Importance of the January 2020 Transfer Window

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We NEED to sign at least two players this transfer window, it’s pure incompetence if we don’t.

Guarantee there are players in the French league, German league, Dutch league, probably even the Championship who can add something to this squad who are attainable at a reasonable price.
Agreed, it's incompetence that we hadn't got a midfielder already lined up given Pogbas and McToms injuries.

mav_9me

Agreed, it's incompetence that we hadn't got a midfielder already lined up given Pogbas and McToms injuries.
100%. If we don't sign two midfielders I am going to stop watching. feck off with this nonsense. At least that way I can save 2hrs of my life every weekend. fecking pathetic.

TrustInOle

January is important, but won't change much. This squad has been found lacking time and time again. Shaw, Matic, Lingard, Mata, Jones, Rojo, Sanchez, Smalling (?) and Pogba (?) all need replacing or still to be sold. A mixture of not being good enough and lack of consistent desire is lacking incredibly.

AWB, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Andreas, James and Greenwood all have tremendous potential but lack the quality currently to perform to the standards of where we should be aiming right now but would be perfect for first 11 rotation.

So basically we are left with; DDG, Maguire, Fred, Scott, Rashford and Martial who I would feel, be of the quality for consistent starts. That would end up being an overhaul and bringing in 5 quality first team players, and 5 more exclusively for squad rotation to have a chance. This is more work than required in one window and would be a genuine master stroke to achieve something like this withing 2.

Regardless who the manager, they will need time and patience to even begin to build a squad out of what we have and the inconsistency doesnt surprise me. I would say I would trust Ole with what he is doing so far with my only gripe being his consistency in starting Lingard who continues to be the worst player on the pitch, win or lose.

The state the club has been in within the last 6 years is going to take time to recover from.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
January is important, but won't change much. This squad has been found lacking time and time again. Shaw, Matic, Lingard, Mata, Jones, Rojo, Sanchez, Smalling (?) and Pogba (?) all need replacing or still to be sold. A mixture of not being good enough and lack of consistent desire is lacking incredibly.
This is ultimately the issue. If you said 18 months ago which players were shit and needed selling then the players you've listed would all feature very high up on this forums lists. That's ultimately the problem, we've had one Summer of rinsing out dead wood and yet there's still so much to get rid of. The difference being that we're not actually replacing those players, we're relying on youth players to fill the voids. Huge investment required in the next two windows if we're going to even attempt to get back into the top 4 let alone mounting any kind of serious title challenge. This is irrespective of whether you believe in Ole or not.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I just want us to sign a bit of a prick, someone who will throw a few tackles about and shout at everyone for being shit. Sure he'll pick up bookings and red cards but in games like today our midfield needs some bite.

Thiagoal

We NEED to sign at least two players this transfer window, it’s pure incompetence if we don’t.

Guarantee there are players in the French league, German league, Dutch league, probably even the Championship who can add something to this squad who are attainable at a reasonable price.
Buying random players from these leagues just to quench your thirst for a new signing is not the answer! We need players that are substantially better than the ones we have! If these players aren’t available then of course we shouldn’t buy anyone!

dev1l

This is ultimately the issue. If you said 18 months ago which players were shit and needed selling then the players you've listed would all feature very high up on this forums lists. That's ultimately the problem, we've had one Summer of rinsing out dead wood and yet there's still so much to get rid of. The difference being that we're not actually replacing those players, we're relying on youth players to fill the voids. Huge investment required in the next two windows if we're going to even attempt to get back into the top 4 let alone mounting any kind of serious title challenge. This is irrespective of whether you believe in Ole or not.
You can't blame the coaches for this mismanagement - if you re the manager and you know that the board is not able to sign a replacement for a "deadwood" player, you have no choice but to tell them to extend his contract.
People must understand that this has been going on for years - board is full of incompetents.
When Mourinho left we had around 10 players that needed to be replaced but our negotiating team only managed to sign 3.(they were able to work on one signing at a time)
That s why the squad is so imbalanced.

If people think, that we only need to change managers, they re clearly deluded. No proper manager can work in.this environment.

Romez

Buying random players from these leagues just to quench your thirst for a new signing is not the answer! We need players that are substantially better than the ones we have! If these players aren’t available then of course we shouldn’t buy anyone!
If you don’t think there isn’t a midfielder or two out there who we could get for a reasonable price £30m or less and the team would be willing to let them go in January who is better than Lingard, I don’t know what to tell you mate.

jamesjimmybyrondean

With Pogba out we now need 2 creative midfielders in fecking January under fecking Woodward. 2 creative midfielders or top 4 is gone. What is also worrying is the fact that we need them immediately.

We're being hit left and right with tough fixtures already this month. We won't survive without getting two creative players. And a striker that's a plan B

SAFMUTD

I wouldn’t spend one dollar in any player before getting rid of Ole, being honest he’s a deadman walking it would be really stupid from us to spend on a player chosen by a manager who wont be here by next season.

Thiagoal

If you don’t think there isn’t a midfielder or two out there who we could get for a reasonable price £30m or less and the team would be willing to let them go in January who is better than Lingard, I don’t know what to tell you mate.
The point is that we need to sign top quality players that are going to vastly improve us and push us back towards the top of the league! Yes they may be a 30 million pound bargain (that’s not the point) Just signing any old midfielder that’s a bit better than Fred and Matic will leave us i the same shit position we’re in now next season and beyond! Said signing then becomes dead wood we’re trying to offload because they’re not good enough in two years!

We should have top quality targets that we go for and if we can land them in January great; if not then wait until they are!

CM

We're going to sleepwalk through this transfer window with nothing to show for it. I just hope this setback with Pogba isn't another prolonged period out.

Eric's Seagull

Thing is in 3 weeks or so we ll hear that Matic extended his contract and the club will not make any signings as players we were looking at were not available
Really hope that we don't give Matic an extension.

Have a feeling that it is going to be a tough window and really hope we have some decent players lined up and ready to make a bid but I have a feeling we are going to have to rough it out until the summer, although I really hope that I'm wrong.

Roboc7

We’re not buying anyone and I doubt we’ll even get players we need in the summer. Same old excuses will be rolled out.

Eric's Seagull

We’re not buying anyone and I doubt we’ll even get players we need in the summer. Same old excuses will be rolled out.
I can't see us buying anybody this window as I've a feeling the right players won't be available. Think we seriously need to strengthen to achieve Champions League qualification. If we don't get Champions League we will find it harder to attract quality players. I hope we do something special in the next 2 windows. I think we should try and get some players who are playing well from the Championship and hopefully they became stars here before someone else buys them and we have to pay extortionate prices in a few years time.

NamedAfterGiggs

Although the lack of creativity in the Number 10 position is clear, I feel like we also need a box to box cm that can break through an opponent’s press and commit men, making space for others. We need some quick, decisive players in the middle of the park. Arsenal’s press tonight dominated us. We got dominated by Granit Xhaka. If we do get anyone I’m convinced the best our scouts can come up with is the premier league flavour of the month. We’ll probably end up spending £70m on Declan Rice or Eric Dier (who are exactly what we don’t need)

croadyman

Yeah it's complete and utter negligence not getting any midfielders last summer, we didn't even bother to replace Herrera and now have lost two of our starting CM players for an extended period of time. I am certain we would bring in a controlling CM and number ten in this window if we had proper football people in charge rather than the clowns currently running the club into the ground.

Hoof the ball

If it weren't enough that clubs knew we were looking to invest in January and had significant weak points to address, it's going to be even worse now that clubs are aware that we have two crisis injuries in midfield which threatening to further derail our season.

In short, the bottom line on transfer valuation for targets has most certainly just increased. Clubs know we will be in full January window desperate mode.

croadyman

Yeah the pathetic excuses are not even funny now, we don't sign anyone at all with this CM injury crisis and we can officially be titled the new banter club of the premier league.

Touseef

Even if the right players are unavailable till summer, we can sign some players up on loan... I'm sure there will be players available who can do a good job and clubs letting them come here for a few millions. We can't just wait till the summer. CL is really important

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I’m sure Woodward’s super duper new recruitment software and process has analysed 673 midfielders and strikers and. through rigourous due dillegence scouted and shortlisted 5.

Of which 2 were called Halland and Sancho who’d be mad to join us right now. Ditto DeLigt last summer.

This will be our major problem: the types of player we require and are no doubt on our shortlist won’t be attracted to join us right now, especially when they know City, Chelsea, Spurs will also have places available over next 6 months.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I’m sure Woodward’s super duper new recruitment software and process has analysed 673 midfielders and strikers and. through rigourous due dillegence scouted and shortlisted 5.

Of which 2 were called Halland and Sancho who’d be mad to join us right now. Ditto DeLigt last summer.

This will be our major problem: the types of player we require and are no doubt on our shortlist won’t be attracted to join us right now, especially when they know City, Chelsea, Spurs will also have places available over next 6 months.
Leicester bought Vardy, Mahrez and Kante. Everton bought Gueye and Digne. Wolves bought Neves. There are loads of players around who would improve our squad and there are also loads of players who could improve our first XI. It's not just a selection of 5 players in Europe or something. We've got 50 scouts. And, according to the manager, the financial resources (that we've greatly limited in '18 and '19). There is no way a club like ours couldn't greatly improve this team, if the ambition was there.

manunited1919

We have Fred playing every single game, and he runs a lot. I don’t want to jinx us, but we are a hamstring injury away from being involved in a relegation battle, for real.

We HAVE to buy!

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Not buying in January would be the same mentality as Maguire doddling with the ball at the back in the 30th minute when we are losing.

The club needs some urgency in the way it does things. I don't mean reckless short term thinking but every game and every season is there to be won. Of course plan for years in advance but that doesn't mean we forget about the present.

Everyone around us is floundering, if we get some creativity in in January we have a real chance at top four. That would be a massive step to any long term plan we have

SAFMUTD

We wont bring anybody, firstly this season like our failed manager has said “its a write off” and will be used to find next season squad.

And secondly I dont believe the Glazzers will want to spend money for a coach that will be clearly replaced in the summer at best, I get they don’t want Ole spending on his type of players when a new coach may arrive and dont like them at all.

el3mel

Must sign a midfielder. Has nothing to do with being ambitious. We are totally fecked there and gonna be for few months with no Pogba or Scott. If we don't sign anyone there, season will be over by the time Scott returns.

norm87cro

Just got up this morning and I thought I'm not hot headed about yesterday anymore and I can surley contribute something constructive on this site before taking a week long break from this place. Somebody created a thread about the lack of ambition of the club if we don't sign anybody and its an example of just how many additional, pointless and similar (to other threads) threads get created with every passing bad result. It is also proof of just how fed up and abused we all are as a fan base. The reason this is prehaps the most important transfer window in a while is not because of our lack of quality in midfield, or the Pogba situation, or even the fact that we don't have much quality in the back department. It is a window where the club needs to make a strong statement and the lack of it would be very indicating of just how far from a big seroius club we are and where our board stands on the matter. At this point I'd be happy with two or three bargain deals as well if they were conducted properly and with a sense of direction. But I don't think we (as a club) are looking at this very long term and after 7 years of bad investment we are where we are. I still haven't changed my vote for sacking Ole because I really don't see what a new appointment would bring to a club that looks a shambles from top to bottom. But it is clear he's not holding all the cards and he doesn't know what is going on with Pogba.

Last edited:

beingshe7don

Just got up this morning and I thought I'm not hot headed about yesterday anymore and I can surley contribute something constructive on this site before taking a week long break from this place. Somebody created a thread about the lack of ambition of the club if we don't sign anybody and its an example of just how many additional, pointless and similar (to other threads) threads get created with every passing bad result. It is also proof of just how fed up and abused we all are as a fan base. The reason this is prehaps the most important transfer window in a while is not because of our lack of quality in midfield, or the Pogba situation, or even the fact that we don't have much quality in the back department. It is a window where the club needs to make a strong statement and the lack of it would be very indicating of just how far from a big seroius club we are and where our board stands on the matter. At this point I'd be happy with two or three bargain deals as well if they were conducted properly and with a sense of direction. But I don't think we (as a club) are looking at this very long term and after 7 years of bad investment we are where we are. I still haven't change my vote for sacking Ole because I really don't see what a new appointment would bring to a club that looks a shambles from top to bottom. But it is clear he's not holding all the cards and he doesn't know what is going on with Pogba.
Honestly, Ole has not learned the art of lifting the team tactically when we are trailing. We were known as the comeback kings of Europe once upon a time. These days, the moment we've conceded, more than 70% of the time, we end up losing that game. For that reason alone, I want Ole gone. We've become this one direction team that relies on counter attacking football. There's no tactic on how to outwit the opposition if they sit back. Ole just doesn't have the tools to react when plan A isn't working for him. Also, the decision of letting Herrera and Fellaini go and not insisting to the board that we need reinforcements in the midfield department shows lack of intelligence or a backbone in front of the board. Also our players are seriously underperforming. I mean nothing much has changed in terms of play since Mourinho left.

This is not a knee jerk reaction but seriously, United spent 130m to strengthen the defense and we conceded 2 goals by a team that was struggling to win. Fair enough we didn't score any goals but to concede and the manner in which we were taken to the cleaners by Arsenal was ridiculous. They were creating spaces like crazy and their passes were a lot crisp and accurate. Our players get the ball, take a few touches, look up to see if anyone's open and then pass it backwards or sideways. Any ambitious ball ahead ends up losing possession. Let's just face it. Without Pogba, this team deserves to end up 10 or so. De Gea whose supposed to be one of the best keepers in the world has been atrocious. I don't see how this team and club plan on resurrecting their ambitions. Getting rid of Ole would be a start. I'm not saying we need Poch but we need someone whose tactically sound and can actually the team on how to move and create spaces. It's so sad but our players don't know how to move or find a pass forward.

manunited1919

I posted this in the thread about showing ambition, I’m going to leave it here as well:

We absolutely need to sign at least 1 capable midfielder this January, and not because we need to show ambition; it’s more as an insurance to prevent the sxxt really hitting the fan:
  • Pogba seems to need a surgery
  • McT is out injured for some time
  • Pereira is terrible as a number 8
  • Matic’s legs are gone
So that leaves us with Fred playing each and every game. If Fred gets injured, which is possible due to playing each game, things can turn ugly very very quickly.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I posted this in the thread about showing ambition, I’m going to leave it here as well:
The same could be said for our attack tbh. An injury to Rashford or Martial and bang goes our goals. The squad is so wafer thin right now. I don't even think it matters who we bring in right now, as long as they're decent squad material options then its an improvement on what we currently have.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think a new manager and even two signings would be enough to push on and claim that final spot. A number 10 and another option across the front 3 would have the squad looking not to bad at all. Williams starting and a pogba rep if he is sold too.

As of today, still in 4 competitions. A change, a system and a bit of new blood would see us 4th. Spurs are going nowhere, Chelsea haven’t looked good recently and Arsenal won’t fix that back line in the January window.

Its so frustrating because I see us out of two competitions over the next few weeks and further behind 4th.

A change now would give everyone a lift and belief and we could start next season with real optimism.

It will just be allowed to drift though. I don’t think consistency under Ole is attainable, even with a few new faces.

G_and_T

If yesterday didn't convince the UTD hierarchy that we need reinforcements nothing will. In the summer Ole said he had a great squad and was going to use the kids more. Yesterday would have been a good time to throw in Gomes, a player full of creativity and energy against a disciplined side. Instead we had the nothingness of Lingard, and the tired legs of Fred and Matic. Fred can't play every game, the guy is clearly tired. Matic is not known for making a creative pass. Andreas tried to get the energy up but really should have come on when we went 1 down. My point is, if Ole isn't going to spend money, then he needs to actually use the squad he was raving about in the summer. My biggest frustration is that he keeps trying the same thing over and over without being willing to change. Lingard is sadly not the player he was two years ago. Either use the kids or go out and buy new players, stop using the same tired players.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Badly need at least one signing, escpecially a Midfielder.

Could do with a ten as well but that wont happen.