Importance of the January 2020 Transfer Window

croadyman

We have signed some excellent young talents for academy and the young player who is the best signing for Arsenal was on trial at ManUtd long back.

There isn't much scouts can do when our transfer strategy is very narrow minded.
We have signed some excellent young talents for academy and the young player who is the best signing for Arsenal was on trial at ManUtd long back.

There isn't much scouts can do when our transfer strategy is very narrow minded.
Yeah our transfer strategy is far too narrow minded and will mean we could miss out on picking up some top European talent, there is absolutely nothing wrong in scouting the top british talent but this constant lack of concrete links to non british players is seriously concerning to say the least.

Last edited:

enurs

Under Ole:

Rashford will have his best season
Martial will have his best season
Greenwood will have his best season
Fred is doing fantastic, last season everyone wanted to sell him.
James, who? Ole found him
Williams will have his best season

This tells me Ole is a manager that can take players to their next level. A real level up
I hope we continue this trend and get players in January that we can improve. Same as Liverpool did with mane and salah.

Reactions: VeevaVee

Denis' cuff

It's easier to just not pay any attention to those articles anymore. Some of our biggest transfers occured with the journos knowing feck all up until close to the end. Can't be arsed to help the publications with clicks anymore. There are more productive things to read.
I know mate. I’ll confess to occasionally going to a newspaper site but only if there’s been a solid lead from here or elsewhere, first. I know there’s a fair amount of hysteria as well as anti-United views on here (not all oppo fans either) but at least you can read between the lines and the truth is usually distilled eventually.

Half the time I watch matches with the sound turned off, depending on the commentary team. Again, there’s more expertise on here than your average commentator and even ex-pros are often clueless. Actually, I’d love to see someone like Balotelli come back and do analysis or co-commentary on Sky.

Mylock

Van de beek
Eric dier
Bale
Transfers like the above have got us into the mess on the 1st place, wasting money on inferior talent. We need to bring in players that are better than what we have and can grow into world class talent. Bale career is on the way down, he turned his down twice. Dier and Van de beek are limited.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm very confident the club won't sign anyone this window but will be linked to more players than any other club.

theklr

I'm very confident the club won't sign anyone this window but will be linked to more players than any other club.
Think we will get a young midfielder so we can offload Matic, especially now that McT is out.

MrSingh2002

I echo that. I don't believe the club will make a single signing this window.

We desperately need a left back, defensive midfielder and a number 10. The club and Ole I don't feel are organised or strong enough to get a player that makes us better.

We need a left back better than Shaw, cdm better than Matic and number 10 better than Pereira, Lingard and Pogba (who wants out). I don't see the task as difficult but let's see if they can manage anything or draw a blank again.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Given what we've seen of Garner there isn't really a huge risk with trying to buy an established, 7/10 midfielder just as a warm body imo.

Try to find a decent professional, proven, who would view United as a step up in their career, would like the wage boost and therefore would be keen. Doesn't need to be a world-beater, but someone at a McT's level.

For example, Buendia at Norwich, or Rico at Bouremouth, or any host of Championship players tbh.

Obviously would love a Grealish, but I can't see that happening now, and we desperately need cover, now.

Flying high

Signing a player in Jan is certainly possible, even if It costs a little more to pursuade a club to sell.

I hope the match going fans put some clear pressure on the club to buy at least one player this month. Given that new players usually take some time to settle, leaving the 4 or 5 signings we need all to the summer means we are already conceding next seasons title as well.

We need to show ambition now. Ole must pressure the board for investment, in private for now, but if we reach the end of the window with no signings then he needs to call out the owners or be further tainted by their incompetence.

dev1l

Think we will get a young midfielder so we can offload Matic, especially now that McT is out.
I hope I m wrong but I think we ll sign no one and Matic will get an extension

RUCK4444

Under Ole:

This tells me Ole is a manager that can take players to their next level. A real level up
I hope we continue this trend and get players in January that we can improve. Same as Liverpool did with mane and salah.
Exactly this mate. Ole has been awesome with the younger players, no doubt.

If we don’t back him it will be criminal and I will personally give up all hope of our recovery as a club for the foreseeable.

wolvored

I hope I m wrong but I think we ll sign no one and Matic will get an extension
Read on a few media sites hes determined to leave. Dont think he will sign an extention to sit on the bench 90% of the time.

ShinjiNinja26

It just feels like we aren’t going to sign anyone, we desperately need a couple of midfielders but I just get the feeling we’ll do nothing, hopefully I’m wrong.

Litch

It will be criminal if we don't sign a midfielder. If waiting for the right player is Ole strategy, the the most recent failure proves you can end up with nothing if the right player doesn't feel Utd is the right club....

flappyjay

Under Ole:

McTominay is also having his best season

Hawks2008

Honestly with some strong recruitment the season is still salvageable, top 4 and even some silverware isn't out of reach yet. Will be disappointed if the club doesn't make something happen but given how we dither in the market it won't be surprising.

dev1l

Read on a few media sites hes determined to leave. Dont think he will sign an extention to sit on the bench 90% of the time.
With Mctominay 2 months out and Pogba s forfeits I think Matic will spend less time on the bench in the coming months

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Under Ole:

I agree with most of those points mate, but Woodward confirmed earlier in the season that United had been watching James for two years prior to signing him. Ole did not find him.

Rob Bowman

I am so worried. I really feel we are close and with some upgrades we could really have a shot at top 4. And please understand getting top four makes a huge difference on what players we get next summer and is worth 30 mil for our clause in the Adidas contract. So spending 30 mil right now for at least one player should be a no brainer.

With the current squad I see some really big holes we need to fill. A team that starts Pereira or Lingard is short quality. Plus our squad is so thin. Remember last year how we just wore out the end of last year? Expect the same this year unless we get some more players so we can rotate quality. So based on the above two points I would love three players but could live with two. Unfortunately i expect one or none.

The priorities as i see them...

CM- We need two and my preferences would be a true ACM and a true DCM. These two and Pogba, Fred, McT would make a great axis to build on.

RW/Striker- We need one more player. If I was guaranteed Sancho I would wait but with Martial, Rashford, James and Greenwood one more quality player (the 5 players 3 positions rule) would be sweet.

wolvored

With Mctominay 2 months out and Pogba s forfeits I think Matic will spend less time on the bench in the coming months
Probably till McTom returns he will get a few games, but I think he will leave in the summer, doubtful now this month, unless we bring someone in.

oreon

At this point, Pogba is as good as gone. Pogba plays only when Pogba feels like it. With Mctominay out, we have to buy a midfielder now !! We have a good shot a at the top 4 if we properly reinforce. If we miss out on the UCL, the addidas sponsporship money gets cut. We also loose out on the UCL revenue. So whatever money we spend now, we will save a lot more by making the top 4. Any decision not to reinforce the midfield is stupid and short sighted. And noone should buy the right players were not availabl excuse, because it's absolute BS

dev1l

We will most probably sign 2 midfielders in summer and we will be told that we have to wait for another year for a striker...

dev1l

WE NEED A FECKING MIDFIELDER TO HELP FRED.
Thing is in 3 weeks or so we ll hear that Matic extended his contract and the club will not make any signings as players we were looking at were not available

Romez

We NEED to sign at least two players this transfer window, it’s pure incompetence if we don’t.

Guarantee there are players in the French league, German league, Dutch league, probably even the Championship who can add something to this squad who are attainable at a reasonable price.