone like Ings or Pukki in to be back-up to Martial.
Pukki is pretty shit, it would be like us signing James Beattie or Darren Bent back in the days, Josh King is better but injury prone.

Villa won't let Grealish go, if they do they might as well prepare for the Championship now. Think we'll have to go abroad to a lesser league to get a player in this window. Eastern Europe or Scandinavia would be the most likely places, unless there's someone bench warming somewhere in a big league who wants out?

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I would seriously look into Hwang from Satzburg. He played with Haaland on top and a brilliant player that would cost less than Haaland.
His not a pure goal scorer but more a mix of a nr 10 and a forward. He can play as nr 10 and nr 9 and more important, I don't think he has a problem being a sub for a year or two.
23 years of age so he fits into our plans and his extremely technical.
Not sure about him. Failed on loan at Hamburg in the German second division. Looked good when I have seen him at Salzburg though.

enurs

Not sure about him. Failed on loan at Hamburg in the German second division. Looked good when I have seen him at Salzburg though.
Played two good matches against Liverpool in CL. We need someone that's good with the ball and can work hard. Another point is he don't need to be a starter and i bet that's no problem for him as long as he gets a chance to play for United.
We need to build our squad and we can’t do that with only bringing in superstars that expect to start every match. Hwang fits perfect with Ole’s strategy. His more technical than Martial and his work rate is much higher. On the other hand I doubt he will ever score 20 goals in a season.

Denis' cuff

Unbelievable innit?

The Sun link us with a player without any evidence whatsoever = In the minds of half the people on here they become “targets”.

“We have been linked with....” Give me a fecking break. Some genius journo invents a story and because it doesn’t eventuate, Ole, Ed (not that I’m defending the leach) or whoever, have failed, again. Not even sayin they have/haven’t failed. Do yourselves a favour and stop sucking it all up.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not a chance of getting anyone to make a real effect... and may not do so in the summer either. Beginning to look more and more like 1990s Liverpool

Devil may care

I'm not that bothered about Haaland, I'm not saying he's not a decent young talent but it's not like we are short of young attackers. Right now we need to be focused on midfield, McTominay is injured, Pogba isn't suited to the double pivot and Matic is finished, Fred needs some help.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Unbelievable innit?

The Sun link us with a player without any evidence whatsoever = In the minds of half the people on here they become “targets”.

“We have been linked with....” Give me a fecking break. Some genius journo invents a story and because it doesn’t eventuate, Ole, Ed (not that I’m defending the leach) or whoever, have failed, again. Not even sayin they have/haven’t failed. Do yourselves a favour and stop sucking it all up.
It's easier to just not pay any attention to those articles anymore. Some of our biggest transfers occured with the journos knowing feck all up until close to the end. Can't be arsed to help the publications with clicks anymore. There are more productive things to read.

C'est Moi Cantona

Do we ever really do anything from a position of strength? We are playing ok, have a genuine chance of getting top 4, and we have massive Erkisen type player hole in the team, yet I guarantee we'd rather leave until the summer and chance getting him on a free, rather than spend the £20 million or so it might cost to buy him now, and genuinely make a difference to this season.

If we were on our arse, and looking really desperate, then we'd be all over it.