In 1994 there was a banner at Anfield...

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Hehe... Sounds like what most LFC fans said when King Kenny stormed off at the beginning of the 90's, a bit presumptuous. I wouldn't be so sure at all.

Take nothing for granted, and enjoy the moments we have now with Fergie, 'cause you never know what is around the corner, with the Glazers having us £700M in debt, world recession, and the most obvious of all; that there isn't another manager on earth even half as good as Sir Alex.

Don't mind all this 'next year' jazz from opposition fans... what they are all truly waiting for is Sir Alex to retire. I think by that act alone it would be a massive physiological boost to Chelsea, LFC, Arse and obviously the opposite for us.
He'll be carried out of Old Trafford in a box.... many many years from now :devil:

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
It's not that we'd suddenly become rubbish when Sir Alex quits. It would only take a very slight dip to weaken us, as you see there is so little in the difference of winning and coming 2nd or 3rd, that naturally has a knock-on effect.

As Shanks once "First is first, 2nd is nowhere" ;)
I fairness Shankly talked alot of nonsense aswell.

"Football isnt a matter or life & death - its more important than that"

Bollox statement when you consider having bury a family member, a close friend etc.. football is secondary to life & death!

The Wizard

Bollox statement when you consider having bury a family member, a close friend etc.. football is secondary to life & death!
The ;) was there for a reason :)

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things

I think he may have been joking a little. Shanks was a great manager and a great man as Busby would tell you.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Come on RHD you know that was a joke of a statement. Bit like when posters on forums exclaim that they would marry a footballer ahead of their girlfriends! (yes Brophs thinking of you mate).

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
That's the thing though. How long has he got to viva.

Not that I wish any ill.
You'll probably be on 18-4 this summer, so won't be long before we're properly off that perch. However, Fergie will be nearing 70 then. That is reaaally old.

I see you're trying to make a not-so-implicit assumption that we'll stop being successful when Fergie steps down - a common theme amongst your brethren in recent times.

Just because you imploded after Dalglish left you in the lurch (the decline started under him), doesn't mean every single other club has to follow your lead.

We'll be doing everything possible to ensure we don't suffer your fate. You'll be the antithesis for our blueprint. For example, I'm sure Fergie will not be leaving the club in decline and in need of drastic repair, and I'm sure we'll also not appoint Souness as his successor.

Just two little things of many that we can do to avoid doing a Liverpool.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Just two little things of many that we can do to avoid doing a Liverpool.
Steve Bruce, McLaren and Quieroz are just round the corner. Don't underestimate the power of sentimentality.

In any case, how many times has mankind learned from history? None.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Steve Bruce, McLaren and Quieroz are just round the corner. Don't underestimate the power of sentimentality.
Ridiculous desperation on your part.

There's not a chance in hell United will hand the reigns to one of those three. There's no room for sentimentality in this instance. United and Fergie are wise enough to know this, just like they've known when not to be sentimental before (see: getting rid of Beckham, Phil Neville, Keane etc).

In any case, how many times has mankind learned from history? None.
Most of mankind's entire knowledge of dealing with everything is based on learning from history, actually.

Besides, it doesn't take a genius to work out that if you leave a club in decline needing alot of work, you'll make your successor's job very difficult, especially if your successor has very little top level experience.

Liverpool were doomed from the start. Anyway, we're not learning from you - that would be like trying to learn from Enron. For every football club like Liverpool, who went into decline after a change of manager, there's several others, such as Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich, who have continued to be successful despite a high turnover of managers.

You'll just have to keep hoping we'll go down your route, rather than the one alot of the other big clubs have taken.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Come on RHD you know that was a joke of a statement. Bit like when posters on forums exclaim that they would marry a footballer ahead of their girlfriends! (yes Brophs thinking of you mate).
I know a few Pool fans (do my head in) who quite literally take serious - every word that Shankly said, including the "football, life & death statement.." - and you'd argue with them to stop being so bloody rediculous. Deaf ears spring to mind :D

RedLars

We neeeeeed a picture of this.

Should someone find it, it should be made the banner at the top here at RedCafe, with everyone's forum rank being changed to Oh Ah Cantona once we get that point!

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I know a few Pool fans (do my head in) who quite literally take serious - every word that Shankly said, including the "football, life & death statement.." - and you'd argue with them to stop being so bloody rediculous. Deaf ears spring to mind :D
In fairness, Shankly was a wise man.

His best quote: "If you're first, you're first. If you're second, you're nothing."

Tell your friends that one. :D

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish

Bearded but no genius

At least we only sing it when we're playing them.
Says the Liverpool fan on the United message board.

Somehow I have the feeling that when we were singing "are you watching Merseyside?" that you were.

Forever in your shadow.

18.5-17 (one point away).

Nearco

youth team player
If we let them have their two war titles can we have all the trophies we`d have won if Munich had never happened?

topper

Clown
on Sky Sports after the match they showed some United supporters holding up a poster celebrating our 18th win then they switched to a shot from the archives which was the one the thread referred to - Keys chuckled at the Scouse pic

Sonny Feehan

I was always so proud that United had the much richer history on a world scale, and that we were the more famous and glamourous club.

:devil:
Spot on. I've been watching United since the fifties and even during the 70s and 80s I was always comfortable with our status and reputation as a much bigger club than Liverpool were or ever would be. The fact that our trophy haul now reflects our superiority is mere icing on the cake.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Just saw a freakish stat. Everytime we've gone ahead in the league title stakes since the 1900s you've matched it. I'll try to find it again, but if anyone else finds it post it here.

gerrydaly

Praying to have a guy on top of him
You mean this?

Liverpool 1901
Liverpool 1906
United 1908
United 1911
Liverpool 1923
Liverpool 1947
United 1956
United 1957
Liverpool 1973
Liverpool 1976
Liverpool 1977
Liverpool 1979
Liverpool 1980
Liverpool 1982
Liverpool 1983
Liverpool 1984
Liverpool 1986
Liverpool 1988
Liverpool 1990
United 1993
United 1994
United 1996
United 1997
United 1999
United 2000
United 2001
United 2003
United 2007
United 2008
United 2009

mjs020294

Liverpool 1973
Liverpool 1976
Liverpool 1977
Liverpool 1979
Liverpool 1980
Liverpool 1982
Liverpool 1983
Liverpool 1984
Liverpool 1986
Liverpool 1988
Liverpool 1990

United 1993
United 1994
United 1996
United 1997
United 1999
United 2000
United 2001
United 2003
United 2007
United 2008
United 2009

Having lived through the Liverpool glory years I never thought any team would match that run....and we have actually done it a year quicker.....amazing. :D

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Having lived through the Liverpool glory years I never thought any team would match that run....and we have actually done it a year quicker.....amazing. :D
So next season will be the first time you go ahead in the stakes if the pattern is to be broken.

dicko

You mean this?

Liverpool 1901
Liverpool 1906
United 1908
United 1911
Liverpool 1923
Liverpool 1947
United 1956
United 1957
Liverpool 1973
Liverpool 1976
Liverpool 1977
Liverpool 1979
Liverpool 1980
Liverpool 1982
Liverpool 1983
Liverpool 1984
Liverpool 1986
Liverpool 1988
Liverpool 1990
United 1993
United 1994
United 1996
United 1997
United 1999
United 2000
United 2001
United 2003
United 2007
United 2008
United 2009

You're missing
Liverpool 1964
United 1965
Liverpool 1966
United 1967

The Wizard

Yes this is true, he have proved to be best, we have acheived the greatest winning streak in Emglish domestic football history :)

It's great to be the best :)

VP

So next season will be the first time you go ahead in the stakes if the pattern is to be broken.
It's hardly a pattern.

A pattern is something that keeps happening regularly. For instance, Liverpool not winning the league year and after year despite it being their year is a pattern. :D

Vinay

Muppet in Training
If we are speaking superstition, then, I'm a little wary of winning the CL this year. It'd take us to 18-4. That's the record on which Liverpool were stuck for such a long time... :nervous: