g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

In an open market: 5 most valuable players in the world?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I think a world class player has a top level overall game, not just in moments.

By saying that you are discrediting Maradona which was more of a "moments" world class player, in that sense Leo Messi was more impactful through the whole game than Diego.

Maradona himself was 100% invisible in the final against Germany in 1986, but then he made a beautiful pass to Burruchaga to score the winner.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Mbappe had games like that in the CL before, even when PSG lost, it just didn't happens this season against Bayern where he was poor.

By saying that you are discrediting Maradona which was basically a "moments" world class player, in that sense Leo Messi was more impactful than Diego could ever be.

Maradona himself was 100% invisible in the final against Germany in 1986, but then he made a beautiful pass to Burruchaga to score the winner.

Hammondo

By saying that you are discrediting Maradona which was more of a "moments" world class player, in that sense Leo Messi was more impactful through the whole game than Diego.

Yes Messi was better.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Mbappe in the CL for PSG: 0,72 goals/90
Mbappe in the CL for PSG against top 5 league teams: 0,54 goals/90
Mbappe in Ligue 1 and Coupe de France for PSG: 1,0 goals/90

That might be pretty much the same to you, but it isn't for most.

Ligue 1 will be ranked outside top 5 Leagues in Europe next season. Both Eredivisie and the Portuguese league has a chance to surpass them.
The imbalance in strength and economy between PSG and the rest of Ligue 1 is probably the worst we have seen in a top 10 league in a long time if not ever.
I dont see how Mbappé could average 1.0 goal per game in ligue 1 and cups for PSG since he never had a 1 goal per game season since he arrived at PSG as far as i know.

On top of that, the imbalance in economy doesnt mean there's an equal imbalance in strength, not when you spend a fortune in Neymar's (injured half the year) and Messi (professionnal walker) with no striker, no player that can bring depth other than Mbappé and overpriced bang average players you had to loan (while paying there salary) to replace them with other overpriced average players.

This season is probably the worst of the decade for PSG when you take a look at what's actually going on on the pitch.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Almost....
Are basically saying Mbappes penaltygoals in the WC-final in the end was just as meaningless as Haalands 9 goals against Hunduras in the U20 WC?
And the guy who can score 9 in a match couldn't score 3, including 2 penalties, in a match if he played for the reigning world champions?

If Robocop equals Haaland that is.
Mbappé single-handedly turned the tables and dragged his team back into it. The world champioms were going through the motions and he made things happen picking up balls some way away from the box and terrorising that defence. In fact, he sliced through them like a hot knife through butter time and again.

What I'm saying is Haaland doesn't have that in his locker at all. He would have most definitely scored the Kolo Muani chance at the end but would have been completely impotent as far as shaking things up is concerned.

Completely different players.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Mbappe
Haaland
Vini
Kvara
Osimhen

Neither Saka or Rashford will ever leave England so have hugely diluted values.

Bellingham is the most valuable English player.

Dannn411

For the foreseeable future, its going to be:

1. Mbappe
2. Haaland
3. Vinicius Jr.

Not sure of the final two spots as those are based on current form that may not be there next year. But on current form you'd put Khvaratshkelia in there and probably Saka or Osimhen. But the top 3 have shown that they are not just flashes in the pan.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Why would they have diluted values? The Premier League clubs are happy to overpay.
The thread premise is ‘open market’. The pair won’t move overseas so the only bidding war would be between PL teams and nobody is buying either of them for £100m+

Pronewbie

Peep
The thread premise is ‘open market’. The pair won’t move overseas so the only bidding war would be between PL teams and nobody is buying either of them for £100m+
All it takes is 1 club to want them. Spurs rejected City's £100M bid for Kane. PSG have always been linked to Rashford. Saka if available - I can see Madrid, Man City and Liverpool being interested at £100M+

UnrelatedPsuedo

All it takes is 1 club to want them. Spurs rejected City's £100M bid for Kane. PSG have always been linked to Rashford. Saka if available - I can see Madrid, Man City and Liverpool being interested at £100M+
True. I just think the other 5 will go for more.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The Cafe personified.

He didn't do well in one game, therefore he's overrated.
I don't think you can find a single player in the history of the game that didn't have bad or average games on a quite regular basis.
Mbappe disappeared when PSG needed him the most in their biggest match of the season....and he's still one of the top 3 players in the world right now. Both is possible.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I don't think you can find a single player in the history of the game that didn't have bad or average games on a quite regular basis.
Mbappe disappeared when PSG needed him the most in their biggest match of the season....and he's still one of the top 3 players in the world right now. Both is possible.
Obviously, he's, arguably, the best player in the World, right now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Honestly I’d have Haaland above Mbappe.

Mbappe is clearly a more talented footballer but Haaland is just a goal scoring freak of nature and goals are the most valuable asset in football. Nobody else in the world can do what Haaland does.
Yet despite all his goals City look like they're about to surrender the title to Arsenal.